DM Nagging: It's pretty much my job

Started by Anastasia, April 12, 2018, 12:35:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anastasia

Xandra's spell choices. Bear in mind she has access to sanctified spells and up to 4th level paladin casting. She may try and wrangle in a domain somehow, I'm not sure.

10th

21: Greater Cone of Cold (Is a glorious spellcasting selection, so it gets priority)
22: Hellball (Name aside it's a good option for her)
23: True Meteor Swarm

10th-11th

24: Sunlance (Glorious spellcasting selection)
25: Dire Winter (Glorious spellcasting selection)
26: Queen's Displeasure

10-12th

27: Rain of Desolation (Glorious spellcasting selection)
28: Sandalphon's Amazing Barrage (Glorious spellcasting selection)
29: Sekmid's Trap

10-13th

30: Greater Polar Ray
31: Kassim's Sky Flower
32: Blazing Radiance

These are all evocations. Neph, got any suggestions on spells to add from the 'related to something non epic warmage spellcasting' angle?
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Nephrite

I think it's also a good encouragement to make new spells. : )

Iron Dragoon

So I liked Frostefell, but I think some variety is needed. Frostburn damage is harder to resist and more rare, so to compensate for losing that in this version, I threw the fatigue/exhaustion thing in there.

I think pyro-dryads will approve.

Corona of the Sun
Transmutation [Fire]
Level: Drd 8, Sorc/Wiz 9
Components: V, S, M, DF,
Casting Time: 1 round
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Area: 20-ft. cube/level
Duration: 1 hour/level
Saving Throw: Fortitude partial; see text
Spell Resistance: See text

The area you designate fills with heat, increasing the temprature by 3 temprature bands.
For example, if the temprature is moderate, it raises to extreme heat.
If the new temprature is above the very hot hand, all ice is turned to water and all earth has the moisture removed from it, becoming sand-like, to a depth of 10 feet per caster level.
Air in the area becomes so hot that a visable heat haze lasts for the duration of the spell.
Living creatures caught within the spell are scorched and must make an immediate fortitude check or become exhausted.
If a creature successfully saves, they instead become fatigued and Corona of the Sun deals 1d6 points of fire damage per caster level (maximum 20d6) due to the flash heating of all moisture.
Creatures entering the area after the spell has been cast do not take this damage; however, all creatures in the area are subject to the normal effects of heat, fatigue, and exhaustion for the duration of the spell.
Objects in the area, including those held by creatures, are instantly heated as if left out in the sun, making them uncomfortably hot to handle.
When a creature uses a heated item (a weapon, lockpicks, a potion, and so on), it must succeed on a DC 10 Constitution check or it drops the item before it can be used.
Fire spells cast within the area gain a +1 caster level.
Multiple Corona of the Suns may be cast in the same area to increase the effects (raising the temprature by an additional 3 bands).
The temprature band cannot be raised above unearthly heat, no matter how many times Corona of the Sun has been cast.
Arcane Material Component: A pinch of fire salts.
This is not the greatest post in the world, no... this is just a tribute.

Anastasia

Quote from: Nephrite on December 25, 2018, 07:17:50 PM
I think it's also a good encouragement to make new spells. : )

Granted. Got any ideas?
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Iron Dragoon on December 25, 2018, 07:21:57 PM
So I liked Frostefell, but I think some variety is needed. Frostburn damage is harder to resist and more rare, so to compensate for losing that in this version, I threw the fatigue/exhaustion thing in there.

I think pyro-dryads will approve.

