News:

I have a dream that one day, men will be punched in the face not for the color of their skin, but for the awful content of their character.

Main Menu

Pathfinder Dungeon Crawl: The Crawlening

Started by Brian, February 05, 2012, 03:18:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian

I'm just pulling the old letter I wrote up for my RL playerbase (who didn't make it).  I have gotten RPtools to work, and am ready to go forth.  Read everything, and PM responses only, please; I'm hoping for weekends/evenings, since that'll work best for me.

Quote from: A letter to those poor, poor fools...
Ho--okay.

I've been wanting to run (or play) in a game for a while, and I've decided that I want to relaunch my most successful game in recent history.  By which I mean a game where everyone had a good time, and there was a minimum of digression and BSing around.  We all had a good time until some drama from improperly set expectations set in.

To prevent that this time around, I'll explain everything more clearly up front, so no one feels let down about how things actually work out.

I'm planning on running a game. I've discussed this with some (most) of you before, but here's the official invite/proposal.

This game is going to be a dungeon crawl.  Roleplaying opportunities are going to be kind of minimal, as they're limited to the stuff you can do in the dungeon.  There is a story here, and the story is this:

The human Kingdom (remember: Kingdom = good, Empire = teh evuls) has ruled most of the land beneath the sun as long as they can remember. Their good allies and friends the dwarves, gnomes, elves, etc., all work together in a generally harmonious band, and all is well.  Except ... deep beneath the earth dwells the most horrific, evil empire known to the races above -- the Underdark!

Your mission, as you have already chosen to accept it, is to venture into deep, dangerous portions of the earth, seeking entrances to the Underdark -- and destroying them.  The Kingdom takes care of your every need on the surface -- they want you at your best when you go down there!  You're not a member of the army -- you're a mercenary, or else doing this because you feel it's right.  One way or another, those monsters must be stopped!

Mechanically, this means:

Get On The Railroad:  Sessions will start at the entrance to the dungeon.  Kingdom merchants and suppliers will accept loots and exchange them for monies or equipment for you, and should you need it, you can hire NPCs to help you out.

Life Is Cheap: You can literally play a different character every session if you want to, because the premise is your characters are roles in a party roster, much like in the original bard's tale. Conversely, because this _is_ a straight-up dungeon crawl, there will be no punch-pulling, and if you are careless, characters will die (and it'll be a while before anyone can afford a res -- so _be careful_).

The Mission Goes On: Because characters can be swapped out in this scenario rather easily, you (player) get a running total of EXP that I will track that you can apply to your current character to make sure everyone's at the curve.  This shouldn't be a huge issue, but the game isn't about penalizing you _beyond_ a reroll.  That'd just be mean. OTOH, you can also look at it as having alts, just like in WoW.  "I don't want to tank tonight; I'm going to play my DPS."  "Cool; I've wanted to try tanking for a while!"

Wait, You Said No Roleplaying: Okay, so, there _will_ be minor roleplaying opportunities.  You do get to choose where and how you accomplish your missions, and you'll often get choices on dungeons to go to (having a good balance of KNO: skills is good to figure out what kinds of lewts you'll get).  Other than that, it's generally about having a good time, rolling some dice, and working together to form a team that's fun and awesome.

And now, some of the houserules (beyond the Bard's Tale-esque mercenary hiring) and conveniences:  To speed up gameplay and avoid trivialities, you are given equipment for your mission.

The Goods: You get a magic bag that you can stuff any loot into, and get that loot converted straight to gold at the dungeon entrance (where your merchants are), so you don't need to track it or haul it around the dungeon.

The Bad: Whenever the Kingdom knows there's an entrance to the Underdark in an area, they give you an explosive magic rune-box.  If the carrier of that box dies, it blows up.  (Don't die.)

Hirelings: You can hire NPCs to do the stuff no one in the party wants to bother with, though hirelings generally only ever do out-of-combat stuff (healing, knowledge/craft rolls, trap detection).  Hirelings do take from the party income of XP and GP, as well as having an up-front hire-cost.  They'll usually only stick around for one dungeon, anyway.

Oh, shoot, left out the part where I frame the entire game as one of those incredibly ancient 3.5' floppy disk games.

Eh--  Anyway, if you want to join this game:
have/be able to run RPtools -- http://rptools.net/
be able to get into IRC
send me a request via PM (I've unintentionally garnered a lot of interest in this game, somehow...)
be prepared to have fun, and not take it too seriously

Chargen is going to be starting as level 1 characters.  Pathfinder core book or ask me.  Variants from the advanced players handbook are fine.  Roll 5d6, drop the lowest two, seven times, drop the lowest; if your total bonus is not +5 or better, you may mulligan.  That will be handled in IRC.  Equipment from the core book or ask me.
I handle other fanfic authors Nanoha-style.  Grit those teeth!  C&C incoming!
Prepare to be befriended!

~exploding tag~

Merc

>remember: Kingdom = good, Empire = teh evuls
>deep beneath the earth dwells the most horrific, evil empire known to the races above -- the Underdark!
>The Empire takes care of your every need on the surface -- they want you at your best when you go down there!

Deja vu! That empire really, really does like getting its challenge!
<Cidward> God willing, we'll all meet in Buttquest 2: The Quest for More Butts.

Brian

Yes they do.  They campaign for balance and fairness in all things.  They're bastards in the dungeons, but in the meta-view, enjoy fighting reasonably equipped foes.

~exploding tag~

Merc

It probably did get boring after the first few times they continually murdered their foes in the first round.

Dracos

I'd say what time, but I can't imagine a time where you could play and I couldn't.

And I seem to have a level 1 pathfinder character already built, probably already suited.  Something that was waiting to die tripping over a rock. :P
Well, Goodbye.

Brian

I'm kind of sad that as much as I was pressured to run a game, any game, there's no interest in playing it.

So, yeah.  Killed by drama/general lack of interest.

~exploding tag~

Merc

:/

How many players were you hoping for, out of curiosity? I had thought you'd had three definitely lined up (Zeph, Drac, & some tvtropes guy), possibly more since you asked for interest pokes by PM (Yuth expressed interest once in channel).

Sorry the response on game turned out so depressing either way. I honestly figured something was happening behind the scenes with this.

I'd mentioned in channel that I was interested myself, though as I'd mentioned I was also concerned with time due to Balmuria, and I admittedly also didn't want to take a slot from anybody who'd have both more time and interest. If nobody else really has expressed interest, I'd chime in for a weekends only game... assuming you aren't fully settled on killing this at this point, of course.

Brian

No, Zeph refuses to play with Drac.  So I had two.  I could have coerced Hal, but I got the impression he wasn't really that interested.

And LOTS of people expressed interest in the planning stage, and then dropped me abruptly.  Powerfully embittering.

Edit: I was aiming for 4-5 players, the general party balance that a dungeon crawl assumes.  I'm also unclear on why you're offering _now_, and....  Seriously, timeslot would have been flexible and--

Fff...  Gghrr....

nothing constructive to say

~exploding tag~