News:

I have a dream that one day, men will be punched in the face not for the color of their skin, but for the awful content of their character.

Main Menu

DM Nagging: It's pretty much my job

Started by Anastasia, April 12, 2018, 12:35:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anastasia

<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Anastasia

So Luneli went from notes to a full sheet, thanks to fighting with Seira. His gimmick is being good at charges, getting extra attacks with lightning mace* and using bard song to back himself up. He has various bardic tricks to support him, though he lacks bardic spellcasting. Nonetheless, WoC + bardic music gives him tons of boosts and plenty to work with.  As a proxy he gets an SDA, so supreme init lets him go first and control the pace of the battle.

* The normal 19-20 maximum you'd expect in 3.5. The ways to possibly break it are two fold: Disciple of Dispater, which relies on being a 3.0 class and thus I consider invalid, or a weapon property in the ToB. You know, the one book I banned outright. Funny how that works out. It's still an incredibly good feat and possibly broken anyway, but that at least tones down the carnage.

Anyway, his sheet is below. This isn't 100% polished yet, but assuming he doesn't die horribly in this adventure I'll make up a final sheet for C&M.

Luneli, Proxy of Selune

Size/Type: Medium Outsider (Chaotic, Good)
Hit Dice: 35d10+280 (630 hp)
Divine Rank: 0
Initiative: +14; always goes first
Speed: 60ft, fly 200ft (perfect)
Armor Class: 80 (+10 dex, +21 armor, +8 insight, +1 ws, +21 natural, +9 deflection)
Base Attack/CMB/CMD: +35/+47/85
Attack: Pride+64 (1d12+31 plus 2d6 moonfire plus 6d6 on crit 19-20 x4)
Full Attack: Pride+64/+59/+54/+49 (1d12+31 plus 2d6 moonfire plus 6d6 on crit 19-20 x4) and Place+64/+59/+54/+49 (1d12+31 plus 2d6 moonfire plus 6d6 on crit 19-20 x4) plus possible two weapon rend (1d12+37) plus possible sonic finale (8d6 plus deafening)
Space/Reach: 5ft/5ft
Special Attacks: -
Special Qualities: Damage reduction 10/epic, spell resistance 50, fast healing 3, bonded armor (+8), inspire courage(+8), countersong, fascinate, inspire competence, mass suggestion, inspire greatness, song of freedom, inspire heroics, bardic knowledge, evasion, improved uncanny dodge, divine traits.
Saves: Fort +34, Ref +30, Will +27
Abilities: Str 34, Dex 30, Con 26, Int 25, Wis 25, Cha 28
Skills: Acrobatics+50, Bluff+47, Diplomacy+47, Intimidate+47, Knowledge(All)+47, Perception+47, Perform(Dance)+49, Perform(Song)+49, Sense Motive+47   
Feats: Combat Reflexes(1), Song of the Heart(B1), Weapon Focus(Light Mace)(F1), Two-Weapon Fighting(H), Power Attack(F2), Words of Creation(B2), Lightning Mace(3), Extra Music(B4), Weapon Specialization(Light Mace)(F4), Improved Initiative(6), Improved Two-Weapon Fighting(F6), Inspire Spellpower(B7), Melee Weapon Mastery(Bludgeoning)(9) Ironskin Chant(B10), Improved Critical(Light Mace)(F10), Greater Two-Weapon Fighting(12), Greater Weapon Focus(Light Mace)(F12), Extra Music(B13), Greater Weapon Specialization(Light Mace)(F14), Moon Devotion(15), Extra Music(B16), Crushing Strike(F16), Caroling Moon(18), Weapon Supremacy(Light Mace)(F18), Two-Weapon Pounce(F20)
Epic Feats: Music of the Gods(21), Epic Weapon Focus(Light Mace)(F22), Lasting Inspiration(B23), Fast Healing(24), Epic Weapon Specialization(Light Mace)(F24), Epic Inspiration(B26), Perfect Two-Weapon Fighting(F26), Devastating Critical(Light Mace)(27), Two-Weapon Rend(F28), Ranged Inspiration(B29), Overwhelming Critical(Light Mace)(30), Dire Charge(F30), Deafening Song(B32), Epic Prowess(F32), Sonic Finale(33), Epic Prowess(F34), Inspire Excellence(B35)
Salient Divine Abilities: Supreme Initiative
Alignment: Chaotic Exalted

