News:

"I stand humbled by your vast My Little Pony knowledge."

Main Menu

Race the Sun - Short thoughts

Started by Dracos, May 09, 2015, 04:00:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dracos

So, this came along with PS Plus this month and I figured I'd give it a try.  I'm not all that good at racers anyway.

It was a very simple game off the bat.  Barely any control instruction and that definitely bothered me as it felt like there were lots of things that I'd want to jump or do things for.  Basically the game only has left and right at the beginning (may unlock more later, but I stopped before it did).  It is an untextured light based drive until you crash game.  Most runs pretty short.  Left and right diagonal motion felt pretty difficult, as the vehicle was generally going too fast to follow diagonal lines of rewards.  It is possible that the game unlocks better options here later, as during my short play, it unlocked a few level adjusting things as it went.  It definitely hinted at modifiable cars later on.

For the few levels I played it was a neat avoid the obstacles type thing with a few objectives in light to meet.  Bad thing?  If you did an objective, but it hadn't been revealed yet, it didn't count.

Overall, doesn't seem worth putting more time into.  The graphics are very simple, so there's not a lot of visual beauty to look at while racing.  The left and right diagonal motion makes dashing in and out of things unwelcome.  My best runs were usually taking very wide routes and so I felt rewarded for not taking risks and not challenging for the obstacles.  Many of the early challenges were really 'go far' so grabbing points and building the multiplier (unlocked after a bit) wasn't balanced as an interesting thing to try.  I think the very 'sudden' left right motion more than anything else threw me off the game.  It was just not easy to drift in and swipe a triangle scoring item, even without obstacles in the way.  The mutliplier actually disincentivized this further, since any 'bump' killed the score multiplier.  During my play, I only got to see the first two regions, and while the moving parts and windmills of the second were neat, I just wasn't feeling like I was really rewarded for trying to push anything, so lost interest.

Might be neat for someone that really enjoys collision/driving games but I don't think it really has enough going for it.
Well, Goodbye.

VySaika

I spent a few hours on it, got to the 4th zone a few times. It's...not much but a neat little thing that was worth futzing around with for a bit and then putting aside. Most of the objectives were easy enough to meet, though the "clear 2 zones while only turning left in one run!" type bs is what finally made me put the game down. Get higher scores, go further, bump x number of things, fly x distance, barrel roll x times, all that stuff is fine. Clear randomized zones while only moving in one direction to dodge things? No.
All About Monks
<Marisa> They're OP as fuck
<Marisa> They definitely don't blow in 3.5
<Marisa> after a certain level they basically just attack repeatedly until it dies
<Marisa> they're immune to a bunch of high level effects
<Marisa> just by being monks