News:

"With great power comes the opportunity to abuse that power."

Main Menu

Random DM nagging.

Started by Anastasia, August 06, 2011, 10:56:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anastasia

Besides, I enjoy thinking up reasons to leech funds from the party for things instead. <_<
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Corwin

It just felt like a boring task and I wanted to save our people the bother? But it's Afina's show, I support whatever she chooses to go with~
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Anastasia

HEY LISTEN!

Okay class, spring break is coming up soon! Be sure to have fun out there, but remember you do have an assignment over spring break. See the topic here: http://www.soulriders.net/forum/index.php/topic,100800.0.html See the first post there? I want you to make a version of that for your PC. It should be in the exact same format as in that post, with a color of your choice for the name. The font size is 14pt, in case that isn't clear. If you want extra credit, you can do the second post as well. I want these in and done no later than April 19th. Any questions?

Edit: Oh yes, submit them by forum PM or post them here. Whichever.
<Afina> Forever.

Merc

Do you accept late homeworks? =p
<Cidward> God willing, we'll all meet in Buttquest 2: The Quest for More Butts.

Anastasia

You will be PUNISHED for late homework.
<Afina> Forever.

Merc

Just saying in advance...Good chance I will get it in late. I have other things I'm more worried about honestly.

I've got the 20th off, so I could work on it for sure then.
<Cidward> God willing, we'll all meet in Buttquest 2: The Quest for More Butts.

Anastasia

Okay. In all seriousness that's fine, since I know you're work+job comboed.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Note: Until further notice, Drena, Kascha and Morniel are away on a diplomatic mission to Zaaman Rul's realm.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Balyss will be posted tomorrow, as will the Priest stuff.

Balyss, Aasimar Cleric 5/Silverstar 10/Divine Oracle 1//Favored Soul 16

I rebuilt Balyss from the ground up. The major change is that the Ardent Dilettante level is no longer needed. Stille does that much better than she can hope to, so I'd rather keep her focused instead. This gives her three domains from the get-go here, namely Moon, Protection and Oracle. This results in her butting heads with Vul'lath a bit, but that's okay. I'll need to houserule the Oracle 8 domain spell into something besides Discern Location. The two other divination spells at level 8 are both sor/wiz spells, those being Moment of Prescience and Greater Prying Eyes. I'll probably go with Greater Prying Eyes, but I won't commit to this until I check it when I'm not sleepy.

I feel Balyss has a clunky design. There's really no need for both Favored Soul and Cleric, it's excessive spell list overkill. She feels like a relic of early gestalt design, where I didn't realize how bad an idea this was for an NPC. I don't want to change her that severely so she's stuck with favored soul. I'll be spending some time tweaking her spell lists to try and make this worthwhile. I may also make another favored soul ACF depending on how far I want to take this. There's enough favored souls around that another option couldn't hurt, even if it is likely to be Selune themed.

Yes, she has a belt+6 as well. Her Dad gives them out as gifts to his children once they reach a certain level of capability. This is admittedly something of a kludge so take care of stat boosting for a long time, so whatever.

The fact that Stille has a name that ends with a vowel and Balyss has a name that ends with a consonant is reversal of typical gender naming schemes.  That's how this family rolls. The only other characters that defy this are Crystal(common girl's name anyway) and Drena(Close to genderless elemental). No reason to mention this, I think it's interesting and nothing more.

Anyway, Balyss will run the table 'till 20 in Divine Oracle and Favored Soul. I suppose it's possible she could dip something like Contemplative, since Divine Oracle 5 is essentially a dead level. I don't think it's needed, but I'll keep it in the back of my head in case it's desirable by them. That or find some kind of party animal spin on Evangelist.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

When I joked about recruiting the guy himself, I was half-serious. It's a shop, it offers people a chance to recruit heroes. Why not try to bring him over along with his entire operation alongside the jeweler?

