News:

"With great power comes the opportunity to abuse that power."

Main Menu

Ultimate Antihero

Started by KLSymph, February 18, 2016, 10:16:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KLSymph

Ultmate Antihero, written by Riku Misora and illustrated by Yuu Uonuma. Translated in its entirety by yours truly.

MC hasn't done anything antihero-ish yet! -- project editor, on learning the series was over

But they did explain what the "Ultimate" part means! And when I read that, my eyes rolled straight out of my head to the other side of the room. -- KLSymph

Jason_Miao

That statement assumes the title is supposed to be indicative of content in a Japanese series in the first place...

Claymore: A series that is about neither swords or antipersonnel mines
Sailor Moon: A series that has nothing to do with sailors.  I suppose there's parts about Moon, but that's probably more about the effect of wearing miniskirts than anything lunar-based
Naruto: A series about Sasuke.
etc.

KLSymph

You make a good point. And as you can imagine, there's nothing like fan-translation work to burn any lingering assumption that Japanese storytellers have even a mediocre grasp of English from your mind.

Dracos

Hah.

Well anyhow, the story is pretty sort, and ends quite weakly.  All of the girls in it basically have identical figures, and every guy in it is either the main, a scared weakling, or an old posturing man.  Because of its short length, it basically goes from Introduction of Bad Guys to Top Tier to Done in a moment.  The protagonist is basically a play on Hellsing Alucard, basically being so powerful as to leave the whole planet behind.

It really doesn't quite accomplish much with the story.  Neat job translating it.
Well, Goodbye.

Jason_Miao

Read through it.  Per comments, it's evidently a light novel promotional piece, which explains why there isn't any real meaty story.  I probably won't look at the LN; the characters seem flat, the main is an SI in all but name, etc.

Also, while I understand that cheesecake is a standard cliche in these sorts of works, ch3 p20 - not wearing panties?!  Probably just an oversight in illustration (artist just kept shortening the skirts to drum up interest in characters, didn't really think about exactly how short he was drawing them) rather than anything intentional, but...yeah.  That stood out.

KLSymph

Oh look, someone's translating the light novel. And translating 邪神使い ("jashin tsukai") as the literal "Evil God User". Wow, that makes me so happy I rolled the dice on turning it into "Fiend Summoner" so long ago, even though at the time I had no context on what the term meant--I was just thinking the literal meaning was such garbage that I had no choice but to go through the thesaurus for half an hour finding something that sounds dramatic. And weeks afterward I was holding my breath, hoping that "jashin" wasn't a generic term for "spirit" and that the main character summons something in the next update so my translation wouldn't be wrong.

It was all worth it! Because seeing "Evil God User" on the screen is like being punched in the eye.