News:

No longer content with mere attendance, the middle-class suburban poseurs have begun to put their hands in the air and wave them like they just don't care

Main Menu

Random manga chatter

Started by Dracos, May 12, 2011, 05:21:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Merc

Ugh. I remember hating the last one you linked. I couldn't read past the part with the heroine getting brainwashed.

I've not read the third one, I'll have to look at that one at some point.
<Cidward> God willing, we'll all meet in Buttquest 2: The Quest for More Butts.

Dracos

Good avatar :)

Overlord supposedly is getting a second season.  Looking forward to it.
Well, Goodbye.

tabyk

Quote from: Dracos on December 29, 2015, 06:40:54 PMGood avatar :)

Oh good, SO much story left to tell with that one.

I read that GATE was also getting a second season, and I heard there is talks about Is It Wrong To Pick Up Girls in Dungeons possibly getting one as well.
"ZenCrafters!  Total enlightenment... in about an hour."

Merc

Quote from: Merc on December 28, 2015, 10:50:12 PM
Found a new manga called Helck ( http://bato.to/comic/_/comics/helck-r17710/ ). It is the story of Helck and Vamirio. Helck is a human hero. Vamirio is a demoness.

Vamirio is also one of the surviving generals of the old demon king, who was just recently defeated by the human hero. She is running a tournament to decide the new demon king who will hopefully defend them against the humans and possibly retaliate....except one of the tournament contestants is Helck! What the heck? Why does the human hero want to be demon king?

Manga is pretty goofy throughout, while also advancing a serious subplot behind all the goofiness. Not a lot of it so far, but it's updating frequently.

Helck continues to be amazing, usually with 1-3 chapter updates a day to boot. The subplot's now the main part of the story, so its a lot more serious than goofy now.

Dracos

Quote from: tabyk on December 30, 2015, 11:58:13 PM
Quote from: Dracos on December 29, 2015, 06:40:54 PMGood avatar :)

Oh good, SO much story left to tell with that one.

I read that GATE was also getting a second season, and I heard there is talks about Is It Wrong To Pick Up Girls in Dungeons possibly getting one as well.

Hiiiiss :P  Gate manga is soooo much better than that anime though.
Well, Goodbye.

Empyrean

Quote from: Merc on December 28, 2015, 10:50:12 PM
Found a new manga called Helck ( http://bato.to/comic/_/comics/helck-r17710/ ). It is the story of Helck and Vamirio. Helck is a human hero. Vamirio is a demoness.

Vamirio is also one of the surviving generals of the old demon king, who was just recently defeated by the human hero. She is running a tournament to decide the new demon king who will hopefully defend them against the humans and possibly retaliate....except one of the tournament contestants is Helck! What the heck? Why does the human hero want to be demon king?

Manga is pretty goofy throughout, while also advancing a serious subplot behind all the goofiness. Not a lot of it so far, but it's updating frequently.
So, it's updated a bunch since that was posted. Currently at chapter 58.

It starts off goofy, but really doesn't stay that way. Helck's backstory is tragic as hell, and casts some of Helck's goofy features (always smiling, occasionally wields a tiny sword) in a much darker light. Helck may be a nigh-invulnerable hyper-competent meatmountain, but he really needs a hug and a friend. All that being said, the dramatic stuff is well done, and probably the weakest chapters of the whole manga are the ones at the start where it's just Vamirio trying to sabotage the tournament without getting personally involved.

This manga is good. Definitely recommending.

Quote from: tabyk on December 28, 2015, 11:09:28 PMhttp://bato.to/comic/_/comics/overlord-r14048 (which again has a decent anime, I am shocked!).
Been following the manga, haven't seen the anime. It's alright so far.

