News:

"It occured to me while drunk, so it must have been genius."

Main Menu

Random DM nagging.

Started by Anastasia, August 06, 2011, 10:56:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corwin

Quote from: Anastasia on June 27, 2017, 09:27:31 PM
By +8 bonus I meant like a +8 bonus to hit or whatever, or a suitable enhancement to Strength. Not to BAB, level + whatever to BAB is one of those things I don't want to do for balance reasons.

You mean along these lines?

Greater Divine Power v3
Evocation
Level: Clr 11, War 12
Components: V, S, DF
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: 1 round/level
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

Calling upon the divine power of your patron, you imbue yourself with skill in combat. Your base attack bonus becomes equal to your character level (which may give you additional attacks), you gain a +8 bonus to attacks and damage, and you gain 2 temporary hit point per caster level.

Since War 11 is actually taken, maybe War 12?
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Anastasia

Something like that, yeah.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Corwin

I await thine judgement~
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Anastasia

Quote from: Iron Dragoon on June 25, 2017, 12:24:27 AM
Dune, still sorta waiting on answers to these:

The cost to make it into an Ioun Stone; the only reference I see for Ioun Stones is a No space limitation thing, but that doesn't say anything about it levitating or other Ioun Stone stuff:
http://www.soulriders.net/forum/index.php/topic,101784.msg1097244.html#msg1097244

The cost to increase uses/day; this is sorta answered on the SRD page, but I'm not sure what the full formula is for Divide by (5 divided by charges per day):
http://www.soulriders.net/forum/index.php/topic,101729.msg1096971.html#msg1096971

First one's answered over in loot.

Second one's tough since metamagic pricing has no serious formula (though someone figured out a rough one for the ones in Complete Arcane, but even then it requires some tweaking). On reflection and the fact that I don't feel there's any good way to deal with this, I'm not going to allow increasing the time sper day of a metamagic rod. Using multiples of the same rod is still valid.

I may come back to this later when I have time to pound out the problems for this, but not now.
<Afina> Forever.

Iron Dragoon

Alrighty, thanks.

On a different note, what's the ruling on Genesis? 9th level Sor/Wiz per the SRD, but it also seems like something that might have gotten bumped up in level for B3, considering Volcanic Genesis is Sor/Wiz 11.
This is not the greatest post in the world, no... this is just a tribute.

Anastasia

Those two spells are unrelated, it's just a name-alike.

Anyway, we talked about this on IRC so I'll paste the relevant parts.

> That's really the question? If you just want an unseen servant to slowly transcribe things, that's barely past the 1st level spell.
> If you want to do it all at once, yeah, that's a pretty beefy spell.
<Iddy> Over reasonable time. This leads to my Genesis question. Rough idea is to create a demi-plane library and maybe a variant or upgraded version of Bibliotheca Arcana.
<Iddy> A version that links with the demi-plane and records everything I read/encounter while Bibliotheca Arcana is active.
> Mmmm.
> Well, figure out a demiplane first.
> Which yes, I saw that PM.
> http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/spells/genesis.htm Simplest way RAW, but time consuming and also the XP->GP conversion is brutal unless you have ignore material components. Which I'm not sure I like that particular interaction, but that's a whole other pile of shredded cabbage.
> One of those vague todo projects for a booster is to go into more detail about how to make demiplanes and offer options. That one dips into pre-epic, but most options for it are meant to be into epic levels, at least with how I'd do it.
<Iddy> Yeah, the gold cost is horrible. I'd look into possibly entreating Seira or one of her more powerful minions into helping or doing it as a reward type deal.
> Genesis, with a bit of revision for the campaign, isn't a bad start. I have it in my head there's a 13thish level spell that's basically Genesis 2.0. To be honest, for a bunch of reasons, it's a case where I'd probably fudge it so you can't bypass the gold cost for Genesis with things like ignore material components, mabye. I dunno. I've never really written down a full revision for it, since I have it in my head at how they work at higher levels, and that's where I tend to focus.
> They're not easy to make, but not so hard that they're uncommon in epic.
<Iddy> I don't have ignore material components (I assume that's a metamagic feat), so I'd need either the cash or a hook up.
> A deity's alter reality can make them as well, by taking tiny splinters of their divine realm and forging it into a new demiplane. Hasn't ever come up in that many words IC, though probably alluded to a few times.
> Normal feat. It's the followup to eschew material components. Epic and allows you to bypass components of any price (but not focuses). So that spell that requires 500 gold of diamond dust as a material component wouldn't if you have that feat.
<Iddy> Ah. Unfortunately I don't have any feat slots I can really swap out. I could maybe pick up Eschew Materials depending on how you have Spellcatching work. I could swap Imp. Counterspell for it, but yeah, I don't have any free Epic Feat slots. Everything's planned out until levle 30 =/
* Kotono nods.
> In any case, if you're seriously interested in making one, I'll take a stab at that booster.
<Iddy> Well, it's sorta more thematic, but yeah, I am. I don't know much about demi-planes or what I can do with them for it to be useful other than a place for me to put my stuff though.

