News:

Populated by the admins and moderators of your other favorite sites!

Main Menu

Evening game: Planar Adventures.

Started by Anastasia, May 30, 2012, 12:22:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anastasia

System: D&D 3.5 with a few houserules.
Number of players: 3-6
Power level: Medium, limited gestalt with starting at level 6.
Times: Once a week on a day to be determined, with game time sometime in the evening to be determined.

This is a sequel in spirit to a previous game of mine, A Planar Jaunt. If you're familiar with this, you can skip down to the next paragraph. If you aren't, read on. I'm looking to run a game that spans the planes of the Multiverse, from the Inner Planes of the Elements, to the vast empty places of of life and death energies, to the very heavens and hells of the afterlife. The themes of the game will be exploration, wonder and excitement as you transverse lands most mortals can only dream about. The cosmology in play is the one presented in the 3.0 Manual of the Planes, with minor exceptions as noted here. The quasi and para-elemental planes exist, as they did in 2nd edition. Otherwise, the only change is that there's no Sigil or anything like that. I find the attitude and style of Planescape to be at nines with the sort of game I want to run.

Style

I want adventurers who are not too familiar with the planes, ones who can play out the mystery of new realms and fantastic experiences. I want this to be interesting, exploratory and overall reflecting the interest of beings exploring planes of reality likely removed from their own. You don't need to play a 16 year old that's wet behind the ears, but keep this in mind.

Rules

- Character generation will be the best of two sets from Hatbot in #elysium. Make sure I'm in there to witness the roles. Until I make a thread in the game forum to record character rolls and give the go ahead, refrain from doing this.
- We will be using a limited version of the gestalt rules, as seen here. You are allowed two base classes and one prestige class. This allows for builds without getting too complicated or dippy. Base attack bonus and saves will be calculated by choosing the progression from one side and staying with it. Ergo, there isn't as much save inflation and you can't manipulate full BAB at all times.
- Keep the cheese out and try not to powergame too much. Keep things on the low-medium end of the optimization scale.
- Full casters such as wizards, clerics, druids and sorcerers will face additional restrictions. No druids, first of all. They're a mess and a nature worshiper can be emulated with a cleric in any case. Clerics, wizards and sorcerers will be requires to stick to themes rather than going hog wild with the spell lists. Further, certain traveling magic such as plane shift, teleportation and other magics will be restricted or banned. More information will be provided once we have a forum and group set up. If you have any questions that you need answered about this beforehand, feel free to ask.
- Starting level is six. Experience points will not be used and level ups will be at my discretion.
- Buying and selling magic items will not be common in this game. There will be times and places where you can do this in a limited capacity, but I'm not going for full magic shopping here. I'd rather try and give out interesting magical items to use instead. If there's something you really want, such as a stat booster or a +1 whatever weapon, I suggest getting it with your starting gold.
- Material allowed is almost everything. The Tome of Battle is banned. (no arguments about this, please) Unusual systems I lack experience with, such as incarnum or truenaming, I'll want to talk to you about before letting it in. I probably will let it in, but I do need to understand what you're doing first. All other books are allowed, as well as campaign settings. Dragon magazine is allowed, but I will be screening it.
- LA of up to +1 is allowed and takes up a level slot on one side of the gestalt.

So who's interested?
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Yuthirin

What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Anastasia

That's one and a fine start. Any idea on a character concept at all, Yuth?
<Afina> Forever.

Yuthirin

What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Anastasia

<Afina> Forever.

Yuthirin

Anastasia

*Snaps fingers*

I forgot about LA. Let me edit the first post to include a note.
<Afina> Forever.

Yuthirin

Sierra

Interested, will talk character stuff when I'm not running late for work.

Zephyrus

VySaika

Am I interested? Yes.

Do I think I can keep to a weekly schedule without flaking constantly and pissing off the other players? Not in the least.
All About Monks
<Marisa> They're OP as fuck
<Marisa> They definitely don't blow in 3.5
<Marisa> after a certain level they basically just attack repeatedly until it dies
<Marisa> they're immune to a bunch of high level effects
<Marisa> just by being monks

Iron Dragoon

SKADOOSH!

I want in, basically. Hopefully it won't run on Mondays or Thursdays as I have class those nights. Any other day is just peachy.
This is not the greatest post in the world, no... this is just a tribute.

Anastasia

In

1: Yuthirin.
2: El Cideon.
3. Zephyrus.
4: Iron Dragoon.

Two slots remaining if anyone's interested.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

In

1: Yuthirin.
2: El Cideon.
3. Zephyrus.
4: Iron Dragoon.
5: Gatewalker.

One more slot if anyone's interested.
<Afina> Forever.

Merc

Ah, fuck it, I started playing around with chargen for my own fun and now I actually want to play character I started building.

I'll grab the last slot if Tuesday or Friday is doable for game time (I have class on Monday/Wednesday, and Iddy mentioned Monday/Thursday as bad for him).
<Cidward> God willing, we'll all meet in Buttquest 2: The Quest for More Butts.