[29] Old bandits never get away for good

Started by Merc, March 13, 2011, 02:51:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Merc

Session Start: Sun Feb 06 17:01:19 2011

<Merc> The next morning, the group of now four (plus a giant undead snake and two skeletons) begin making their way towards the southwest mountains, where Barvales has been supposedly spotted recently, stirring up trouble with her banditry, although thankfully no princely kidnappings. Still enough trouble to get sniffed out by old sparring partners though!
<Merc> OOC: Aleph, you're the only one with survival, so you get to make them, though the others could help if they wished to.
* Aleph has opted to stay behind Maya in marching order. Likely much to Brina's chagrin.
<Aleph> ...or not, because he has to do all the fancy navigation stuff
* Maya_Mahabala isn't intentionally teasing Aleph.  Much as he probably would have to hunt quite a while to find such a curvy rear to follow.
<Aleph> !roll 1d20+7 lolsurvival
<Aleph> roll 1d20+7 lolsurvival
<Penuche> Aleph invokes Penuche's magic: < 15 > [d20=8]
* Aleph is clearly somewhat distracted by the frustrating of having to be on point
<Merc> It takes a little bit of time, mostly having to separate human trails from those of animals, but Aleph thinks he's found some possible trails. The question is which to follow though. Two of the trails seem to head towards the mountains, but the third seems to go off further south. The first and third trail both start at around the same area.
* Aleph tries to push his natural tendencies aside and try to figure out which trail's the right one. ...and more importantly, which one doesn't throw him into overgrown reptile territory.
<Maya_Mahabala> "So what did you find?" Maya wasn't hesitating to return the favor while Aleph was bent over looking at trails, not that she'd let him notice.
<Aleph> roll 1d20+7 lolsurvival again
<Penuche> Aleph invokes Penuche's magic: < 16 > [d20=9]
<Aleph> "Three trails.  Trying to figure which was the most likely..."
* Aleph is, at the very least, trying to concentrate
<Merc> From what you recall of the size of Barvales' group and its size, you think the paths heading closer to the mountains are more likely correct. Unless her group has really shrunk in size after they got their ass kicked by yours, the one heading further south is probably a false lead.
<Merc> From the two going towards the mountain, the one closer to the woods is probably more accurate. Barvales did seem to favor hiding in the woods, and it'd be easier to get the group moving and fleeing if necessary.
<Aleph> "...hm.  I guess we could try for the woods.  She -was- hiding in a similar kind of place last time, if I remember right." Aleph comments, oblivious to the party members currently behind him
* Brina simply settles her cloak on her shoulders and pulls her hood low, subtly moving into the background, preparing to make a scouting orbit as the group travels.
<Maya_Mahabala> "We might have to be careful heading in.  They might scream and flee at the sight of us," Maya teased.
<Merc> Aleph continues to lead deeper into the woods, with Brina darting ahead every now and then to scout things, Maya staying near Aleph for the most part and Anassia far back, keeping her undead minions company and hopefully not ruining any element of surprise for the rest with Coily's large frame cracking branches and who knows what else.
<Brina> "Ah! I promise not to let them get too far."
<Aleph> "Heh.  But I wasn't with you guys for that fight, and we don't have Elise with us anymore." Aleph retorted.
<Merc> After close to an hour, Brina spots what looks like a small fortress or such, wooden spikes serving as a gate to block out unwanted visitors.
<Merc> ooc: spot check Brina
<Brina> roll d20+12
<Penuche> Brina invokes Penuche's magic: < 19 > [d20=7]
<Merc> Brina spots a few inches of hair and spearheads here and there, patrolling along the gate, well protected by cover.
* Brina quietly points the patrols out to the group.
<Brina> "I can try to take a few out and make a hole for us to enter through, if you wish."
<Maya_Mahabala> "That's...odd.  I guess they're more protective than the last time.  But...we're not trying to rescue anyone this time," She tapped her cheek considering.  "Do we want to break up them...or make a nice scary tale of the gypsys versus the bandits?" Maya seemed to be amused.
<Aleph> "Hm.  She was willing to give up before.  I'd say just try the former."
<Merc> "She gave up on high stakes royal banditry, but she's still a bandit after all that, even though it sounds like she's been relatively low key," Anassia points out.
<Brina> "Banditry is still banditry. How long until she, or her men, kill someone?"
<Maya_Mahabala> "It'd probably be safer for everyone if nobody in these mountains could think about being bandits again.  That it simply was...too terrifying," Maya considered.
<Merc> "We can do terrifying!" Anassia says while pointing at her minions.
<Maya_Mahabala> "Sure we could sneak by, killing just a few, but if we left a dozen or so out here, they might just keep pillaging under a new leader once we move on." She nodded to Anassia.
* Brina palms her dagger and moves towards more concealment, preparing to flank whatever enemies we move against.
* Aleph sighs. "I'd rather not have to make a slaughter of this, but I guess if we have no choice..." He unslings his bow.
<Maya_Mahabala> "Let's start cornering the scout groups," She nodded.  "We can have Anassia's snake take the front while we charge in by the sides.  We can move into the main camp once we've taken them out."
<Merc> "Should I wait a bit before charging through the front, or start making noise as soon as possible while you sneak in?" Anassia asks.
<Brina> "Wait, I'd say.. Let us take some out, spread a bit of confusion and fear, and then you can capture their attention while we cut into them."
<Merc> Anassia nods.
<Aleph> "...Well, if that's our plan."
* Brina heads off to the nearest group of patrolling spearmen, motioning the others to follow, but give her some distance, and tries to circle around their backs.
* Aleph tries to follow as silently and stealthily as possible, at the very least. ...hoping to at least get close enough to get a few good shots off at the patrol once time comes
* Brina notices there are no holes in the stake wall and simply moves to find an entry point, first..
<Merc> ooc: move silently checks from both of you
<Merc> ooc: from maya too if following
<Brina> roll d20+13
<Penuche> Brina invokes Penuche's magic: < 28 > [d20=15]
<Aleph> roll d20+6
<Penuche> Aleph invokes Penuche's magic: < 10 > [d20=4]
<Merc> As Brina sneaks around, two of the patrollers near where Aleph is sneaking behind her seem to stop and listen, apparently attracted by the small noise Aleph made stepping on some loose branch or something. Of all the luck. "Did you hear something?" one of them asks.
<Merc> ooc: You can try to hide in some bushes (or just shoot him in the face) when one of them tries to peek. Up to you!
<Merc> ooc: Brina is far enough that she doesn't need to hide.
<Merc> ooc: either make a hide check or ready an action to shoot Aleph, and then I'll have them act
* Aleph silently curses his own luck as he moves to hide in foliage. Wonderful foliage...
<Merc> ooc: roll hide
<Aleph> roll 1d20+9 hide
<Penuche> Aleph invokes Penuche's magic: < 27 > [d20=18]
<Merc> Aleph does a superb job of jumping into a bush as one of the guards peek over the wooden blockade. "I don't see anything..." the guard mutters before they continue back on patrol. Meanwhile, Brina has found a spot where the wood doesn't seem quite as sharpened, she could probably climb over with a bit of effort.
* Brina holds for a second to make sure no guards are approaching and then scrambles up the blockade...
<Merc> No patrols seem to be passing right now, so it's as good a time as any!
* Aleph lays low for a bit to ensure he doesn't get noticed...before trying to sneakily follow the more stealthy of the two running around right now
<Brina> roll d20+10 climb
<Penuche> Brina invokes Penuche's magic: < 29 > [d20=19]
<Merc> Brina scrambles up even as Aleph catches up and spots Brina's finding! Meanwhile, Maya and Anassia quietly await near the front gates, waiting for a signal to attack!
<Aleph> roll d20+11 Climb.  Aleph's not sitting out there alone.
<Penuche> Aleph invokes Penuche's magic: < 19 > [d20=8]
* Brina pauses at the base of the blockade, but moving out of Aleph's way, and looks for the nearest guard..
<Merc> Aleph follows after Brina, though he has a bit more trouble doing so, thudding to the ground as he passes over. Thankfully, nobody seems to be nearby right now, the last patrol to pass nearby being the one that almost caught Aleph a few seconds earlier.
<Merc> Now that you're over the barricade, it feels more familiar, a whole bunch of tents in your sight. Question is, which one's Barveles'. Or is she somewhere else?
