News:

"In closing, we have the best hobby ever. The End."

Main Menu

Brian Randall - 1/2014

Started by Dracos, January 18, 2014, 01:48:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

beege

I used to have regular contact with Brian online, way back when The Lost Library was still being updated, but I fell out of touch with him years ago.  I've always regretted that - conversing with him was never less than entertaining and thought provoking and I always came away from our conversations feeling as though my mind had broadened a little.  The world needs all the people like that it can get.

Brian's legacy is one not only of bringing joy and delight into the world, but doing so in a way that provoked deep thought and contemplation.  His passing does not take this away.

Dracos

I'm sorry about those who got surprised by the header of the email.  I really didn't know what to put there :\

Also to those worried about him, Shami and his toys made their way to Wally's place last night.  He was being pretty freaked out the last day, so he realizes something is pretty wrong.  He's gonna have a tough time for a while, but they'll look after him.
Well, Goodbye.

VySaika

For any of his friends here, or those who were inspired by him, if you want me to read something short on your behalf at his funeral just PM it to me and I will do so. I'm expecting to get a few of these, so for the sake of not dragging the service out I'll ask that we refrain from epics, but I'm willing to pass on any personalized goodbyes if anyone wants to send one.
All About Monks
<Marisa> They're OP as fuck
<Marisa> They definitely don't blow in 3.5
<Marisa> after a certain level they basically just attack repeatedly until it dies
<Marisa> they're immune to a bunch of high level effects
<Marisa> just by being monks

tabyk

Farewell friend, and though I hardly knew ye, I will always remember you as a part of the Soulriders.
"ZenCrafters!  Total enlightenment... in about an hour."

Zephyrus

I didn't know Brian well. I only knew him from our small gaming circle on Elysium. Be that as it may, I always had a good time hanging out with him and playing with him. Words are never enough to express our dismay or sadness when learning that a friend has passed away. They always seem hollow and trite, somehow.

Still, I will miss him and while I don't agree that suicide is ever the answer to anything that you're going through, I hope it brought him some measure of peace.

OmegaZato

I "never" would have thought that I would be writing something like this for a person that I didn't know personally.
I "never" would have thought that I couldn't keep reading Mr. Randall's works because of circumstances like these.
I "never" would have thought that someday it would be too late for me to send him one quick e-mail thanking him for writing such heartfelt and exquisitely inspiring literary works.
I "never" would have thought that someone who wrote such insightful and deep pieces of literature could be so grossly overwhelmed by his problems as decide to take his own life.
I "never" would have thought that I could feel regret for not thanking a man I never met for sharing his work and giving me the opportunity to see things from a different perspective,to feel things that the usual dull interactions with people can't convey.
I "never" would have thought that news like these would make me stop in my tracks and rethink what I've been doing until now.
I "never" would have thought that,someday,I would be writing for others to see.
But guess what? Too much "nevers" and "would haves"for my taste.
I apologize for the language but:FUCK "nevers" and "would haves".
Even if you can't read this I just have to write it: THANK YOU Mr. Brian Randall,for sharing with us a little piece of your soul,of your world...and for(yet again)teaching me an important lesson(through these grim circumstances): Memento Mori,remember that you will die,although Ephemeral as our existences may be,although At a Glance life may seem just a pointless struggle,an inevitable Descent to the deepest pits of desperation,sometimes all it takes are some Silent Moments of reflection to see that Later things may be a bit better.That even if the day-by-day life seems to be the definition of Miss/Fortune you may still find peace and solace In Your Dreams,and there you may find the Motivation to Pick Your Own Battles,to cross the Bridges that seemed to lead to Our Inevitable Fate...yet all it was needed for us was a bit more of hope and courage to Rise Up to the Challenge and become the Big Damn Heroes of our own story....for me Mr. Randall that's your Legacy,and I can't help(even though you will never read this)but to feel that I owe you an Apology,for never truly thanking you for all the good and inspiring moments your stories gave me.
I can only hope that,wherever you are,you get the peace I'm sure you longed for,but unfairly,didn't got in life.

Dracos

I've updated the topic.

His family has found some pictures they'll be scanning, and they're looking for more.  Got a cd as well, I'm gonna start going through.
Well, Goodbye.

Edward

Quote from: Rogh-sensei on January 18, 2014, 11:13:05 AM
I think I'm still in shock. I don't know if the full import of this has hit me yet, but already it's weird thinking I won't see him logged into G+ or see any inbox notifications from his fanfic page again. I talked to him just the other day, he said he was changing jobs, getting out of the morass at his old gig. I said hi to him the morning he died.

Oh god. I might have set him on this path. Monday I posted him a link to an article that I thought he could work into Big Damn Hero.
http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Ftruthseekerdaily.com%2F2014%2F01%2Fscientists-claim-that-quantum-theory-proves-consciousness-moves-to-another-universe-at-death%2F&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNFfxBZhjbjMDYhh4w3zX9Q-fZkzuQ

I'm sorry Brian. You helped me more than you can know. I'll miss you.

Don't guilt yourself like that.  We all miss him and if anyone had had the slightest hint Brian was going to do this, they would have acted.
If you see Vampire Hikaru Shidou, it is Fox.  No one else does that.  You need no other evidence." - Dracos

"Huh? Which rant?" - Gary

"Do not taunt Happy Fun Servitor of the Outer Gods with your ineffective Thompson Submachine Gun." - grimjack

Edward

Quote from: Dracos on January 20, 2014, 12:29:44 PM
I'm sorry about those who got surprised by the header of the email.  I really didn't know what to put there :\

This isn't the kind of thing where anyone knows what to say or write.  The header didn't give me false expectations; it had a feeling of finality that was confirmed by the body of the email. Brian was bipolar, not always able to afford medication, and depression seemed to be the stronger side of the cycle.  I was shocked that it had happened, but not truly surprised.
If you see Vampire Hikaru Shidou, it is Fox.  No one else does that.  You need no other evidence." - Dracos

"Huh? Which rant?" - Gary

"Do not taunt Happy Fun Servitor of the Outer Gods with your ineffective Thompson Submachine Gun." - grimjack

Oroboro

Back in the tail end of 2011, I read K:BDH, and eventually desired to try my own hand at writing fanfic. I did, and later found myself stumbling into the Kitago chatroom seeking advice. Brian was welcoming, friendly, and all around a pretty decent guy.

I spent most of 2012 hanging out in that chatroom - Getting to know Brian, making new friends, and learning a hell of a lot about writing, character analysis, and various obscure topics of discussion. While I eventually drifted away, and wish now that perhaps I hadn't, I'm glad I spent the time there I did. It was another chapter in my life that I'm happy to look back on.

To good memories, and time well spent.
Knox's 9th: It is permitted for observers to let their own conclusions and interpretations be heard!

The truth is in red / Theories are blue / Magic is bullshit / But I still love you.

Dracos

He liked having more folks write.
Well, Goodbye.

Halbarad

That he most definitely did. I know I never would have attempted to write again if it hadn't been for his encouragement.
I am a terrible person.
Excellent Youkai.

Dracos

Hey All,

Updated with when his life celebration will be held.

Additionally some pictures are added to his website.  Adding more as we can.
Well, Goodbye.

Dracos

I've added a note from Marlon, who was always Brian's Old Man.
Well, Goodbye.

Kaldrak

Thank you for everything Drac. I know this must be really hard on you.
"Do what you want to do. Do what you like doing. Write the stories you want to see written and give other people the same courtesy. That is all that is important."