Quote from: tabyk on December 28, 2015, 11:09:28 PMhttp://bato.to/comic/_/comics/shina-dark-kuroki-tsuki-no-ou-to-souheiki-no-himegimi-r1062 (lots of good humor on this one).
Shina Dark bears some explanation. It's been almost ten years since I read it, and it hadn't been picked up by another publisher after the first one went under by that point, so this is incomplete (and possibly wrong):

The Demon Lord rules an island that appears from nowhere every so often, and it's prophesied that he'll wreck everything unless he is appeased by sending him lots of and lots of beautiful young women. So, when the island appears, the Demon King wakes up and finds that his island has a bunch of female refugees on it. He addresses them, more or less, as follows: "It seems that you've all been condemned by your families to become concubines of the devil. I never asked for that and it's not really my thing, but since we're all stuck here we might as well make the best of things. We're implementing representative democracy, elections are next week. I'll be putting up a job board later today, after I hang around in my house for a bit."

He's a nice guy. Very laid back.

Quote from: tabyk on December 28, 2015, 11:09:28 PMhttp://bato.to/comic/_/comics/maou-no-hajimekata-the-comic-r15438 (which they won't ever make an anime of, in my opinion, unless it was a hentai).
I stopped reading this one recently. Brainwashing a woman into his service (sexual and otherwise) was bad enough, but I skipped through and got on with the story. Problem is that it gets worse as it goes. It started out with some promise, what with the empire-building aspects and whatnot, but with the latest chapter consisting of him threatening to kill a prisoner's friends unless she begs him to rape her, it's just way too much. Aside from being utterly contemptible, the villain protagonist is boring. He's a flat character who had a sort of interesting hobby in establishing his own kingdom, but that seems to be taking a back seat to his main focus of raping people. Not recommended.

Part-Time Job is "Evil Organization?" http://bato.to/comic/_/comics/baito-saki-wa-aku-no-soshiki-r14831

This remains one of my favorites. Up to 14 chapters now, updating roughly once a week. One of the company executives is getting a lot more page time lately, as well as development as a love interest. She would also like to make it very clear that she is neither old, nor a lesbian. Dunno where these rumors even start (the R&D department head is to blame), or how they managed to reach the Heroes of Justice, but there you go.

The downside of dating your boss at an evil organization is that she is likely to be both evil, and better at it than you are. On the other hand, she might give you her underwear, if only for the blackmail material.

Dracos

Been a while.

Helck is still interesting. 

http://bato.to/comic/_/comics/tate-no-yuusha-no-nariagari-r12672 is still sorta running on whiny protagonist (who has 3 harem sidekicks :p and hates the world)

http://bato.to/comic/_/comics/gate-thus-the-jsdf-fought-there-r5353 has been updating more slowly this past year but still is a pleasant read.

http://bato.to/comic/_/comics/zannen-jokanbu-black-general-san-r19657/ is in kind of a similar vein to http://bato.to/comic/_/comics/baito-saki-wa-aku-no-soshiki-r14831, following a comical villain organization facing off against Braveman.

Who really seriously does not want any of this shit.  Especially to be dated by busty villain.

http://bato.to/comic/_/comics/tensei-shitara-slime-datta-ken-r15553 - One of the handful of 'respawned with SUPERPOWERS', I find it rather cute but sadly it got abandoned.  It follows a sort of supporty GREAT SAGE slime character that has tremendous super powers, takes over a small goblin village, and then starts building out from there.  Largely focused on friendship making/trading and recruiting at the moment.  Someone is just barely translating it now, likely with no support.  People are giving whoever that is shit but oh well.

http://bato.to/comic/_/comics/kumo-desu-ga-nani-ka-r17709 - another in that vein.  Gamer geek girl gets reincarnated as low level spider.  Tries to hikkimori it up in the cave.  Starts focusing on survival lots.  More focused on leveling up I think.  She doesn't get a tribe of supports like in most the others, or teachers.  Current monkey rush arc is a bit weird (Really?  For one of them getting killed, they're getting dozens killed?  Kinda seems like a monster group that would get wiped out...but I guess game rules or something.)
Well, Goodbye.

Merc

Both the slime and spider series are much further along as web/light novel translations, and they're a bit more fleshed out there too, which is probably part of what impacts the translation interest in the manga versions. Admittedly, some people prefer the faster pacing of the manga, but it's still a factor probably.

