News:

You have made a powerful enemy today, stop sign.

Main Menu

[20] Dear god, that smell!

Started by Merc, March 13, 2011, 02:16:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Merc

Session Start: Sun Jun 06 18:01:26 2010

<Merc> It's time to track down the source of that unnatural snake creature that attacked that small settlement they were resting at! Both Elise and Aleph look to be back to full health after Jack's and Anassia's first aid, not to mention a night of rest. Anassia, on the other hand, looks groggy and dazed, holding her head as if suffering a migraine as the group gets ready to try and track the source of the strange and dangerous snake.
<Maya_Mahabala> "Everyone feeling alright?" Maya asked the group as she stretched out in front of the inn, clearly ready to get going herself.
<Elise> "I am fully recovered and ready to smite evil," Elise says confidently.
<Aleph> "I'm fine.  Let's deal with these things.  Preferably before they decide to try and kill Elise and I again."
<Maya_Mahabala> "I think giant snake monsters count more as an animal threat than evil...but we're going to gut them all the same," She smiled swaying to her feet.  "Anyone want to take point at trying to track them in the woods?"
<Merc> "Just a headache...overextended myself a bit last night," Anassia replies to Maya's earlier question, wincing a bit as the sun shines high above, and giving a small groan. If you'd care to look, she has a few small scars around her hands and arms.
<Aleph> "I'll go.  If nothing else, they'll find us." Aleph replies sarcastically
* Aleph does indeed lead the way. Confident that if his skills don't help...reptiles' apparent hate for him will handle it anyway
* Ataru is now known as Jack_
* Elise follows right behind their fearless leader!
* Maya_Mahabala keeps on her toes, moving behind Aleph as well.
<Aleph> roll 1d20+6 Survival
<Penuche> Aleph invokes Penuche's magic: < 18 > [d20=12]
* Aleph is leading the way and searching for a trail, using one of his knives to cut through jungle when necessary, but keeping one hand on his bow just in case something much larger came up
<Merc> Aleph carefully (and easily) tracks the trail left by the huge snake. Lots of snapped branches and squished earth to follow the trail through. Some minutes after they've started to advance...
<Merc> ooc: listen checks.
<Elise> roll 1d20-2 epic as always
<Penuche> Elise invokes Penuche's magic: < 14 > [d20=16]
<Aleph> roll 1d20+10 Listen
<Penuche> Aleph invokes Penuche's magic: < 15 > [d20=5]
<Aleph> (Penuche, don't start this now)
<Merc> roll d20+7 robo-mage
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 12 > [d20=5]
<Jack_> roll 1d20+11
<Penuche> Jack_ invokes Penuche's magic: < 16 > [d20=5]
<Maya_Mahabala> roll 1d20+8
<Penuche> Maya_Mahabala invokes Penuche's magic: < 10 > [d20=2]
<Merc> Jack and Aleph faintly hear some creaking and branches snapping from some distance back, closer to the settlement, as if something is following them but keeping it's distance.
<Maya_Mahabala> "Well, it's a peaceful walk so far," Maya smiled, continuing along after Aleph.
* Jack_ glances behind him
<Merc> ooc: spot check, Jak!
<Jack_> roll 1d20+11
<Penuche> Jack_ invokes Penuche's magic: < 26 > [d20=15]
<Merc> Jack can see...bones! There are bones following them in the distance! Not just -any- bones, but a huge freaking snake of a skeleton!
<Jack_> "What the fuck is that?"
* Maya_Mahabala swings her sword quickly out.  "I didn't know we were fighting undead snakes."
* Elise turns quickly. "What is what?!"
<Merc> Anassia looks back at Jack's exclamation, momentarily startled, but calms when spotting the snake, standing still waiting for the group to continue moving. "Oh, that's just Coily. He's the reason for my headache...I'm sure he'll make a good guard though!"
<Elise> "He--what? I don't understand. Do I need to smite this or not?"
<Jack_> "...."
<Jack_> "That's a lot bigger than a squirrel."
<Jack_> "Not nearly as cute, either."
<Maya_Mahabala> "Mages," She rubbed her nose. "I don't think it gets smited, Elise.  It smites our enemies."
<Maya_Mahabala> "You have odd tastes, Anassia."
* Elise frowns. "Giant snake skeletons aren't usually agents of justice...Anassia, you'd better keep thins thing under control!"
<Merc> "They might have more huge snakes where this one came from. I figured having an ace in the back of our sleeve would help...even if it did give me one heck of a headache..." Anassia replies.
<Jack_> "You could have, you know, mentioned this earlier..."
<Merc> "It won't be a problem, Elise. If it was going to kill me, it would have done so when I first animated it..." Anassia pauses and laughs nervously. "Not that it was a risk, or anything though, okay?"
<Merc> "...I forgot because of the headache?"
* Jack_ facepalms
<Jack_> "Neither convinving nor reassuring
<Elise> "Well...as long as it's tame. But I'm breaking it's skull if it tries anything evil on us."
<Jack_> *convincing
<Maya_Mahabala> "You break the skull of anything that tries evil on us," Maya deadpanned.
<Elise> "That's what you're supposed to do with evil," elise says with a shrug.
* Joins: Navilee (~Navikarz@71-217-14-11.tukw.qwest.net)
* Navilee is now known as Anassia
<Aleph> "That...is huge"  Aleph comments, looking back momentarily, before hacking through jungle brush again
<Aleph> ...right before smacking yet another irritating bug
<Anassia> "That's one of the reasons I thought of it," she comments back idly, glancing toward it again as it begins to slither down the tree and toward the party as casually as a giant skeleton snake can.  The fact it has spines doesn't help it in the PC department, either.
