News:

"I stand humbled by your vast My Little Pony knowledge."

Main Menu

Online Gaming (AND YOU)

Started by Dracos, March 10, 2012, 07:15:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dracos

So, not entirely due to the efforts of a few very active folks, many of the people who usually stir around the role playing side of the equation have been drawn into active online gaming.  It's happening to the degree of 'almost every god damn night'.  This is a good thing.  We haven't had such a lively video gaming community since perhaps the Unreal Tournament heyday, where there were regular massive sessions for folks to take part in.  Rocking.

Much of this is going on with steam, so for a good starter, you might want to join the Soulriders Steam Group: http://www.soulriders.net/forum/index.php/topic,101910.0.html.  You don't necessarily need steam...ah, who am I kidding: If you're not on steam, or in #SR regularly, you are not gonna see this going on.  While this might reveal other opportunities going on, almost all of the present ones are being organized through there.

So, what am I gonna do here?  I'm gonna let folks know some of the games people are going through at the moment, thoughts thereon, and who is playing them.  People, feel free to acknowledge other good gaming points as the idea is to hopefully help center folks around gaming experiences we can join in on, so we're not just drifting by :)  I'm not gonna have everyone listed at first, because frankly, my memory isn't that good.  But if you're interested, post here or shout out on #SR.

What do you need to be listed as up for gaming?  Have it installed so folks can tap you and go 'hey, let's game'.  Ideal offerings can be played in 1-2 hour sets, either versus or co-op.  Co-op seems to get more steam generally.

What does a game need to be listed here?  3 or more folks that own it.  Enough to provide potential for gaming hangout.

Hopefully enough to get us started.

Left 4 Dead
Details: Currently the big player, generally seeing a lot of evening play somewhere between 1-4 times a week.  It's great for a 1-2 hour drop in, kick ass, call it a night.  It continues to deliver for a good hangout.
Who's Up For Gamin':
Dracos
Brian
Halbarad
Kaldrack
Yuthirin
Pax Empyrean (?)

Dead Island
Details: This is a pretty fun zombie killing action/RPG.  It's got a fantastic dynamic difficulty setup, but it still is way better with folks close to the same level.  It seems to fall apart at 4 players, and isn't the most stable with 3, but is awesome with 2 players.
Up for Gaming:
Dracos
Brian
Hal
Kaldrack

Borderlands
Details: While I don't think anyone is currently going through it, it's a solid 4 player co-op shoot 'em up.  Just remember Sirens are op in it.  Told it is sometimes hard to get that online connection set up.
Up for Gaming:
Dracos
Hal(?)

Borderlands 2
Dracos
Rezantis

Saint's Row 3
Up for gaming:
Dracos (potentially)
Hal
Brian

Alien Swarm
I know some folks were playing it.   It's got 4 player co-op action in isometric team based alien crushing combat.  Yarr.
Up For gaming:
None at the moment.

Magica
Tabyk?

Monoco
Brian
Dracos
Rezantis
Kaldrack?

Board Game Arena
Merc
Well, Goodbye.

Merc

Heh, the only games I can play with other people are Terraria and any of the various free-to-play MMOs.

Nice thread though, Drac. =)
<Cidward> God willing, we'll all meet in Buttquest 2: The Quest for More Butts.

Dracos

Terraria is more than one player.

Who do you play it with?

Get the Terraria movement goin' :P

*doesn't own it*
Well, Goodbye.

Merc

I don't play it with anybody! =p

I'm just saying I -could- play that with others, as that's pretty much the only game I've got with multiplayer. I can't host a server for Terraria either, though I -think- I can probably join servers. Would be fun to see an SR server, though it's admittedly a lot more limited in what you can do in that game compared to minecraft.

I technically have other multiplayer games, but those are games I got out of bundles and I haven't really played 'em.

Iron Dragoon

I'm down for Payday: The Heist if anyone else has it.
This is not the greatest post in the world, no... this is just a tribute.

tabyk

You should also add Magicka to that list, Dracos.  *nod nod*
"ZenCrafters!  Total enlightenment... in about an hour."

Merc

I'd say add Dungeon Defenders, but I don't see it on the game list of -anyone- in the SR group! Alas! >_>

thepanda

Merc

Dracos

Heh, I keep thinking it'd be  a good thing to play, but I'm also buried under so much gaming I could game for a year without acquiring anything new or repeating.

And I always repeat.
Well, Goodbye.

Merc

Board Game Arena <-- I'd like to add this to list of games to poke people for playing.

I'm always up for a game, my username there is kayeich if someone wants to join and add me to a friend's list.

Currently playing mostly Gear & Piston, though I'm familiar with following games as well so far: Hawaii, Takenoko, Jaipur, Can't Stop, Quoridor.

Dracos

Yeah, Don't update this enough but added :)
Well, Goodbye.

Rezantis

Add me to the Borderlands 2 and Monaco buckets. :P
Hangin' out backstage, waiting for the show.