Gear:
Spoiler: ShowHide

Pride and Place

These adamantine light maces+9, moonfire and valorous are engraved with a full moon on the grips. When used together and by a wielder who has the perfect two-weapon fighting feat, they negate the -2 penalty for fighting with two weapons. These maces deal a base of 1d12 damage and the critical hit multiplier is x3, this is the result of epic skill usages of craft (weaponsmithing).

Moonglow

When worn by a creature who is not bonded to this armor (as by the bonded armor alternate class feature for fightings), this armor is mithral full plate+3. When worn by a creature bonded to this armor, Moonglow is instead mithral full plate armor+10 that has no maximum dexterity cap, no armor check penalty and no arcane spell failure. The wearer's insight bonus to armor class from bonded armor also rises by 3. Finally, the base armor bonus of this armor is 3 higher than usual as a result of epic skill usages of craft (armorsmithing)

Luneli also wears a crescent moon amulet that functions as an amulet of natural armor+6, as well as a silver ring that grants him a +2 bonus to all skill checks.

Custom Material:
Spoiler: ShowHide

Caroling Moon [General]
Prerequisite: Bardic Music, Moon Devotion
Benefit: Two times per day when under the effect of moon devotion, you may use a bardic music that normally takes a standard action as a swift action instead.

Sonic Finale [Epic]
Prerequisite: Two-Weapon Rend, Deafening Song
Benefit: When you successfully rend a creature with your two-weapon rend feat, you can choose to expend a daily use of bardic music. If you do, the rending creates a sonic boom which deals 1d6 points sonic damage per four character levels to all enemies within 30ft. Additionally, creatures damaged must make a Fortitude save (DC 10 + 1/2 hit dice + Charisma modifier) or be deafened for 1 round.

Notes: [spoiler]

On an attack that is a critical threat, Luneli gets an extra attack regardless of anything else. 

Luneli gets two attacks on a charge, one with each weapon, but without the bonus to attacks from a charge. He deals triple damage on a charge thanks to valorous weapons and dire charge.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

<Afina> Forever.

Yuthirin

QuoteTryll

First of all, I don't know if you having Fridays off was your idea, a work thing or merely pure chance. Nonetheless, I want to say one thing about that: Thank you. It's awesome having you around more to game.

That being said, I'm enjoying the current storyline quite a lot. I like seeing Tryll try to find the truth of the irrigo, this has been a long running mystery for him. He's in a position to ask questions of entities that should know, as well as ones who have a fair reason to answer him, or at least not bullshit him if they won't answer. Here's hoping that how it works out is interesting and engaging for all of us.

Tryll's node is the most challenging to work with. Most of this is simply the rate of posting, which can make those sort of runs where you really spend an hour or two in a character's mind and get flowing rarer. That aside though, Dana is absolutely the big personality in the node and I feel other personalities either orbit her or struggle to stand out against her.  This isn't a bad thing by itself, Dana has a strong, distinct voice and this is a point in her favor. It tends to tamp down Miranda a lot, who was envisioned to have more out spokenness, but tends to be preempted by Dana. Likewise, it tends to slot Benyen into a particular role, though I feel he stands out better with his personality.

Let me say I don't think it's a bad thing by itself to have the node's personalities orbit around Dana. She's that sort of person and has a particular personality that gets attention. It can be a challenge to properly develop characters in her orbit, something I'm continuing to work on. I like Dana as long as she keeps the bitchiness within reasonable bounds.
The nature of my inability to post on most days is a monster of my own making. I have a bad habit of staying up late and sleeping until the last possible minute. As such, I will often either post once I get to work or not post at all until I get home. I'm aware of the problem and am taking steps to correct it, but I like my evenings dammit.

