News:

No longer content with mere attendance, the middle-class suburban poseurs have begun to put their hands in the air and wave them like they just don't care

Main Menu

Current watches

Started by Dracos, October 15, 2010, 03:20:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dracos

Currently glancing over Sora no Otohime, Super Robot Wars Inspectors, and Panty and Stocking this season.

Of those, P and S is most worth talking about.  It's crude, snappy, and kinda comes off as an american cartoon more in its crass nature.  Following a couple of horrific fallen angels and their daily ghost hunting job, I don't know if it will continue to be amusing, but is definitely worth a short watch.

Super Robot Wars, well, is off on an unimpressive trajectory.  Even as a fan of the game series, it's got the big problem that pretty much almost everyone isn't having any fun or energy with it.  It's mostly faithful, I suppose.  The original is pretty serious in the section they're covering, folks are frightened, people are dying, and hey that's what they got.  In fact, it is generally very faithful.  But really, with Excellen being the sole source of life in the group so far, it's about as hot-blooded as a fish.
Well, Goodbye.

Dracos

Still watching SRW:Inspector.  Still okay, not great.

PS&G alternates from pretty good to pretty bad.  Unique, definitely.  Mainly though hasn't gone anywhere consistently with its premise.  A lot of just random bits on the premise.  Some very funny, some reasonably provoking around the setting, but largely not ever taking them anywhere and accepting crudeness for it.
Well, Goodbye.

Ragnar

HYOUGEMONO.
Now I just need more eps to come out.
Also on the list: Fractale, Patlabor TV, Slayers TRY.
-Ragnar
"BUT THOU MUST!"

DannyCat|somewhere: Watch out, Huitzil. Encredible froce is being swang here.

thepanda

Just finished .hack//Quantum. I'd Honestly prefer this new house and director over the old ones for future projects. Also also, I still love the .hack series. Need new HD .hack games.

Dracos

Still watching SRW Inspectors.  (Hasn't finished it)

... .Hack is still like, out there?  Seriously?
Well, Goodbye.

thepanda

Quote from: Dracos on May 27, 2011, 04:44:52 AM
Still watching SRW Inspectors.  (Hasn't finished it)

... .Hack is still like, out there?  Seriously?

Hah! Surprised me, too. Quantum is a done in 3 OAV. I swear there is more action and tension in these three episodes than there was in the last two tv series.

Guess I'll watch Gundam Unicorn and maybe marathon Kara no Kyoukai this weekend.

thepanda

Nichijou is hands down the funniest thing I'm watching this season. If you haven't tried it yet you should get on that. You might want to skip episode 00, though. It has some pacing issues that the actual season doesn't have.

Jon

First two eps of Black Lagoon are pretty okay. I could honestly take it or leave it, but I felt the same thing about Cowboy Bebop, which led to me missing out on some awesome for quite a while. People assure me it gets really good later on. I hope they weren't lying.

Dracos

I find the first two eps one of the stronger small chunks of it personally.
Well, Goodbye.

thepanda

Just finished Dog Days and Ichiban Ushiro no Daimaou.

Dog Days began interestingly enough, but god did it degenerate quickly. The last few episodes were so, so boring and dragged on so, so long. The tension was nonexistent, the animation was on the lower end of modern animation, and it was just plain mediocre all around. I liked the characters; I just think they deserved to be in a better show. Verdict: Pass on it.

Ichiban Ushiro no Daimaou, on the other hand, was pretty good all around. Actually, it reminds me of Sora no Otoshimono with more and better fight scenes. The story moves quickly, the jokes mostly work, the voice acting is good, the fanservice isn't as in-your-face as Sora no Otoshimono, and the ending is satisfying. The animation is better than Dog Days which is sad because it is older than Dog Days. Where Dog Days was a chore to finish, Ichiban Ushiro no Daimaou was a joy. Once I started I couldn't stop watching until the end. I wouldn't mind seeing an OAV for this.

Dracos

Recently watched through Puella Magi Madoka.  Pretty neat, if dark.  Chomp!  Chomp Chomp! :3  Also, Sayuka is a complete self-righteous bitch.  That is all.

Anime marathon'd so...some others...let's see..

Jellyfish Princess - So much sugar.  A group of six girls who couldn't survive.  Also Manly Princess Crossdresser.  Too sugary for me to handle in large doses.

Nuriyan No Mago - Still sort of feel the manga is better, but much like the manga did, the anime started picking up steam after a bit.  Yuki-onna for the win.

Blue Exorcist - ah...animation quality was nice, and some parts of it were pretty neat...  but the 'younger' twin brother is a complete ass.  And the premise behind their relationship is pretty much a 'So we've all been lying to you for years and years for no good reason at all and treating you like it is all your fault.'  Pretty much the less he talks, the better the anime is.  I'll probably give it another try after giving a little more space, but seriously, the main character comes across as a saint next to SuperYoungerBrother.  "So, we've established one thing in this argument, even though I'm a horrible unspeakable monster and you're a Mary Sue, I am clearly the better person.  I learned I don't try and kill my own flesh and blood because he's an insufferable self-righteous jerk."

That said, they dump a lot on the main character.  So I might not.  It establishes him as more awesome by surviving it rather than lame, and clearly it's going to stop at some point...but it bugs me that he's basically taking responsibility for legitimate mistakes that, while he caused, are a natural side effect of years of deception.  "So we kept you in the dark about all this important stuff, so we could yell at you later about it."
Well, Goodbye.

thepanda

YURIYURI IS BORING. gah

thepanda

Just finished Pretty Cure DX3. Awesomesause.

"Eh?! P-Precures?"

"There's so many! What is going on?!"

"I greatly understand that sentiment."

Arakawa

The Second Law of Magical Girls: as the number of seasons in a Magical Girl show increases, the number of Magical Girls in the show also increases.

In Madoka,
Spoiler: ShowHide

the only show that I know of where the number of active Magical Girls in the cast generally decreases with time, the reversal of the Second Law is of course being accomplished by the Incubator's nefarious entropy-reducing magic.

(Am I being too zealous with my spoiler tags at this point?)
That the dead tree with its scattered fruit, a thousand times may live....

---

Man was made for Joy & Woe / And when this we rightly know / Thro the World we safely go / Joy & Woe are woven fine / A Clothing for the soul divine / Under every grief & pine / Runs a joy with silken twine
(from Wm. Blake)

thepanda

Quote from: Arakawa Seijio on September 11, 2011, 09:41:05 PM
(Am I being too zealous with my spoiler tags at this point?)

Well, technically
Spoiler: ShowHide
 they revealed a crap load of magical girls all a once. Of course, that was throughout history/the future and they were all dying but they weren't quite dead when we saw them so... Feel free to spoiler tag as much as you want.