* Brina looks around at the tents.. One of them has to be of better quality, and that'll be the one..
* Brina turns to Aleph and whispers.
<Merc> Actually, they all seem to be roughly the same quality as far as you can see...maybe they're better looking inside, but the tents themselves are all pretty drab brown or dark green.
<Brina> "Do you have a flint and steel? I've got some lantern fluid.. While I'm looking for this leader, you need to start setting tents ablaze."
* Aleph has practically landed on all fours as he barely got the landing.
<Aleph> "I've got that," he whispers back, "But I also have some of the fast-acting alchemical stuff if you'd rather I use that."
<Brina> "Whichever.. Either way, let me give you some oil, just in case."
* Brina digs through her pack and hands Aleph two flasks of oil, then starts trying to pick out the most likely tent..
<Merc> ooc: Going to set tents on fire?
<Aleph> "Sure thing."  Aleph nods as he takes the oil flasks in one hand by their necks, and starts looking at the tents himself...
* Brina moves off to let Aleph do his work, hunting through the tents, making small holes in the sides to peer into, looking for this leader..
* Aleph tries to use the oil to start soaking parts of the tents...while stealthily using some quantity to try and 'bridge' the tents for more efficient burnination...
<Merc> ooc: move silently
<Brina> roll d20+13 move silently
<Penuche> Brina invokes Penuche's magic: < 27 > [d20=14]
<Merc> ooc: Aleph too
<Aleph> roll d20+6 ms
<Penuche> Aleph invokes Penuche's magic: < 15 > [d20=9]
<Merc> Both Aleph and Brina work silently, Brina moreso as she checks the tents for signs of their primary target before Aleph gets working, but there's no sign of Barvales. She must be doing something else right now. Aleph seems to be done though, so you're bound to get her attention if she's anywhere nearby with the fire to follow.
<Merc> ooc: Maya, listen check
* Brina decides to simply slip into the nearest tent, then, and cut some throats..
<Merc> roll d20+7 listen Anassia
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 20 > [d20=13]
<Maya_Mahabala> roll 1d20+9
<Penuche> Maya_Mahabala invokes Penuche's magic: < 27 > [d20=18]
<Merc> As Maya and Anassia silently wait for a signal to attack, they start hearing the sound of a group of people approaching. There is laughter and horse hoofs and merriment to be heard, and it's approaching fast. Meanwhile..."Hey! Who are you? What are you doing here?" one of the guards demands as he raises his spear towards Brina, standing up straight as the woman lifts up the flap of the tent.
* Aleph waits for Brina to stop being in the tent as he gets out the flint and steel, crouching at one of the tents--but away from one of the 'trails' he had made between tents, intending to light the whole thing up.
<Merc> ooc: roll init Brina/Aleph. Aleph, you have a free action if you want to start setting things on fire, but...Brina's inside on the tents. About to gank some poor guard!
* Aleph is indeed going to start setting a tent on fire! Hoping the oil trail he left would light up and start carrying over to the other tents...
<Aleph> roll 1d20+4 initiative
<Penuche> Aleph invokes Penuche's magic: < 21 > [d20=17]
<Brina> roll 1d20+4
<Penuche> Brina invokes Penuche's magic: < 16 > [d20=12]
<Merc> roll d20+3 guard
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 16 > [d20=13]
* Retrieving #truesteel modes...
* Merc changes topic to 'You'd Better Prepare Yourselves! Nyah~~! | Aleph >Brina > Guard'
<Merc> ooc: Aleph, your move. Keep in mind that both Brina and guard have cover from tents
* Aleph is just working on BURNINATING TENTS!
<Merc> As Aleph keeps being a pyromaniac, probably laughing merrily inside, Brina has the time to reply to the guard now!
<Merc> Also, Anassia and Maya both begin to see the trails of smoke, and it's sure the rest of the patrols see it too. Whomever's approaching doesn't seem to have noticed it yet though...
* Brina responds by going into a roll and coming up behind the guard, her blade flashing out, seeking a soft target..
<Merc> "Should we go help them now, or wait to ambush whomever's coming up?" Anassia whispers to Maya.
<Maya_Mahabala> "Wait for the noise.  It wouldn't be dramatic if we didn't make the best time.  We'll stomp over whoever comes up," She nodded.
<Brina> roll d20+19
<Penuche> Brina invokes Penuche's magic: < 23 > [d20=4]
<Merc> Anassia nods and whispers to Coily to hold for now.
<Merc> roll d20+6 attack check
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 18 > [d20=12]
<Merc> ooc: go for it, he missed his AoO chance
<Brina> roll d20+7
<Penuche> Brina invokes Penuche's magic: < 12 > [d20=5]
<Merc> ooc: hit with the +6 you missed
<Brina> roll 1d4+3 (base)
<Penuche> Brina invokes Penuche's magic: < 4 > [d4=1]
<Brina> roll 5d6 (SA)
<Penuche> Brina invokes Penuche's magic: < 15 > [d6=3,3,1,3,5]
<Merc> "Ack! Intruders!" The guard calls out loudly as he's stabbed in the chest. It mustn't have gotten anything vital, or maybe he's just dumb. Other guards were surely attracted by the smoke and his earlier exclamation! Still, he tries to make up for it as he jabs the spear towards Brina's face.
<Merc> roll d20+7
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 22 > [d20=15]
<Merc> roll d8+2
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 5 > [d8=3]
<Merc> Brina shifts her face, the spear catching off part of her armored neck, though it does succeed in drawing a bit of blood. Nowhere near as much as Brina did though!
<Merc> ooc: Aleph
* Aleph stands at ready, prepared to start properly arrowing any guards coming out
<Merc> ooc: brina
* Brina dives around the guard, rolling to her feet on his side, before shifting her weight and taking a low, spinning hop to land behind him, lashing out at his kidney.
<Brina> roll d20+19 (tumble)
<Penuche> Brina invokes Penuche's magic: < 34 > [d20=15]
<Merc> ooc: it works
<Brina> roll d20+13 (attack)
<Penuche> Brina invokes Penuche's magic: < 32 > [d20=19]
<Merc> ooc: roll again for threat
<Brina> roll d20+13 (confirm)
<Penuche> Brina invokes Penuche's magic: < 31 > [d20=18]
<Merc> ooc: crit. remember, SA doesn't crit, just the other damage
<Brina> roll 2d4+6
<Penuche> Brina invokes Penuche's magic: < 11 > [d4=3,2]
<Brina> roll 5d6 (SA)
<Penuche> Brina invokes Penuche's magic: < 10 > [d6=1,1,6,1,1]
<Merc> The guard perishes!
<Merc> roll 5#d20+4
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 10, 23, 12, 12, 16 >
<Merc> Meanwhile, as other guards start to show up, the warparty makes its return, and finally realize that there's smoke coming from their home! Maya and Anassia can see Barvales amongst the bunch of bandits, some abandoning carts with various items obviously stolen as they move closer to their base to find out what's going on.
<Merc> ooc: still holding, or you want a surprise round against Barvales and warparty?
<Merc> ooc: if surprise round, I'll take you to another room
<Maya_Mahabala> OOC: Surprise roound
<Merc> ooc: /j #truesteel2
* Merc changes topic to 'You'd Better Prepare Yourselves! Nyah~~! | G2 > Aleph >Brina > G5 > G3+4 > G1'
<Merc> ooc: Aleph, you get a surprise attack on any of the approaching guards, then new round starts.
* Aleph takes a shot at the most prepared-looking guard as he comes in, sparing no time to hesitate
<Aleph> roll 1d20+12 (add extra +1 if point blank
<Penuche> Aleph invokes Penuche's magic: < 22 > [d20=10]
<Merc> ooc: hit
<Aleph> roll 1d8+4 lol aleph without point blank
<Penuche> Aleph invokes Penuche's magic: < 5 > [d8=1]
<Merc> An arrow flashes and lodges itself in a guard's side! Ouch!
<Cidward> God willing, we'll all meet in Buttquest 2: The Quest for More Butts.

Merc

Session Start: Sun Feb 06 20:27:00 2011

<Merc> Meanwhile, as other guards start to show up, the warparty makes its return, and finally realize that there's smoke coming from their home! Maya and Anassia can see Barvales amongst the bunch of bandits, some abandoning carts with various items obviously stolen as they move closer to their base to find out what's going on.
<Merc> ooc: still holding, or you want a surprise round against Barvales and warparty?
