News:

I have a dream that one day, men will be punched in the face not for the color of their skin, but for the awful content of their character.

Main Menu

DM Nagging: It's pretty much my job

Started by Anastasia, April 12, 2018, 12:35:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iron Dragoon

This is not the greatest post in the world, no... this is just a tribute.

Anastasia

<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Anastasia

Quote from: Iron Dragoon on May 17, 2019, 12:18:35 AM
Proposing some feat retrains for approval:

Level 1: Improved Disarm -> Empower Spell
Human: Combat Expertise -> Maximize Spell
Level 6: Font of Inspiration -> Knowledge Devotion
Level 9: Knowledge Devotion -> Minor Shapeshift

I'm also interested in getting an Epic version of the Inspiring enchant(s).

Retraining goes without incident.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Any comments, y'all?

Chauntea's Great Restoration
Transmutation
Level: Drd 15
Components: V, S, M, F, DF
Casting Time: 12 hours
Range: 5 miles/level
Area: 5 miles/level emanation, centered on you
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

By casting this spell, you cause a wide reaching and complete restoration of the lands within range of this spell. This spell heals any damage to the land, such as pollution, drought, desertification, decay, diseases, curses and ongoing spells. Spells such as diminish plants are automatically dispelled, as is any non epic spell that harms or suppresses the natural state of the land. An epic spell is treated as being affected by a superb dispelling spell with a maximum dispel check of +60. Any magical changes to the natural weather patterns are likewise dispelled (you can choose to exempt beneficial effects as you see fit) as above, while non magical changes are simply corrected.

Lands affected by this spell are instantly restored to full growth and splendor. Dead plants are returned to life, fields are full of fresh growth and farmed out lands are again fertile. Any blocked or lost water sources are restored and rejuvenated, with natural aquifers and the like fully refilled. Exhausted natural resources are restored as well.

The area affected by this spell is forever bountiful after. Crop yields are doubled for the affected land and plants need only 50% of the normal amount of water to survive.

If this spell is cast on the Prime Material Plane, it also heals any spiritual wounds in the area of the spell as if the caster used an unused 15th level spell slot to heal the wound. Any caster level checks to end the spiritual wound are still required.

This spell was created by Chauntea after a Prime Material Plane was nearly destroyed by several disasters. While the spell's knowledge is not hidden, the required focus means it is usually cast only by the greatest and most trusted of Chauntea's servants.

Material Component

Diamonds totaling no less than 50,000 gold.

Focus

A droplet of blood from Chauntea.
<Afina> Forever.

Iron Dragoon

I like it, but shouldn't it be more like a devout of chauntea spell, and then a lesser version for regular druids? Seems like that would be something she keeps in-house so to speak.
This is not the greatest post in the world, no... this is just a tribute.

Anastasia

Quote from: Iron Dragoon on May 19, 2019, 11:42:42 AM
I like it, but shouldn't it be more like a devout of chauntea spell, and then a lesser version for regular druids? Seems like that would be something she keeps in-house so to speak.

Read this line from the spell:

QuoteThis spell was created by Chauntea after a Prime Material Plane was nearly destroyed by several disasters. While the spell's knowledge is not hidden, the required focus means it is usually cast only by the greatest and most trusted of Chauntea's servants.

The required focus accomplishes that same effect, unless you can somehow get your hands on a drop of Chautnea's blood.
<Afina> Forever.

Ebiris

Nice spell, would've been good for those wastes south of the Desert Fiefdoms.

Anastasia

Quote from: Ebiris on May 19, 2019, 12:03:43 PM
Nice spell, would've been good for those wastes south of the Desert Fiefdoms.

It's a useful spell for its niche, yes.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Chauntea's Great Restoration is in the Spell Collection now.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

No kidding, why isn't she helping?!
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Corwin

Seeking clarification on the following.

Armband
QuoteArmband of the Spark [50,000gp]: This armband, when worn, allows the user to channel life energy. Three times per day, they may activate it's powers as a swift action. For the next minute, they may deal critical hits and precision damage to creatures normally immune to such.

What happens after I activate it? What if my next action is to take the armband off and drop it on the ground, was the power channeled into me during that swift action and will continue to affect me for the next minute, or do I need to wear the armband for that minute to get the benefit of its power?

The Flame Whips spell
Spoiler: ShowHide
Flame Whips
(Spell Compendium, p. 95)

Transmutation
Level: Sorcerer 4, Wizard 4,
Components: V, S,
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Personal
Effect: Flaming whips
Duration: 1 round/level (D)

At the conclusion of this spell, your arms stretch into whiplike appendages and burst into flames.

