News:

"With great power comes the opportunity to abuse that power."

Main Menu

DM Nagging: It's pretty much my job

Started by Anastasia, April 12, 2018, 12:35:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nephrite

Question: Does making someone a proxy shine a big old spotlight on them if they go to someone else's divine realm, or if they're out in the outer planes in general?

Corwin

Quote from: Anastasia on March 02, 2020, 09:31:51 PM
I've done the mechanical work for Elle save for domains and SDAs. Thoughts on these domain options for her?

Artifice, City, Craft, Creation, Fire, Knowledge, Magic, Nobility, Passion, Rune, Spell?

Artifice, Craft, Creation, Knowledge, Magic, Passion, Rune, Spell work.
City, Fire, Nobility don't.

I'd recommend focusing on Artifice, Craft, Creation, Passion, Spell. I understand that Artifice+Creation gives you +3 to CL for Conjuration (Creation) spells? If that's right and she can rely on a few of those, that's neat. If not, she can pick one of them (Artifice would be more unique and thus better!). Spell is important, Passion is nice flavor. Ultimately, Craft is the main one with Artifice a close second. That allows Elle a nice niche that isn't as widely-trodded as the rest, and Passion can only help round that out.
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Anastasia

Quote from: Nephrite on March 02, 2020, 09:42:00 PM
Question: Does making someone a proxy shine a big old spotlight on them if they go to someone else's divine realm, or if they're out in the outer planes in general?

It's generally at least noticed, yes.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on March 03, 2020, 01:58:12 AM
Quote from: Anastasia on March 02, 2020, 09:31:51 PM
I've done the mechanical work for Elle save for domains and SDAs. Thoughts on these domain options for her?

Artifice, City, Craft, Creation, Fire, Knowledge, Magic, Nobility, Passion, Rune, Spell?

Artifice, Craft, Creation, Knowledge, Magic, Passion, Rune, Spell work.
City, Fire, Nobility don't.

Agreed, I was going broad. I'd argue about nobility but that was fringe since Sanzha already gets that.

QuoteI'd recommend focusing on Artifice, Craft, Creation, Passion, Spell. I understand that Artifice+Creation gives you +3 to CL for Conjuration (Creation) spells? If that's right and she can rely on a few of those, that's neat. If not, she can pick one of them (Artifice would be more unique and thus better!). Spell is important, Passion is nice flavor. Ultimately, Craft is the main one with Artifice a close second. That allows Elle a nice niche that isn't as widely-trodded as the rest, and Passion can only help round that out.

That's somewhere near where I was leaning. My main thoughts were that I wasn't sure if I'd go spell or magic (or both) or also toss rune in there. She also gets good since she's NG so that's something. Lemme work on her before session.

Edit: Magic may need to go in there for prereq reasons depending on what SDAs look good, so that is a consideration to bear in mind. I'll see how those work out.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

Magic and Spell are interchangeable, either works. In fact, I'd argue that in case of prereq either of them should qualify you.

Anastasia

Elle's partly done, ran out of time. Feel free to glance at her sheet, none of it's final but that's the direction it's going in.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

I've removed Divine Precognition from the list of common SDAs. Erathaol has it for now, for the moment it's merely out of play. Odds are it becomes an Erathaol exclusive ability.

This is one of those times where what seemed like a good idea turns out to be too much in gameplay. The combo if it + supreme init is that brokenly good.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

For recordkeeping because Oberuth no longer has this power.

Resurrecting Touch (Su)

At will as a standard action, Oberuth can touch a dead body (or a surviving part of a dead body, or a possession or image if no body remains) and restore it to life, as if by a resurrection spell. There's no cap to how long the creature has been dead and no chance of a mishap.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Elle reaches DvR1.

Domains: Artifice, Craft, Creation, Good, Passion, Spell
Salient Divine Abilities: Automatic Metamagic(Twin), Craft Artifact, Create Object, Extra Domain(Creation), Extra Domain(Passion)

Not a lot to say about this one since it was largely discussed in chat. She needs spell mastery at level 36 now, note to self.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Kascha reaches DvR1.

Domains: Chaos, Good, Healing, Knowledge, Magic, Renewal
Salient Divine Abilities: Automatic Metamagic(Quicken), Divine Recall(Births and Rebirths), Divine Skill Focus(Knowledge:Arcana), Extra Domain(Magic), Gift of Life

Pretty straight forward. She picks up automatic metamgic for oomph, divine recall for flavor and portfolio reasons, divine skill focus to further jack her K:A checks super high, extra domain to get magic and gift of life as a useful skill and as something that fits her portfolio well.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

Dune, I've decided to adjust the phrasing on the Goldenfire Magic SDA to make it more personal than a flip on Auril's Frostburn one. Also, Golden Flames already make all my fire including magical (spell and SLA) goldenfire anyway, so Goldenfire Magic is less about transforming regular flames into goldenfire and more about bringing it more into line with the epic metamagic feat for goldenfire. Finally, I added the DvR6 prereq we discussed and realized that good creatures might actually be hit by it so I excluded them. Let me know if you don't think it works.

Goldenfire Spell:
Spoiler: ShowHide
Goldenfire Spell [Epic, Exalted]
Prerequisite: Searing Spell, con 25, must worship Lathander or another of the House of Nature
Benefit: A goldenfire spell ignores the immunity and resistance to fire of creatures affected by the spell. Evil creatures take 50% more damage from a goldenfire spell and suffer a -7 penalty to the saving throw, if applicable. The spell gains the good descriptor if it does not already have it. Any spell modified with goldenfire gains a sacrifice component of 1 point of Constitution damage. A goldenfire spell uses up a spell slot 3 levels higher than the spells's actual level.

