News:

"The truth is stranger than fiction, but not stranger than fanfiction."

Main Menu

08. Slay the True Fae! Fight the Power!

Started by Corwin, September 17, 2010, 02:41:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corwin

<--->

[16:17] <Kallen> The day passes without much incident. Charlie's son has gone to bed by the time he leaves for the Winterwatch- rather early, all things considered. Between Charlie's own need to sleep they didn't see each other much during the day, and soon enough he's returning to the library to meet up with the others. (More)
[16:21] <Kallen> Ivy likewise meets him outside, though Phi appears to be a bit late. When they head in, however, even the interior of the library has a frosty chill to it, despite the power of modern heating. The reason is soon revealed- when they head into the basement to commence ruminations, there are already voices speaking from beneath. A blue-skinned titan of a man is present- it can be none other-
[16:23] <Kallen> -than the Mountain King, the present ruler of the Winter Court and final word of authority when it comes to the Winterwatch. His hair and beard seem carved from chunks of craggly ice, ill-befitting the frosted suit he wears. An ordinary human loiters in a corner of the room, shivering, whilst Marduk appears to be napping and Handspan sits at his desk.  
[16:24] <Kallen> The King grunts. "We meet again," he rumbles.
[16:25] * Ivy finds herself curious enough about the human in their ranks. Whatever the Mountain King's business with the Winterwatch, it is bound to be revealed to them at his convenience and there is no sense in rushing.
[16:25] * Charlie bows politely.
[16:27] * Ivy smiles just as politely, looking towards the King expectantly.
[16:28] * Phi pokes his head back through the library door, his eyes quickly landing on the King.
[16:28] <Phi> "Oh. Uh. Hi."
[16:29] * Phi steps in awkwardly, glasses on, and does his best to act he's part of the furniture.
[16:34] <Phi> *act like
[16:36] <Kallen> "I have been brought out of my castle with the promise of great potential," he proclaims, peering at Phi and frowning heavily. "That there is a weapon with which the True Fae can be slain. These may be the musings of a madman. There may be truth in it." He glances towards Marduk, still lying on his improptu bed.
[16:36] <Kallen> "I know this- that if it exists, it is forged in blood. That is good. It is a time of conflict in my city. Of great sorrow. That is good. We must foster it. Let it grow, so this weapon can come to fruition. Hasten it, so the struggle burns out before Spring comes."
[16:38] <Phi> "So we've gotta go round and let him kill things, basically?"
[16:38] * Charlie raises an eyebrow at this, but continues listening.
[16:43] <Kallen> "One man alone cannot inflict the needed carnage before the Knights of Man come to protect their serfs," replies the King, spreading his arms. "The brawls and feuds already in place are the beginning, for a lone man could be stopped, but an army is not so easily hindered. The flames must be stoked! We must seize the opportunity, before the Fae rally their forces and slay our means to fight them!"
[16:45] <Phi> "So...we've ALL gotta go around and kill things. That's...a lot more dangerous, yeah."
[16:45] * Charlie raises another eyebrow and waits for the King to finish.
[16:46] * Ivy blinks, but suppresses her desire to speak up just yet.
[16:46] <Phi> "Maybe we should just cut the middleman and make our own gang? Get them to fight the Black Dogs rather than, well, us doing it. That'll get you your conflict, right?"
[16:49] <Kallen> "Yes, that is what he means! To stir the gangs against each other, above and beyond their present rivalries!" blurts out Handspan, looking beside himself with horror and wonder. "Just so. Whatever needs to be done." He points towards Marduk. "The fountain bubbles within his dreams. Have the villians slay each other, and watch it grow in strength! Then, and only then, can we conquer the fae!" (more)
[16:56] <Kallen> "The sorrow wreaked from these battles will strengthen us," he adds, pounding his fists together with an icy crack. "The Fae will think we are hiding- as my Knights would prefer it," he adds, grimacing. "Merely letting the serfs slay one another, until in one swift stroke, we will strike! My vision of winter is not mere cowardice, as my predecessor believed!"
[16:57] * Phi would say that the King sounds like he belongs in the Summer Court, but he likes his head where it is, thank you very much.