Corona of the Sun
Transmutation [Fire]
Level: Drd 8, Sorc/Wiz 9
Components: V, S, M, DF,
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Area: 20-ft. cube/level
Duration: 1 hour/level
Spell Resistance: See text

The area you designate fills with heat, increasing the temprature by 3 temprature bands.
For example, if the temprature is moderate, it raises to extreme heat.
If the new temprature is above the very hot hand, all ice is turned to water and all earth has the moisture removed from it, becoming sand-like, to a depth of 10 feet per caster level.
Air in the area becomes so hot that a visable heat haze lasts for the duration of the spell.
Living creatures caught within the spell are scorched and must make an immediate fortitude check or become exhausted.
If a creature successfully saves, they instead become fatigued and Corona of the Sun deals 1d6 points of fire damage per caster level (maximum 20d6) due to the flash heating of all moisture.
Creatures entering the area after the spell has been cast do not take this damage; however, all creatures in the area are subject to the normal effects of heat, fatigue, and exhaustion for the duration of the spell.
Objects in the area, including those held by creatures, are instantly heated as if left out in the sun, making them uncomfortably hot to handle.
When a creature uses a heated item (a weapon, lockpicks, a potion, and so on), it must succeed on a DC 10 Constitution check or it drops the item before it can be used.
Fire spells cast within the area gain a +1 caster level.
Multiple Corona of the Suns may be cast in the same area to increase the effects (raising the temprature by an additional 3 bands).
The temprature band cannot be raised above unearthly heat, no matter how many times Corona of the Sun has been cast.
Arcane Material Component: A pinch of fire salts.

I'd get a little more creative than just swapping around frostfell, personally. But I see the intent, at least. Have you read Sandstorm yet? I think it has a few spells that do things like this.
<Afina> Forever.

Yuthirin

Tryll reaches level 32.

- Psion 23 and Metamind 4 .
- As a Paragon, he gains full HD+12 each level. He gains a total of 25 hit points and a grand total of 818 hit points. After subtracting the -1 hp/HD from the mind tonic, he has 786 hp.
- +1 BAB for a total of 19.
- Tryll's HD reaches 32. His luck bonus to AC rises to +8. His spell resistance rises to 46. His fast healing rises to 42.
- Spell resistance rises by 1 to 43.
- Gained 32nd level Psion manifesting. He selects Genesis as his new power.
- All saves rise by 1.
- +1 Int for a total of 40.
- Skills go up as normal.
- Power points rise as normal.
- Metamind adds Cognizance Psicrystal, 7 pp.

Not bad.
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Iron Dragoon

Inquiring about the epic spells 'Beast of a Thousand Legs' and 'Dire Drought' from Sandstorm.
This is not the greatest post in the world, no... this is just a tribute.

Anastasia

Occasionally I tip my hand and show things that aren't combat relevant any more. Have one of the many unique spells today's wyrm had on them.

Tashar's Revivification
Abjuration/Conjuration (Healing)
Level: Clr 13
Components: V, S
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: 1 hour/level or until discharged; see text

When you are reduced to below zero hit points, you instantly recover hit points equal to the hit points you were reduced to below zero times three. For example, if you took damage that reduced you to -35 hit points, you would heal 105 hit points. Any adjacent allies heal the same amount of hit points. You and any allies healed also halve the type of damage that reduced you below zero hit points for 1 minute.

If the source of damage that reduced you below zero hit points was a spell or spell-like ability,  you halve damage from spells and spell-like abilities. If it was a melee or ranged attack, you halve damage from melee or ranged attacks. If the source of damage was a supernatural or extraordinary ability, you halve the damage supernatural or extraordinary abilities. Sources of damage that do not fall into any of these categories provide no benefit.

Regardless, the spell is expended once it is triggered or until the duration expires, whichever comes first.

This spell was made by Tashar, a guardian naga cleric. It is only known to a handful of spellcasters, all of which who obtained it by trading rare spells.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

That spell has been added to the Spell Collection.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Posting the spell Seira countered in the interests of having more material.

Polar Howl
Evocation [Cold, Sonic]
Level: Sor/Wiz 14
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Medium (100ft + 10ft/level)
Area: 1 40ft radius burst per 5/levels
Duration: Instantaneous
Spell Resistance: Yes

This spell conjures multiple bursts of howling blizzard winds that freeze, disorient and slow creatures within them. Any creature within a burst takes 25d6 points of cold damage and 25d6 points of sonic damage. A creature who takes cold damage from this spell and fails the Fortitude save is slowed for one round per caster level (as if by a slow spell), while a creature who takes sonic damage from this spell and fails the Fortitude save is confused for one round per caster level (as if by a confusion spell).