<Merc> Onward the group continues, Aleph tracking the path. Minutes turn to hours eventually, though just as the group is beginning to think Aleph might have gotten lost somewhere, they can see the trees thinning up ahead. A clearing. From the looks of things, there's some...structure? ahead.
* Elise watches it carefully for any signs of disobedience!
<Aleph> "...the hell is that?"
<Maya_Mahabala> "Well, let's go check it out.  We'll know more when we're closer."
* Anassia has taken to sitting sideways on the snake casually rather than /walking/ all the distance. When she sees the structure, thought, she slides off casually. "I hope there's something; all this walking with no payoff..." she shakes her head faintly.
<Merc> ooc: You guys just going to the clearing full stop, being sneaky, or what?
<Jack_> "If it's that asshole with the T-Rex again, I'm gonna be right irritated."
<Elise> "You're not walking at all!" Elise shakes a fist. "Lazy Anassia!"
<Aleph> ooc: Definitely being sneaky
<Aleph> "...At least he didn't have you chewed on"
<Anassia> "Lazy?" Anassia asks, glancing over toward Elise.  "I'm simply conserving my strength.  Besides, I had a headache.  And I was bitten by that dinosaur too, if you'll recall."
<Maya_Mahabala> "Don't be irritated.  Kick him in the face," She nodded. "It's not good to get angry, it puts wrinkles on your skin," She smiled, patting her soft skin.
<Aleph> "You were.  That was...not fun."
* Maya_Mahabala sways forward, "Anyhow, nothing will happen if we stay here."
<Maya_Mahabala> OOC: Those who want sneaky should maybe hide/approach sneakily?
* Elise trails after Maya. She's not the sneaky type herself, after all.
* Aleph starts to go along the side in the trees and shadows, bow already drawn. Better to not be noticed, after all...
* Jack_ sneaks off to the side to commence with the sneakiness
<Aleph> roll 1d20+8 sneaky hiding
<Penuche> Aleph invokes Penuche's magic: < 26 > [d20=18]
<Aleph> roll 1d20+6 sneaky silent motion
<Penuche> Aleph invokes Penuche's magic: < 12 > [d20=6]
<Anassia> "No.  Which is why we should return the favor."  She stretches her arms over her head momentarily.  She does follow behind the others, though, after a moment, the snake looping up a nearby tree again.
<Jack_> roll 1d20+12  sneak
<Penuche> Jack_ invokes Penuche's magic: < 25 > [d20=13]
<Jack_> roll 1d20+12  sneak quietly
<Penuche> Jack_ invokes Penuche's magic: < 32 > [d20=20]
* Maya_Mahabala looks around now that she's closer?
<Merc> Aleph and Jack are both sneaking quietly ahead, to the edge of the clearing, though Aleph makes a bit of noise here and there, while Jack is as silent as the wind. Maya and Elise, meanwhile, just stomp loudly towards a spot themselves. Near the edge, they can all more closely spot the structure, apparently a stone pyramid, like a temple, an old one with an abandoned appearance due to cracks and overgrown vines around it. [ooc - more]
<Merc> There's also a huge hole blown in one of the sides, where the snake probably came from, looking at the trail.
<Merc> ooc: Spot checks
<Elise> "This must be some kind of heatehn temple. No wonder demon snakes ceom from here!"
<Aleph> roll 1d20+10 spot
<Penuche> Aleph invokes Penuche's magic: < 12 > [d20=2]
<Elise> roll 1d20-2
<Penuche> Elise invokes Penuche's magic: < 2 > [d20=4]
<Maya_Mahabala> "I hope not.  Magical giant snakes are worse than giant snakes."
* Anassia facepalms as Elise's declaration.
* Aleph was clearly looking to see if he could see the girls. Distracted from anything else, apparently
<Anassia> roll 1d20+7
<Maya_Mahabala> roll 1d20+8
<Penuche> Anassia invokes Penuche's magic: < 20 > [d20=13]
<Penuche> Maya_Mahabala invokes Penuche's magic: < 15 > [d20=7]
<Jack_> roll 1d20+11
<Penuche> Jack_ invokes Penuche's magic: < 23 > [d20=12]
<Merc> Off in the distance, almost hidden from view from where you all stand, Aassia and Jack see what looks to be stairs, coiling behind view around the temple...and a pair of men, in some primitive garb or armor, and holding spears, standing guard behind some boulders, alert and almost hidden.
<Anassia> "It looks like someone noticed our coming," Anassia says, glancing over towards the men in question.
<Aleph> "...there's people there?"
<Merc> Yup, at the very least two guards from the look of things, some...eighty feet away? Around there.
<Maya_Mahabala> "Hmm, what?  There's nobody here, Anassia."
<Anassia> "Maybe if you would pay attention to your surroundings," she says back to Maya before waving toward to two in what she hopes translates to a greeting and not 'I'm going to eat your soul'.  You know how primitive tribes are.
* Maya_Mahabala looks where Anassia's waving.
<Merc> Looking where Anassia's looking towards, Maya also spots the guards. Thankfully they're all far away enough that they haven't been noticed between the trees.
<Maya_Mahabala> "Shall we say hello?  They seem to be unruly sorts.  We could just have Aleph pincushion them."
<Anassia> "Yes, because we're sure that there's only two and they won't mind us murdering their friends," Anassia says back casually.
<Maya_Mahabala> "Oh, you're always too cautious.  Alright, come on, let's go give them a nose bleed," Maya headed over into view. "Hello!  What are you doing out here?"
<Anassia> "...yes, not wanting to murder people is because I'm too 'cautious'," Anassia says, giving Maya a sideways glance.
