News:

"With great power comes the opportunity to abuse that power."

Main Menu

Random DM nagging.

Started by Anastasia, August 06, 2011, 10:56:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anastasia

Right, have some bardic feats, Neph. Comments? Mostly clearing out ideas at the moment.

Bard's Rally [Bardic]
Prerequisite: Perform 12 ranks, Bardic Music
Benefit: As an immediate action, you can expend two daily uses of your bardic music ability to grant all allies within 30ft temporary hit points equal to your ranks in Perform. These temporary hit points lasts for 1 hour.

Elegy of Fatal Blows [Bardic]
Prerequisite: Perform 4 ranks, Bardic Music
Benefit: As a standard action, you can expend one daily use of your bardic music ability to grant all allies that can hear you a bonus on the roll to confirm a critical threat equal to your Charisma modifier as well as an additional 2d6 points of damage on a successful critical hit. This damage increases to 4d6 if your weapon deals triple damage on a critical hit and 6d6 if it deals quadruple damage. This bonus lasts for as long as you perform and 5 rounds after.

Lullaby [Bardic]
Prerequisite: Perform 15 ranks, Bardic Music
Benefit: As a standard action, you can expend one daily use of your bardic music ability to put all enemies that hear you perform within 30ft to sleep. A Will save (DC 10 + 1/2 your hit dice + your Charisma modifier) negates the sleep. Creatures put to sleep by this sleep for 1d4 rounds. This is a mind-affecting ability.

Note of the Clear Mind [Bardic]
Prerequisites: Perform 9 ranks, Bardic Music
Benefit: As a standard action, you can expend one daily use of your bardic music ability to free all allies within 30ft from enchantment spells and spell-like abilities. Treat this as dispel magic with a dispel check equal to your bard level. This check can exceed dispel magic's limit of +10.

Stagnation Waltz [Bardic]
Prerequisite: Perform 8 ranks, Bardic Music
Benefit: As a standard action, you can expend one daily use of your bardic music ability to halve the movement speed of all enemies within 30ft. A Will save (DC 10 + 1/2 your hit dice + your Charisma modifier) negates. This lasts for one minute.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Nephrite

To go in order:

Bard's Rally is really strong, especially as an immediate action. I like it a lot, especially since temporary HP is usually really good to have.

Elegy of Fatal Blows feels... mm, I was going to initially say a little weak, but more or less ensuring you're going to get a crit is really strong. The extra damage helps some too.

Lullaby is great crowd control, but I'd imagine that there's a spell that does this as well?

Note of the Clear Mind is great if you run into a scenario where everyone gets zonked. At our level anything that can punch through mind blank is probably beyond this, though.

I'm not sure Stagnation Waltz would ever have much of a use -- 30 ft on that one really isn't very much. I suppose as a low-rank feat though it isn't too bad? I just don't see it ever getting any real use.

Yuthirin

Quote from: Anastasia on April 29, 2017, 01:30:57 AMFirst of all, I can't recall a power with that many augmentation options offhand. My instinct is that you overdid that part of it. Correct me if I'm wrong and you can produce a handful of powers that have four or more different augmentation options.
I actually copied Dominate word for word, then edited the table to look like I wanted it to.
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Yuthirin

Note that this is a general feat list that can be applied to any number of familiars in this situation. I've taken pains to avoid any feat that could add or requires access to psionics or power points.