As for characters standing out, Tryll and Calleigh tend to be more reactionary. I like to envision Tryll as a part of myself, in this case the more calm and rational part that I tend not gto get to use because HAHA MY LIFE but I feel like Dana does overshadow both himself and others. Usually this doesn't bother me. When it does, you can expect Calleigh to make trouble in any way she can. She's a good outlet for it.

Learning about the irrigo has been good as well. I had preconceptions that have been blown away and honestly the Selune thing was hilarious.
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Yuthirin

What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Anastasia

<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Yuthirin on July 28, 2019, 09:49:43 PMThe nature of my inability to post on most days is a monster of my own making. I have a bad habit of staying up late and sleeping until the last possible minute. As such, I will often either post once I get to work or not post at all until I get home. I'm aware of the problem and am taking steps to correct it, but I like my evenings dammit.

I mean...I'll level with you. I really want you around more, but I also understand 100%. Personal time's precious and I'm the same way about my mornings. I had to give up a slice of them when Cor wanted to start at 11 30 AM EST. I do it for the sake of it working best, but it still gets me at times (and also sometimes has conflicts since it's cutting into todo time for me, but that's inevitable and was noted when this started). Nothing against Cor or anyone, it's just my quiet time and that's important to me, you know? So I get it.

QuoteAs for characters standing out, Tryll and Calleigh tend to be more reactionary. I like to envision Tryll as a part of myself, in this case the more calm and rational part that I tend not gto get to use because HAHA MY LIFE but I feel like Dana does overshadow both himself and others. Usually this doesn't bother me. When it does, you can expect Calleigh to make trouble in any way she can. She's a good outlet for it.

It's funny with Dana being a lot of the strong heart of this node, it wasn't planned but it's been a thing, no two ways about it.

QuoteLearning about the irrigo has been good as well. I had preconceptions that have been blown away and honestly the Selune thing was hilarious.

Oh, would you mind going into detail? I'm curious.
<Afina> Forever.

Yuthirin

Quote from: Anastasia on July 28, 2019, 09:58:53 PMOh, would you mind going into detail? I'm curious.
I was thinking of having Tryll follow Selune around at one point going NOTICE ME SENPAI but now it's sorta weird.

Anastasia

That or it's now even more suitable. Just change it to NOTICE ME MOM.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Okay, check this out. It's from how avatars are maintained.

An avatar is a lesson powerful version of a deity, created by modifying the deity's statistics, which has the following characteristics. An avatar has divine rank 0, which reduces the various bonuses the avatar gains based on divine rank. The avatar retains access to the deity's salient divine abilities, but the DCs and other factors related to divine rank are adjusted to divine rank 0. The avatar continues to have access to alter reality, but at demigod level, no matter the divine rank of the actual deity. The avatar retains the deity's spell-like abilities, divine aura and abilities granted it from its domains. In the event divine rank 0 would render any divine ability unusable, such as by having zero uses per day, the avatar cannot use that ability.

An avatar has copies of the deity's signature equipment. Such equipment is reduced in power by approximately half. Enchantment bonuses are halved, special properties are reduced or lost and so forth. The exact adjustments vary and are left to the deity's discretion. A deity can make different choices with different avatars. In any case, these copies are little more than shadows tied to the avatar. They vanish if separated from the avatar for more than one hour (unless the deity chooses to loan them to a worshiper, in which case they last until returned) and reappear in the deity's divine realm.

---

The divine rank 0 part is fine. The copies of equipment is being a problem in general, and I think I might like to tweak this to be more streamlined. Thoughts? I've done some work with avatars and it tends to add an extra layer of effort. This is fine if I'm working up an enemy avatar, but as more NPCs gain divine rank, that means a greater and greater workload.
<Afina> Forever.

Ebiris

I'm okay with tweaking it. I often forget to update Alicia's avatar when Alicia's gear changes... although I guess you have to define what counts as signature actually, like Alicia's ring of wizardry isn't really anything I'd consider iconic to her, and she only got it recently.