* Aleph watches the two as they approach the temple
* Elise trails alongside Maya.
<Merc> As Maya comes into view and calls out to them, both guards immediately stand straighter, pointing their spears towards Maya. One of them turns his head to the side, in the direction the stairs twist, and begins yelling in some unknown language.
* Jack_ continues with the sneaking
<Maya_Mahabala> "I don't understand that blather.  Do you?"  Maya wondered at the others.
<Aleph> "Not good, not good..."  Aleph takes his bow...and starts aiming at the man just in case.
* Anassia does not point her spear at them, although she keeps it in hand. "We... mean you no harm?" she tries. Surely they understand the language. They can't be /uncivilized/ barbarians. In a jungle. By a temple where giant snakes live. Yeah, it's probably futile./
<Merc> Jack quietly sneaks around the edge of the clearing, sticking by the trees for cover as he moves closer towards the gaping hole on the side of the temple while the others try to decide what to do about the guards, the guards themselves apparently doing the same in regards to you guys.
* Aleph is aiming at the guards
<Merc> As Maya and Anassia try to say calming words, they fail as the guards simply yell nonsense to them while making thrusting motions with their spears. It's a pretty universal 'Go away or we puncture your lungs' sort of message, really.
* Anassia glances over towards Maya. "I don't think they understand us," she says, simply. "I also think they want us to leave."
* Aleph continues to aim at the guards
<Elise> Elise is pretty close to employing her standard "this is where my hammer meets your skull" message. "We can't just leave," she protests. "We're on a *quest.* They get out of the way or we make them move."
<Anassia> "Clearly, we're at an impasse."  Anassia agrees with a nod.  "I was hoping they would understand our speech, but it looks like there's no way around it..."  She steps back a step to get her out of the range of the pointy sticks before glancing back to call her beautifully nightmarish creation to her.
<Maya_Mahabala> "I think I know the exact way to communicate with them in a way they understand," She nodded, eying Elise.  "It's a universal language that they've already shown they can understand."  She dashed to leap over their heads.
<Merc> ooc: Initiative
<Elise> roll 1d20+2
<Penuche> Elise invokes Penuche's magic: < 10 > [d20=8]
<Anassia> roll 1d20+2
<Penuche> Anassia invokes Penuche's magic: < 17 > [d20=15]
<Maya_Mahabala> roll 1d20+4 I really should surprise round them for suddenly darting out
<Penuche> Maya_Mahabala invokes Penuche's magic: < 16 > [d20=12]
<Jack_> roll 1d20+4
<Penuche> Jack_ invokes Penuche's magic: < 6 > [d20=2]
<Jack_> (ouch)
<Aleph> roll 1d20+4 yay surprises
<Penuche> Aleph invokes Penuche's magic: < 14 > [d20=10]
<Merc> roll d20+8 Coily
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 10 > [d20=2]
* Retrieving #truesteel modes...
<Merc> roll d20+3
<Merc> roll d20+3
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 10 > [d20=7]
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 4 > [d20=1]
* Merc changes topic to 'Anassia > Maya > Aleph > Coily > Guard 1 > Elise > Jack > Guard 2'
<Merc> ooc: Anassia
* Anassia will adopt a defensive and intimidating pose, although not making any overt gesture of hostility. Being 80' away shields them from her! Damn them!
<Anassia> That's pretty much it for this round.  Not moving foward so they can't charge me.... hopefully.
<Merc> ooc: Maya
* Maya_Mahabala dashes forward, her lean form close to the ground at first, but hard to follow as her swift feet lead her to bouncing off the trees, her flips and curls moving her far faster than one would've guessed as before they can blink she has gone from eighty feet away to nearly in their faces, twirling above their heads as her blade comes down, landing using the body of one to create the blind spot for the other.  OOC: Jump to a
<Maya_Mahabala> roll 1d20+17 trying for +2 to damage.
<Penuche> Maya_Mahabala invokes Penuche's magic: < 27 > [d20=10]
<Maya_Mahabala> roll 1d20+17 first the attack from above.
<Penuche> Maya_Mahabala invokes Penuche's magic: < 20 > [d20=3]
<Maya_Mahabala>  OOC: Jump to attack stunt, tumble to defense stunt.
<Merc> roll d20+8
<Merc> roll d20+8
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 14 > [d20=6]
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 25 > [d20=17]
<Merc> ooc: Your first roll works, second is countered
<Maya_Mahabala> OOC: Second wasn't counter.  That was to hit.
<Maya_Mahabala> OOC: I haven't rolled defense stunt.
<Merc> ooc: Ah
<Merc> ooc: hit then
<Maya_Mahabala> roll 2d8+8 damagey
<Penuche> Maya_Mahabala invokes Penuche's magic: < 18 > [d8=4,6]
<Maya_Mahabala> roll 1d20+23 trying for +3 ac
<Penuche> Maya_Mahabala invokes Penuche's magic: < 43 > [d20=20]
<Merc> Maya leaps onto the boulder by the closest of the guards, and slashes at the guard's head, causing him to cry as he tries to move to the side but still takes a grievous slash down his shoulder and ripping into his chest.
<Merc> ooc: Aleph
* Aleph steps forward ever so slightly, before firing three arrows at the guard that the visage of Maya isn't blocking.
