News:

Because we're grown ups now, and its our turn to decide what that means.

Main Menu

Soulriders 5.0 discussion

Started by Anastasia, June 22, 2011, 04:09:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Music-chan

Quote from: Merc on July 02, 2011, 07:24:04 PM
Astronomy's pretty nice, though the news box is pretty cramped in it. And I kinda wish it was slightly more towards the blue scale of color than the purple. Still, it's just about the only theme we currently have that I might try outside of the core one.
THE PURPLE RULES ALL!

Incidentally, your Mercury icon matches the purple pretty well.
The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursuing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say.

Merc

It matches the blues of the core theme even better though. Maybe if I ever use a Hotaru avatar I'll switch to Astronomy? ;)
<Cidward> God willing, we'll all meet in Buttquest 2: The Quest for More Butts.

Dracos

I'd probably fling clear sky as one.  Or Soft Cartoon.  I just feel a light default theme is best, even if many of us use back n black.
Well, Goodbye.

Dracos

Well, Goodbye.

Jon

When I click on text or html attachments, they're always downloaded. I then need to open them and delete them from my downloads folder.

It would be nice to have something better than inlining chapters or attaching files in this manner.

Dracos

Jon: That might be on the settings side on your browser?

It's true I've totally seen that caused by misconfigured web browsers, but I'm totally able to just click and open the attachments with Firefox just fine and I suspect I'd get the same result with chrome.  Huh, Chrome does seem to want to save it instead of give you a choice.  Setting it to Always Open seems to work, but given Firefox works perfectly fine here and apparently so does IE and  ...apparently I only have those 3 on hand.  Not sure what to do about chrome not behaving right here.

Google isn't bringing me any insight either on others resolving this forumside.
Well, Goodbye.

Jon

Hm, I am using Chrome, but I could have sworn I had a similar complaint back when I used Firefox.

(I also have a complaint about how the whole attachment thing works in a long-going thread with multiple versions of a chapter being posted. Either Brian has replaced an attached file at some point or I have managed to completely forget which post I downloaded the attachment from; in either case, not the best experience for me.)

Basically my point is that for various reasons, participating in C&C is actually quite annoying for me when fics are posted as file attachments. I'll understand if I'm the only person inconvenienced in this way and as a result you're disinclined to change things. But I did want to bring it up.

(I have no idea how I'll post if/when I have something worth posting. Probably a link to my webspace or dropbox public file or something.)

Brian

Mm, most of those issues are my fault, nothing to do with the forum.

Maybe we could argue raising the attachment cap per post, but mostly it suggests that posting multiple files in a thread may not be the best idea.  I just felt it was the better alternative for a rewrite, rather than eight threads in the span of a week (practically).
I handle other fanfic authors Nanoha-style.  Grit those teeth!  C&C incoming!
Prepare to be befriended!

~exploding tag~

Jon

Quote from: Brian on October 06, 2011, 03:05:57 AM
Mm, most of those issues are my fault, nothing to do with the forum.

Perhaps, but my annoyance with the status quo has been building for some time; it's not just because of the Later thread. Anyway, if other people don't find it annoying, I can live with that and figure something out.

Dracos

Well, Truthfully, I've not been putting any guidelines on how folks share their work...  the small audience, casual setting, and generally non-serious demeanor of the site doesn't really jive well with how to post your fic.

I can up the number of attachments per post (done, 20 now).  In general, folks are using the threads as temp storage for current feedback.  I suppose we can encourage people to link the final version archive in their opening posts, but story versions being replaced or removed is just likely to happen.
Well, Goodbye.

Merc

For mod suggestions, if you're still taking them (I have no idea how easy/hard it is to install mods once the board is actually up): Tabular

It's a table formatting mod. Has some options involving headers, borders, and captions, as well as commands for colspan/rowspan, which is nice.

Brian

Huh.  Not sure I can see much use for this ... though, I guess maybe in gaming stat threads?  Defining cells for character sheets?

How would you use it?
I handle other fanfic authors Nanoha-style.  Grit those teeth!  C&C incoming!
Prepare to be befriended!

~exploding tag~

Merc

Mostly just to keep some tables nicer looking. I don't really like the invisible borders personally.

Really, tables pretty much only get used for custom classes/PrCs, I think?

If it's difficult to install mods now that SMF2.0 is running, it's probably not worth the hassle, but if it's pretty easy, it's nice for some gaming things and just having some extra options can be nice.

Anastasia

As long as it doesn't change old table functionality it looks like a good idea. I can say I don't want to edit a few hundred tables if this does fiddle with them, though.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Merc

It doesn't change it at all. The [ table ] bbcode still works fine, that mod uses it's own code [ tabular ].