Anastasia

Quote from: Ebiris on July 29, 2019, 07:05:29 PM
I'm okay with tweaking it. I often forget to update Alicia's avatar when Alicia's gear changes... although I guess you have to define what counts as signature actually, like Alicia's ring of wizardry isn't really anything I'd consider iconic to her, and she only got it recently.

Yeah, that could stand to be tightened up as well, I think.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

I'm planning on giving my avatars their own key gear exactly because it's annoying to do this. Some of my gear is so good even at half strength that not being able to use it probably means I'd try to avoid using avatars whenever possible, though.
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Anastasia

* Anastasia nods.

Okay then, I'll make this a todo and see if I can clear an item off that list before session.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

This will get more work later, but here's the first draft of this.

Planar Coinages

A selection of interesting or noteworthy planar currencies. These focus on the gold piece level, rather than smaller coinages. In general, exact variations of coins are smoothed over for ease of play. While interesting, sorting out 20 different types of gold pieces in a dragon's hoard is also a time sink that can be used in better ways. This article goes past that assumption and into the actual coinages of Creation. Note that this article covers the gold piece equivalent in the currencies, other coins of varying values exist unless noted otherwise.

The size, purity of the gold, weight and other such things influence how much each coin is worth. Most mintages of any renown produce stable, reliable coins without variation.

This list is not exhaustive, rather a selection of coinages from the most common to several niche examples.

Foundational

A few coinages are the most common in Creation. As such they're discussed first since they influence other entries.

Rounds: The official name of mercane minted gold pieces, these are always worth precisely one gold coin. The front has the face of various famous mercane and the rear is stamped with either a stylized M or the particular trading house of mercane that was behind that particular mintage. These coins are made with precision and perfectly round, hence the name. They're almost always simply called gold pieces or gold. These are considered highly reliable and are often imitated.

Brightwater Golds: The name for coins minted in Brightwater. They're held to a similar standard as mercane coins and are considered reliable. These coins are small, thick circles that are easily grasped by the handful. They're always stamped with the image of the various deities of Brightwater. Sometimes called writs as well, but this is informal and can cause confusion with actual writs of credit issues in Brightwater.

Iron Tols: The gold coin of Dis, heavy and made of a dull gold mined in Dis. Notably heavy and worth 2.2 standard gold coins per Tol. These tend to turn up a lot because Dis is a big mercantile hub, and while some disdain them, the gold's generally safe. They're stamped with Dispater's face on one side and an image of a tower on the other.

Inner Planes

Air

Earth

Dominant

Grumbar's Gold: Grumbar himself cares little for coins and money, being absorbed in his duties as the high ruler of Earth. Nonetheless, coins in his name are distributed. Each is a heavy circle of gold worth 25 gold pieces, stamped on both sides with the mountainous holy symbol of Grumbar. It's worth noting that due to a miswritten decree, Grumbar's Gold is technically the only legal tender on Earth. However, Grumbar cares exactly nothing about it and allows the law to be ignored. As such, any responsible merchant on Earth has enough of Grumbar's Gold to cover any and all transactions, just in case.

Major

Stones: These pebbles are carefully crafted of solid gold and serve as Ogremoch's official coinage. Each one is measured to be worth exactly 3.5 gold pieces and is engraved with the image of Ogremoch on one side and stained gray on the bottom. They're notable for being minted over years, each pebble being carefully ground down and formed in vast caverns where gold deposits the size of kingdoms are carefully mined. At least that's the story that floats around about them, some claim the process is much more mundane.

Erdenes: This is the official gold coin of the dao, in the same make and style as golds. Each is worth 1 gold piece and is stamped with images of the Great Khan and the Great Dismal Delve. They are unremarkable except for one point, considered a stable currency. It it said when a new Great Khan rises to power, the images on ever Erdenes in Creation changes to match the new Khan.

Minor

Rubbles: The simple, cheap gold coin of the free masses in Earth, those who both wish for currency and are not rich enough afford many proper gold coins or similar. Rubbles are known for being tiny gold coins worth 0.2 gold pieces and with no stampings at all. Most reputable merchants will take rubbles only to melt them down for the value of the gold, and using one in any polite society in Earth is considered a tremendous social miscue. The last dao who did so was said to be disowned by his family for the scandal.

