D&D 3.5: "The Vastwoods"

Started by Anastasia, March 21, 2013, 02:41:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anastasia

System: D&D 3.5 with a few houserules.
Number of players: 2-4
Power level: Medium with gestalt.
Starting level: 4
Times: Early afternoons EST several times per week. Exact days and times TBA.

The Vastwoods is a game based around a forest wilderness frontier. It is a shared frontier by humans, elves and orcs, while raptorian canopy cities sit above them all. It is a game about small settlements and independence, much like the 1800s frontier in America. This territory is generally known by its human name, the Vastwoods. The themes of this game will be exploration, making your own way, dealing with independent communities and surviving in the wilds. This will be a game without much of civilization's soothing touch.

I have two players already lined up, Corwin and Ebiris. I would like 1-2 more if possible.

Style

Things are fairly open. As long as your character can fit into the world they can work. Having forestry skills, such as survival, K:N, hide, move silently, spot and listen is advised. Classes that deal with nature, such as druids and rangers, will be a natural advantage here. Likewise, classes that revolve around civilization, such as knights, are at a disadvantage. You can play whatever you want, just bear that in mind.

Rules

- Character generation will be the best of two sets from Hatbot in #elysium. Make sure I'm in there to witness the rolls. Once we have a board I'll make a topic to record your rolls. Paste them there once it's made.
- We will be using the gestalt rules, as seen here. You are allowed as many classes as you please, though I prefer if you don't get too insane with dipping. Base attack bonus and saves will be calculated by choosing the progression from one side and staying with it. Ergo, there isn't as much save inflation and you can't manipulate full BAB at all times. If you want to be a warrior, you'll likely want one side of your gestalt to have full BAB classes.
- Keep the cheese out and try not to powergame too much. Keep things on the middle of the optimization scale. I can keep up but I prefer not to get into an arms race with the PCs.
- Full casters such as wizards, clerics, druids and sorcerers will face additional restrictions. In addition to a few of the most abusive spells being banned (see houserules), teleportation and plane shifting magic is banned for this game. I don't want to bring the planes into this game nor do I want to diminish the wilderness aspects of this game with teleportation shenanigans. If the focus of this game changes, I'll revisit this rule then.
- Starting level is four. Experience points will not be used and level ups will be at my discretion.
- Buying and selling magic items will not be common in this game. There will be times and places where you can do this in a limited capacity, but I'm not going for full magic shopping here. I'd rather try and give out interesting magical items to use instead. If there's something you really want, such as a stat booster or a +1 whatever weapon, I suggest getting it with your starting gold.
- Races allowed are human, elf, half elf, orc, half orc, gorgorath and raptorian. Gorgorath are half elf/half orcs and more information about them will be provided. If you want to play another race, talk to me and we'll see if we can work something out.
- Material allowed is almost everything. The Tome of Battle is banned (no arguments about this, please). Unusual systems I lack experience with, such as incarnum or truenaming, I'll want to talk to you about before letting it in. I probably will let it in, but I do need to understand what you're doing first. All other books are allowed as well as campaign settings. Dragon magazine is allowed, but I will be screening it. Homebrew will be dutifully examined and allowed in if it is reasonable.
- We will be using CMB/CMD from Pathfinder. See the combat section of houserules for more information. Likewise, we'll be using skills from Pathfinder. Again, see skills in houserules. Everything else is 3.5, but these are some of the worst parts of 3.5 and are worth bringing back.

If you're interested or have any questions, post away.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Ebiris

Nephrite

I'm interested, but am willing to defer to people with more experience in the system.

Anastasia

Quote from: Nephrite on March 21, 2013, 02:57:37 PM
I'm interested, but am willing to defer to people with more experience in the system.

How much experience do you have with 3.5, Neph?
<Afina> Forever.

Nephrite

I am familiar with the mechanics, but have not played in a good while. It'd probably be easiest to just assume I'll need some remediation, but I'm confident I could pick it all up easily.

Anastasia

<Afina> Forever.