As for Balyss's build... FS ACFs would be pretty neat. I could also share some of my own thoughts (since I have a favored soul and I made another for fun). Nothing is really new but goes from the handy cleric handbook. It mentions Champion Cleric as a bad idea, but then again it never considers the possibility of someone making a gestalt FS/cleric where both sides have turning. If you swap away the FS turning, you can give her a pretty sweet aura and several decent smites. Pool of Healing is something I grabbed myself, and it's pretty useful. True Daylight feels like something Balyss might like, too, considering her anti-undead record in B2 if I'm reading the ability right and it's spend a turn attempt to make daylight (the spell) into a direct sunlight (the burnings!) aura. And if it doesn't work like this, why doesn't it work like this?  >_>

You can't really go wrong with casters, either. Just select spammable spells on one side and unique support spells for whatever situation she needs to deal with on the other?

And since I mentioned spells, a brief Stille question. He has moon blade for some of his slots, but isn't that a domain-only spell for him? I've always thought those only went into domain slots (of equal or higher level) so if my understanding of that is wrong I'd appreciate being set right.

Getting back to new ACFs, this is as good a time as any to ask about one for the capstone (ie the FS20 ability). I figure precedent with Healer does exist?
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on April 09, 2012, 03:12:54 AM
When I joked about recruiting the guy himself, I was half-serious. It's a shop, it offers people a chance to recruit heroes. Why not try to bring him over along with his entire operation alongside the jeweler?

Worth a shot. Give it a try if you wanna.

QuoteAs for Balyss's build... FS ACFs would be pretty neat. I could also share some of my own thoughts (since I have a favored soul and I made another for fun). Nothing is really new but goes from the handy cleric handbook. It mentions Champion Cleric as a bad idea, but then again it never considers the possibility of someone making a gestalt FS/cleric where both sides have turning.

Well, the thing is that I'm not too interested in trading in favored soul turning. That's already a houseruled add-on to the class, and I'd rather barter with the bones of the class instead. If she was going to trade away turning, she'd trade away her cleric turning since it has less progression put into it and more options. Most of your comments following work well enough with adjustment anyway.

QuoteIf you swap away the FS turning, you can give her a pretty sweet aura and several decent smites. Pool of Healing is something I grabbed myself, and it's pretty useful. True Daylight feels like something Balyss might like, too, considering her anti-undead record in B2 if I'm reading the ability right and it's spend a turn attempt to make daylight (the spell) into a direct sunlight (the burnings!) aura. And if it doesn't work like this, why doesn't it work like this?  >_>

Champion Cleric isn't bad at all. She's not melee heavy so two smites aren't that appealing, but fear immunity is. No on True Daylight, it doesn't fit the flavor of a servant of Selune.

QuoteYou can't really go wrong with casters, either. Just select spammable spells on one side and unique support spells for whatever situation she needs to deal with on the other?

Casters aren't easy to screw up. That said, I'd rather take a bit of effort and make a useful melee or ranged fighter than a caster. There's much less upkeep to deal with, and in any case, I can get all the variety I need out of one set of fullcasting.

QuoteAnd since I mentioned spells, a brief Stille question. He has moon blade for some of his slots, but isn't that a domain-only spell for him? I've always thought those only went into domain slots (of equal or higher level) so if my understanding of that is wrong I'd appreciate being set right.

Initiate of Selune grants it as a normal cleric spell.

QuoteGetting back to new ACFs, this is as good a time as any to ask about one for the capstone (ie the FS20 ability). I figure precedent with Healer does exist?

Blah blah blah don't ACF capstones blah blah blah. That said this one is completely worthless to you, so make something reasonable up or just take a bonus feat or whatever.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

If I'm short or snappy to anyone about game stuff this week, I apologize in advance. I'm ready for that vacation. It's nothing you guys did.
<Afina> Forever.

Yuthirin

Right. Do not taunt Happy Fun Dune.
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Anastasia

More or less. 8 or so straight months of heavy DMing requires some downtime around now.
<Afina> Forever.