D&D 3.5 "Balmuria 5: Paragons"

Started by Anastasia, April 11, 2015, 02:03:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anastasia

System: D&D 3.5 with houserules.
Number of players: 3-5
Power level: Medium-High with gestalt.
Starting level: 5
Times: Early afternoons EST several times per week. The game time is 1 PM to 330/4 PM EST (depending on circumstances) 3/4 days a week. I can do most days except for Sundays. Weekdays are preferred. The likely start date is May 11th, give or take a few days.

Balmuria 5: Paragons is a game based around right and wrong. The party will be heroes called on to rejuvenate a world slipping into darkness. It is a two pronged quest, as while evil must be vanquished, the people also need examples to look up to. The world needs heroes in more than the sense of monster killers. The game's themes will revolve around this - think a mix of normal D&D with elements of Ultima 4: Quest of the Avatar.

This game takes place in an existing universe, though knowledge of it isn't important. The campaign will take place on a new Prime Material plane.

Style

The game's focus will be on being a better person while saving others. This is a heroic game about you grapple with those sort of things and rise above them. Class selection isn't terribly important as much as what you do and how you act. Any base class should be fine, with the exception of the oriental flavored ones.

Rules

- Character generation will be the best of two sets from a dicebot in #elysium. Make sure I'm in there to witness the rolls. There will be a topic on the game board for you to post your rolls and choose which set you take. Rerolls may be allowed at my discretion and any set will be rerolled if the total ability score modifiers are +1 or less.

- The houserules in play will come from here, expanded and streamlined for this game. Information in this post supersedes anything in that topic.

- We will be using the gestalt rules. You are allowed as many classes as you please, though I prefer if you don't get too insane with dipping. Base attack bonus and saves will be calculated by choosing the progression from one side and staying with it. Ergo, there isn't as much save inflation and you can't manipulate full BAB at all times. If you want to be a warrior, you'll likely want one side of your gestalt to have full BAB classes.

- The starting level is 5. Experience points will not be used and level ups will be at my discretion.

- I allow in all material with the following exceptions and provisions. The Tome of Battle is banned (no arguments about this, please). Unusual systems I lack experience with, such as incarnum or truenaming, I'll want to talk to you about before letting it in. I probably will let it in, but I do need to understand what you're doing first. All other books are allowed as well as campaign settings. Dragon magazine is allowed, but I will be screening it. Homebrew will be dutifully examined and allowed in if it is reasonable.

- Keep the cheese out and try not to powergame too much. Keep things on the middle-high end of the optimization scale. I can keep up but I prefer not to get into an arms race with the PCs.

- You're allowed to take up to +4 of LA. Up to you if you want to. LA buyback is not an option, but you can have one side of your gestalt pay off the LA and use the other side to advance classes. For example, a half celestial fighter/wizard might look like this: Half Celestial 4/Fighter 1//Wizard 5.

- PCs must be good aligned. This is a game about inspiring hope and being the good guys, so playing other alignments doesn't fit that. In addition, if you choose to be of exalted alignment (in short, taking exalted feats and being a super do-gooder, more information can be found here under the alignment tab), you gain a bonus exalted feat. Choosing to be exalted will be a choice to take the malaise of Malana and the greater world head on. This will make your life more difficult, so the feat is compensation to do so, as well as mild encouragement.

- We will be using CMB/CMD from Pathfinder. See the combat section of houserules for more information. Likewise, we'll be using skills from Pathfinder. Again, see skills in houserules. Everything else is 3.5, but these are some of the worst parts of 3.5 and are worth revising.

- No particular magic is banned (except for spells banned in houserules for balance reasons), though corrupt magic and other spells that require you to be evil won't be available to PCs. The magic exists and may be used against you, but as the game's premise requires good aligned PCs, you all won't be using it.

- As playing certain types of characters (paladins, clerics, favored souls) makes sense with the premise, I'll touch briefly on Balmuria's deities. We use a modified version of the Forgotten Realms pantheon. FR doesn't exist in this multiverse, but the deities from it are used. Exceptions: There's no drow so no drow related deities. There's no gnomish deities either for unrelated reasons. Planar lords (such as the Hebdomad of Celestia (BoED), Court of Stars (BoED), Lords of the Nine (FC2), Abyssal Lords (FC1) also have clerics and function as deities. These can be options as well. If you're interested in one, talk to me.

More information on the world, the greater setting and so forth will be provided soon. This post is just to suss out interested parties.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Corwin

<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Nephrite

Ebiris