<Merc> ooc: if surprise round, I'll take you to another room
<Maya_Mahabala> OOC: Surprise roound
<Merc> ooc: roll init, Maya
<Maya_Mahabala> roll 1d20+4
<Penuche> Maya_Mahabala invokes Penuche's magic: < 23 > [d20=19]
<Merc> roll d20+6 Barvales
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 11 > [d20=5]
<Merc> roll d20+4 Warparty
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 24 > [d20=20]
<Merc> roll d20+2 Anassia/Coily/etal
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 14 > [d20=12]
* Merc changes topic to 'Warparty > Maya > Anassia et al > Barvales'
<Merc> ooc: Maya/Anassia get surprise round
* Maya_Mahabala gestures for Anassia to guide the snake in with a crushing bite at Barvales.  Best to put the fear in early as she readied to leap for a stab as the snake moved.
<Merc> Anassia nods and gives the command. With a menacing roar, Coily darts out from the forest, trees shaking as he makes his entrance and he goes straight for Barvales, ready to chomp!
<Merc> roll d20+16 bite
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 29 > [d20=13]
<Merc> roll d8+4
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 9 > [d8=5]
<Merc> As Coily bites into Barvales's armor, his bite digging in inspite of the armor, the rest of the warparty begins to panic.
<Merc> Anassia also takes a shot at Barvales, using one of her eldritch darts to attack!
<Maya_Mahabala> "Bandits never prosper, but to pick up again, I think we had some unfinished business!"  She leaped as the snake went down, twirling above the guards as she came down behind Barveles with a violent slash.  OOC: usual defensive antics.  Leaping Strike.
<Merc> roll d20+8
<Maya_Mahabala> roll 1d20+13 attack
<Penuche> Maya_Mahabala invokes Penuche's magic: < 29 > [d20=16]
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 27 > [d20=19]
<Maya_Mahabala> roll 1d20+18 jump check
<Penuche> Maya_Mahabala invokes Penuche's magic: < 31 > [d20=13]
<Maya_Mahabala> roll 2d8+8
<Penuche> Maya_Mahabala invokes Penuche's magic: < 17 > [d8=5,4]
<Merc> roll d20+13 counter jump check
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 30 > [d20=17]
<Merc> ooc: jump check succeeds
<Merc> roll d6+4 Anassia's dart
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 7 > [d6=3]
* Maya_Mahabala hops back from Barvales after she does her dramatic stab from above, easily gathering room.
<Merc> roll d2+4
<Merc> roll d2+4
<Merc> roll d2+4
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 5 > [d2=1]
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 6 > [d2=2]
<Merc> A wave of attacks pile onto Barvales when she least expects it, as she approaches the safety of her base, already under attack itself! A flash of recognition goes through her eyes. "You two! I remember you!!!" she exclaims angrily
<Maya_Mahabala> "I'm glad!" Maya grinned.  "I mean, I don't tend to think I'm the type of person most forget.  But you seem even more a second rate bandit than when I let you go last time."
<Merc> Many of the bandits around her move to assist her, but she commands them otherwise as her face twists at Maya's taunts. "No! Take care of this monster! I'll handle the girl! I owe her and her friends for past embarrassments!" Obeying, the bandits begin to charge at the snake, hacking away at it!
<Merc> roll d20+8
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 10 > [d20=2]
<Merc> Their fright of the creature seems to make their strikes waver though...
<Merc> ooc: Maya
* Maya_Mahabala laughs. "Handle me?" She dashed inward, her hand stroking Barvales' face as she moved by with a smile. "A woman like me isn't handled," She slid through among the war party tauntingly, dancing and weaving among them.  "She is a storm that passes through, leaving shattered dreams and lost wishes in her wake."  OOC: Inspire doom, risky performance.
<Maya_Mahabala> roll 1d20+14
<Penuche> Maya_Mahabala invokes Penuche's magic: < 18 > [d20=4]
<Merc> Anassia groans at Maya's display. "Just cut her in two already! It's easier that way!" she exclaims as Coily gets busy munching on the warparty and she fires another dart of magic at Barvales
<Merc> roll d20+8
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 17 > [d20=9]
<Merc> roll d6+4
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 5 > [d6=1]
<Merc> roll d20+16 bite
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 25 > [d20=9]
<Merc> roll d20+11 bite
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 18 > [d20=7]
<Merc> roll d8+4
<Merc> roll d8+4
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 7 > [d8=3]
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 9 > [d8=5]
<Merc> Coily happily muches on bandits as Barvales is stung by Anassia's magic, though seems more stung by Maya's performance. "You don't have that girl with you this time do you? I've been learning some tricks, and the one getting pounded this time is you!" she declares as she draws her weapon...a maul. Wow, looks like she did take lessons to heart from Elise.
<Maya_Mahabala> "Actually, really.  Elise let you off easy." Maya smiled with the confidence of the fearless.  "You're lucky she's taking a vacation from letting bandits go!"
<Merc> "We'll see who's off easy!" she says as she wades through her companions to make her way towards Maya.
<Merc> roll d20+16
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 28 > [d20=12]
<Merc> Her attack whizzes close to Maya, much closer than a lot of attacks have in a long time! It's still a miss, but from the sound of that hammer swinging through the air, she's surely as dangerous with it as Elise.
<Merc> The warparty continues to attack the undead snake even as their numbers diminish from the feasting snake!
<Merc> roll d20+8
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 12 > [d20=4]
<Merc> Honestly...with help like this, one wonders why there's even a bounty on Barvales' head. How are they missing such a large target?
<Maya_Mahabala> "Yeah, I think that's too heavy for someone like you.  And you're not wielding it with grace," Maya was picking up speed as she moved around, slashing again quickly at Barvales back before dashing past and away, curving a bit to leave some of Barvales war party between them again.
<Maya_Mahabala> roll 1d20+13 OOC: Attack, gonna follow with a defense stunt
<Penuche> Maya_Mahabala invokes Penuche's magic: < 22 > [d20=9]
<Maya_Mahabala> roll 1d20+22-4 defense stunt
<Penuche> Maya_Mahabala invokes Penuche's magic: < 27 > [d20=9]
<Merc> roll d20+13 check
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 19 > [d20=6]
<Merc> ooc: stunt succeeds
<Maya_Mahabala> roll 2d8+6
<Penuche> Maya_Mahabala invokes Penuche's magic: < 18 > [d8=4,8]
<Merc> roll d2+4
<Merc> Anassia continues to take potshots at Barvales from the safety of Coily's head even as Maya's sword slashes through the bandit queen.
<Merc> roll d20+8
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 25 > [d20=17]
<Merc> roll d6+4
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 5 > [d6=1]
<Merc> Barvales scowls as she charges at Maya, slamming the hammer in her direction!
<Merc> roll d20+18 (+2 charge)
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 23 > [d20=5]
<Merc> Oooh, her aim needs some work. Maybe it's from working with her crappy warparty.
<Merc> roll d20+8
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 14 > [d20=6]
<Merc> They do seem to be steadily improving...they're still missing somehow though.
* Maya_Mahabala favors her with a terrifying smile.  "You're like a child with that.  Did you really think you could just pick up a hammer and match my footwork?"
<Merc> "All I need is -one- good hit, and you'd be in for a world of pain, you monkey!"
<Maya_Mahabala> "You might not guess this...but I'm a lot sturdier than I look," She twirled near, ducking under another hammer hit and moving practically against the older woman as she left another bloody mark along her back, moving around the war party with skillful motions.
<Maya_Mahabala> roll 1d20+14 Perform attack stunt for +1
<Penuche> Maya_Mahabala invokes Penuche's magic: < 34 > [d20=20]
<Maya_Mahabala> roll 1d20+14 attack I am dumb as usual
<Penuche> Maya_Mahabala invokes Penuche's magic: < 27 > [d20=13]
<Maya_Mahabala> roll 1d20+22-4 tumble defense on my escape.
<Penuche> Maya_Mahabala invokes Penuche's magic: < 24 > [d20=6]
<Merc> ooc: *pats pats* perform stunt works though! That's something!
<Merc> roll d20+13 vs the tumble. attack hits
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 20 > [d20=7]
<Maya_Mahabala> roll 2d8+6
<Penuche> Maya_Mahabala invokes Penuche's magic: < 20 > [d8=7,7]
<Merc> roll d2+4
<Maya_Mahabala> "I think you'll find that you can no more hit a gypsy than catch a cloud with your clumsy hands," She faded back among the trees.