[16:58] <Ivy> "I regret terribly not having in me that desire to do what you feel needs to be done," Ivy tells the King apologetically. "Since your way is set, I suppose this means my resignation from the Winterwatch, effective immediately?"
[16:59] * Charlie examines the King, very closely. "Sir. Might I ask what it is you have been doing, particularly over the last week?"
[17:00] <Phi> "Me, I'm all for it. We need to get that weapon out of the hairball as soon as we can. Because, uh, Marduk will probably want to get on with his life without having some artifact of unimaginable power trapped in his chest. Yeah."
[17:01] <Phi> "Just as long as we're working behind the scenes, and we aren't out there doing the killing ourselves. Not really into getting my hands dirty..."
[17:09] <Kallen> The King turns slowly, and peers towards Ivy. "You dare? You dare to leave the Winterwatch during the time of need and action?" he asks, eyes frosting over with glassy shards of ice. "Do you believe the Spring Court would shelter you in the event of such betrayal? Do you believe the ancient pledges which protect us from the Fae's watching eyes will be extended to you?"
[17:13] * Ivy looks contrite, but responds as firmly as she is able to. "I regret that you perceive it as a betrayal, but I don't plan on killing people for the chance to slay a true fae in the aftermath. To be perfectly honest, I did not expect the Winter Court to wish for that, either. It is not my place to decide the court's direction, however. All I can be responsible for is my own actions. If you believe that I should be removed from your protection during this time, then it is my price to pay for my decision."
[17:18] <Kallen> "Coward! Like the rest of them, and worse yet for discarding your moment of bravery! See where you are without us, and know what cowardice without power shall avail you of!" declares the Winter King, clenching a fist. "Begone from my sight!"
[17:19] * Phi is slightly dumbstruck by Ivy's refusal to go along with the plan.
[17:19] <Phi> "Oh. Uh. Well. Bye?"
[17:21] * Ivy bows before the Winter King. "As you wish." She could stay and argue against the callousness of his plan, but it seems unlikely to bear any fruit. Nodding at Handspan, Charlie and Phi, she proceeds outside.
[17:23] * Phi watches as Ivy makes her way out of the library, twiddling his thumbs. He never did get that date, did he?
[17:23] <Phi> "...Anyway. What's the plan for Project May-uh, I mean heating up this gang warfare?"
[17:24] * Charlie whistles softly, awaiting the King's answer.
[17:28] <Kallen> Shards of ice crack from the Mountain King's arms, dropping and shattering on the floor. "I have been managing my estates, and dealing with the magistrates of Man as they seek to undermine my subjects. My struggles are not as glorious as yours, but with petty affairs of state. Yet there is a time when these concerns must be cast aside!"
[17:29] <Charlie> "Aha.  So you have but now met Messer Marduk?"
[17:32] <Kallen> "Indeed. I heard only of his potential when Handspan communicated it to me," he replies. "I have spoken with him today and made pledge with him to watch his dreams. Inside, I saw the fountain of which he speaks."
[17:33] <Phi> "So did you see the weapon? And do you have any idea how many people we'd have to, uh, take care of to get it?"
[17:39] <Kallen> "It is not yet prepared, but I saw the hand that would grant it- a hand I have seen before. Long ago, in bygone years, I freed myself with such a power, granted by that pale arm." He clenches his fists. "The conflict must be between scores of men, throwing themselves at one another. Would that we could safely send him to a far-off war..."
[17:39] <Charlie> "And what will it do?"
[17:43] <Kallen> "It will shatter the pledges that give a fae substance! It is a weapon we will carry forth into the Hedge! With it, we can call forth and strike down the Jager and the Reine, and my city will be free of them at last! They cannot resist," he adds. "They cannot resist their children returning to see them."
[17:43] <Phi> "But...whose arm is this? It's not another Fae, is it?"
[17:44] <Kallen> "The Lady of the Lake is an ally of men," he replies, sombrely. "I will not hear words against her."
[17:46] <Charlie> "I see.  And what proof have we that this will work?"
[17:53] <Phi> "Wait, the Lady of the Lake? As in King Arthur and all that? Here?"
