News:

"Destiny Challenged us and so we chose to end the world.  There was nothing to regret.  Nothing."

Main Menu

Freedom Planet - The Best sonic-spinoff indie game I've played in a while

Started by Dracos, October 23, 2016, 03:52:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dracos

>_>
<_<

May have spoiled in title.  May also have taken a while to write this, so its not the most fresh.

Anyhow, I picked this up after bravely second.  It's made Galaxy Trail and basically began its life as a Sonic fan-game as I understand it.  Under auspicious desire to do better, the creator at some point tore out all the sonic parts and started making his own thing.  This actually turned out really well.  Putting it simply, this is still a budget title, looking not out of place for late era SNES that you can feel from beginning to end was done by a small indie team getting its feet under itself.  It advances in technical proficiency visibly over the course of the game, though not to a degree that it feels like a different game.  The characters slowly begin to use their mouths a bit more and generally do feel like there was a decent bit of effort to meet 90s children's cartoon level.

I never beat the game, so I didn't try other routes, but the game offers to let you use up to three characters in the collective team that gathers up to save the world from the invading alien army.  You have the flying purple dragon sonic-expy, who I played and moved really nicely through the game.  You also have the spunky but practical motorcycle driving green girl who doesn't want to get involved but doesn't want to abandon her friends, and the powerful bunnygirl who has a lesbian storyline with the sonic-expy, for some reason and also is missing her parents.

Kind of wavered off in writing this and sort of left this post going for a while.  I should get back into properly writing these things at some point, but I'll just leave this incomplete one here for now.  Do recommend giving it a try, even if it ended too hard for me at the very end.
Well, Goodbye.