Session Start: Sun Feb 20 18:03:10 2011

* Merc changes topic to 'Warparty > Maya > Anassia/Coily > Barvales'
<Merc> ooc: Anassia's turn also
<Merc> ooc: and coily's!

<Anassia> "GodDAMN," Anassia says, flatly.  "Could one of you just /kill/ the other so I don't have to listen to your banter?" she asks, tossing another bolt to Balvales.
<Anassia> roll 1d20+8
<Penuche> Anassia invokes Penuche's magic: < 17 > [d20=9]
<Merc> Anassia's bolt misses this time.
<Merc> ooc: Take coily's action also?
<Anassia> (( Yeah, I don't have the numbers for it :/
<Anassia> The snake will continue to gorge on the soldiers surrounding it, slicked with their blood!
<Anassia> roll 1d20+16
<Penuche> Anassia invokes Penuche's magic: < 36 > [d20=20]
<Anassia> roll 2d8+8
<Penuche> Anassia invokes Penuche's magic: < 16 > [d8=4,4]
<Anassia> roll 1d20+16
<Penuche> Anassia invokes Penuche's magic: < 19 > [d20=3]
<Merc> Coily continues to feast, happily grabbing a pair of thieves in one bite, tossing them into the air and biting them in half, rain of blood falling from its jaws on the rest of its companions.
<Merc> The sight seems to demoralize the warparty even more, some looking like they're strongly considering fleeing right now, which Barvales notices. "Take out the mage, fools! She's the one controlling it!" she screams at them as she moves to swing at Maya's face again.
<Merc> roll d20+16
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 36 > [d20=20]
<Merc> roll d20+16 oho
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 32 > [d20=16]
<Merc> ooc: well, not a crit
<Merc> roll d10+8
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 17 > [d10=9]
<Merc> "GOT YOU!" Barvales declares in triumph as her hammer actually does manage to connect right with Maya's face, tossing her backwards and her nose making a disgusting crunch. It certainly isn't enough to kill her but damn, she's not going to look pretty for a while...
<Merc> The warparty cheers at their boss's success and take a step back so they can draw their bows and shoot at Anassia. Their boss is a genius after all!
<Merc> roll d20+8
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 18 > [d20=10]
<Merc> roll d8+8
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 11 > [d8=3]
<Merc> ooc: anassia has d2+1 armor, so roll for that I guess, then Maya can complain about her broken nose =p
<Anassia> roll d2+1
<Penuche> Anassia invokes Penuche's magic: < 3 > [d2=2]
<Merc> Anassia's armor absorbs some of the damage, but it does show the mage is less protected than her undead minion, their first actual success in this fight! The warparty cheers at the sight of blood and even the ones that looked like they were going to run seem less likely to do so now!
<Maya_Mahabala> "That hurt, what the heck?  Didn't you ever hear about not hitting a lady in her face?"  Maya though flipped with it, not even knocked off her feet, rubbing her nose for a moment as she glared at the woman.  "But...  That's not actually enough to beat me.  That's probably even your best shot too," She rushed toward the woman, intending to repay the favor as she leaped over her head in a vicious slash, tumbling well out of ham
<Maya_Mahabala> mer reach as the mercenary tried to keep up.  OOC: Jump stunt -2 for attack, tumble stunt -4 for defense.
<Maya_Mahabala> roll 1d20+18-2 jump
<Penuche> Maya_Mahabala invokes Penuche's magic: < 21 > [d20=5]
<Maya_Mahabala> roll 1d20+14 actual attack (+2 if that jump check succeeds)
<Penuche> Maya_Mahabala invokes Penuche's magic: < 18 > [d20=4]
<Maya_Mahabala> roll 1d20+18 tumble away
<Penuche> Maya_Mahabala invokes Penuche's magic: < 28 > [d20=10]
<Merc> roll d20+13 jump vs
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 30 > [d20=17]
<Merc> roll d20+13 tumble vs
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 31 > [d20=18]
<Merc> ooc: jump fails, tumble fails
<Merc> ooc attack misses too
<Merc> Woozy from the strike to the face, her vision blurred, Maya's swing comes close, but close isn't good enough! "Hah!" the bandit queen exclaims. "Told you all I needed was one hit to get things going!"
<Merc> ooc: Anassia/Coily
<Anassia> Anassia winces at the arrow before glowering down to the people below her.  "Hey.  You're dead," she says, flatly, before throwing her powers at them rather than their boss.
<Anassia> roll 1d208
<Penuche> Anassia invokes Penuche's magic: < 169 > [d208=169]
<Anassia> roll 1d20+8
<Penuche> Anassia invokes Penuche's magic: < 24 > [d20=16]
<Anassia> roll 1d6+4
<Penuche> Anassia invokes Penuche's magic: < 5 > [d6=1]
<Anassia> (( I hate you, natural one ))
<Merc> Coily tries to avenge his mistress and bites the people that shot her!
<Merc> roll d20+16
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 28 > [d20=12]
<Merc> roll d8+4
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 11 > [d8=7]
<Merc> Anassia's magic wounds one of her attackers badly, while Coily devours another!
<Merc> Barvales continues swinging away at Maya, her previous success making her more swing happy!
<Merc> roll d20+15 (PA-1,why not!)
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 33 > [d20=18]
<Merc> roll d10+11
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 17 > [d10=6]
<Merc> Oooow, the bandit queen connects once more, chaining her attacks for pain on Maya! At least it was to her side this time, so the bruises won't show as much. Oh wait, Maya likes to show skin. Yeah, this fight isn't going to leave Maya pretty.
<Merc> The warparty continues taking shots at Anassia
<Merc> roll d20+8
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 17 > [d20=9]
<Merc> roll d8+8
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 9 > [d8=1]
<Merc> ooc: roll DR, then Maya
<Anassia> roll 1d2+1
<Penuche> Anassia invokes Penuche's magic: < 3 > [d2=2]
<Merc> The swing of battle seems to have shifted with Barvales' initial hit on Maya. Unless Maya does something soon, the bandit queen's words may turn horribly prophetic...
* Maya_Mahabala doesn't taunt this time, focusing on regaining her rhythm as she rushes past in a similar manuever.
<Maya_Mahabala> roll 1d20+18-2
<Penuche> Maya_Mahabala invokes Penuche's magic: < 32 > [d20=16]
<Maya_Mahabala> roll 1d20+16
<Penuche> Maya_Mahabala invokes Penuche's magic: < 31 > [d20=15]
<Maya_Mahabala> roll 1d20+18
<Penuche> Maya_Mahabala invokes Penuche's magic: < 23 > [d20=5]
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 31 > [d20=18]
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 16 > [d20=3]
<Merc> ooc: all are success
<Maya_Mahabala> roll 2d8+6 damage
<Penuche> Maya_Mahabala invokes Penuche's magic: < 16 > [d8=8,2]
<Merc> roll d2+4
<Merc> Barvales grits her teeth as the sword finally tastes her blood again. "I was beginning to think I rattled your brain too much to give a fight anymore...too bad, guess I'll have to hit you some more!"
<Anassia> Anassia will throw another bolt at the same soldier to end that one, while keeping coiling killing the others with its... efficiency.
<Anassia> roll 1d20+8
<Penuche> Anassia invokes Penuche's magic: < 20 > [d20=12]
<Merc> roll d20+16 coily's attack roll
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 18 > [d20=2]
<Anassia> roll 1d6+4
<Penuche> Anassia invokes Penuche's magic: < 9 > [d6=5]
<Merc> roll d8+4
<Maya_Mahabala> "I'll give you that you hit hard.  Real hard.  But really, just how many cuts can you take?"
<Merc> Anassia's magic finishes off one of her attackers while Coily kills off another goon. The warparty looks to be seriously diminished. They're very obviously entertaining the thought: 'Can we finish off this girl before she finishes us off? Am I going to die today?'
<Merc> "More than you can take a hit from me, I'm sure!" she declares, swinging away.
<Merc> roll d20+16
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 30 > [d20=14]
<Merc> Maya seems to have regained her rhythm quickly though, and the swing thankfully misses.
<Merc> "...fuck this!" someone from the warparty says as he starts running away, joined by a few others. They have arrows drawn, but it looks like they're going to try and shoot from distances now. Really, why didn't they do this again? Oh right, snake was probably going to eat one of them in the process. But since it's already eating them...
