News:

Because we're grown ups now, and its our turn to decide what that means.

Main Menu

DM Nagging: It's pretty much my job

Started by Anastasia, April 12, 2018, 12:35:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iron Dragoon

Quote from: Anastasia on July 11, 2019, 03:11:37 AM
The problem with feedback is getting out of the habit makes it hard to start again. Replies encouraged, as that helps me feel like the feedback is worthwhile and thus want to do more. This is going to be whatever I feel like commenting on rather than tightly focused, just to get the creative juices flowing.

---

Alyssa

I admit, the ha naga and slab idea was an idea I liked. If you ever watched the old 80s Ducktales cartoon, the series starts with a five part story about Scrooge and the boys searching for a lost city of gold. When they finally find it, it's in a valley with huge circular medallions of gold set into the slope of the valley and in a few other places. Like giant medallions of gold dozens of feet tall and wide, probably enough gold to retire on for seven generations per medallion. Something about that's stuck in the back of my head all these years, and it finally inspired a particular set piece. (Sorry that the tablets aren't made of tons of gold.)

Meanderings about my sources of inspiration aside, I think Alyssa's transfer to a new domain went well. There's a lot of fiddly establishment stuff that's mostly off screen bait, as we're fundamentally avoiding getting too far into Sim Realm territory, but I'm enjoying it in broad strokes. Combine that with todos and there's plenty going on there and plenty more to come. There's potential here for sure as Alyssa continues to grow and develop, as well as set her sights higher and higher.

Nodewise, I feel everyone's settled in well. I'm still feeling out how Bastian and Dolmaya settle into the node, but each person has a defined personality that works well. Dolmaya's the trickiest while Bastian was a smooth, easy fit. In particular, I'm feeling out the edges of Dolmaya's personality and how it interacts. She has a few things going on and right now I'm sorting it all out. She's very much a work in progress.

Dolmaya aside, I really like how Jarem's settled in, as well as Emily and Ianvasah. The core of the node feels strong and that people in the node know each other well now. Bastian in particular has added shades that work well to help develop a few others - Jarem really needed another guy to bounce off of.

Yeah, this whole realm building thing was interesting the first go-around, but now I'm back at square one and damn I wanna start doing real stuff. It'll come, but man. Bastian I really like since he adds that POV of the darker side of things that the others just don't deal with. Emily couldn't stand having a conversation with his contacts, Ianvasah is anti-social, Dolmaya is too aloof, and Jarem is just battlefield minded. Jarem could do it, but not with the finesse that Bastian can.

Dolmaya's going to be interesting, I hope. I imagine there's going to be conflict with her and Alyssa giving orders, but it is what it is. We'll see how things develop.

I'm trying to keep the whole school/training thing tied into stuff; the thing with Alihana and the planning is an example, but it's a matter of getting things done.
This is not the greatest post in the world, no... this is just a tribute.

Anastasia

Quote from: Iron Dragoon on July 11, 2019, 07:09:19 PMYeah, this whole realm building thing was interesting the first go-around, but now I'm back at square one and damn I wanna start doing real stuff. It'll come, but man.

We had a good conversation about something like that on IRC, so we'll see how that goes.

QuoteBastian I really like since he adds that POV of the darker side of things that the others just don't deal with. Emily couldn't stand having a conversation with his contacts, Ianvasah is anti-social, Dolmaya is too aloof, and Jarem is just battlefield minded. Jarem could do it, but not with the finesse that Bastian can.

Jarem could hack it I think, or at least the same kind of contacts. He has mentioned getting along well enough with devils serving the Red Knight. Completely agree with the other assessments, though. None of them have the right personality set to deal with some of the people Bastian does.

QuoteDolmaya's going to be interesting, I hope. I imagine there's going to be conflict with her and Alyssa giving orders, but it is what it is. We'll see how things develop.

I'm trying to keep the whole school/training thing tied into stuff; the thing with Alihana and the planning is an example, but it's a matter of getting things done.

Dolmaya's interesting as I play her more and get an idea of where she's going. It'll take time but I'm sanding off the edges and feeling where she's taking me.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Corwin

I think I'm going with SDA: Extra Domain (Fire).
And I'd like to choose Fire Devotion since both the domain granted power and those spells are all terrible.  >_>

Incidentally, what feats are there to increase Fire spell CL or DCs? I'm using Draconic Aura (Energy: Fire), but is there something equivalent to Spell Focus except for Fire spells? Or maybe a Reserve feat for fire that gives a CL bonus, like Holy Warrior does for Force spells?
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Anastasia

Divine gifts got a small update, changes in bold.