[17:54] <Kallen> "I freed myself with a weapon granted from that fountain, by that arm," replies the Mountain King. "I remember the cold years, the war between those two. How it would bubble with blood when the conflict thickened, and the hand would reach forth and beckon. For so long, I was a coward- until one day, I reached back. That weapon gave me the strength to fight my way free! The very same," he adds-
[17:54] <Kallen> -with an imperial nod.
[17:55] <Kallen> "The pacts that sealed me in were rent apart with a wave of the hand. The Reine fled from me! From me! Even then, perhaps..."
[17:56] <Charlie> "Perhaps?"
[17:56] <Kallen> "Perhaps if I had been yet braver, she could have been struck down then," he replies. "The blade slipped from my grasp when I made the final push to freedom."
[17:58] <Phi> "And ended up in Marduk, somehow?"
[17:58] <Charlie> "I believe he means to say that it is in the lake, and will be granted to us by the Lady upon sufficient bloodshed.  Yes?"
[17:59] <Kallen> "I know not how that occured, but it is the very same. Yes, that is so. All besides, the conflict as it is is like a slow wound, waiting to fester. Better it be bled out swiftly, lest it remain to plague the Spring."
[18:03] <Charlie> "And... Sire, I intend no disrespect, but as a man of the Summer I have myself had to learn the ebbs and flows of the seasons.  Are you truly certain of this, in Winter?  What of the ancient oaths?"
[18:05] <Kallen> "The oaths exist to protect us from the Fae," he responds, solemly. "The time must be now! The Reine must already know her loss, and their restitution will be swift in coming if we do not act. We will no longer need the protections of Winter once we strike them down!"
[18:07] <Charlie> "Oh?"
[18:08] <Kallen> "You know why the courts are as they are, are founded as they are? It is a vestige of these oaths," he responds, solemly. "The first changelings fled the Hedge and begged the seasons to protect them, for they could not protect themselves. What need we will have of them once they are slain?"
[18:09] <Charlie> "Aye.  But the weapon was described as the Jaeger's bane, not that of all Fae."
[18:12] <Kallen> "The Jager as all he knew, and the one he most wished to destroy. A mere semantic trifle."
[18:12] <Phi> "And in the end, one less Fae is never a bad thing, right?"
[18:13] <Kallen> "They must both be slain," he responds, grimly. "Or we will remain vulnerable to the other until the seasons turn."
[18:14] <Charlie> "I... see."
[18:15] * Phi shrugs. "Well, it's either I go with this plan and things might go bad, or I run away, get caught up in the gang war anyway and things DEFINITELY go bad. So, uh. Sign me in, I guess?"
[18:15] <Kallen> "What say you, man of Summer? Let us make a pledge to see it through!"
[18:19] <Charlie> Charlie is very slow to reply.  "I... must first take some time to decide, Sire.  It is certainly an attractive prospect, yet I fear all may not be what it seems."
[18:23] <Charlie> A moment more, and he comes to some decision.  "I must make some calls, and discharge my other oaths.  I will return a reply as soon as possible.  Thank you for this audience."  So saying, he spins about and leaves with haste.
[18:23] <Kallen> Handspan emphatically nods his head from behind the Mountain King. "We must not tarry! You are assigned to slay his doppleganger? This must be done swiftly. You shall complete this and we will decide tomorrow."
[18:24] <Charlie> "Indeed!  Yes, that will suffice."
[18:24] <Kallen> "And you, m'boy!" he adds, clasping a frozen hand on Phi's shoulder. "You alone stand with greatest courage, though you be from the most fearful court! I shall grant you a boon!"
[18:25] * Charlie has his hand on his phone as he walks out the door, and dials Ivy on the way to his car.
[18:25] <Phi> "Uh. Thanks?"
[18:25] * Phi shivers a little from the King's icy touch.
[18:28] <Kallen> "I pledge my thanks and power to you! Genuflect to me and receive my blessings!" he declares, turning his palm up; an ornate flask of ice is conjured within.
[18:29] * Phi isn't the kind to turn down free bonuses from the courts, so slips down to his knees.
[18:29] <Kallen> The King bequeaths the vial unto Phi; despite the icy contents, it seems warm in his hands.
[18:31] <Phi> "Thanks, sir. So, do I drink this, or...?"
[18:31] <Kallen> "It will fill you with manly vigor," he declares. "Go to aid your brother of Summer! I shall see you tomorrow."
[18:32] * Phi likes the sound of Manly Vigor, and quickly downs the vial's contents.
[18:33] <Kallen> Phi feels energized!
[18:35] <Phi> "Whew. That stuff doesn't even sting coming down. Thanks, sir."
[18:36] <Kallen> "Go forth, and conquer in my name!"

