Interest check: The Fast and the Furious, Calimshan edition.

Started by Anastasia, December 27, 2011, 03:27:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anastasia

I'm running a quick interest check on a play by post game with the following premise:

> I remember when my cat was like that, ages ago. It's endearing.
<Kiyohime> Dune
<Kiyohime> Run a PbP 2e game set in Calimshan, based on flying carpet duels
<Kiyohime> Please? ;_;
> Seriously?
<Kiyohime> It would be so rad! I could play a a guy who deals in stolen carpets from Tethyr, known for their high-quality weaving.
<Kiyohime> Basically, a rug smuggler.
> Is this the setup for a punchline?
<Kiyohime> No, I just think it would be awesome :(
<Kiyohime> It's D&D meets Aladdin meets Fast and the Furious!
> Well, I'm not that familiar with Calimshan. That said, let me bone up on it and get back to you in a few days.
<Kiyohime> Carpets could be tricked out with turbo runes!

Anyone interested? I'm sort of tempted, it could be fun.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Carthrat

I'm so in this.

We should totally play the managers of a carpet-dueling/racing team. Any dirty trick is fine if it means winning the annual championship! Steal the best carpets from the next country! Bribe archers in the city guard! Pull the threads on our opponent's rugs! Headhunt better, more talented racers!

Smoke vast quantities of illegal drugs, and get in debt to criminal lords! Sneak into the caliphate harem! There are no limits
[19:14] <Annerose> Aww, mouth not outpacing brain after all?
[19:14] <Candide> My brain caught up

Carthrat

[23:28] <@Ebiris> Fast and furious flying carpet duels... via play by post.
[23:28] <@Ebiris> I think that's the punchline right there.

unbeliever.

Dracos

*pulls out of focusing on his game for a sec and sees this*

Rat, I have no idea how this would be played.

But it is an awesome concept.  Flying carpet duels over Calimshan.  Carpet men coming to get you for your unpaid bets to the Rajim!  Magic wand duels at 300 feet!

I want my carpet tricked out with dragon design.  Everyone knows those carpets get the best max speed for flyby bisecting.
Well, Goodbye.

Jon

That does sound like an amazing game concept, but I gotta agree it won't work well with PbP. (Also, D&D 2e? I'd think you'd want something like FATE for this. Or at least any system that focuses on the N part of the GNS trinity.)

Carthrat

Thanks for telling me what I want!

Wait, I still want 2e. Specifically because

-can't really do much charop in 2e without introduction of splat material, sick of charop
-suits Dune's style of GMing
-is a gonzo system where you pretty much need to houserule substantially to get anything done
-this is a game where there is no pre-existing system that will fit it without substantial houseruling
-nostalgia

But you're free to run it in Fate!

(that said, pbp is probably insurmountable. I dunno. Maybe run the actual RACES/DUELS/GAMES OF FANTASY CHICKEN in irc and everything else pbp).

Jon

I don't want to pick a fight over this, but one of the things you said did make me wonder a bit.

Quote from: Carthrat on December 29, 2011, 01:53:40 AM
-this is a game where there is no pre-existing system that will fit it without substantial houseruling

Why do you think that?

Carthrat

As far as I know, there are no systems presently designed to cater to the flying-carpet-racer-gladiator market. To make it work, houseruling would be required.

Perhaps it could be done with some generic system that treats all conflicts the exact same way with very little in the way of exception handling, or some monster of system that handles basically everything on earth. But even these require some tuning to get the right result for a weird setting.