<Aleph> roll 1d20+9
<Aleph> roll 1d20+9
<Penuche> Aleph invokes Penuche's magic: < 26 > [d20=17]
<Penuche> Aleph invokes Penuche's magic: < 23 > [d20=14]
<Aleph> roll 1d20+4
<Penuche> Aleph invokes Penuche's magic: < 10 > [d20=6]
<Merc> ooc: hit/hit
<Merc> ooc: miss
<Aleph> roll 1d8+4
<Aleph> roll 1d8+4
<Penuche> Aleph invokes Penuche's magic: < 11 > [d8=7]
<Penuche> Aleph invokes Penuche's magic: < 8 > [d8=4]
<Merc> The guard yells in surprise as arrows come from out of nowhere! One slams into the boulder by his side, but the other two pierce into his flesh. Both guards begin to scream more gibberish, probably insults from the way they're yelling though, when the trees around where some of the group is still gathered begins to tremble and then...FWOOSH! Out bursts a skeleton of a giant viper, its massive bones making grinding noise against each other!
<Merc> It focuses its empty sockets on the guards around Maya and begins slithering towards them, as they begin yelling again, first in shock, then apparent rage as they look at Maya with total loathing. The guard in front of her grips his spear tightly and begins to stab at her!
<Merc> roll d20+9
<Merc> roll d20+4
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 10 > [d20=1]
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 11 > [d20=7]
<Merc> In his rage, he misses horribly, Maya barely even twitching around his stab attempts!
<Merc> ooc: Elise
* Elise rushes forward, trying to close the distance before all the enemies are defeated. It wouldn't be right if everyone else did all the smiting! OOC: just double movement, I don't have fancy extra movement like Ma~ya
<Merc> As Elise tries to shorten the distance between her and evildoers, Jack finds himself at the edge of the temple's gaping hole, having snuck towards it while the others debated what to do in regards to the guards, and reaching it just as they decided the correct response was to kill them. That leaves the question of: Rush to assist the violent maniacs he calls friends, or do some sneaking around?
<Merc> ooc: Jack
* Jack_ continues with the sneakiness, who knows, maybe he can pick off reinforcements
<Merc> ooc: Do another roll of Move Silently and Hide.
<Jack_> roll 1d20+12
<Penuche> Jack_ invokes Penuche's magic: < 29 > [d20=17]
<Jack_> roll 1d20+12
<Penuche> Jack_ invokes Penuche's magic: < 21 > [d20=9]
<Merc> ooc: I was gonna ask which is which, but they're both over 20.
<Merc> Jack continues to move like a shadow, the noise the others are making helping in his endeavour. It's very dark up ahead, though some sunlight still streams around the entrance as Jack steps in, his eyes adjusting somewhat to the low light as he moves further ahead, deftly stepping around the still visible debris and flora on the ground.
<Merc> The other guard reacts at this point, briefly turning his head towards the stairs and tossing another yell, sounding like some sort of declaration, bfore he begins whooping as he charges towards Maya, attempting to pierce her through the stomach.
<Merc> roll d20+13
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 18 > [d20=5]
<Merc> ooc: You hate flunkies, don't you?
<Merc> The guard, however, seems as if he were on guard duty because he has horrible aim but boy can he yell, as the spear thrust into the air to the left of Maya.
<Merc> ooc: anassia
* Maya_Mahabala sticks her tongue out at the flunky, easily swaying out of the way of his thrusting spear. "Hardly even close."
* Anassia can see that there's no way out of this that isn't consist of a lot of stabbing... so will move 40' closer, woooo.
<Maya_Mahabala> "Okay, boys, enough of those spears," She dazzled them with quick footwork, slipping into blindspots and weaving among their spears, almost vanishing from their gaze a moment as a fast slash cut into the second guard's back. OOC: Tumble to boost damage, tumble to boost defense.
<Maya_Mahabala> roll 1d20+23 going for +3 to damage.
<Penuche> Maya_Mahabala invokes Penuche's magic: < 40 > [d20=17]
<Maya_Mahabala> roll 1d20+16 go hit
<Penuche> Maya_Mahabala invokes Penuche's magic: < 27 > [d20=11]
<Maya_Mahabala> roll 2d8+9
<Penuche> Maya_Mahabala invokes Penuche's magic: < 13 > [d8=3,1]
<Maya_Mahabala> roll 1d20+23 going for +3 ac
<Penuche> Maya_Mahabala invokes Penuche's magic: < 35 > [d20=12]
<Maya_Mahabala> roll 1d20+23 tumble, avoid AoOs entirely
<Penuche> Maya_Mahabala invokes Penuche's magic: < 32 > [d20=9]
<Merc> roll d20+11
<Merc> roll d20+11
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 22 > [d20=11]
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 22 > [d20=11]
<Maya_Mahabala> "Oh, so close.  Run," She encouraged with an order they couldn't understand, probably a pretty frightening display of motion.
<Merc> Both guards attempt to slash at Maya as she attempts to move, but she's a whirlstorm, dancing between the strikes as she twirls around her most recent attacker and slashes a large cut into his back.
<Aleph> Aleph decides to take this moment to approach, attempting to take a guard by surprise by leaping at the very end of the approach, aiming for a flip into bow-shot at the more injured guard at the time
<Aleph> (Move, Tumbling Attack trick ->attack)
<Aleph> roll d20+13 opposed by BAC
<Penuche> Aleph invokes Penuche's magic: < 27 > [d20=14]
<Merc> roll d20+8
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 26 > [d20=18]
<Merc> ooc: Penuche hates flunkies more than he hates Aleph.
<Aleph> (Enemy loses ADB~)
<Aleph> roll 1d20+11 attack
<Penuche> Aleph invokes Penuche's magic: < 17 > [d20=6]
<Merc> ooc: good thing you stunted. Hit.
<Aleph> roll 1d8+4 damage
<Penuche> Aleph invokes Penuche's magic: < 11 > [d8=7]
* Maya_Mahabala whistles, "That's how you do it," She teased Aleph from behind the Guard.