<--->

[18:26] <Ivy> "You're done, then?"
[18:26] <Charlie> "He wanted me to pledge but I talked my way out of it until tomorrow.  This is the worst idea I've ever heard of, ever, even counting Phi the last few days."
[18:27] <Charlie> "There is a zero percent chance of it working and a one hundred percent chance that the Lady has gotten to his head.  I'm not entirely sure of how to go about removing the King of a Court, though."
[18:29] * Ivy snorts. "Phi aside, yes. Even Winter's traditions aside, yes. It is abhorrent. He is scaring his own people! I feel that my only good option is an appeal to Spring, before it is too late. Well, for the rest of us. It's probably too late for me."
[18:31] <Charlie> "Terrifying, yes.  He seems to have gotten Handspan to go along with it too.  I'll be calling the Summers, but it's... difficult for us to operate this time of year.  Spring or Autumn I'd just call for a coup and be done with it, but... I'm not sure.  The season dictates we just lie low until their hubris burns itself out, but that's only going to get people killed."
[18:32] <Ivy> "Come with me, then? They might listen to us both."
[18:33] <Charlie> "That's what I hoped you'd say.  Where to?"
[18:34] <Ivy> "I'm not that far, actually. Pick me up and I'll call to arrange an audience?"
[18:34] <Charlie> "Be right there."