4. Ability score boosts have special rules. A mortal cannot benefit from more than a +2 total gain to ability scores from deities per 10 levels (+2 at 1-10, +4 at 11-20, ect). This limit is raised by two for a deity rewarding their servants and worshipers. Going past this tends to lead to permanent hit point loss and possibly death, as the mortal simply isn't able to withstand it. Each gift can only raise an ability score by at most two.

These had come up a few times now, and each time gigantic ability score boosts were unpalatable to me. In retrospect I think I assumed more restraint would be used or didn't properly appreciate it. So I'm going to hardwire this into the rules, rather than coming with more situations where it's proposed and I choke on a huge bonus to ability scores. I generally don't raise stats by divine gifts more than +2 as it is and that's worked well, so I'm going to go ahead and codify that as a rule. In retrospect I should've built this in, but it was definitely a case of DM side short sightedness. As the DM, I'm always thinking about game balance and how everything factors out and makes sense together.

(Oberuth's particular situation was unrelated to that. After what happened with the Fairest Star, he wasn't going to accept any sort of gift right after. That's purely an RP related reason rather than anything mechanical.)
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

QuoteMy only issue I suppose is I don't feel as much chemistry between Alicia and Syala and Antenora and Marie. I think part of it is the post format makes things less snappy and natural when it comes to dialogue, but also the big nature of the stuff that's happening and the pace of the game means there's less 'just goofing around' stuff going on which is where the character dynamics would usually shine.

The more I think about this, the more I think you're onto something. Letting characters flow is a little harder with the slower nature of post gaming. As such, I'm considering doing some extremely limited (read as: purely fluff and character development) sessions on IRC at some point. More on this later, but it would be one on one things outside of normal gaming time.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

Chasing Perfection is 4 levels above singular ability buff spells like Fox's Cunning, so would it logically follow that a spell collecting all 6 of Surru's dragon princess spells be lvl12?

Nephrite

Moore

This is a little dated, but the biggest recent event for Moore is overcoming anathemic knowledge. Worlds are powerful things as shown by things such as the Fairest Star and the tarrasque, so using that to help power past the cosmic level information override makes a decent amount of sense to me. Regardless, it's good to see a long term goal like that come through. While not dangerous or even pressing, it was a hard thing to overcome and took a lot of work, thought and time to get past. Congratulations.

Beyond that, I feel like your node's found its groove. There's a sense of companionship with everyone, each person having a distinct personality and perspective on things. Cresiel shines here and often does much with relatively little, while Kaja has his own position and Jetina anchors the party with a lighter perspective. Xandra feels somewhat above it all at times, but that fits who she is and what she does. One could say she's often distracted by things beyond normal vision, at least to how I feel she plays at times. I feel like if nothing else, she emotes directly less than others, giving her a sense of reserve.

Incidentally, I use Villisa sparingly, but I feel she works best when used sparingly. She's the sort of character who can easily go from amusing to irritating depending solely on how much screentime she gets.

I feel like your node's relationships feel a little harder to define than Alicia's, though there's a lot more time in those relationships so that's likely just a consequence of that. Another point is that I can feel and sense what it's like, but finding the exact words eludes me at times. To me, your node is a feeling, a way of certain words being said between NPCs and perspectives. I dunno. I'm trying to pin the right words here and it's tough. Almost like there's a sense of etherealness to them all, or perhaps they're ever so slightly in the light already.

Perhaps all of that is merely a consequence of being close to the light of Chronias. Every person in your node quietly works with that in their own way, and often the revelations from it defy words.

I've had some time to consider a reply to all of this.

I've long since stopped trying to compare individual node accomplishments with anything going on in the other sections -- so something like anathemic knowledge, which was a personal goal of his started in B3, was a great accomplishment for him. No, it didn't have any sort of impact really outside of his own group, but for him it was a big deal. It's also seemed to have a bit of a ripple effect with other things, which is really interesting to see.

I appreciate the fact that the node is a group of people who are like-minded for the most part, but have very unique goals and desires. Kaja's idea of Chronias isn't the same as Cresiel's, and so on and so forth. They don't have the years of bonding that come from the B1 nodes, but it seems like everyone would naturally gravitate towards each other anyway. Kaja is perhaps the "odd" one out, but that's his personality. He's the only dragon archetype in the group, which is actually fun to see, since as it has been said, Kaja could've taken a much different path in his life, or even after his recovery, and I think that's an interesting story to tell.

As for the node's relationships, to try and define them is indeed hard, but I think a lot of that comes from the fact that everyone in the group isn't... mm... grounded in facts, so much? I guess that's the way I feel about it. Everyone has hope, everyone has thoughtfulness, that sort of thing. There's a lot of "just do the right thing" mentality for the group so that even if everyone is a little different in terms of what those goals and how to get there is, they can see the good they're all doing together.