---

This is half prep and half me talking to myself about this, but feel free to reply.

Genesis is probably fine as written, barring a few tweaks for balance reasons (making sure time aspects can't be changed, for example). Ignore material components really helps with it to the point I feel it's unbalanced, so it might pick up a focus as well. It's on the bare edge of being a 9th level spell, most demiplane things are epic magic.

Demiplanes know their creator and sometimes who rules them in place of the creator, if applicable. Triel did something like this with Triel's Furnace if I recall correctly, which benefited Alicia and Syala.

Having a demiplane is nice, though you still have to populate it, build things in it and all of that. It just provides your personal playground. One reason stealing them is popular is because it's a lot of work to build one in the first place and then set it up just so.

Deities can make demiplanes much easier than mortals, but have far less reason to make them. Still, many do have little demiplanes connected to their divine realms for various purposes. For example, Selune's personal quarters are actually a demiplane intimately connected to the Gates of the Moon and are that way for privacy reasons, as the way in is warded heavily. Conversely, Mephisto has an array of little demiplanes for experiments he wants no one else to possibly find out about. They're useful but honestly most of the uses are also to taste or marginal.

Demiplanes have no real size limit, though time and practicality are the biggest limitations.

Demiplanes allow a great deal of flexibility in designing defenses and your own personal redoubt. Of course, you have to do all the hard lifting yourself.

A fair few epic spells about demiplanes are custom spells known to only a single caster or perhaps a handful. For example, a 14th level spell is Genesis except the entire demiplane is hallowed for free. Big markup, but it was designed to adapt and spread as the demiplane is expanded. The exact needs a demiplane has to fulfill varies greatly from creator to creator, and thus so do the custom spells around them.

Spells to make demiplanes plus provide structures, living creatures or whatever are entirely possible as well. Probably bit beyond the party's reach right now, though maybe not.

Greater Genesis is a 13th level spell. Basically Genesis with all around improvements. That and Genesis are used as building blocks for a lot of those custom demiplane spells.

It's possible for a demiplane to merge with a plane and become part of it, usually an outer plane. This isn't something that happens by accident and is usually deliberate action. As outer planes are infinite, this has a relatively minimal impact. Demiplanes that don't match the outer plane they merged with (for example, a snowy wasteland that merges with the Fourth Hell) will change over time to become more like the outer plane, unless measures are taken to prevent this. A demiplane that is also a divine realm isn't subject to that, in case Sylica ever joins with Elysium, Dweomerheart or anything like that. Came up in B1. In that case it becomes a divine realm that's part of that plane.

A few epic feats tied to demiplane creation are plausible. I've never written them out, but I imagine it's the sort of thing that would fit an epic feat.
<Afina> Forever.

Iron Dragoon

So would that mean it's plausible to create one connected to The Cauldron as an outer plane with Seira's permission(/help)?
This is not the greatest post in the world, no... this is just a tribute.

Anastasia

Quote from: Iron Dragoon on June 29, 2017, 02:11:08 PM
So would that mean it's plausible to create one connected to The Cauldron as an outer plane with Seira's permission(/help)?

The Cauldron's an unusual situation since it's already a demiplane. This isn't standard, but Seira is just starting out a deity. So that's a special case that's a special case, since it's also a divine realm. Let me get back to you on that one.
<Afina> Forever.