<Merc> The second of the guards looks pretty bloodied. The other one yells at him something, motioning towards the stairs. Probably telling him to run away. The guard stands firm though...as the undead snake slithers closer and closer and raises itsef to full height once upon that guard, and its head dives down, fangs ready to pierce and rip.
<Merc> roll d20+16
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 33 > [d20=17]
<Merc> roll d8+4
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 7 > [d8=3]
<Merc> The guard cries as he loses an arm, the snake raising its head back up and slowly chewing through the arm, ripping it to small shreds, blood dripping down it's bony structure.
<Merc> The first guard pales as he takes a step back, and says something quietly that makes the unarmed (somewhat) guard yell in return, and then the guard turns, dropping his weapon and fleeing up the stairs.
<Merc> ooc: Elise! He is within charging distance at this point, and the unarmed within normal moving distance.
<Maya_Mahabala> OOC: AoO
<Merc> ooc: Nope
<Maya_Mahabala> OOC: On 1 or both of them.
<Merc> ooc: You moved to attack the unarmed one, you're not in position to attack the fleeing one
<Merc> ooc: and the second is still there.
* Elise chases after the fleeing guard, intent on bringing him down before he can join a gang of reinforcements. Screaming as she runs, she leaps and swings at the man's back!
<Elise> roll 1d20+13+2 charrrge
<Penuche> Elise invokes Penuche's magic: < 24 > [d20=9]
<Merc> ooc: hit
<Elise> roll 2d6+9
<Penuche> Elise invokes Penuche's magic: < 15 > [d6=4,2]
<Merc> Elise slams her hammer into the man's unprotected back, and though he cries out in pain, he does not let this deter him from fleeing! It's either fleeing or dying!
* Jack_ keeps with the sneaky sneaky (another set of rolls?)
<Merc> ooc: Nah
<Merc> The tunnel continues to stretch ahead for Jack, vast and huge (a necessity, given the thing that slithered through at one point), and he finds that it's getting harder and harder to see up ahead. Behind him, the sunlight still shines in a smaller and smaller window of view as he continues to forge ahead. Soon though, he may well be plunged into total darkness unless he dares risk lighting a torch.
<Merc> The second guard meanwhile grabs his bleeding shoulder wound, knowing he'll probably bleed to death. He spits towards the giant skeletal snake and turns towards Maya, yelling something incoherent before attempting to stab her again.
<Merc> roll d20+9
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 27 > [d20=18]
<Merc> roll d8+3
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 7 > [d8=4]
<Merc> He stabs a surprised Maya, it's not as painful as some wounds she's taken at the past, but given she's been dancing circles around these guys, the wound is fairly unwelcome. He seems pleased with himself as he exclaims a few words and lets go of his spear, stretching his arms wide and lookign to the sky as he begins to speak incoherently.
<Merc> ooc: Elise brings up a point. He only stretches one arm up, the other one you can just imagine it'd be up if he had it.
* Anassia will continue to close shoot forth a blast of energy towards the one-armed man. Mercy killing, of course, given how much pain he's invariably in.
<Anassia> roll 1d20+7
<Penuche> Anassia invokes Penuche's magic: < 19 > [d20=12]
<Merc> ooc: hit if that's an attack roll.
<Anassia> roll 1d6+4 If hits.
<Penuche> Anassia invokes Penuche's magic: < 8 > [d6=4]
<Merc> A blast of magic flies from Anassia's arm, impacting against the defenseless guard, who's already prepared for death, and as the magic flows through his head, he falls to his knees, then collapses.
<Merc> ooc: You can reach the other guy also, due to your harrier speed hax.
<Maya_Mahabala> "You know, for that, your friend goes too."  She nodded, seeming to stay a moment before flowing rapidly up the stairs, almost a flying valkyrie of vengence coming up from behind the fleeing and hammered guard to swing her blade at his neck and send his head flying down to the ground below.  OOC: Tumble charge.  Attack Challenge +6.
<Maya_Mahabala> roll 1d20+23 tumble charge, AC goes away
<Penuche> Maya_Mahabala invokes Penuche's magic: < 32 > [d20=9]
<Maya_Mahabala> roll 1d20+10 attack from behind
<Penuche> Maya_Mahabala invokes Penuche's magic: < 29 > [d20=19]
<Maya_Mahabala> roll 1d20+10 attack from behind crit check
<Penuche> Maya_Mahabala invokes Penuche's magic: < 16 > [d20=6]
<Merc> ooc: no crit, but hit.
<Maya_Mahabala> roll 2d8+12 sadness.
<Penuche> Maya_Mahabala invokes Penuche's magic: < 16 > [d8=1,3]
<Merc> The guard is still alive! He's shakign, muttering and...sobbing, in that nonsensical language as he continues to try and stay alive.
<Aleph> Is he still armed?
<Merc> ooc: No, he dropped his spear when he started running
<Aleph> "...Oi, oi.  ...are you sure we should finish this guy off?  He's...kind of terrified right now.  ...and lacking a weapon."
<Elise> "Of course! If we don't, he alert everyone else in the temple!"
<Elise> *he'll
<Merc> ooc: Technically, they already warned with their yelling.
<Merc> ooc: You just haven't seen a response!
<Elise> OOC: Elise, logic. What?
<Merc> ooc; point!
<Anassia> "Let him go," Anassia says softly, looking down to the dead one.
<Aleph> "They already yelled an alarm!  Running won't make it any worse."
<Merc> ooc: Also, Aleph, are you attacking? I'm going to assume Coily isn't going to with Anassia's words, so if you don't attack, going to his action.