<Merc> ooc: Coily gets an AoO
<Merc> roll d20+16 have him take it, I doubt Anassia would say no to him eating the people shooting her full of holes.
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 19 > [d20=3]
<Merc> roll d8+4
<Merc> roll d20+8
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 9 > [d20=1]
<Anassia> (( OM NOM NOM
<Merc> Coily eats another member of the warparty as arrows fly at Anassia, all hitting against the undead snake's powerful bones. Still, Coily's going to have to work for his meal now with them spread out like that.
* Maya_Mahabala continues moving around the woman, leaping again in a violent strike at the back of her neck as she goes past once more, her aerial antics particularly hard to hit.
<Maya_Mahabala> roll 1d20+16 jump
<Penuche> Maya_Mahabala invokes Penuche's magic: < 24 > [d20=8]
<Maya_Mahabala> roll 1d20+14 (+2 if jump succeeds) Attack
<Penuche> Maya_Mahabala invokes Penuche's magic: < 20 > [d20=6]
<Maya_Mahabala> roll 1d20+18 tumble defensiveness
<Penuche> Maya_Mahabala invokes Penuche's magic: < 30 > [d20=12]
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 25 > [d20=12]
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 33 > [d20=20]
<Merc> ooc: jump/tumble fail. Attack hits
<Maya_Mahabala> roll 2d8+6 damage again, hit like eight~
<Penuche> Maya_Mahabala invokes Penuche's magic: < 18 > [d8=6,6]
<Merc> roll d2+4
<Merc> Barvales gives a scream of rage as Maya's swing leaves a horrible wound even through all her armor. Maya's strikes and Anassia's potshots really seem to have been piling up. "I just need to hit you a few more times!" she exclaims. The problem is, she herself can probably only take a few more hits too.
<Anassia> Anassia decides to change tactics.  Lifting her hand to her wounds, she scowls at the soldiers.  "I'm going to give you an option to let you go," she says coldy, as her eyes begin to glow to match the shade of blood on the snake.  "Or I can let my pet rip you to pieces.  Run.  Now."
<Anassia> roll 1d20+18
<Penuche> Anassia invokes Penuche's magic: < 29 > [d20=11]
<Anassia> Intimidate!
<Merc> Coily roars to help in Anassia's intimidate attempt!
<Merc> Girlish screams come from many of the remaining warparty members. "...fuck this! Sorry but you're on your own boss!" is the sentiment screamed at large as Barvales is abandoned!
<Merc> "I am surrounded by goddamn cowards!" Barvales bites out. She does not have the option of running even if she wanted to, well aware that Maya would easily catch up to her, and there's no doubt in her mind that she won't be given a chance to leave this fight peacefully this time. Again she chases after Maya, this time in a reckless charge.
<Merc> roll d20+16 (PA-2, charge+2)
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 27 > [d20=11]
<Merc> Too reckless!
<Merc> The warparty simply flees, taking Anassia's invitation for survival and abandoning the woman that brought them together as a mighty bandit force! Such loyalty...
<Maya_Mahabala> "No, I don't think you are.  That's part of your problem.  The other part is that you're a really bad swing," She dashes by again, slashing barvales as she leads on toward where the cowards were heading.
<Maya_Mahabala> roll 1d20+16 jump again
<Penuche> Maya_Mahabala invokes Penuche's magic: < 25 > [d20=9]
<Maya_Mahabala> roll 1d20+14 Attack (+2 if jump)
<Penuche> Maya_Mahabala invokes Penuche's magic: < 22 > [d20=8]
<Maya_Mahabala> roll 1d20+18 Defensive tumbly
<Penuche> Maya_Mahabala invokes Penuche's magic: < 25 > [d20=7]
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 20 > [d20=7]
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 27 > [d20=14]
<Maya_Mahabala> roll 2d8+6 damage
<Penuche> Maya_Mahabala invokes Penuche's magic: < 10 > [d8=2,2]
<Merc> ooc: tumble fails. jump/attack succeed
<Merc> roll d2+4
<Merc> Maya's swing hurts more than her taunts. "God, what does it take to shut off this mouthy woman!" Barvales complains.
<Anassia> Anassia will return to throwing bolts at the woman, keeping Coily at range for now to avoid THAT HAMMA
<Anassia> roll 1d20+8
<Penuche> Anassia invokes Penuche's magic: < 26 > [d20=18]
<Anassia> roll 1d6+4
<Penuche> Anassia invokes Penuche's magic: < 8 > [d6=4]
<Merc> "Argh!" Barvales screams as the magic bolt courses through her body, ignoring her armor. "D-damn...u-useless...minions..." she grits out as she throws Anassia a glare but swings at Maya again.
<Merc> roll d20+18 (charge+2, no PA)
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 26 > [d20=8]
<Merc> The gods have forsaken her it seems. Poor Barvales. She had a good run for a while, but it seems karma has caught up with her.
* Merc changes topic to 'Maya > Anassia/Coily > Barvales'
<Maya_Mahabala> "Getting a bit sore?" She flipped over once again, stabbing down into Barvales' shoulder before coming down and dancing further inward, leading the chase into the woods.
<Maya_Mahabala> roll 1d20+16 jump
<Penuche> Maya_Mahabala invokes Penuche's magic: < 25 > [d20=9]
<Maya_Mahabala> roll 1d20+14 hit
<Penuche> Maya_Mahabala invokes Penuche's magic: < 34 > [d20=20]
<Maya_Mahabala> roll 1d20+14 crit check
<Penuche> Maya_Mahabala invokes Penuche's magic: < 20 > [d20=6]
<Maya_Mahabala> roll 1d20+18 tumble defense
<Penuche> Maya_Mahabala invokes Penuche's magic: < 25 > [d20=7]
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 17 > [d20=4]
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 26 > [d20=13]
<Maya_Mahabala> roll 4d8+12
<Penuche> Maya_Mahabala invokes Penuche's magic: < 37 > [d8=7,5,6,7]
<Merc> ooc: crit, and tumble def fails
<Merc> roll d2+4 just to see if she's really dead or only mostly dead
<Merc> Maya's swing obliterates through Barvales' armor, a mighty swing that just rips through, embedding her blade up to her spine, which Maya pulls as she does her usual cut and run. Falling to the ground, Barvales just curses Maya with her eyes, blood flowing from her half-bisected body.
<Merc> ooc: and free actions if you want any before pausing for Nama/Iddy
* Maya_Mahabala rubs her nose a bit.  "You know we have to chase them down now..." She stabbed her sword into the woman's back to make quite sure she wasn't getting up again.
<Merc> Maya's sword slides in with no reaction from the corpse. Barvales can't really say anything against Maya anymore.

Merc

Session Start: Sun Feb 27 17:08:26 2011

* Merc changes topic to 'G2 > Aleph >Brina > G5 > G3+4 > G1'

<Merc> <Merc> ooc: Aleph, you get a surprise attack on any of the approaching guards, then new round starts.
<Merc> * Aleph takes a shot at the most prepared-looking guard as he comes in, sparing no time to hesitate
<Merc> <Aleph> roll 1d20+12 (add extra +1 if point blank
<Merc> <Penuche> Aleph invokes Penuche's magic: < 22 > [d20=10]
<Merc> <Merc> ooc: hit
<Merc> <Aleph> roll 1d8+4 lol aleph without point blank
<Merc> <Penuche> Aleph invokes Penuche's magic: < 5 > [d8=1]
<Merc> <Merc> An arrow flashes and lodges itself in a guard's side! Ouch!

<Merc> ooc: guard 2 turn
<Merc> One of the guards rushes in and thrusts a spear at Aleph's side while he attacks one of his companions. "You won't get away with this, whoever you guys are! You don't know who you're messing with!"
<Merc> roll d20+8
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 10 > [d20=2]
<Merc> His thrust is a miss though.
<Merc> The gods hate him and all of Barvales' ilk.
<Aleph> "Someone clearly incompetent, I see..." Aleph rolls backward, quickly firing off three shots at the guard who tried to stab him, while the camp presumably continues to erupt in fiery blaze...
