News:

No longer content with mere attendance, the middle-class suburban poseurs have begun to put their hands in the air and wave them like they just don't care

Main Menu

Deadlands: Saviors of the Wastes

Started by Yuthirin, November 19, 2011, 01:44:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yuthirin

So I'm thinking about running a Deadlands game.

For those of you who do not know, Deadlands is based on D&D 3.0, adapted to America's Wild West. It would be set in the 1860's to the 1880's, as industry is slowly crawling its way westward and the railroads are coming into power.

This would be my first game run here, and I was wondering if anyone would be interested. If you are, I ask that you be patient, as this will take me a bit of time to formulate and whatnot.

I'm looking for a game with 2-4 players. We would likely play weeknights around 8 or 9 pm US Central time, two or three times per week. It would start in early January.
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Iron Dragoon

This is not the greatest post in the world, no... this is just a tribute.

Dracos

In interest of improving your results:

1)Voice around how many you are hoping/willing to DM for.
2)Voice your range of starting times.

These are the two most common starter problems for gathering players. 

Not sure if interested.  Leaving door open for others to grab first.
Well, Goodbye.

Zephyrus

I'm indicating interest. It will largely depend on times and player pool, yes.

Yuthirin

In 1868, California was the land of dreams and wild riches. Gold was discovered there in 1849, and men and women came from across the country on the hope for wealth...and little else. Many didn't survive the trip, while others gave up and settled where they stopped. Those lucky enough not to be led through high mountains or deserts joined nearby frontier settlements and led a fair life off of the land they could find.

It was to everyone's surprise when the Great Quake of '68 slammed into the California coast, sinking the coastal third of the state and killing thousands. When all was said and done, the Californian coast had become a massive maze of rocky spires and twisting ocean tunnels. Those brave enough to dare these spires came to call it the Maze, and what they found there turned the nation on its ear.

Inside the walls of what had once been California's underground was found an ore similar to iron, but it burned a hundred times as hot, and screamed like the hounds of hell itself. The white vapor it gave off while burning earned it the name "ghost rock," and it stuck like glue. Ghost rock was a game changer; a super-efficient fuel that could also be turned into a metal as strong as steel and half as heavy. Inventors and investors came out of the woodwork to find ways to use this new mineral to its fullest potential. President Grant of the United States of America offered a 10-year full government contract for the transport of ghost rock to the first rail line that stretched from Washington, DC to the Maze in California. A day later, President Davis of the Confederate States of America offered the same to their own capital. In two days, the Great Rail Wars had begun.

The Great Rail Wars are a set of civil wars all on their own; each faction will gleefully slaughter the other in the spirit of profit. In all, there are ten rail lines, though not all are considered for candidacy for the title of Transcontinental Railroad. Serious competitors include the Bayou Vermillion, the Denver Pacific, the Black River, and the Union Blue. The freight cars on these lines are often studded with heavy chain guns powered by ghost rock. They can and often do fire upon each other, in hopes of destroying one another. Each railroad company also has their own gang, a group of roughs and toughs that exist solely to serve as rail guards and muscle.

The year is now 1877, and the American Civil War has come to a bloody, grinding halt. British soldiers hold Detroit, and the French-Mexican armies are massing at the border of Mexico, sure to overrun it if given even half a chance.  The Transcontinental Railroad is nearing completion, though no single rail line has shown to be responsible. The Great Rail Barons of the West are calling to you, looking for a few good men (or women) to join up and help them on their Westward Quest. Are you in or are you out?
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Iron Dragoon

Don't suppose you have an editable character sheet or an Excel sheet or something for generation, do ya?

Yuthirin

Iron Dragoon

Yuth, I whipped up an excel sheet. Check it out and let me know if I missed anything (since you're the only other person that actually knows d20 Deadlands).

Yuthirin

Zeph, looks like it's you and Iddy. Still in?

Zephyrus

I'm in, depending on times/dates, etc., etc.

I've been trying to get ahold of you on IRC! =p

Yuthirin