Yuthirin

Quote from: Anastasia on June 27, 2017, 10:15:32 PM
Honestly, I was going to offer to do the formatting when you were done rather than going back and forth on it. It's easier that way, since a lot of it is nitpicky things. I meant to mention that later on, but it got lost in the shuffle of all the other comments.
Okay, that's fine with me!

QuoteHuh, I thought you were aware since the whole goldenfire quest and some other things. Okay then. Lemme run down the bare basics here. The party isn't fully cognizant of all the finer details of how goldenfire works, so some vagueness here is intentional for spoiler reasons.

- Goldenfire is used by Lathander and tied to the power of the sun. It's like searing fire or hellfire in that it is fire but bypasses resistance and immunity to fire. Think of it as great gushes of holy golden fire that burns the shit out of evil. It first showed up in B1 with Seira tapping into some of it, and has played a role in B3 with Lathander and the goldenfire spear quest.

- Goldenfire is difficult for most creatures to endure, even good ones. Exposures to it can have mounting, deleterious effects. It's primal stuff and not meant to be used lightly. Fortunately, most offensive applications of it aren't strong enough to provoke this. This is more if you go into the home of goldenfire and get exposed big time. Think of it like getting an X-ray versus nuclear fallout. One's no big deal, the other's a big oh shit.

- Goldenfire has ties to newborn life, freedom, purification of evil and Lathander.

- There are things like goldenfire spell (metamagic) and other ways to channel goldenfire, but it's generally rare and niche knowledge, in the same way hellfire is. For example, Moonlight knows about it, but can't use any of it herself.

- As noted in B3's goldenfire spear quest the first embers of goldenfire have the ability to defy destiny, as it represents newborn life unburdened by anything and full of life's infinite potential.

- Due to all of this, it's generally used destructively rather than to heal or restore things. I'd suggest on it walloping the shit out of evil more than healing good creatures.
Alright. Goldenfire is pretty much purely damaging.

So picture this: It's a giant burning metal tarrasque. It's pulsing with golden energy every 24 seconds, out to 80 feet away. It's probably among both sets of troops. It's just going to town. Anything tough enough to make it into melee with this thing probably deserves to be there.

I need something that won't also kill our troops, and it sounds to me like goldenfire isn't the way to go.

What's sunfire do? If it doesn't do what I want, I'll have to make something new. Or give it a new name and use the thing I already made up.

What I want: AoE damage that at the very least only affects evil creatures.
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Yuthirin

Additionally: If I do wind up having to use goldenfire, I'd probably rewrite Bask In My Radiance.

I have a few ideas of things to do with goldenfire if I can't use it to AoE.
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Anastasia

Quote from: Yuthirin on June 30, 2017, 09:27:48 PMAlright. Goldenfire is pretty much purely damaging.

Not quite 100% so, think of it more like radiation. It can have some nifty uses that doesn't harm people, but it's somewhat inherently unsafe to most creatures.

QuoteSo picture this: It's a giant burning metal tarrasque. It's pulsing with golden energy every 24 seconds, out to 80 feet away. It's probably among both sets of troops. It's just going to town. Anything tough enough to make it into melee with this thing probably deserves to be there.

I need something that won't also kill our troops, and it sounds to me like goldenfire isn't the way to go.

Probably, or with some provisos.

QuoteWhat's sunfire do? If it doesn't do what I want, I'll have to make something new. Or give it a new name and use the thing I already made up.

What I want: AoE damage that at the very least only affects evil creatures.

How about purify spell, consecrate spell or something similar to that? The concept of that sort of damage is already there. Slap it onto something fiery and call it day. Say it uses a tiny bit of goldenfire to accomplish the metamagic without it being total death to everything.
<Afina> Forever.

Yuthirin

Anastasia

A quick note on the spell Renbuu slapped together. Generally, a spell a deity slaps together on the spot thanks to supreme eldritch knowledge or similar SDAs isn't deeply balanced checked. As such, a researched and perfected version of that spell may have differences. A deity with those sort of abilities gets lots of leeway and has a lot of juice to power the spell and cram it into a useable form.

In other words, making up new spells on the spot isn't the best for the balance process, so bear with it.
<Afina> Forever.

Yuthirin

That moment when god-like beings get into a dick-measuring contest and they both wind up looking childish.

>_>

Anastasia

Yuth, what did you want on IRC?
<Afina> Forever.