<Aleph> "...I'm with Anassia here.  He's already terrified...and not even a threat."
<Aleph> (Not attacking)  Aleph lowers his bow, keeping an eye out for anything else a threat
<Merc> The guard does not seem to heed Aleph's and Anassia's words of offering to let him leave. Probably because he doesn't understand them, not to mention the two women right on him. He does his best to continue to withdraw, moving just slow enough to avoid taking a counterattack as he carefully tries to make his way to freedom.
<Merc> OOC: he's using withdraw action to move, so no AoOs. still perfectly within reaching distance for the bloodthirsty females. Go Elise.
<Elise> "We don't have to kill him, but I don't want him stabbing us in the back later either!" Elise chases after the meaning, meaning to deal him a lighter but still disabling blow when she reaches him.
<Elise> roll 1d20+9 nonlethal
<Penuche> Elise invokes Penuche's magic: < 16 > [d20=7]
<Elise> *chases after the man. Wow, how did I mix those words up.
<Merc> ooc: miss
<Merc> Elise's attempt of her brand of kindness fails to do anything but spur the frightened man onward as all he notices is a hammer being swung at him.
* Jack_ says fuck stealth and lights up a torch to continue on
<Aleph> "...did you even listen to what I said?" Aleph says as an aside, rolling his eyes
<Jack_> (there's gold in that thar gaping hole)
<Anassia> "I don't think he's going to attack us," Anassia replies flatly.
<Merc> A sound reason, given the potential danger that could come in the darkness! Sure, things can see him now, but he can see them in return! The soft light from the torch illuminates a circle around him, debris, vines and weeds scattered around him...as well as the skins of dead snakes here and there. Brrr...
<Jack_> "I wonder if I can get someone to make me some boots."
* Anassia shall do nothing combat-y this round, having no stomache for more killing!
<Merc> ooc: Murderous Maya, go.
* Maya_Mahabala swings about past him, listening to her whiny companions as she decides to go along with not killing him.  Letting him run into the flat of her heavy sword...  Not killing him.
<Maya_Mahabala> roll 1d20+16-4 NonLethal
<Penuche> Maya_Mahabala invokes Penuche's magic: < 22 > [d20=10]
<Maya_Mahabala> roll 2d8+6 nonlethal.
<Penuche> Maya_Mahabala invokes Penuche's magic: < 17 > [d8=5,6]
<Merc> OOC: The shovel slams into the guard's back, killing him! Groundskeeper Willy, you murderous bastard!
<Merc> The flat of Maya's blade strikes against the back of the man's head, and he crumples to the ground! Bruised (in his head at least, rest of him is still bleeding something fierce), but not dead.
<Maya_Mahabala> "There, he's not dead.  Only maimed a bit," Maya stood, her sword lazily over her shoulders.  "That was the fastest way past them.  What are you doing all the way back there though."
* Anassia will move to try and stop the bleeding of the down'd guard. No sense preserving his life if he just, y'know, bleeds to death. "There was no need to attack them," she says flatly.
<Maya_Mahabala> "There was no need to have your undead snake eat them either" Maya drawled. "It was a language they understood and was better than trying to walk past them with them stabbing.  Come on, we're here to see why these folks are raising giant killer child eating snakes."
* Aleph starts to head up the stairs. "...if they are." he says under his own breath.
<Anassia> "Which it wouldn't have done if you hadn't charged them," Anassia says, equally flatly after checking to make sure the guard isn't going to bleed to death or anything.
* Maya_Mahabala sways up, refusing to accept fault for storming the poor guards and taking neither of their lives.
<Aleph> "..." Aleph sighs.  "...I liked it better when we weren't arguing about this stuff."
<Anassia> "There's nothing to argue about," Anassia says after tending his wounds, standing with a sigh as she picks up the spear.  "Might as well follow her," she says, moving behind.  If it's too narrow for the snake to follow, she'll send it back to the treeline.
* Aleph nods, entering, keeping his eyes to the floor. "...I sometimes wonder."
* Jack_ is now known as Ataru
<Merc> The undead snake is currently coiling itself at the steps of the stairs. It doesn't seem like it can really slither up them.
<Anassia> "Is Jack still hiding?" she asks, glancing to said treeline curiously, although she doesn't think he'd be foolish enough to run into the obvious nest without backup or informing anyone.
<Merc> ooc: No, Anassia. He was kidnapped by the snake demons while you weren't looking. Look! Aleph is vanishing too! Muffled cries ring out as he's pulled away against his will!
<Maya_Mahabala> "He is, isn't he?" Maya sounded confident of that.  She couldn't see him, so he had to be hiding.
<Aleph> "Probably."  Aleph concludes.  He was too busy supporting the fight to pay attention to him.
<Maya_Mahabala> Maybe Maya was spending too much time with Elise lately.
<Anassia> Regardless, she follows assuming that he knows what he's doing.
* Elise tags along with her friends, staying close and keeping an eye out in case there are more unpleasant locals standing between them and justice(?).
<Anassia> roll 1d20+7 v. 15 Heal (Maya)
<Penuche> Anassia invokes Penuche's magic: < 27 > [d20=20]
<Maya_Mahabala> "Thanks, Anassia," Maya rubbed her shoulder, the tiny bandage quickly helping with the wound.
<Anassia> roll 1d20+7 v. 15 Heal (Herself!)
<Penuche> Anassia invokes Penuche's magic: < 19 > [d20=12]
<Merc> The knocked out guard is still just conked out on the stairs, and up ahead you can see an opening leading into the temple. There is no door, just lots of stone. Stone floor, stone walls, stone ceiling.