Your forelimbs transform into flaming whips. You gain two melee touch attacks with a 15-foot reach that each deals 6d6 points of fire damage. Attacks with these flaming whips replace any natural attacks you had with those limbs.

While this spell is in effects, you cannot cast spells with material components, nor can you carry items with your forelimbs. Any items worn on your forelimbs cease functioning while the spell is active.

Am I correct to presume that using this spell won't prevent me from having the rest of my natural attacks, nor would it prevent me from using my SLAs, Divine and otherwise?

Can there exist a variant that turns just one of my arms into a flame whip? What about turning my wings into fire whips instead of my arms? How about turning all my natural attacks into terrifying flame tentacles?

What about something like the extra arms granted by Arms of Plenty, could Flame Whips be integrated with that to retain the ability to use my sword?

Would Flame Whips be hit with Imix's Burn (Ex) ability were I to him him with them?

Plane of Fire lore
I got the answer that a Gate could be opened between Water and Fire (barring Kossuth or Istishia intervening directly). How likely is that were I to try to box Imix in and then open a Gate to Water to kick him through?

What about opening a portal to Water that would start gushing water all over the place? I can't really think of a spell that does that out of hand, but would divine power or Wish/Miracle accomplish that? And if it were possible, would Kossuth or Istishia treat it like a Gate spell? Worse, better?

Would my divine power or Wish/Miracle be able to suppress Fire's ever-burning effect? Something like Attune Form and its weaker cousin, except with a small radius instead?

The Abolition War
Is this battle considered to be part of the Abolition War, as far as Istishia is concerned? Ie, were the Padisha or Ben-Hadar willing to act here, are they allowed to?
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Anastasia

Armband: You need to keep it on to gain the benefits.

Flame Whips: Main proviso here before anything else: If this just turns into wraith strike 2.0 since melee touch it's not going to fly.  Same reasons as that, don't want to even try and balance that and essentially ignore the fact that wraith strike is banned for a good reason. It may well be a corner case with goldenfire but it's not a corner case I'm going to deal with.

Yes, it wouldn't interfere with non arm natural weapons, such as a bite or a tail.

Yes, a single arm variant would be fine via alter reality. A greater version that does that could be made, I suppose, though see above about wraith strike.

It's a DM judgment area, but I'd rule you couldn't turn Arms of Plenty arms into Flame Whips.

I'd rule that your Flame Whips are still part of your body, so anything that would deal damage from coming in contact with ti would still damage you.

Fire Lore: Possibly, you don't know precisely what would cause Kossuth and Istishia to intervene.

Again, you don't know precisely how those two beings would react to mass Water gates. It's also something the Sultan and Imix could move to counter, naturally.

Yeah, that's probably reasonable based on other spells.

You don't know if Istishia would consider it part of the war or not, but it would logically seem to be a part of it.
<Afina> Forever.

Nephrite

Just out of curiosity, would you see an amped-up version of Mana Flux (PHBII) as legal?

I think it'd be cool if there was a Greater version that maybe had a slightly larger area and 50% failure or something like that.

Anastasia

Quote from: Iron Dragoon on May 17, 2019, 11:33:37 PM
Water-blasting
Transmutation/Conjuration [Water, Earth]
Level: Drd 8, Sor/Wiz 8
Components: V, S, M.
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Short (25ft + 5ft 2/levels)
Target: 1 creature
Duration: Concentration; up to 1 round/level
Saving Throw: Reflex half; see text
Spell Resistance: Yes

Opening a tiny portal to the plane of Water you summon a jet of water, pressurized by all the weight of the plane. When this jet passes through your portal, small grains of Sand are called into it increasing the abrasive damage of it. The caster must succeed on a ranged touch attack to hit the target, and this jet deals 1d6 damage per caster level (maximum of 25d6) per round to the target, a successful reflex save halves this damage.

Any creature wither the Water or Earth sub-type takes half damage from this spell, while Constructs and objects take double damage.

Material Component

A small jar of water and sand.

Edit: what do you think of an effect where if you fail two consecutive saves you get knocked down from the pressure?

Damage is too high for a continuous, round by round source of damage for 8th level.

You could do that, or just have the blast knock someone prone.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Nephrite on May 20, 2019, 07:28:47 PM
Just out of curiosity, would you see an amped-up version of Mana Flux (PHBII) as legal?

I think it'd be cool if there was a Greater version that maybe had a slightly larger area and 50% failure or something like that.

Possibly. One of those things where it's written and I take a gander.
<Afina> Forever.