A creature can be both slowed and confused by this spell if they take both cold and sonic damage. A creature cannot be affected by multiple bursts in a single casting.

Material Components

The tooth of a white or silver dragon, worth no less than 300 gold. A dragon with a breath weapon that deals cold damage does not need to provide the material component.
<Afina> Forever.

Ebiris

Quote from: Anastasia on December 27, 2018, 10:13:56 PM
Occasionally I tip my hand and show things that aren't combat relevant any more. Have one of the many unique spells today's wyrm had on them.

Tashar's Revivification
Abjuration/Conjuration (Healing)
Level: Clr 13
Components: V, S
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: 1 hour/level or until discharged; see text

When you are reduced to below zero hit points, you instantly recover hit points equal to the hit points you were reduced to below zero times three. For example, if you took damage that reduced you to -35 hit points, you would heal 105 hit points. Any adjacent allies heal the same amount of hit points. You and any allies healed also halve the type of damage that reduced you below zero hit points for 1 minute.

If the source of damage that reduced you below zero hit points was a spell or spell-like ability,  you halve damage from spells and spell-like abilities. If it was a melee or ranged attack, you halve damage from melee or ranged attacks. If the source of damage was a supernatural or extraordinary ability, you halve the damage supernatural or extraordinary abilities. Sources of damage that do not fall into any of these categories provide no benefit.

Regardless, the spell is expended once it is triggered or until the duration expires, whichever comes first.

This spell was made by Tashar, a guardian naga cleric. It is only known to a handful of spellcasters, all of which who obtained it by trading rare spells.

I love the concept of this spell but it's too broad. Rather than offering blanket resistance entirely to melee/ranged/spells/supernatural/extraordinary it should specify the type of damage and use that. So if someone with it gets killed with a sword, then they get resistance to slashing damage whether from a sword or a spell or effect. If they get killed by a magic missile, same for force damage. It feels much more in keeping with the reason for those descriptors existing to use them for something like this.

Anastasia

I wrote it that way at first, but was ultimately unsatisfied with it. It's a case where I'm not wholly satisfied with the spell either way, as I feel that way is a little too narrow and my way is a little too broad, but I ended up erring on the side of broadness. It's a situational heal and immunity that's variable in healing and exact immunity (unless you trigger it yourself), so I felt being broad compensates for that.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Side note: The durability of monsters so far in Io's dungeon came up in chat. Most have plenty of HP, but less thousands and thousands but instead 700-1000 with various forms of common and unique damage mitigation and recovery. I try and keep HP within reasonable bounds (Oberuth's an exception there, intentionally so for flavor reasons which are obvious if you think about it) and instead focus on ways to survive rather than just HP inflation.

Examples:

The horrors Alyssa is currently facing have around 500 hit points and a few minor ways to possibly make that last longer, as well as toughness as a bonus feat so that they skew higher on hit points. (I know they're not a part of that dungeon, but they're recent and in mind.)

The first batch of proto dragons have overwhelming physical stats, ending up around 1k hit points, very strong DR you weren't beating and a few other aspects and angles.

The ghostly dragons had tricks, but you basically hit the weak points right on and they never got a chance to get going. Unfortunate but it did illustrate the problem with them, so it wasn't unintentional.

The blue ice wyrm has a bevy of custom and standard defensive spells providing a variety of powerful benefits, as well as a few other things in play. It's safe to say you're dealing with something hard to put down, but not purely because of hit points.

All that being said is mostly to frame Tashar's Revivification and the thought processes behind making the choice for broad (in that case) versus narrow. At the same time, I don't necessarily want a bunch of spells like Sublime Revelry which are cast and forget damage halvers, either. The trick is finding a way to do it interestingly while still having the spell be worthwhile. I think Tashar's Revivification makes a stab at that.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

A new PrC is up in homebrew. It came about from DM work around the efreet, not gonna lie.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Reminder that we're back on today. Also reminder that don't expect a lot of morning posting before sessions, as I'm working job applications during that time.
<Afina> Forever.