<Aleph> !roll 1d20+11 shot1
<Aleph> roll 1d20+11 shot1
<Penuche> Aleph invokes Penuche's magic: < 31 > [d20=20]
<Merc> ooc: yeaaaaaah, gods hate Barvales's gang
<Aleph> roll 1d20+11 confirmation
<Penuche> Aleph invokes Penuche's magic: < 16 > [d20=5]
<Aleph> roll 1d20+11 shot2
<Penuche> Aleph invokes Penuche's magic: < 17 > [d20=6]
<Aleph> roll 1d20+6 shot3
<Penuche> Aleph invokes Penuche's magic: < 21 > [d20=15]
<Merc> ooc: hit, but not crit. That would have been rape. And third also hits.
<Aleph> ooc: Damnit, dice are taunting me again
<Aleph> roll 1d8+9 shot1
<Aleph> roll 1d8+9 shot3
<Penuche> Aleph invokes Penuche's magic: < 14 > [d8=5]
<Penuche> Aleph invokes Penuche's magic: < 13 > [d8=4]
<Merc> roll d2
<Merc> roll d2
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 1 > [d2=1]
<Merc> The first arrow embeds itself firmly in the guard's chest, while the second wizzes just past his ear, and the third leaves a deep gash through the guard's shoulder as it flies past him.
<Merc> ooc: Brina
* Brina silently eyes the cooling corpse before slipping outside, sticking to whatever cover she can find and moves towards the screams of pain and horror comming from Aleph's direction..
<Merc> ooc: do a move silently/hide check to see if the second guard spots you as you sneak out.
<Brina> roll 1d20+13 hide
<Penuche> Brina invokes Penuche's magic: < 17 > [d20=4]
<Brina> roll 1d20+13 move silently
<Penuche> Brina invokes Penuche's magic: < 27 > [d20=14]
<Merc> roll d20+8 listen
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 21 > [d20=13]
<Merc> roll d20+6 spot
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 16 > [d20=10]
<Merc> ooc: You can surprise him/SA him
* Brina slips up to the second guard and drives her blade into him with as much hate and discontent as she can.
<Brina> roll 1d20+13
<Penuche> Brina invokes Penuche's magic: < 31 > [d20=18]
<Brina> roll 1d4+3
<Penuche> Brina invokes Penuche's magic: < 7 > [d4=4]
<Brina> roll 5d6 SA
<Penuche> Brina invokes Penuche's magic: < 13 > [d6=3,3,3,1,3]
<Merc> roll d2
<Merc> "URK!" The guard exclaims as Brina shoves a blade into his side from behind, actually lifting the man off the ground for a second with the force she jabbed him. Blood drips from his lips as he stands at death's door, looking like a single poke will drop him. His slower companions choose to make their appearance at this time, charging in as two surround Brina and the other two surround Aleph and attack!
<Merc> roll d20+10 G5
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 11 > [d20=1]
<Merc> roll d20+10 G3
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 27 > [d20=17]
<Merc> roll d20+10 G4 aleph
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 24 > [d20=14]
<Merc> roll d20+10 G1 aleph
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 24 > [d20=14]
<Merc> roll d3 for chance of the schmuck with a 1 hitting G2
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 2 > [d3=2]
<Aleph> 3 hits, so...
<Merc> roll d8+2
<Merc> roll d8+2
<Merc> roll d8+2
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 9 > [d8=7]
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 8 > [d8=6]
<Merc> roll d8+2
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 4 > [d8=2]
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 7 > [d8=5]
<Aleph> roll d3+2
<Aleph> roll d3+2
<Aleph> roll d3+2
<Penuche> Aleph invokes Penuche's magic: < 3 > [d3=1]
<Penuche> Aleph invokes Penuche's magic: < 4 > [d3=2]
<Penuche> Aleph invokes Penuche's magic: < 3 > [d3=1]
<Merc> The first guard only has a chance to give a betrayed look at his horrified attacker/companion as his stab goes through Brina's cloak and jabs straight into him, his body dropping to the ground like lead. His other companions have better luck doing their job at least. (OOC: 8 dmg on Brina, 11 on Aleph)
<Brina> OOC: DR is 1.
<Aleph> OOC: Uh, take the first two rolls, I guess?
<Merc> Aleph's armor blocks most of the attack, Brina's armor defends a little, and the second guard is just murdered by his companion's attack, a casualty along with that hole in Brina's cloak!
* Merc changes topic to 'Aleph >Brina > G5 > G3+4 > G1'
* Aleph takes a short step inside the spear range of the more wounded guard, firing a shot at literal point-blank...
<Aleph> roll 1d20+11
<Penuche> Aleph invokes Penuche's magic: < 12 > [d20=1]
<Aleph> ...And another...
<Aleph> roll 1d20+11
<Penuche> Aleph invokes Penuche's magic: < 30 > [d20=19]
<Aleph> roll 1d20+11 CONFIRM
<Penuche> Aleph invokes Penuche's magic: < 22 > [d20=11]
<Merc> ooc: epic miss and epic rape
<Aleph> ...and quickly redirecting the last shot to the other spearman
<Aleph> ooc: actually, scratch that.  Not sure if you can conserve iterative attacks and switch to a new target if the old one dies
<Merc> ooc: not if you don't have a cleave'ish feat
<Aleph> ooc: Gotcha.  So the last one's pretty much likely wasted anyway
<Merc> ooc: feel free to shoot to murder him more
<Merc> ooc: or just make sure
<Aleph> roll 1d20+6 excessive
<Aleph> roll 4d8+36 hey look a crit
<Penuche> Aleph invokes Penuche's magic: < 49 > [d8=3,5,2,3]
<Merc> ooc: well, that's a miss anyway, so no overkill besides the crit
<Aleph> There are two facts about archery--it's hard to draw a bead on a target that's right in front of you...and someone taking a shot at literal point blank is not likely to survive
<Merc> The first arrow was apparently defective, the feathers on it's tip crooked and forcing the arrow to quickly curve into the ground, making him look incompetent! Before the guard can make any crack about such horrible archery though, Aleph's next arrow slams itself into the guard's skull, right between the eyes as the metal tip stops just as it exits from the back of his skull. If he had any mocking words to say, he has no life with which to give them. A pity, as the second arrow also slams into the ground.
* Merc changes topic to 'Aleph >Brina > G5 > G3+4'
* Brina eyes the guard infront of her speculatively before letting a slow, sly smirk spread across her features before she darts straight at the guard, but throws herself into a roll to his left, coming up on her feet and twisting around behind him with a low, crouching twirl, ready to drive her dagger into his kidney..
<Merc> ooc: do a tumble to avoid AoO?
<Brina> roll d20+19
<Penuche> Brina invokes Penuche's magic: < 32 > [d20=13]
<Merc> roll d20+7
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 17 > [d20=10]
<Merc> ooc: make your move
<Brina> roll d20+13
<Merc> ooc: miss
<Merc> ooc: hit due to +15
<Brina> roll 1d4+3
<Brina> roll 5d6 SA
<Penuche> Brina invokes Penuche's magic: < 19 > [d6=6,3,3,4,3]
<Merc> Brina almost misses as she tries to dance around the guard, the distraction of the manuever is enough to put him off balance though, and as he attempts to jab her while she tumbles around him, she drives her blade into his shoulder and slices down the arm leaving a horrible wound trailing down his arm as he screams. "You crazy bitch!" he exclaims, forgetting his earlier misdeed against his companion as he tries to stab her again!
<Merc> roll d20+10 G5
<Merc> roll d20+10 G3
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 29 > [d20=19]
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 13 > [d20=3]
<Merc> roll d8+3
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 10 > [d8=7]
<Merc> The second guard misses as he hastily positions himself with the enraged guard, but the enraged guard manages to avenge his wound a bit this time as his spear leaves a wound on Brina's leg, even if it's nowhere near as deep as the one she left on his arm.
<Merc> Meanwhile, the remaining guard carefully considers Aleph, and attempts to take him down fast now that his partner has been killed in one shot!
<Merc> roll d20+8
<Merc> He's so careful about keeping an eye on Aleph though, that he stumbles against one of the arrows Aleph released into the ground and stumbles, not even coming close to hitting Aleph!
<Merc> ooc: listen checks and spot -3, then Aleph's turn again
<Merc> ooc: checks for both of you
<Brina> roll d20+9
<Penuche> Brina invokes Penuche's magic: < 14 > [d20=5]
<Aleph> roll 1d20+11 listen
<Penuche> Aleph invokes Penuche's magic: < 14 > [d20=3]
<Aleph> roll 1d20+8 spot
<Penuche> Aleph invokes Penuche's magic: < 19 > [d20=11]
<Merc> ooc: Brina, is that a listen or spot? And make the second check too
<Brina> OOC: Count that as Listen.