• Aligned Attack
  • Ghost Attack
  • Psionic Shot
  • Greater Psionic Shot
  • Fell Shot
  • Return Shot
  • Psionic Weapon
  • Greater Psionic Weapon
  • Improved Initiative
  • Toughness
  • Great Fortitude
  • Iron Will
  • Lightning Reflexes
  • Speed of Thought
  • Psionic Charge
  • Blind-Fight
  • Power Attack
  • Cleave
  • Great Cleave
  • Combat Expertise
  • Combat Reflexes
  • Deft Hands
  • Diehard
  • Diligent
  • Dodge
  • Endurance
  • Deceitful
  • Athletic
  • Armor Proficiency
  • Animal Affinity
  • Alertness
  • Agile
  • Acrobatic
  • Inquisitor
  • Improved Unarmed Strike
  • Investigator
  • Magical Aptitude
  • Mobility
  • Negotiator
  • Nimble Fingers
  • Persuasive
  • Self-Sufficient
  • Stealthy

Just psionic feats listed, quick and dirty. Didn't want to get too deep on it if you wanted to constrain it to psionic feats. We can probably expand this  though.
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Anastasia

Yes, more feat options there are good.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Nephrite on April 29, 2017, 04:53:03 PM
To go in order:

Bard's Rally is really strong, especially as an immediate action. I like it a lot, especially since temporary HP is usually really good to have.

Yeah. It's good but expensive. It's a nice option but will burn through bardic music fast. Less of a concern at this level, more of an issue for lower level characters.

QuoteElegy of Fatal Blows feels... mm, I was going to initially say a little weak, but more or less ensuring you're going to get a crit is really strong. The extra damage helps some too.

I'd say it's passable and still inferior to inspire courage, short of stacking them. Okay and might have some use in the right situation, but meh otherwise.

QuoteLullaby is great crowd control, but I'd imagine that there's a spell that does this as well?

Pretty much.

QuoteNote of the Clear Mind is great if you run into a scenario where everyone gets zonked. At our level anything that can punch through mind blank is probably beyond this, though.

It may well be beyond a simple dispel magic. That's the main drawback to it - at epic levels, you often need greater dispel magic or stronger tricks to get rid of effects.

QuoteI'm not sure Stagnation Waltz would ever have much of a use -- 30 ft on that one really isn't very much. I suppose as a low-rank feat though it isn't too bad? I just don't see it ever getting any real use.

It's niche. I could see it getting use in a setup where the party's doing a lot of spring attacking and has high movement to begin with, maybe?
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Update 4.

1. Cor's light stuff.
2. Newspaper.
3. More bardic musics through feats.
4. Epic bardic magic item.
5. THAT FOG SPELL.
6. Druid class.
7. Yuth psionics. - In progress x2.
8. Post Jaela's elder brother.
9. Yuth familiar feat stuf, waiting on him x2 for more feats.

Newspaper next, formatting is giving me some problems, I may change that on the back end.

Neph, for a bard magic item, what precisely are you looking for?
<Afina> Forever.

Nephrite

It's hard to point to one specific thing... mm. A ring is a good place to start, unless you wanted it to be an actual piece or armor or something.

The problem to me in creating some super good item for Moore is that everything that I'd want to enhance is already done in feats: Can't have music last longer, there's Lingering Song. Can't just use two bardic musics at once, that's underneath some PrCs. Increasing the radius isn't really very "fun" as an epic item in my opinion.

Maybe something that allows a user to use the Words of Creation x/day, and if you already can do so then it lets you empower the music more somehow?

I guess the question is more what's a limitation of an epic magical item, really... Maybe it can increase the duration of some songs by 2 or something, so it isn't just a replication of the feat itself.

I'm open to ideas.

Anastasia

The problem with epic bard items is that the epic feats do a really good job at covering those bases. I'll fiddle, see what comes out.
<Afina> Forever.

Nephrite

That has pretty much been my problem with coming up with custom items for myself, indeed.

Anastasia

Okay, this is workable, Yuth. In the future though, I'd rather you just make a new post than editing your old ones. I usually miss edits like that. Thoughts?

---

Alternate Class Feature: Psicrystal Empowerment

You gain the potential for a psicrystal and pour it into your familiar.

Class: Psion.

Level: 1st.

Special Requirement: You must have a familiar take this alternate class feature.

Replaces: If you select this alternate class feature, you do not gain a bonus feat at 1st level.

