One Punch To Save The World

Started by Dracos, March 05, 2014, 10:20:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dracos

So who's a One Punch Man fan here?

I suspect I am not the only one who follows the disaffected professional superman, in his ridiculously overdetailed world full of easily influenced citizens?

It's one of my favorite takes of the unstoppable superman angle I've seen.  A real sharp contrast with western Superman of being The Good Guy, and lacking the 'look we're a martial arts adventure' that DB or 'family thing' that DBZ had.

It's got deceptive impact for a story around a never-losing protagonist that solves any problem with a single punch.

Some video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tS04hHRN1Q
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xihiVQwHftU
Well, Goodbye.

Empyrean

I'm a fan. The second version, the one with the great art, is the one I'm following. The chapters that are entirely a sequence of images that you could animate by showing them in sequence are an interesting touch. Check it out: http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2013/03/06/chapter-of-one-punch-man-manga-turned-into-incredible-animated-gif

While there's never any doubt that Onepunch Man will win, in the end there's really never any doubt that Superman will win either. Fortunately, the story doesn't try to rely on building that type of dramatic tension.

Grahf

Been following both versions for quite some time, I think I might have actually posted that second video a couple of days ago in the link of the day thread.

Incoming spoilers for ONE's version, which is massively ahead of Murata's right now.

Spoiler: ShowHide
It looks like Murata is wrapping up the invasion arc. That leaves a small arc with King's origin and stuff before they move onto the Hero Hunter Garou arc and the Monster's Association, which is what ONE's version just got out of recently. Also, Saitama is now homeless at the end because the fight completely wrecked the abandoned part of the city he lived in.

Grahf

With the latest chapter out we've actually got a deviation from what happened in the original work. Granted it's one that's done for pure rule of cool.

Considering that Saitama gets punted to the moon. Whereas in the original he does not.

Dracos

It's actually odd.

SJAlpha had chapter 35 up a month ago, and I suspect it ran much closer to what the original ONE version did.  I suspect next monday I'll see this redo of chapter 35.  I'm guessing that like the Sea King fight, they just decide to course correct every so often after the fact.
Well, Goodbye.

Grahf

That seems quite likely. Murata is someone who, in this case at least, really seems like the type of person that hasn't hesitated to go back and change something if he doesn't like how it worked out the first time. It's one of the reasons the updates have been slow, but it's also why the quality has been amazing.

Dracos

Well, Goodbye.

Grahf

New chapter is out and....

I'm pretty sure Saitama might have accidentally broken the moon.

Dracos

Naw, it can take it.

Whether that guy can handle multiple punches though...
Well, Goodbye.

Merc

If he takes multiple punches, the manga needs to be renamed!
<Cidward> God willing, we'll all meet in Buttquest 2: The Quest for More Butts.

JonBob

Looks like an update to the chapter was posted.

Even though he needs multiple punches to "destroy" Boros, he only needs one to take out the world-killing beam. But Boros made Saitama actually be serious!

Grahf

Well, another update got posted,

The fight is over. Boros is dead, but not before accusing Saitama of not even really trying, a claim which our hero doesn't dispute. And that shot of the clouds parting on Earth from the aftershock of that punch. Beautiful. Simply beautiful.

Dracos

So who's watching the anime?  It's not high budget sadly, but a lot of the scenes did come across pretty well.  They've got a rougher take of battle Saitama (Opener sucks :P).

They just introduced Boros, so they're pretty close to catching up to the manga, and will be having the first fight to last more than a single blow of Japanese Superman.
Well, Goodbye.

thepanda

Been watching it. The pacing is good, for the most part. There are episodes when I think the shows about to end and its just hitting the midpoint. The Deep Sea King arc felt a little off, though.

Needs more Mumen Rider OAV!

Merc

Of course, the series is about to end too since it's only 12 eps. For 12 episodes it covered a good starting arc. Hopefully there will be later seasons.

OAV might also cover a few more short arcs unless they're original episodes like the first one (which covered Saitama's suit tailoring).
<Cidward> God willing, we'll all meet in Buttquest 2: The Quest for More Butts.