Golden Flames SDA:
GOLDEN FLAMES
Prerequisite: Good alignment, must have been taught by Lathander or Kossuth
Benefit: Seira's flames channel direct holy energy into them, turning them a brilliant golden shade. She can use these in three unique ways.

Seira's flames channel direct holy energy into them, turning them a brilliant golden shade. The flames she controls, including those of her breath weapon or her spells with the fire descriptor ignore resistance and immunity to fire.

Golden flames can be added to Seira's melee attacks, dealing an extra 15 points of fire damage.

Once per minute Seira can unleash a blast of golden flames as a standard action. This is a radius burst centered on Seira with a range of 20ft per divine rank. These flames heal good creatures 1d8 points of damage per two hit dice and deal the same as damage to evil creatures. Evil creatures are allowed a Reflex save C of 10 + 1/2 the deity's hit dice + the deity's Charisma bonus + the deity's divine rank. Neutral creatures are not affected.

Original:
Goldenfire Magic
Prerequisite: Fire domain, able to cast 9th level spells.
Benefit: Seira's magic is fueled by the purest fires of Creation. Any spell Seira casts with the fire descriptor, including spells modified with the Energy Substituion or Energy Admixture feats to deal fire damage, deal goldenfire damage instead of fire damage. For example, a fireball cast by Seira would deal 10d6 points of goldenfire damage instead of 10d6 points of fire damage. A goldenfire spell ignores the immunity and resistance to fire of creatures affected by the spell. Evil creatures take 50% more damage from a goldenfire spell and suffer a -7 penalty to the saving throw, if applicable. Goldenfire damage inflicted in this manner can only be healed in areas sanctified by a Good-aligned deity and with a DC 43 caster level check or a successful opposed rank check against Seira.

Rephrased:

Goldenfire Magic
Prerequisite: Divine rank 6, Fire domain, able to cast 9th level spells, Golden Flames
Benefit: Seira's magic is fueled by the purest fires of Creation. When those golden flames are used to form a spell or a spell-like ability, they strike down the wicked and spare the righteous. Evil creatures take 50% more damage from a goldenfire spell and suffer a -7 penalty to the saving throw, if applicable. Goldenfire damage inflicted in this manner can only be healed in areas sanctified by a Good-aligned deity and with a DC 43 caster level check or a successful opposed rank check against Seira. Good creatures take no damage from such magic, while neutral creatures don't take the extra damage.

Incidentally, is my goldenfire good-aligned? I assume so, given that the Good domain is a prereq for the SDA and the fluff, but it's never actually stated there. I cut that part out of Goldenfire Magic's rewrite since I figured it was redundant, but this is a good chance to check.

Anastasia

Push come to shove I probably would treat it as good aligned, but in your case I don't think a situation where it matters and the spell isn't already good.

I'd disagree with the good creature protection. Goldenfire isn't meant to be safe - remember how Jaela and everyone got goldenfire exposures in that one adventure there and that wasn't a good thing? Same principle. What you're looking for is something like Purify or Consecrate Spell, whichever one it is that does that. Edit: Purify Spell. Edit 2: Let me know if I said something contrary to that re: Goldenfire. I half remember something but not concretely enough to be sure. If I've said otherwise gimme a quote or a link and I'll reconsider that decision.

It's basically fine otherwise since it's just a cleanup.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

I don't normally allow SDA changes once they're chosen, but I'm willing to hear feedback about NPC choices and adjust right after chosen. This happened for Divine Skill Focus for Kascha, so out that goes and in comes Divine Shield.

I would like for her to have Divine Skill Focus later on when she has a few SDAs to burn, but we'll cross that road in the future. That's probably DvR6+ territory unless she gets a sudden, burning need for extra K:A bonuses.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Also, Alicia. Jessica's Divine Rogue ability super incentivizes a higher Reflex save. Can you think of any ways for her to improve it easily?
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

Quote from: Anastasia on March 04, 2020, 10:06:55 PM
Push come to shove I probably would treat it as good aligned, but in your case I don't think a situation where it matters and the spell isn't already good.

I'd disagree with the good creature protection. Goldenfire isn't meant to be safe - remember how Jaela and everyone got goldenfire exposures in that one adventure there and that wasn't a good thing? Same principle. What you're looking for is something like Purify or Consecrate Spell, whichever one it is that does that. Edit: Purify Spell. Edit 2: Let me know if I said something contrary to that re: Goldenfire. I half remember something but not concretely enough to be sure. If I've said otherwise gimme a quote or a link and I'll reconsider that decision.

It's basically fine otherwise since it's just a cleanup.

I suppose this is a difference in expectations that I really should've confirmed ahead of time, so my bad.

Given Golden Flames has an ability that hurts evil and heals good and is basically goldenfire I was aiming to build up on that. However, fair enough that it's not an inherently discriminate fire, I didn't consider that aspect. Still, the exposure sounds like a good way to justify the 'hard to heal' damage, so sure.

In that case...

Goldenfire Magic, v3:
Goldenfire Magic
Prerequisite: Divine rank 6, Fire domain, able to cast 9th level spells, Golden Flames
Benefit: Seira's magic is fueled by the purest fires of Creation. When those golden flames are used to form a spell or a spell-like ability, they strike down the wicked and spare the righteous. Evil creatures take 50% more damage from a goldenfire spell and suffer a -7 penalty to the saving throw, if applicable. Goldenfire damage inflicted in this manner can only be healed in areas sanctified by a Good-aligned deity and with a DC 43 caster level check or a successful opposed rank check against Seira.

What about the Good aspect of the original? Do I add it here, is my fire presumed to be Good all the way from Golden Flames?