Benefit: Your familiar gains a bonus feat from the list below. At 5th level and every 5 levels thereafter, your familiar gains another bonus feat from the list below. Additionally, your familiar gains the psionic subtype and a power point reserve of one point, which allows them to take psionic feats.

If you take this alternate class feature, you can never have a psicrystal. If you already have one, it is destroyed when you select this alternate class feature.

Psicrystal Empowerment Bonus Feat List

Acrobatic, Agile, Alertness, Athletic, Blind-Fight, Cleave, Combat Expertise, Deft Hands, Diehard, Dodge, Endurance, Great Cleave, Great Fortitude, Improved Initiative, Iron Will, Lightning Reflexes, Magical Aptitude, Mobility, Power Attack, Self-Sufficient, Stealthy. Additionally, any psionic feat may be chosen, so long as the familiar meets the prerequisites.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Update 5.

1. Cor's light stuff.
2. Newspaper.
3. More bardic musics through feats.
4. Epic bardic magic item.
5. THAT FOG SPELL.
6. Druid class.
7. Yuth psionics. - In progress x2.
8. Post Jaela's elder brother.
9. Yuth familiar feat stuf, waiting on him x2 for more feats.

Newspaper next, formatting is giving me some problems, I may change that on the back end. Keeping this here as a reminder.
<Afina> Forever.

Yuthirin

Quote from: Anastasia on May 01, 2017, 10:10:31 AM
Okay, this is workable, Yuth. In the future though, I'd rather you just make a new post than editing your old ones. I usually miss edits like that. Thoughts?

---

Special Requirement: You must have a familiar take this alternate class feature.

Replaces: If you select this alternate class feature, you do not gain a bonus feat at 1st level.

Benefit: Your familiar gains a bonus feat from the list below. At 5th level and every 5 levels thereafter, your familiar gains another bonus feat from the list below. Additionally, your familiar gains the psionic subtype and a power point reserve of one point, which allows them to take psionic feats.

If you take this alternate class feature, you can never have a psicrystal. If you already have one, it is destroyed when you select this alternate class feature.

Acrobatic, Agile, Alertness, Athletic, Blind-Fight, Cleave, Combat Expertise, Deft Hands, Diehard, Dodge, Endurance, Great Cleave, Great Fortitude, Improved Initiative, Iron Will, Lightning Reflexes, Magical Aptitude, Mobility, Power Attack, Self-Sufficient, Stealthy. Additionally, any psionic feat may be chosen, so long as the familiar meets the prerequisites.
Ohhhh it eats the first level feat! Interesting. I'm assuming I can train away the existing psicrystal-related feats? A thought I just had: would Psicrystal Containment still function as normal, or is it broken by the ACF?

Anastasia

Quote from: Yuthirin on May 01, 2017, 02:37:57 PM

---

Ohhhh it eats the first level feat! Interesting. I'm assuming I can train away the existing psicrystal-related feats? A thought I just had: would Psicrystal Containment still function as normal, or is it broken by the ACF?

Yeah. Instead of taking Psicrystal Affinity to get one, you take that instead (and it eats up a feat that could go to it) and use it to power up your familiar. It's feat-neural compared to getting one.

Yeah, it would bork that, since no psicrystal means nothing to focus. Could possibly be replicated with Calleigh as your familiar, maybe.
<Afina> Forever.

Yuthirin

Quote from: Anastasia on May 01, 2017, 04:39:41 PM
Quote from: Yuthirin on May 01, 2017, 02:37:57 PM

---

Yeah. Instead of taking Psicrystal Affinity to get one, you take that instead (and it eats up a feat that could go to it) and use it to power up your familiar. It's feat-neural compared to getting one.

Yeah, it would bork that, since no psicrystal means nothing to focus. Could possibly be replicated with Calleigh as your familiar, maybe.
We can work it out later, I didn't use it much anyway. Later on, twinned empowered maximized powers can still be a thing.

Looking through it, I could use a feat rebuild anyhow.