News:

"I sense a soul in search of answers.  I shalt eat him."

Main Menu

The 9 to 5 grind

Started by Anastasia, February 14, 2012, 07:12:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anastasia

Yep, everyone has to make a living. For most people, you learn to become a baker, a blacksmith, a candle maker or something boring like that. But by some twist of fate, you aren't one of them. Nope, you didn't listen to Mom and you decided to become an adventurer! See, turns out adventuring is a job in your home kingdom. You wake up, eat breakfast, get dressed and get to work at nine sharp. Your day involves exploring, killing, looting and various other acts of dungeon exploration. So what if you might die? The pay's good! Beats being a tailor, anyway.

---

I'm looking for a light-hearted, fun dungeon exploring game. Nothing serious, it's just about having a job and having fun with it. You go in, explore ye olde dungeon, and hopefully get out with da loot. If you die? Oh well, roll up another character real quick and join back in. Can't make it for a session? Had to run back home for something or called in sick that day. Whatever. Dungeon exploring is a job for your characters. Really, I'm aiming for an irrelevant, lightly mocking tone and a casual game. A game that people can show up for week by week and drop it at will, very spur of the moment show up and have fun.

Game summary

- Light hearted fun. Nothing serious, no emo, a sort of 'it's a job' approach. Player should be enjoying themselves, dammit, and trying to do well. If they fail? No big. Roll up another PC and rejoin.

- Anyone can play at any week as long as you have a character rolled up, to the maximum PCs at a time. (Probably six, will evaluate if it looks like I may hit this cap or exceed it) If you die? Take 20 minutes and !rollchar up someone new and rejoin. No muss, no fuss. If you can't make a week, your character just had to run back up, no big. IF you want a break, your guy goes on vacation. Whatever. Really, there's no obligation except to show up and throw some dice.

- The game used will be 3.5 D&D. I'll probably use the Balmuria house rules or at least the salient ones. Honestly, most of the crap in that topic won't matter. The level of the PCs will be 1. I may raise this to 2 or 3 later, but I want to keep this fast moving and easy to run for everyone. Character generation will be with Hatbot and !rollchar. 2 sets, choose which you prefer and get to work. It may behoove you to have a few backup characters already prepared ahead of time. That's fine. Level one characters are easy to stat out.

- Things will be dangerous by the nature of 1st level characters. I'm not going to set out to be a killer DM, but it's easy to die when you have single digit HP. Fair warning. Death is de-emphasized in this game for just that reason.

- Gameday TBD. It'll probably be a weekday night, most likely later in the evening. The exact times are still to be announced. I'm lingering towards Tuesday nights, but this isn't set in stone. The starting time could range from 7 PM EST to any point later on.

This is all tentative. If you have interest, post here.

EDIT: This has come up a few times so I'll say it here. Yes this is similar to Brian's game, I had some of these ideas but other aspects of his game did influence me. I talked about it with him before game posting, it's cool.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Zephyrus

Anastasia

Okay, that's one. Let's see if we can get a few more. I'd like a core of 2-3 solid people to work with here and whomever else who can rotate in an out as they please/want to play.
<Afina> Forever.

CyMage

Adding my name to this as a tentative.   I'll see how my new schedule goes I guess.
He's history...play with fire and you get burned."-Magus

And then the mage drew his two handed sword.  "Shit! We're screwed!"

Iron Dragoon

This is not the greatest post in the world, no... this is just a tribute.

Anastasia

Coooool, this is a good start. Two interested parties and one tentative. Cy, when will you know about your schedule?

I'm going to leave this open several days to give any other interested parties a chance to speak up. Feel free to, even if you may just want to pop in for a session or two at some point.
<Afina> Forever.

CyMage

I should get something this week hopefully.   Though the busy shifts are lunch shifts and if I get in on those, I should be fine for evening play.
He's history...play with fire and you get burned."-Magus

And then the mage drew his two handed sword.  "Shit! We're screwed!"

Anastasia

Quote from: CyMage on February 16, 2012, 02:25:01 AM
I should get something this week hopefully.   Though the busy shifts are lunch shifts and if I get in on those, I should be fine for evening play.

Sure thing. Just post when you know so that we're clear on it. Thanks.
<Afina> Forever.

Merc

I'm interested, though purely on part-timer status.

Depends on time a bit too, I probably can't even offer that if it's Tues or Thurs. If one of those days gets picked, I'd probably just pop in if class gets cancelled.
<Cidward> God willing, we'll all meet in Buttquest 2: The Quest for More Butts.

Anastasia

Glad to have you on board, Mercury.
<Afina> Forever.

Merc

You don't have me yet! *eyes that 'lingering towards Tuesday night' bit* >_>
<Cidward> God willing, we'll all meet in Buttquest 2: The Quest for More Butts.

Anastasia

Okay, overly enthusiastic DM. Still, glad that you're showing interest.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

I'm going to leave this open until Monday evening or Tuesday morning.

If you're interested at all, by all means speak up. Even if it's just to play every once in awhile.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Okay, more information will be coming tonight.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Okay. Getting a board up is going to take longer than anticipated, due to Drac being RL busy. In the meantime, what days are good for you guys? I'm leaning for Wednesdays starting at 7 PM EST; this can be adjusted. The exact session length is also somewhat in the air, how long do you guys want to run?
<Afina> Forever.