News:

"The truth is stranger than fiction, but not stranger than fanfiction."

Main Menu

DM Nagging: It's pretty much my job

Started by Anastasia, April 12, 2018, 12:35:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anastasia

Okay, the rest of that's in the todo list in the medium term category. It's a lot of work and isn't urgent, so I'm punting it until I'm more on top of my work load.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Anastasia

The answer will also be in loot so I can find them later if I need to, without doing board wide searches.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Also because loot needs more posts, don't you think?
<Afina> Forever.

Nephrite

Just for the sake of record-keeping, we had 231 of 777 of Calley's notes in Io, Moore currently has 240 pending whatever Seira got from Oghma.

Anastasia

Quote from: Nephrite on June 16, 2019, 07:24:36 PM
Just for the sake of record-keeping, we had 231 of 777 of Calley's notes in Io, Moore currently has 240 pending whatever Seira got from Oghma.

Thanks for the refresher, that's handy.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

Quote from: Anastasia on June 16, 2019, 06:03:33 PM
Quote from: Corwin on June 16, 2019, 11:29:49 AM
Incidentally, Kascha has the following on her sheet. We should plant them!

[Misc]Black Rose Seeds: These seeds are for black roses said to be native to the Deep Ethereal plane. Grow them and who knows what magic they'll have.

Got anyone in your node who has any related skills for this or magic to help?

...we have several deities and archmages and a literal heaven, how hard can it be? If knowledge checks of 103 won't tell us what to do and a random high level faithful with a maxed-out gardening hobby wouldn't be enough, I'll ask Chauntea for tips.
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Anastasia

Less that and more checking if you have anything exceptional north noting, Cor.

Gimme a roll of 1d100 with a +30 bonus. You're hoping to roll high here.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Clarified Imix's Desiccating Aura to read more clearly and elaborate on how the Spellcraft check interacts with water spells, as well as made it more consistent.

Imix's Desiccating Aura
Abjuration/Transmutation
Level: Sor/Wiz 11
Components: V, S, F
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: 10ft/level
Area: 10ft/level radius emanation, centered on you
Duration: 1 min/level
Saving Throw: Fortitude partial; see text
Spell Resistance: No

This spell banishes water and other liquids within its area. Liquids of all types are dried up within the range of this spell (save for bodily fluids or other liquids inside of a creature) instantly. Creatures made of water, such as a water elemental, find this aura devastating. They suffer 20d6 points of damage per round they are within the aura. A successful Fortitude save halves the damage taken each round. Water can enter the area of this spell but is instantly evaporated.

Additionally, spells and spell-like abilities with the water descriptor are almost impossible to cast within the range of the spell, or to come into the range of the spell. The caster must succeed on a Spellcraft check to do so with a DC equal to the spell's caster level + 20, otherwise the spell fails or is instantly dried on coming into the range of the spell.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

More exceptional than the goddess of nature on call for advice?  :)

07:12 <Seira> roll 1d100+30
07:12 <Penuche> Seira invokes Penuche's magic: < 57 > [d100=27]

Anastasia

Any comments on this final draft, Cor? Also, paste me the material component for it?

The demiplane note is a crazy catchall for certain situations. I'm not sure if they'll ever come up in this game, but it's the sort of spell that needs to be explicit due to how it worked out. Also not written is that this wouldn't help you against the will of Kossuth or one of the other elemental lords, but I assume that's obvious. Anyway, with bases covered, here it is.

Cauldron's Hearth
Transmutation
Level: Clr 10, Sor/Wiz 10
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Target: Creature touched
Duration: 1 round/level
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance No

Through the blessings of the Cauldron, your magic is bolstered by elemental harmony. Your spells ignore the impeded magic trait of the Inner Planes, including quasi and para elemental planes. Conditions that block spells with the air, earth, fire and water descriptors can be ignored, as follows. Local conditions that would stop, impede or otherwise interfere with those spells are ignored. Spells that would prevent those spells from being cast, such as a spell that prevents fire spells from being cast within its area, are ignored.

This protection does not extend to a spell being countered. Antimagic and dead magic areas still suppress these spells as normal. Certain demiplanes may also overcome this due to the unique mechanics around demiplanes.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

QuoteMaterial Components

Cauldron steel mined personally by Yandrazrt, of no less than 1,000 gold value.

Basically a soft DRM. It's not a secret spell, but you better either have the epic no material components spell, or have decent relations with us.

I think the phrasing is okay, and if gameplay reveals something unexpected it can always be changed now. Nicely done~

Corwin

So I was talking to Dune about Prismatics, and this is a draft of how I envision the transformation to be. No actual writeup so far, just the mechanics. Technically written with dragons in mind, but I'm not sure it should be locked to dragons. The alignment is also something I'm not sure about. Anyway, Dune wanted me to post the draft so here it is.

Prismatic Dragon Template

Size, Type and Speed

The base creature's size and speed are unchanged. The base creature's type becomes Dragon.

Spell-like abilities: At will-Hypnotic pattern, rainbow pattern. 3/day-prismatic sphere, prismatic wall, sunbeam, sunburst. Caster level equal to the chromatic dragon's hit dice. The save DCs are charisma based.

Breath Weapon (Su): A prismatic dragon has two breath weapons. One is a prismatic spray in the shape of a cone. This cone is as normal for a dragon of its size, not the size of the spell. The second is known as the Fivefold Breath. Five separate breath weapons are exhaled at once, each one matching that of a chromatic dragon. Each breath weapon uses d8s and deals damage equal to one half of the chromatic dragon's hit dice. The save DCs are constitution based.

Immune to Light and Blindness (Ex): Prismatic dragons cannot be harmed by any light, including spells with the light descriptor, searing light, and the various prismatic (sphere, spray, wall) spells. In addition, they are immune to any spell or effect that causes blindness.

Immune to sleep and paralysis effects (Ex)

Deflecting Force (Su): A prismatic dragon is protected by a shield of shimmering light similar to a cloak of chaos that provides a deflection bonus to its AC. The deflection bonus is equal to the dragon's Charisma bonus.

Damage Reduction (Ex): A prismatic dragon's damage reduction can be bypassed by epic, adamantine weapons that are colorless.

Regeneration (Ex): A prismatic dragon takes lethal damage from attacks that penetrate its damage reduction.

Abilities

Increase from the base creature as follows: Int +4, Wis +4, Cha +4.

Alignment

Always good.

Level Adjustment

+4

Ebiris

If it's just for dragons then breaking up the SLA list so they're unlocked by age category might be in keeping with the theme? Definitely don't think the alignment is warranted given Tiamat and Baleruk as examples, and there's nothing fundamentally 'good' themed about any of the abilities.

Corwin

Yeah, it was basically me being undecided on whether it'd be prismatic creatures or prismatic dragons. Though dragons do make everything better, clearly, so I'm leaning towards them. As for the alignment, I was thinking of a sort of prerequisite, like climbing Celestia to understand its secrets, but it's not really working for me that well. I'll just have to be nice to those who take it and get them to be nice back the mundane way.

Anastasia

That would probably be best if you're not feeling that aspect and it doesn't fit, yeah.
<Afina> Forever.