Gra'nal Boulders: These are not coins at all, yet are considered the monetary unit worth the most gold pieces per 'coin'. The currency of a large but reclusive tribe of stone giants who live on Earth, Gra'nal boulders are literally boulders made of pure gold. A single boulder is worth tens and tens of thousands of gold coins, to have a single one is to mark a giant as rich and prosperous. It is said that Gra'nal kings throw these boulders in battle, as purely a symbol of their massive wealth.

Fire

Delaar: The coin of the various free tribes of azer on Fire, delaar are modeled after rounds through time and cultural osmosis. However, each coin is set with a tiny fire ruby that makes the coins hot to the touch. As such, each delaar is worth anywhere from 15 to 25 gold pieces due to the gem embedded within.  While the azer can easily tell the value of every delaar, other creatures require appraisals for each and every coin. Often a handful of delaar may be mistaken as art by the untrained, or otherwise misunderstood. Unlike most coins, delaar are not stamped, as the fire ruby is considered sufficient by the azer.

Water

Para-Elemental Planes

Quasi-Elemental Planes

Outer Planes

Mount Celestia

Talents of Celestia: The coinage of Celestia. They rather resemble Rounds or Golds, save for being stamped with various holy symbols and holy verses. The value is exactly 1 gold piece for each coin. Save for what is stamped on them, the coins are decidedly forgettable and seem unimportant to the eye. Often though to be enchanted in some way, or otherwise affected by the Celestial gold they are made from. Fiends rarely accept them as tender, and as such, a fiend taking them is considered to be highly unusual or exceptionally greedy.

Bytopia

Elysium

Purple Stars: These coins are painted with at least one of the stars on Mystra's holy symbol. Bigger coins have more stars, with each star on it representing one gold piece in value. The values of Purple Stars range from one to seven gold pieces, and coins made of less or more precious materials have various markings to designate the proper value. Unlike in most realms, there is only one coin in Dweomerheart, but with many, many variations to it, like the Weave itself.

Currents: Currents are the coin of sea elves that live in the River Oceanus, mined from gold veins on the floor of the River Oceanus. These coins are heavy, with a normal coin being worth approximately 4 gold coins. Currents are often cut into halves, quarters or eights due to this. There's no central authority that mints these, so stampings and stylings vary wildly, but time has established the size and value of a current.

Beastlands

Arborea

Arcadia

Arcadian Sunrises: The dominant coin of Arcadia. Fairly unremarkable, this coin is pegged to the Talent of Celestia at a 1:1 exchange rate. These coins are standardized and come from three huge mints deep in Arcadia, with an image of the issuing mint on one side and either a sunrise or a notable celestial lord on the other. Unlike most coins, Sunrises are small squares rather than circles.

Ysgard

Sylican Stars: Sylica uses coinage identical to Dweomerheart.

Mechanus

Limbo

Bloodies: A rare thing indeed, these blood red gold coins a relatively uniform and stable slaad currency. They are minted by the Purple Flag, a sect of slaad who use a purple flag when they travel to trade. Each one is stamped with a purple flag on both sides and is worth 2 gold pieces. While many believe bloodies to be made of cursed gold or otherwise macabre, in truth it seems there is nothing magical or cursed about the gold at all. It is pure gold stained by an unknown factor, but it is known that slaad find the coins unappetizing and disgusting.

Acheron

Pandemonium

Baator

Hands: The translated name of the gold coin of Minauros, each coin is small but extremely thick, worth 3 gold pieces each. They are stamped with Mammon's face on both sides and given a finish that makes them always shine. While somewhat eclipsed by Iron Tols in recent times, these coins are considered reliable and are seen across the planes. The shine of these coins particularly allures dragons for reasons unknown and are often found in even the hoards of less discerning metallic dragons.

Gehenna

Hades

Carceri

The Abyss

Misc Holding since I haven't done transitive planes yet.

Cauldron Golds: The Cauldron uses coinage identical to Brightwater.
<Afina> Forever.