<Brina> roll d20+9 Spot
<Penuche> Brina invokes Penuche's magic: < 18 > [d20=9]
<Merc> As the duo dance around the burning tents and make a joke out of the guards starting to appear, they're too engrossed in the fight to notice reinforcements approaching, except for Aleph who somehow manages to spot a few signs of aproaching figures through the rising smoke.
<Merc> It'll still take them a while to get to where you're at though, so you'd better finish these guys quick before you get mobbed!
<Merc> ooc: Aleph go
* Aleph flips back as he lets three arrows fly toward the last guard engaging him, looking around to see where Brina is as of current...
<Aleph> roll 1d20+11 shot 1
<Penuche> Aleph invokes Penuche's magic: < 21 > [d20=10]
<Aleph> roll 1d20+11 shot 2
<Penuche> Aleph invokes Penuche's magic: < 22 > [d20=11]
<Aleph> roll 1d20+6 shot 3
<Penuche> Aleph invokes Penuche's magic: < 15 > [d20=9]
<Merc> ooc: hit/hit/miss
<Aleph> roll 1d8+9 shot 1
<Merc> ooc: actually, all hit. I was having him trip over your arrow for that one
<Aleph> roll 1d8+9 shot 2
<Penuche> Aleph invokes Penuche's magic: < 16 > [d8=7]
<Penuche> Aleph invokes Penuche's magic: < 15 > [d8=6]
<Aleph> roll 1d8+9 shot 3
<Merc> roll 3d2
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 3 > [d2=1,1,1]
<Merc> The guard is barely standing (well, not literally) as a trio of arrows slam into his body, Aleph not one to discount an advantage when it's given.
* Brina lets her small grin turn into a smirk promising pain as she springs from her crouch, leaping over the head of the wounded guard and landing behind him, instanly dodging into a roll to take her to his unprotected flank.
<Brina> roll d20+19
<Penuche> Brina invokes Penuche's magic: < 37 > [d20=18]
<Merc> ooc: roll damage. he can't beat that
<Merc> ooc: err, roll attack
<Brina> roll 1d20+15
<Penuche> Brina invokes Penuche's magic: < 32 > [d20=17]
<Brina> roll 1d4+3
<Penuche> Brina invokes Penuche's magic: < 4 > [d4=1]
<Brina> roll 5d6 SA
<Penuche> Brina invokes Penuche's magic: < 15 > [d6=1,5,2,6,1]
<Merc> roll 2d2 (extra d2 cause I forgot to roll that last round)
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 3 > [d2=1,2]
<Merc> Only the third of the guards remains uninjured after all this, the pair just mopping the floor with Barvales' guards, having already killed a good number of them and two tittering over death's precipice!
<Merc> The guard weakly attempts to stab Brina again, as does his nervous looking companion, wondering if there is more backup coming or not. The other guard however just stands and starts running away! How foolish when you've been fighting an archer of Aleph's skil...wait, maybe this is a decent strategy? It's a test, who do the gods hate more, Aleph or him!
<Merc> roll d20+10 Brina
<Merc> roll d20+10 Brina
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 20 > [d20=10]
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 29 > [d20=19]
<Merc> roll d8+2 both hit?
<Merc> roll d8+2 both hit?
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 8 > [d8=6]
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 3 > [d8=1]
<Merc> As both spears jab into Brina from opposite directions, Aleph's opponent puts as much distance between them as he can!
<Merc> ooc: actually, first let's roll init for the new guys
<Merc> roll 4#d20+3
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 4, 14, 8, 14 >
* Aleph takes one look at the fleeing guard. And instead turns toward the two guards attacking Brina, letting three arrows fly toward the nearer of those two before taunting "Hey, lunkheads! Might want to think about the better part of valor right about now!"
<Aleph> roll 1d20+11 shot1
<Penuche> Aleph invokes Penuche's magic: < 12 > [d20=1]
<Aleph> roll 1d20+11 shot2
<Penuche> Aleph invokes Penuche's magic: < 18 > [d20=7]
<Aleph> roll 1d20+6 shot3 I HATE YOU FUCKING DICE
<Penuche> Aleph invokes Penuche's magic: < 25 > [d20=19]
<Aleph> roll 1d20+6 Confirm?
<Penuche> Aleph invokes Penuche's magic: < 18 > [d20=12]
<Merc> ooc: hit and crit. As for the 1....normally I'd be against letting you hit a teammate, but with smoke and them being grouped together...
<Merc> roll d4 (2 hits Brina)
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 2 > [d4=2]
<Merc> ooc: roll crit and hit, the fail does min damage though
<Aleph> roll 4d8+36 crit
<Penuche> Aleph invokes Penuche's magic: < 62 > [d8=6,7,6,7]
<Aleph> roll 1d8+9 hit
<Penuche> Aleph invokes Penuche's magic: < 12 > [d8=3]
<Merc> Two arrows murder the formerly uninjured guard, killing him in one shot, while the second shot probably just murders him more...somehow. One of Aleph's arrows goes wary in the smoke though and stabs into Brina's leg, the very leg that guard injured! The pain is tremendous, more so than the actual damage!
* Merc changes topic to 'Aleph >Brina > G5'
* Brina grinds her teeth and shoots a glare at Aleph, knowing she won't be very mobile until she gets the arrow out of her leg, and thus simply lunges at the guard, deciding to try and take him down face-to-face..
<Brina> roll 1d20+13
<Brina> roll 1d20+8
<Penuche> Brina invokes Penuche's magic: < 22 > [d20=14]
* Aleph flashes his best 'oh shit'/'sorry' look back, grimacing awkwardly
<Merc> ooc: one hit
<Brina> roll 1d3+4
<Penuche> Brina invokes Penuche's magic: < 6 > [d3=2]
<Merc> The first attack misses, but the second swing catches him in the throat! He makes a gurgling noise as he tries to reach for Brina even as he falls, but Brina just steps aside, the body thumping on the ground.
<Merc> ooc: reroll init for the newcomers, then we'll go on a temp break for Iddy
<Aleph> roll 1d20+4 init
<Penuche> Aleph invokes Penuche's magic: < 12 > [d20=8]
<Brina> roll d20+4
<Penuche> Brina invokes Penuche's magic: < 8 > [d20=4]
<Merc> ooc: <Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 4, 14, 8, 14 > <-- new guys
* Merc changes topic to 'GG2 = GG4 > Aleph > Brina > GG3 > GG1'
<Merc> As Brina's opponent falls under a flurry of quick strikes, the duo is not given much time to rest, even Brina can see the backup approaching! Aleph is the closer of the pair though, so he gets to welcome them first as two of them charge at him, thrusting with their spears as they charge in!
<Merc> roll d20+10
<Merc> roll d20+10
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 30 > [d20=20]
<Merc> ooc: the hell?
<Merc> roll d20+10 crit?
<Merc> roll 3d8+6 crit ouch
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 18 > [d8=4,7,1]
<Merc> ooc: roll DR
<Aleph> roll 1d3+2
<Penuche> Aleph invokes Penuche's magic: < 4 > [d3=2]
<Merc> Even as one jabs his spear horribly painfully into Aleph's midsection, the other's spear strikes the other spear and combined with the charge result in the guard somehow polevaulting himself into one of the burning tents! Painful -and- embarrasing!
* Aleph ends up cringing from that attack...and then staggers back a bit as he got practically impaled...and then goes for a retaliatory flurry against the one who stabbed him...
<Penuche> Aleph invokes Penuche's magic: < 27 > [d20=16]
<Penuche> Aleph invokes Penuche's magic: < 20 > [d20=9]
<Merc> ooc: hit/hit/miss
<Aleph> roll 1d8+9 hit1
<Aleph> roll 1d8+9 hit2
<Penuche> Aleph invokes Penuche's magic: < 17 > [d8=8]
<Merc> roll d2
<Merc> roll d2
<Merc> Aleph's two arrows somehow do more damage than the guard's spear thrust, Aleph a master of placing his shots where they hurt like hell!