<Aleph> "Well...I guess we should enter."  Aleph shrugs
* Anassia allows someone who is competant at the fightings lead on. Also who can use a melee weapon without being shite at it.
<Maya_Mahabala> "Hello, curious neighbors.  We caught your run-away pet," Maya charmingly mocked into the unknown.
<Elise> "I don't see why not. No one's been able to stop us before. Why would that change now?" Elise strides forward into the temploe's interior.
<Merc> As you all step towards the entrance, you note that it's a long corridor, with gaps/windows at head level, about 5 on each side.
* Maya_Mahabala walks in after Elise.
* Maya_Mahabala whistles a bit as she walks down the corridor, her eyes open for anything that screams 'we're about to stab you'.
<Merc> As you guys step in, you hear some clicking noise, not the sort you'd hear from something striking an object, more the sort someone makes with their mouths. A signal of some sort?
<Anassia> "... I suspect that we've overstayed our welcome," Anassia says, softly.
* Aleph raises a hand for a second, motioning for the others to stop
<Aleph> "...we're being watched.  Keep an eye out for defenders" Aleph whispers.
<Merc> ooc: what order are you guys walking in? 10 ft width, so you can walk in pairs, or a single file.
<Maya_Mahabala> "Well, it's only been one day.  Neighbors overstay their welcome in three, but we should probably keep our heads down."
<Maya_Mahabala> OOC: Elise and Maya as a pair up front?
<Merc> ooc: *nods*
<Aleph> ooc: I guess Aleph and Anassia in back, then
<Merc> A silent pause, then the clicking noise is heard again. It's the same pattern.
<Anassia> Not directly behind, likely.
<Merc> ooc: continuing to walk ahead, just mindful of the holes?
* Maya_Mahabala mimicks the clicking sound with semi-random clucking near the tone.
<Elise> OOC: unless we can actually see anything of note inside them, I guess so.
<Merc> ooc: Not unless you stick your eyeball against them!
<Aleph> OOC: Yeah, keeping mindful of the holes
<Merc> At Maya's response, loud angry hissing! Behind them, the opened entrance is slowly being shut as a stone slab is being lowered or something.
<Aleph> "...that does not sound good."
<Maya_Mahabala> "Well, it seems like they really want us inside.  Let's run now," Maya encouraged a faster pace forward out of the corridor.
<Merc> ooc: Reactions. Aleph, Anassia and acrobatic harriers can attempt to get out, though probably only two would make it due to width.
<Anassia> "... Thanks, Maya," Anassia says flatly.  Does the hissing sound human or more... serpantine
<Merc> ooc: Serpentine
<Elise> "Snakes? We already fought the biggest snake you had!" Elise says in challenge to their unseen tormentor. "You can't stop us now!" That doesn't mean she wants to stay in the corridor, however--it probably is a good idea to move forward a bit faster.
<Merc> As the group continues onward, light disappears as the stone slab blocks out the light and exit. Again, you hear the clicking pattern, though it's accompanied by angry hisses, all coming from around the holes in the wall.
<Merc> As you pass through the corridor, past it you see a split path, going left and right, also with the little holes in the wall.
* Anassia will drop her bag to the ground, fumbling around it to procure a torch and light it. "I don't like these little holes," she comments flatly.
<Maya_Mahabala> "You know, for an evil cult, they certainly have a good deal of temple to walk through." Maya frowned, waiting for a good light before leading down the left path.
* Elise follows Maya down the sinister path!
<Anassia> "...How do you figure they're a cult?" she asks, glancing to Maya as she follows.
<Aleph> "You're not the only one."  Aleph was reaching for his bag at the time, but instead stays his hand as Anassia lights a torch  "...I wonder.  What is the difference between a cult and a small-scale religion"
<Maya_Mahabala> "It's what they would be if this was a story told by adventurers in a bar.  You never get giant snakes, a temple, and spear wielding natives that don't speak the common tongue without there being a cult."
<Elise> "Cults worship false gods, or just demons," Elise says reflexively.
<Anassia> "Cults are traditionally built around people rather than dieties," Anassia replies.  "And if you gauge reality by what you heard in a tavern..."  A pause.  "It explains a lot, actually."
<Aleph> "...heh.  Half the things heard in a bar are gossip or rumor to begin with."
<Maya_Mahabala> "Says the girl with the giant undead snake," Maya deadpanned back.
<Maya_Mahabala> "Of course they are.  That's the fun of it."
<Anassia> "Suffice it to say, killing people because of tales told over a pint is hardly heroics."  She glances around.  "And there's bound to be tribes in the jungle."
<Aleph> "I don't remember hearing that one, though.  Maybe that was one of those nights where I was too drunk to remember."  Aleph shrugs
<Merc> As they turn to the left and begin exploring, they soon spot a man's figure, some distance ahead, calmly watching you. "You should not have come here, strangers," he comments in a very accented tone, as if he's not used to the language, before giving a complex clicking and clucking pattern, much fancier than Maya's earlier attempt. From the little holes, the hissing gets louder, you can hear the walls shaking.
<Aleph> "Anassia has a point.  ...however, be it intent or accident, their giant murdersnake did make its way into the lake in that town."
<Merc> ooc: Lines, then fun time, then cut off time!
<Aleph> "...should've known.  Snakes in the holes."
<Anassia> "Oh, thank god." Anassia says softly.  "We mean no offense by our intrusion but innocents were attacked and we are simply seeking the cause."
<Maya_Mahabala> "Oh, someone who can speak," She nodded.  "Well, we didn't have much of a choice after a giant snake showed up to say hello."