<--->

[18:47] <Kallen> Ivy and Charlie unite in Charlie's car, which takes off away from the dismal library that was their headquarters for the past month. Ivy knows she can contact the ruler of Spring's secretary- in case of an emergency- and try to arrange an audience, though how cheerful she will be at being woken up past midnight is another matter.
[18:48] <Ivy> She would be far less cheerful if this plan strips protection from her and the rest of the city's Changelings as they remain unaware of it, and they have to move fast. Ivy makes the call as soon as she gets into Charlie's car.
[18:49] <Kallen> It takes six dials for the phone to finally be answered. "This is the office of Amanda Scott, I-"
[18:49] <Kallen> "Who is it, honey?"
[18:49] <Kallen> "It's work!"
[18:49] <Kallen> "God, your job sucks, you know that?"
[18:50] <Kallen> "Go back to sleep! Ahem. This is the office of Amanda Scott. I hope there's a really, really good reason for this."
[18:50] * Ivy coughs. "I would apologize for the timing, but the reason is truly a terrible one."
[18:52] <Kallen> "Excuse me a second," she hears, followed by some rustling and pacing. "This is breaking the rules, you know. We're not supposed to contact you until Winter's over, and vice versa. It is a real emergency?"
[18:52] <Ivy> "Unless something is done, Spring may not come for us. You tell me, does that count for one?"
[18:53] <Kallen> "Can you summarize?" asks the voice, apparently putting the frustration on hold for now.
[18:56] <Ivy> "Of course," Ivy says, hitting the speaker button. "I'm with Charlie right now, and we've just come from a meeting with the Winter King himself. Against the objections of his advisors and the head of the Winterwatch, Handspan, he has decided to escalate the low-grade war between humans via direct intervention. The Winter King believes this would allow him to slay all of the True Fae, and thus does not worry over breaking the ancient contracts in the course of his actions. This is the summary. What do we do next?"
[18:57] <Kallen> "Ah, yes. Slay the True Fae! Win back our freedom! Fight the power! No, seriously, not even he's that nuts... is what I'd really like to say."
[18:58] <Ivy> "I have objected to it as politely as possible, with the predictable result. Perhaps if I disappear, that would serve as sufficient proof of my words? I would really rather something is done before that, however."
[18:59] <Kallen> There is a low intake of breath. "He cut you off?"
[19:00] <Charlie> "Actually Handspan seems to be agreeing with him, which worries me.  But yes.  It seems the promise is actually coming from a third Fae, one who released him, and he, I quote, refuses to hear a word against her."
[19:00] <Ivy> "Yes. He may do the same to Charlie next, if Charlie does not accede to his demands by the morrow." Ivy frowns at the correction. "I suppose it was possible. I thought him frozen in fear, myself."
[19:01] <Kallen> "Look, um, I don't how how to put this. I can't let you see Amanda if you aren't under the Winter Court's protection. But this is nuts, I'll let her know what's going on. Charlie.. Charlie.. who's that?"
[19:02] <Charlie> "Charles Reiland, of the Summer Court."
[19:02] <Ivy> "Much as this seems to be about me, I don't want to see ordinary people or others like me perish as the result of this madness. Would it be acceptable for Charlie to have that audience in my stead to report all that has happened?"
[19:03] <Charlie> "I might add that in our book, what he's proposing amounts to consorting with Fae on top of killing people and being an imbecile.  I'm concerned this 'Lady of the Lake' has got to him somehow."
[19:04] <Ivy> "Even if entirely legitimate from that side, can we really sacrifice many people like this? If we stop him, I don't care to be branded a coward."
[19:06] <Kallen> "It's idiotic. Nobody's ever slain one of the Fae," agrees Lisa. "I'll arrange a meeting for tonight and text you the details. Look, um, Ivy, you're in danger. The Winter Court's protections hide us from the Fae's agents. Without them, it's.. it's like you're a single light in a dark forest. Don't stop moving. Get a full tank of gas and just drive around all night. That's the best way."
[19:07] <Ivy> She really should have gotten a driver's license, Ivy thinks in dismay. "I'll try to survive as long as I can be of use. You know how to contact me if you need me."
[19:09] <Kallen> "You'll be safer during the day, just stay with a crowd. But we're only halfway through Winter... we'll have to work something out, we can't do anything this far from Spring. I'll get you an appointment soon. Chat in a bit."
[19:09] <Ivy> "Good luck to us all."
[19:09] <Kallen> Lisa hangs up...

<--->

[19:14] <Ivy> Her best chances for survival may well lie elsewhere, and Ivy calls Phi afterwards.
[19:15] * Phi hears his cell ring, and picks up.
[19:15] <Phi> "Yo."
[19:16] <Ivy> "How have you been?"
[19:17] <Phi> "Well, last I checked there hasn't been anyone trying to cut me in half, so I'm pretty good right now."
[19:17] <Ivy> "That's nice. Have you had a chance to discover what your evil twin has been up to?"
[19:19] <Phi> "Ah. Not got much, to be honest - grainy camera of the guy robbing a weapon store. That's about it."
[19:21] <Phi> "It was weird. From what the camera showed, the guy just walked through the door and grabbed everything. No alarms, nothing. Either he screwed with the camera, or he's some sorta ghost."
[19:21] <Ivy> "That's better than I expected, all things considered. Not even a weapon on hand? I wonder what got him labeled as armed and dangerous...."
[19:24] <Phi> "Well, he robbed a gun store. Rifles, ammo, equipment, the works. Figures they expect him to do something with all that firepower."
[19:26] <Ivy> "Ah. Now it does make sense in my head. If he's robbing a gun store, he might be expecting a visit." Ivy nods to herself. "How about Valiance Escorts? Did you manage to take a look into them?"
[19:27] <Phi> "Haven't had time for that lead, honest. I'll do a little digging when I'm not busy with the King and his gang warfare thing."
[19:28] <Ivy> "It's alright, you probably have more important things to worry about now."
[19:28] <Phi> "Yeah, like not dying."
[19:29] <Ivy> "There is that," Ivy agrees. "I'll be in touch."
[19:31] <Phi> "Try not to get killed."