Merc

Normally not a big fan of 4-koma style manga, but Tomo-chan pushed me to give the style more chances.

I'm enjoying Mousou Telepathy right now, which is about a girl who happens to have telepathy and is dealing with the fact that apparently the most popular guy in school is crushing on her, even while most people just think she's a weirdo or a loner. And that'd be great and all...except the guy is apparently also imagining himself doing very dirty and perverted things with her.

thepanda

Iirc the author of the spider one just up and dropped it.

thepanda

TOARU OSSAN NO VRMMO KATSUDOUKI

Something I just caught up on. I'm not really sure what to classify the genre as. Slice-of-life fantasy mmorpg with a main character who chose supposedly crappy starting skills? That bit kind of goes to the wayside after the fairy queen is introduced. Thematically wanders a bit, but the latest arc looks like its pulling a soft reset.

And I'm making it sound much worse than it is. I do enjoy the story. >_>

thepanda

Tales of Demons and Gods

Remember Naruto peggysue fics? This, this is what this is. And not like the good ones, either. Sure, the numbers are filed off, but this is some self-indulgent, reincarnation, power wank. All the hallmarks are here.

(As an aside, are manwha heroes just prone to being arrogant assholes, or have I just had bad luck with my choices lately?)

Dracos

I think I read one once that was a self-deprecated 'special'.
Well, Goodbye.

Merc

Some follow-up fantasy world recommendations now that Helck's been finished a while:

Retired Heroes is a series that switches points of view between some retired heroes and the daughter of two of them. The retired heroes are acknowledged as having defeated the former demon king, but their actual identities aren't known for the most part, so they're living incognito. It's flip flopping a bit between a slice of life feel and something more serious, so could go either way there.

Skeleton Soldier Couldn't Protect the Dungeon feels like a gamer type story. No isekai involved though, the gamer ability is gained by a skeleton as he dies and restarts his original life with a gaming system in the background, and resets his life each time he dies, though once he reaches a 'save point' of some sort (which isn't defined yet), he resets from that point. Somewhat interesting so far, and he keeps losing rather than immediately becoming OP, so that's both good and kinda yikes since every time he dies it seems to involve some poor girl dying.

This one has a long title and not going to write it out, but it's a romantic comedy about a badass female knight getting wooed. It's just a cute story more than adventure fodder.

Memesis is a silly story of friendship and betrayal. The hero Leon abandoned his adventuring party to create a new one with a pair of big breasted beautiful girls. This is the story of the abandoned former team mates, and their goal to become so strong they can one day make Leon cry and apologize for abandoning them.

The Suffering of Knight Hans is an isekai story, where the protagonist isn't the isekai character, but rather a local knight in a rural town out in the borders of the kingdom. He's a retired badass, who suddenly finds his town visited by not one, but MULTIPLE isekai characters, all japanese people, each with a different isekai power, and basically getting them used to their new world and treating them as guests. There's a bit of action here, but mostly it's a slice of life type comedy.

My Daughter Grew Up to be S-Rank is a story about a retired adventurer wanting to see his grown up daughter and vice versa. Unfortunately, as an S-rank adventurer, she keeps having to cancel her vacation to save the day, and so both papa and daughter keep being unable to meet again.

Sadly, they all lack the tremendous update speed of Helck in its peak. Alas.

Dracos

I read most of skeleton knight prior and caught up now.  Unsure if it will go anywhere?  Kind of has that vibe.

https://mangadex.org/manga/24244 This also has that vibe following a bear costumed young isekai video game geek.  She gets returned to level 1, but with super bear equipment and other cheat items... so she can basically ignore the rationality of the world...and does so.

https://mangadex.org/manga/16801 - This, following a girl who gets summoned to be raped...but ends up somewhere different, so starts being an overpowered healer/mage with a ridiculous giant dog familiar (so fluffy).  It actually does seem like it is going somewhere...albeit that somewhere might be just ending soon.
Well, Goodbye.