<Aleph> "...yeah.  We'd like to know how a massive snake ended up in the water in the village we were staying at."
<Aleph> "One that obviously came from this area."
<Merc> He angles his head as he emotionlessly stares at you all. "Harraun's children must feed. It is Harraun's will that they leave, it is by his will that they shall return," he states. "Leave. Your presence is not wanted. You will not be told again."
<Anassia> "... We really can't because the door closed.  And, no offense, but who is this Harraun?"
<Aleph> "Can't leave.  Rock where a door's supposed to be."
<Merc> "It will open."
<Merc> He speaks nothing more, his eyes focused on you all, waiting to see what you'll do.
<Maya_Mahabala> "Is it harraun's will that his snakes go eat children?  Because I think I have a problem with that if so."
<Anassia> "I don't suppose we count entreat Harraun herself?" Anassia asks.  Although she wants to smack Maya.
<Merc> His face tightens and his eyes narrow as he sees you blather questions instead of doing as he says. "Is this your answer, strangers? Questions?"
<Aleph> "We wish to appeal to this 'Harraun."
<Aleph> "If she will listen."
<Merc> The man scowls. "Thassetukava!" he exclaims in that unknown language. It sounds suspiciously like a cry of fools, idiots, morons, etc. With his word, gas begins to slowly pour from the holes. A familiar looking green gas...
<Merc> ooc: One action, then fort saves.
<Elise> OOC: I assume he's not in charge range, sadly?
* Aleph decides to try and hold his breath. Damned green gas from that snake from earlier
<Merc> ooc: You cna very much attack him, yes.
* Aleph tries shooting the man with at least one arrow--intending for a volley if possible
* Maya_Mahabala pulls out a cloth, covering in part her nose and mouth.
* Elise doesn't wait a moment longer--she rushes forward to strike at the man while she still can! "Worshipper of false idols, defiler of pleasant bathing pools! You will pay for your wicked ways!"
<Merc> ooc: You guys can do a full-round worth of actions. If you're trying to hold your breath and such instead of chatting, you can hold out your con mod worth of rounds. But sooner or later, fort save.
<Elise> OOC: Elise is chraging + smiting. All I've got, guys.
<Merc> ooc: Elise is chatty. She gets her fort save early.
<Merc> ooc: But yes, smite first
<Merc> ooc: then fort save
<Aleph> OOC: Full-attack, saving his breath
<Elise> roll 1d20+13+5 charrrrrrrge
<Penuche> Elise invokes Penuche's magic: < 23 > [d20=5]
<Merc> ooc: hit
<Aleph> (Distance to?)
<Elise> roll 2d6+9+4 using my 1/day damage bonus
<Penuche> Elise invokes Penuche's magic: < 20 > [d6=6,1]
<Aleph> roll 1d20+10
<Penuche> Aleph invokes Penuche's magic: < 24 > [d20=14]
<Aleph> roll 1d20+10
<Penuche> Aleph invokes Penuche's magic: < 25 > [d20=15]
* Anassia is going to hold her breath as well, precluding any sort of spellcasting, launching forth a bolt of energy at him with the hand not busy with the torch.
<Aleph> roll 1d20+5
<Penuche> Aleph invokes Penuche's magic: < 17 > [d20=12]
<Aleph> roll 1d8+9
<Penuche> Aleph invokes Penuche's magic: < 10 > [d8=1]
<Aleph> roll 1d8+9
<Penuche> Aleph invokes Penuche's magic: < 11 > [d8=2]
* Maya_Mahabala ignores him, heading past him with her mouth covered, gesturing the others behind her as she hurried hoping to find an end to the gased portion.  OOC: Moving 160 feet down the path while covering my mouth.
<Merc> Between Elise, Aleph and Anassia, the man is quite frankly torn apart! He didn't put much of a resistance, simply muttering one more time "Thassetukava..." quietly as he perished.
<Merc> ooc: Elise, fort save.
<Elise> roll 1d20+8+2 and using my other 1/day bonus
<Penuche> Elise invokes Penuche's magic: < 12 > [d20=2]
<Merc> ooc: ...wow, you and this poison, Elise.
* Anassia frowns slightly, but doesn't make a witty comment, moving toward Elise as she starts to fall, intending to not leave her behind like /someone/.
* Aleph watches Maya disappear down the hallway, before looking down toward Elise and Anassia...
<Merc> As Maya flies on ahead, looking for relief to breathe, she zooms through the corridors, twisting path the gas can't keep up with or something. There seems to be much less gas being pumped out around where she is, though she can hear hissing moving in her direction.
* Maya_Mahabala continues looking for a place to escape the gas, going at rocket maya speed.  It wouldn't do to have ALL of them captured.
<Aleph> roll 1d20+6 fort
<Penuche> Aleph invokes Penuche's magic: < 12 > [d20=6]
<Merc> ooc: Unless you think you can take more actions, do your fort saves, yes.
<Merc> Aleph follows after Elise into sleepy land.
* Elise is now known as HoldstillwhilePenuchegasesyou
* Aleph is now known as NamaIsHatedByDicebots
* Anassia glances backward as Aleph collapses. Yeah, there's no way in hell she is going to be able to get them both out. ...nor will she catch Maya running off into the dark. "Well, shit."
<Anassia> roll 1d20+5
<Penuche> Anassia invokes Penuche's magic: < 18 > [d20=13]
<Merc> ooc: ...huh
<Merc> Anassia feels a bit of a disorienting wave as she speaks, forcing herself to inhale the gas, but much like the last time...she resists! She does not fall!
<Cidward> God willing, we'll all meet in Buttquest 2: The Quest for More Butts.