<--->
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Corwin

<--->

[16:16] <Kallen> For about twenty minutes, Ivy and Charlie drive aimlessly through Valiance City, where it feels as though eyes are peering at them from every direction; a glimmer from a window appears as ice, a vagrant on the street seems to bear fangs, and the roads blend into some inky, white-studded maze. When the phone rings again, it's almost a relief. (More)
[16:18] <Kallen> The voice is soft, yet firm, and speaks with a rustle of leaves- "Lady Morgan, Sir Reiland, I presume? We elected to hold our correspondance while you were on the move rather than arranging a concrete meeting at this stage. You *will* forgive my rudeness."
[16:19] * Charlie lets Ivy handle it at first.
[16:22] <Ivy> "There is nothing to forgive, Highness," Ivy responds pleasantly. "Under the circumstances, it is only understandable. Charles and I thank you for this opportunity to make our appeal."
[16:23] * Charlie nods! It probably does not convey over the phone.
[16:27] <Kallen> "We are quite perturbed by the allegations Lisa has forwarded to us," she responds. "You have put it to us that the Winter King is shirking his duties as the liege of the land, and means to bring the agony of war to our peaceful soil?"
[16:28] <Ivy> "What we have reported to Lisa is nothing but the truth, Highness," Ivy says in response, as firm as she is polite. "To summarize it further, the Winter King demanded that we pledge allegience to his plan of stirring up war between the city's inhabitants, and insisted that even the ancient contracts protecting us would no longer matter once this lead to an overwhelming victory over the True Fae."
[16:31] <Charlie> "Also," Charlie now cannot stop himself from putting in, "it seems this plan itself was given to him by another Fae."
[16:34] * Ivy inclines her head towards Charlie in acknowledgement, as that detail is quite the crucial one.
[16:47] <Kallen> "You cannot fight the sea or the sky," she responds. "We are restricted. In this time, the Winter King's rule is absolute, and those who do not abide by his rulings would lose the favour of his protection- as you have discovered. To a court, this would also apply, should those bearing our mantle obstruct him in numbers. All us children of spring would shine like flares to their depredations.
[16:47] <Kallen> "Worse still, he commands the loyalty of several knights by pledges of fealty, who are thus bound to come to his aid should he be assaulted or impeded, no matter their feelings. Thus any action against him must be taken in the greatest secrecy..."
[16:52] * Ivy shifts in her seat. That's hardly what she wanted to start with, but it seems she has little choice in the matter, if she wants to follow her convictions. "I am yours to command, Majesty. Do you have a plan where we might succeed in averting the tragedy of this war?"
[16:57] <Kallen> "We have discussed and considered two routes. The first is to disarm the would-be combatants," she replies. "What hand spurred these fellows to fight one another to the death? With all the grandeur and majesty of civilization, why are they prompted to behave like dogs? Whatever the answer, without his toy soldiers, the King cannot so easily have his violent whimsy play out." (More)
[16:58] <Kallen> "Yet a more permanent solution presents itself. The Winter Court is with it's own traditions and idiosyncracies, even in the selection of the monarch. Were another from that court able to claim the Winter Crown, stewardship of the court's Mantle and pledges would pass to him."
[17:00] * Ivy glances at Charlie for confirmation as she says, "It appeared to me that the Winter King was willing to do whatever was necessary to cause bloodshed, due to firmly believing that this would grant him his weapon. Even if the gangs were prevented from fighting, there would be little we could do about his own subordinates."
[17:03] * Charlie growls unhappily. "Handspan's bought into it too, so don't look to him to be doing anything. Actually... Handspan knew Marduk was coming and sent us out on this whole mess in the first place, now that I think about it.... no, anyway, you guys got someone in mind?"