* Merc changes topic to 'GG2 = GG4(sprawled) > Aleph > Brina > GG3 > GG1'
* Brina takes a split second to snap the arrow in her leg off to prevent it from snagging on anything and darts around the guard who speared Aleph, falling into a roll to come up on her feet with a twirl at the guard's back..
<Merc> ooc: roll your attack
* Brina lashes out at the guard's kidney, focusing all her pain and frustration in the strike, but still locking eyes with Aleph and glaring at him.. Pain will come for Aleph.. Oh yes..
<Brina> roll 1d20+15
<Penuche> Brina invokes Penuche's magic: < 19 > [d20=4]
<Brina> roll 1d4+3
<Brina> roll 5d6
<Penuche> Brina invokes Penuche's magic: < 20 > [d6=4,6,3,4,3]
<Merc> roll d2
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 2 > [d2=2]
<Merc> Brina finishes him off in a show of flashing steel, the combination of arrows and blade brutally effective!
* Merc changes topic to 'GG4(sprawled/burning) > Aleph > Brina > GG3 > GG1'
<Merc> The two other guards also charge in, stabbing at Brina who is now the closer foe of the two, and doubly tempting a target with the larger set of wounds she sports!
<Merc> roll d20+10 charge
<Merc> roll d20+10 charge
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 27 > [d20=17]
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 17 > [d20=7]
<Merc> roll d8+2
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 5 > [d8=3]
<Merc> One spear slashes through her armor, leaving a minor wound on her side. Aleph's arrow hurt more than that though, and that didn't stop her, neither will this! The other guard meanwhile just thrusts too eagerly to connect in any shape or form.
<Merc> roll d6 it burns!
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 2 > [d6=2]
<Merc> The other guard just rolls on the ground away from the burning tent, trying to put out the fire. he won't be much help for a while.
* Aleph opts to fire again at one of the guys attacking Brina--though he tries to be a bit MORE careful this time. You know, someone not on fire
<Penuche> Aleph invokes Penuche's magic: < 18 > [d20=7]
<Penuche> Aleph invokes Penuche's magic: < 28 > [d20=17]
<Penuche> Aleph invokes Penuche's magic: < 17 > [d20=11]
<Merc> ooc: three hits since they charged~
<Aleph> roll 1d8+9 shot 1
<Aleph> roll 1d8+9 shot 2
<Penuche> Aleph invokes Penuche's magic: < 12 > [d8=3]
<Aleph> roll 1d8+9 shot 3
<Penuche> Aleph invokes Penuche's magic: < 17 > [d8=8]
<Merc> roll 3d2
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 5 > [d2=2,1,2]
<Merc> ooc: just for the record, shot GG3 or 1?
<Aleph> I'll just say 3
<Merc> Aleph shoots three arrows in quick succession at the more off-balance of the two guards, all of them embedding themselves into his body, slightly slowed down by his armor, for which he is surely thankful.
* Brina throws herself into a low backflip/handstand, landing in a crouch behind the remaining two guards, then spins around to the outside flank of the pin-cushion, readying herself for more vengeance...
<Merc> ooc: attack
<Brina> roll d20+15 stabbity death
<Penuche> Brina invokes Penuche's magic: < 23 > [d20=8]
<Brina> roll 1d4+3
<Penuche> Brina invokes Penuche's magic: < 5 > [d4=2]
<Brina> roll 5d6 SA
<Penuche> Brina invokes Penuche's magic: < 16 > [d6=1,4,6,1,4]
<Merc> ooc: attacking the one that Aleph did, or the one that stabbed you?
<Brina> OOC: The pin-cushion. The one with arrows sticking out of him.
<Merc> Brina and Aleph make a good team, Aleph softens them up, and then Brina finishes them off. One-two combo, snip-snip-snip-slash-drop. The man falls, not having much chance against Brina's carefully placed blade!
* Merc changes topic to 'GG4 > Aleph > Brina > GG1'
<Merc> The one guard keeps attempting to thrust his spear into Brina, while he looks at the guard getting up from near the burning tent, his back sizzling. "Help me out, man! We're going to die otherwise!" he exclaims.
<Merc> roll d20+8
<Brina> "Yes. You will."
* Brina bares her teeth in a grin.
<Merc> In his panic, he stumbles against the corpse of his companion and jams his spear into the ground, which he tries to pull out, but it's deeply embedded! Oh what a horrible time for such things to happen!
<Merc> The other guard does attempt to help though, as he moves into flanking position and stabs at Brina.
<Merc> roll d20+8
<Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 11 > [d20=3]
<Merc> ooc: +2 more from flank, not that it matters
<Merc> But his aim is not near as hot as his sizzling back!
<Aleph> "Give up and leave.  You can't win, you realize."
<Merc> "W-we can't! Barvales would hunt us down and kill us!" the guard exclaims, though he does look pretty hesitant and nervous about the odds now that they don't outnumber the duo, and his partner is someone who'd polevault himself into a burning tent...
<Merc> ooc: roll diplomacy if you want to try to convince 'em.
<Merc> ooc: Or bluff if you think appropriate
<Brina> "You can die here, right now, or you can run and at least have a chance. I'll give you none, if you stay."
<Brina> roll d20+4 (bluff)
<Penuche> Brina invokes Penuche's magic: < 7 > [d20=3]
<Merc> ooc: that's more of an intimidate check, really
<Brina> roll d20+2 (intimidate)
<Penuche> Brina invokes Penuche's magic: < 18 > [d20=16]
<Merc> ooc: Do you want to help her intimidate them, Aleph? Or roll your own roll? =p
<Aleph> "Hm?  You sure she'd actually come back for a couple of guards and a burning camp?  ...one of whom would polevault into the latter as well?"
<Aleph> (Would that be a bluff or intimidate?)
<Merc> ooc: that's probably more of a bluff. I'd allow diplo too
<Aleph> roll d20+7 bluff
<Penuche> Aleph invokes Penuche's magic: < 10 > [d20=3]
<Merc> ooc: Are you rolling for yourself or to assist?
<Merc> ooc: well, both fail either way. But Brina is scary!
<Merc> Brina is more effective with her threat, what with being covered in soot and blood, not to mention having just -killed- two guards right in front of them! The guards drop their weapons and move to flee! You could shoot them in the back if you were such cruel people! They -are- bandits after all!
* Aleph isn't shooting.
<Merc> ooc: free actions. You have six leather armors you can collect and eight longspears. You'd want to be quick though what with the fire spreading and such.
* Brina turns and slaps Aleph in the back of the head with a growl and a glare.
<Brina> "Not one word. Not one. Just pick up what you can."
<Aleph> "..."
* Aleph hangs his head and gets to looting
* Brina points at him with a glare to make sure he does as he's told and then moves to pick a spear up, using it as a walking stick and hobbling behind him.
<Brina> "You, young man, are going to practice. More. And I *will* watch your progress. Do we understand?"
<Merc> As you're pulling the armor off the corpses, btw, you do notice one of them is actually still alive, desperately clinging to survival! He's at -9 hp, but stabilized even though he has an arrow embeded in his skull! Do you save him or put him out of his misery?
* Brina shuffles over and looks him over..
<Brina> "Think we'll be able to get anything out of him with that arrow in him?"
* Aleph shakes his head
<Aleph> "Probably not."
* Brina nods and flips the spear over, using the bladed edge to drive directly into his heart, hopefully putting him out of his misery quickly and painlessly..
* Brina pulls the spear out with a twist and wipes the gore off on the cooling body's pants before going back to use it as a walking stick.
<Merc> As the two of you clean things up, the camp burning to the ground, corpses behind you, and bags filled with war trophies, you both note that it's pretty quiet where Anassia and Maya were at. Looks like they cleaned up too!
<Aleph> "I guess we head back?"
<Brina> "Mmmhmm.. You realize you'll be the one taking care of me in penance, right?"
* Brina smirks at him sideways.
<Brina> "But, I won't make it *too* hard on you."
<Aleph> "I guess I can accept that."
* Brina nods.
<Brina> "Good boy. I'll even teach you the right way to dote on a woman... Might help you get some attention on your own."
* Brina grins silkily at him and chuckles.
* Brina glances behind her at the bodies, making a quick count, and takes a moment to pause, drawing two of her daggers and putting seven notches on the handle of her main dagger before moving off again with Aleph.
* Aleph blinks in surprise "...wait, I've been doing it wrong? ...I thought--" he shuts up before he says more
<Brina> "See? I'm teaching you already."
* Brina grins at him.