Anastasia

Quote from: Anastasia on July 12, 2019, 11:25:19 PM
QuoteMy only issue I suppose is I don't feel as much chemistry between Alicia and Syala and Antenora and Marie. I think part of it is the post format makes things less snappy and natural when it comes to dialogue, but also the big nature of the stuff that's happening and the pace of the game means there's less 'just goofing around' stuff going on which is where the character dynamics would usually shine.

The more I think about this, the more I think you're onto something. Letting characters flow is a little harder with the slower nature of post gaming. As such, I'm considering doing some extremely limited (read as: purely fluff and character development) sessions on IRC at some point. More on this later, but it would be one on one things outside of normal gaming time.

I'll be quietly poking people to try these and see how they go. This should take place over the next week or two and we'll see how it is.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on July 13, 2019, 12:36:26 PM
Chasing Perfection is 4 levels above singular ability buff spells like Fox's Cunning, so would it logically follow that a spell collecting all 6 of Surru's dragon princess spells be lvl12?

Something like that. I'd have to check precisely how chasing perfection stacks up, but that sounds about right.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Nephrite on July 14, 2019, 12:52:33 PM
Moore

This is a little dated, but the biggest recent event for Moore is overcoming anathemic knowledge. Worlds are powerful things as shown by things such as the Fairest Star and the tarrasque, so using that to help power past the cosmic level information override makes a decent amount of sense to me. Regardless, it's good to see a long term goal like that come through. While not dangerous or even pressing, it was a hard thing to overcome and took a lot of work, thought and time to get past. Congratulations.

Beyond that, I feel like your node's found its groove. There's a sense of companionship with everyone, each person having a distinct personality and perspective on things. Cresiel shines here and often does much with relatively little, while Kaja has his own position and Jetina anchors the party with a lighter perspective. Xandra feels somewhat above it all at times, but that fits who she is and what she does. One could say she's often distracted by things beyond normal vision, at least to how I feel she plays at times. I feel like if nothing else, she emotes directly less than others, giving her a sense of reserve.

Incidentally, I use Villisa sparingly, but I feel she works best when used sparingly. She's the sort of character who can easily go from amusing to irritating depending solely on how much screentime she gets.

I feel like your node's relationships feel a little harder to define than Alicia's, though there's a lot more time in those relationships so that's likely just a consequence of that. Another point is that I can feel and sense what it's like, but finding the exact words eludes me at times. To me, your node is a feeling, a way of certain words being said between NPCs and perspectives. I dunno. I'm trying to pin the right words here and it's tough. Almost like there's a sense of etherealness to them all, or perhaps they're ever so slightly in the light already.

Perhaps all of that is merely a consequence of being close to the light of Chronias. Every person in your node quietly works with that in their own way, and often the revelations from it defy words.

I've had some time to consider a reply to all of this.

I've long since stopped trying to compare individual node accomplishments with anything going on in the other sections -- so something like anathemic knowledge, which was a personal goal of his started in B3, was a great accomplishment for him. No, it didn't have any sort of impact really outside of his own group, but for him it was a big deal. It's also seemed to have a bit of a ripple effect with other things, which is really interesting to see.

I appreciate the fact that the node is a group of people who are like-minded for the most part, but have very unique goals and desires. Kaja's idea of Chronias isn't the same as Cresiel's, and so on and so forth. They don't have the years of bonding that come from the B1 nodes, but it seems like everyone would naturally gravitate towards each other anyway. Kaja is perhaps the "odd" one out, but that's his personality. He's the only dragon archetype in the group, which is actually fun to see, since as it has been said, Kaja could've taken a much different path in his life, or even after his recovery, and I think that's an interesting story to tell.

As for the node's relationships, to try and define them is indeed hard, but I think a lot of that comes from the fact that everyone in the group isn't... mm... grounded in facts, so much? I guess that's the way I feel about it. Everyone has hope, everyone has thoughtfulness, that sort of thing. There's a lot of "just do the right thing" mentality for the group so that even if everyone is a little different in terms of what those goals and how to get there is, they can see the good they're all doing together.

I do agree with focusing on your own node and goals. I think that's a healthy way to look at things, so you don't undermine your own successes. The grass is always greener on the other side and that can get someone into a bad spot.

That being said, I'd agree by and large with what you said. I'd say it's less about the facts for them and more that they believe in certain facts that are transcendent to them. Everyone in your node is a true believer, genuinely committed towards the goals of Celestia and lawful good. To a degree this overwrites certain things on the grounds of principles rather than anything else.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

Quote from: Corwin on June 16, 2019, 11:11:53 AM
Spoiler: ShowHide

Purifications! What are the quests for these EVIL items?

Inevitable: This ring was worn by Agares, appearing as a wide band of dead gray metal that slowly twists into nothing as it loops around, ending just before it finishes making the ring, leaving a tiny gap in it. Any time a creature deals lethal damage to the wearer, they must make a DC 30 will save. Failure deals 18 points of damage, the wearer healing the same amount minus 1. In addition, it grants a +2 profane bonus to armor class and saving throws. [Inevitable radiates strong evil.]

Todesurteil: This lantern sheds life draining green light in a thirty foot radius. Each round a being is exposed to it, they suffer one point of vile consitution drain. This can only be healed by a Restoration spell cast in a sanctified area.

Sorrowful Sword: Large greatsword+6. Any damage this blade deals is vile damage. As a swift action, you may attempt to absorb a spell cast on you into the blade. Make an opposed caster level check, the sword has a modifier of 1d20+33. Success absorbs and negates the spell, failure has the spell unaffected. 350,000 gold.

Dead Moons: 2 chakrams+6, unholy and returning. When both chakrams strike the creature, a delayed blast fireball modified by the corrupt spell metamagic is cast (CL24th), centered on where the creature stands.  The thrower of Dead Moons is immune to this fireball. 287,500 gold.

Nightfall: Bracers of Armor+14. Grants a +2 profane bonus to the caster level of spells from the evil domain. 280,000 gold.

Decursing! Here my intent is to request Legend Lore (the long version), along with divine power'd creator and last owner names, and if possible the name of the person/being who cursed them.

Qualles: This cloak of elvenkind grants a +15 competence bonus to Stealth checks and a +6 enhancement bonus to Dexterity. When worn by an elf, they gain a +2 bonus to Dexterity (stacks with the enhancement bonus), a +2 to attack rolls with long swords or longbows and a +5 bonus to saves against enchantment spells and effects. However, Qualles is cursed. Any who wear it suffer 4d10 damage per round and are nauseated (no save). As it is cursed, no price is provided.

Star Shot: Longbow+5, anarchic. Gains the ghost touch, holy and keen properties under star light or in the hands of a star elf. Star Shot is cursed. Whenever an arrow is fired from it, one of the wielder's fingers are sliced away by the razor sharp bowstring. This deals 3d10 damage as well as results in the loss of a finger. A DC 20 Dexterity check avoids this fate. This check must be repeated for each arrow and any result of a natural 1 always fails this check, no matter how the total. As it is cursed, no price is provided.

Star Sword: Longsword+5, holy. Gains the ghost touch, keen and frost properties under star light or in the hands of a star elf. Star Sword is cursed. Any attack with it has a 25% chance to strike an adjacent ally instead. If there is no adjacent allies, the attack instead targets the wielder. As it is cursed, no price is provided.

Reforging. Technically somewhere between purification and remaking an item, perhaps at a loss. I'm wondering whether I could do it for these items (via Elle or a deity with Create Artifact) since Amaryl thinks they're icky but I can see ways to twist the underlying concept into cool items she'd use.

[Storage]Bowl of Lost Treasures: This bowl can steal treasures from up to ten creatures at once. It steals the magic item the creature values the most (as if by a Soul's Treasure Lost spell), except they are absorbed into the bowl rather than being destroyed. With the proper command word, objects absorbed by the bowl can be freed from it.

[Storage]Shadowbond Ring: Grants a +1 bonus to caster level to spells that draw on shadows, such as shadow evocation.

Could I get the short version, please?

Anastasia

This is a DM work day. As such I will be doing DM work. If you have something you want done, say so, but check my todo list first. If it's on there, you don't need to mention it. If it's medium or lower priority and you think it should be done today, speak up and I'll see. If you have anything new, make a post about it in loot or nagging (as appropriate) and I'll see to it.

Do not PM me on IRC with more things to do. I will mostly be focusing my energies on the board, and I do not want to get sidetracked into PMs. I'm trying to be productive today and IRC is the opposite of that at times.
<Afina> Forever.

Nephrite

Please review our current node funds and see if there are any purchases we could make for folks. Also, I believe we're due for a delivery from Jovar.

Anastasia

Cresiel could use a ring of protection, a cloak of resistance and basically anything to bolster his casting. Suggestions?

Xandra should upgrade her ring of defense and get some sort of casting booster. A ring of arcane might may make sense.

Kaja could use a save booster but he's pretty well set up.

Jetina basically all of the above except deflection/resistance.

That sound about right?
<Afina> Forever.

Nephrite

I am really bad when it comes to actual item ideas, but surely a "ring of protection that gives a +1 CL to Divine spells" can't be impossible to make.

It'd be neat if Xandra could get something unique for Warmages, maybe I can work on some sort of custom item for her and run it by you?

I'd argue Kaja and Jetina would be best served with like, Superior Resistance or something.