[17:03] * Ivy shakes her head. "I'm not that familiar with the Winter Court, I'm afraid."
[17:04] <Charlie> "Yeah, me neither."
[17:12] <Kallen> "The Winter Court is not as tightly bound as it may seem," she replies. "The mantle does not demand the total service of all within it, certainly not in the realms of warfare. No ruler could take that from all his subjects. Not only that, but should his own subordinates bloody their hands to any truly significant extent, they, too, would become exempt from the Winter Court's protections, and it is not something that is easily reinstated. That is why the use of proxies must be.
[17:12] <Kallen> "As for candidates, we know of a liasons from the Winter Court, Harry Farthington, one who deals in matters of diplomacy between Valiance and New York, and upholds the spirit as well as the letter of the Court's ideals. He is a sombre man who holds an intense loyalty to his court, and would surely look askance at what the King seeks.
[17:12] <Kallen> "The younger members, too- they have a gathering-place, a winter home in the hills where they lodge until spring. How would they feel, knowing that the promise to hide them from the Fae is to be broken? They are young- as you are- but they too can feel rage at a broken promise, no matter if it be a pledge or simply words.
[17:12] <Kallen> "There is of course another way to end the Winter Court's ambitions," she adds, though she hesistates before continuing. "By removing the possibility of them coming to fruition from the picture entirely. The King's reaction would be impossible to guess, but..."
[17:16] * Ivy thinks she guesses at what is being said here, but ignores it. "Harry Farthington and the winter home?" she repeats. "Where might we find them, Highness?"
[17:20] <Charlie> "I think I can guess pretty well, actually - he'd go wild, claim he didn't need Marduk anyway and start the bloodshed himself.  If you're gonna talk about removing someone, aim straight for the top."
[17:21] <Kallen> "The winter home is a drive out from the city, about an hour or so," she responds. "Farthington makes use of a hollow in an abandoned trainyard, preferring not to exist completely within one city, and from where he can make journies through the hedge towards New York if need be... no, he can't be killed. Not before a new Winter King is ready to take the throne."
[17:25] <Ivy> "But other than this, are we effectively on our own?" Ivy asks the question that has been bothering her for a while now. "The Spring Court or its members won't be able to aid us beyond information, at most?"
[17:36] <Kallen> "We can do more than that, as long as we do not actively interfere with the Winter Court's minions in the line of duty," she replies. "We will be attempting to gather intelligence on the politics between these gangs, as provided by the city police force. Should the location of a conflict become known to you in advance, we can also make arrangements for them to be on the scene." (More)
[17:47] <Kallen> "Furthermore, we have arranged for a pair of tokens that should be of use to be made avaliable to you shortly. The Boots of Dead Men are something more befitting of the Winter court, and they would give you some ability to hide from the hounds of the Fae. Take a care when donning them, for they will sap your spirit if worn overmuch." (more)
[17:50] <Kallen> "The other is the Cup of Misgivings, and by it's use, all those about you will begin to have second thoughts, will come to question if the course of action they intend to take is correct. When placed on a wooden table, it will slowly begin to fill as it aborbs these thoughts until it overflows. It can be used to delay hasty action, and create an opportunity to shift someone's desires." (more)
[17:51] <Kallen> "The beverage created will inflict the same effect on a man. Do note that you are not immune to the effects yourself, and it will rarely work on the same being twice."
[17:55] <Ivy> "I can see the uses, if we were to negotiate with gangs," Ivy agrees. "That should indeed ease such a task, Highness." She pauses, momentarily unsure of what else remains to be said. "Should I contact Lisa come morning? I am considering taking temporary refuge in the Hedge for the rest of the night, and would therefore be out of contact."
[17:58] <Charlie> "You're welcome to stay with me if you like." Charlie adds quietly.  "Whatever you think is safer."
[17:59] <Kallen> "We would appreciate regular reports. We will also keep you informed of any changes to the situation... although we are wary of contacting the other courts at this time," she adds. "The Summer Court is not without those would may see merit in the King's approach, and our relations with Autumn have always been strained."
[18:01] * Charlie snorts. "Diplo-speak for 'Summer court knows damn well not to engage a losing battle, but they'd just knock off the King regardless of any replacement.'"
[18:01] * Ivy smiles at Charlie in gratitude.
[18:03] <Kallen> "I'm sure you're far more acquainted with them than we are," admits Scott. "We will leave the items in your mailbox, Sir Reiland, if you would be kind enough to let us. Tt would be possible for us to make suitable victuals avaliable, though they must be handed over by courier."
[18:07] <Charlie> "Sure thing.  I'll be out and about all of tomorrow, though... the dolls, sorry fetches, I do need to take care of those no matter what."
[18:17] <Kallen> "You must follow your pledges, too," replies Scott. "Lisa is to expect a call tomorrow, then, and we shall pray for good news in the coming days."
[18:19] * Ivy nods to herself. "I'll do my best, Majesty."
[18:20] <Kallen> When the call is ended, Ivy discovers... that she had another call while she was on the phone! In this case, it's from Phi, and he has opted to leave the following message-
[18:20] <Phi> "Yeah, Ivy? Phi. Did your research. Valiance Escorts is exactly what it sounds like on the outside, but it looks like there might be a link between this place opening up and those government fetish scandals from a few months back. Apparently run by a woman called Miledy Blossom - no, that's not a joke - who's got a history as a drug runner."
[18:20] <Phi> "That's about all I can get you. I'm not liking what I see, though. Tell Kyle that the internet can get him all the women he needs for free and that he should stay the hell away from that place if he can. Later."
[18:23] <Ivy> As expected, really. Placing her phone away, Ivy turns towards Charlie. "Your offer to keep me company is quite gracious. If we are to keep on driving through the night, however, could you really function properly tomorrow? I was hoping to discover a hiding place in the Hedge for myself to remove the need to spend nights driving around. Would you like to come with me?"
[18:26] <Charlie> "Mm.  Sure.  I don't know if the Hedge is any safer than the city, but if that's your preference."
[18:28] <Ivy> "The Hedge itself should trade my very specific danger at the moment for the danger of chance encounters, and if I were to actually discover a viable safe hole in the ground, so to speak, I might gain protection from the latter as well, at the expenditure of comfort."
[18:29] <Charlie> "Fair enough, just point the way.  You going to just stay in there or what?"
[18:33] <Ivy> "The rest of the night. Enough to get my rest, and moving during day-time should be easier as is, if I stick to crowds."
[18:35] <Charlie> "Good.  Give me a ring tomorrow if you need anything"
[18:41] <Ivy> "I've always wondered if a car's door would do," Ivy muses. "Mind parking? I might as well try it now."
[18:41] * Charlie parks!
[18:42] * Ivy brushes her hand over the window before opening the door, intent on stepping into the Hedge!
[18:47] <Kallen> Did this actually work? It must have, as when Ivy's foot hits the pavement, it's covered in pebbles. A path of cobblestones leads away from the car, through a tiny alley that she wasn't sure was there when she looked out the window, and on either side she is flanked by monstrous cliffs...
[18:48] <Ivy> Trusting in her instincts, Ivy proceeds down this path she had opened!

<--->
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake