News:

Because we're grown ups now, and its our turn to decide what that means.

Main Menu

DM Nagging: It's pretty much my job

Started by Anastasia, April 12, 2018, 12:35:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ebiris

Dune, important question for when we resume on Monday.

QuoteVivacious Spell [Epic, Exalted, Metamagic]
Prerequisite: Consecrate Spell, Energize Spell
Benefit: A spell modified this feat is transformed into pure bright, life-filled energy. Any damage the spell inflicts becomes divine typed damage and the spell gains the good descriptor. In addition, the spell deals double damage to undead and evil outsiders. A vivacious spell uses a spell slot three levels higher than the actual spell's level.

If this got applied to Mass Heal, would it hurt everyone it applied to by changing the positive energy to divine, or would it still heal as normal but inflict divine damage on undead (because it specifies 'damage')?

Also I just realised it's not important at all because Latha can't spontaneously cast so won't have it memorised for her to use, but knowing for future reference would be handy.

Anastasia

Any damage the spell inflicts means that it applies to damage it inflicts. If it's healing you, it's not inflicting damage and thus not changing the positive energy. Besides, vivacious spell is rooted in positive energy from energize spell anyway, so it doesn't make sense for it to interfere like that.

It would apply if you used heal/mass heal on an undead creature, of course.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on April 27, 2018, 04:19:11 PMFireclaw: Short Sword +1 of Elemental Harmony (+2) Sacred (+1) Evil Outsider Bane (+1) Undead Bane (+1) Fire (+1)/GMW+5 [+7 effective, 98,000gp]

I presume you mean flaming, not fire? As in +1d6 fire damage?
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

QuoteSkills: Acrobatics (15) +20, Diplomacy (30) +43*, Escape Artist (5) +10, Intimidate (30) +40, Knowledge/Arcana (30) +48*, Knowledge/Dungeoneering (20) +35, Knowledge/Geography (5) +20, Knowledge/Engineering (5) +20, Knowledge/History (5) +20, Knowledge/Local (2) +20*, Knowledge/Nature (17) +35*, Knowledge/Nobility (2) +20*, Knowledge/Planes (30) +48*, Knowledge/Religion (30) +48*, Perception (30) +38*, Perform/Sing (10) +20, Sense Motive (30) +38*, Spellcraft (30) +38*, Survival (2) +10*, Swim (2) +9

Also, walk me through Emily's knowledge skills? They all seem 10 points too high, is that a mistake or are you factoring something else in?
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

QuoteI presume you mean flaming, not fire? As in +1d6 fire damage?

Yeah, sure
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Corwin

Skills:

Skills: 5int+4+2class=11*30; *=class skill; Knowledge/Nature is a class skill via Knowledge Devotion; +10 insight to all Knowledge skills from Lore of the Gods
Skills: Acrobatics (15) +20, Diplomacy (30) +43*, Escape Artist (5) +10, Intimidate (30) +40, Knowledge/Arcana (30) +48*, Knowledge/Dungeoneering (20) +35, Knowledge/Geography (5) +20, Knowledge/Engineering (5) +20, Knowledge/History (5) +20, Knowledge/Local (2) +20*, Knowledge/Nature (17) +35*, Knowledge/Nobility (2) +20*, Knowledge/Planes (30) +48*, Knowledge/Religion (30) +48*, Perception (30) +38*, Perform/Sing (10) +20, Sense Motive (30) +38*, Spellcraft (30) +38*, Survival (2) +10*, Swim (2) +9

Counting the numbers in parenthesis we reach 330, which is 30 levels times 11.
11 is 5int+4houserule+2class

Anastasia

One problem - her base int is 14, it's only 20 with a booster. Nonpermanent boosts to intelligence don't apply to skill point gain, remember?
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

No, I'm pretty sure I'm actually right here  >_>

We're using pathfinder skills, so take a glance here:
https://www.d20pfsrd.com/basics-ability-scores/ability-scores/#Intelligence_Int

After all, since skills increase per level and we no longer keep track of what's a class skill at which level, upkeep of skills has grown much simpler.

Permanent Bonuses: Ability bonuses with a duration greater than 1 day actually increase the relevant ability score after 24 hours. Modify all skills and statistics as appropriate. This might cause you to gain skill points, hit points, and other bonuses. These bonuses should be noted separately in case they are removed.

"All bonuses are retroactive when an ability score increases, be they bonuses to damage, to skill ranks, to hit points, to saves, to skill checks... all of them. Skill ranks not being retroactive are a 3.5 convention we specifically removed from the game because it was a weird exception to the rule, and since now there are no exceptions to this rule, there's no need to specifically state that skill ranks are retroactively granted if your Intelligence goes up."

Ebiris

That's true, but PF intelligence boosting items have a selected skill that it boosts rather than just giving you skill points to distribute freely.

https://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/h-l/headband-of-vast-intelligence

QuoteIf I wear a headband of vast intelligence, do I get retroactive skill ranks for my Int increase in addition to the skill ranks associated with the item?

No. The skill associated with the magic item represents the "retroactive" skill ranks you'd get from the item increasing your Intelligence. You don't get the item's built-in skill ranks and another set to assign however you want.

Corwin

That prevents double-dipping since the headbands give skills themselves, yes. But that's functionally the same thing since we are allowed to rebuild anyhow. It'd make more sense to say we get skills from headbands instead of tying skills to them, though I'm fine with listing the skills tied to +int items it if that's how we want to go.

Ebiris

Probably easier that way for when you're in antimagic/disjunctioned/sent through a portal that strips you naked.

Anastasia

I'll rule on this tonight since I'm DMing right now.
<Afina> Forever.

Yuthirin

Now is a great time to talk about character portraits!
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Nephrite

What is the actual dispel check for Disjunction?

Ebiris

Magic Disjunction
Abjuration
Level: Magic 9, Sor/Wiz 9, Clr 9, Drd 9
Components: V
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Area: All magical effects and magic items within a 40-ft.-radius burst
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

All magical effects and magic items within the radius of the spell, except for those that you carry or touch, are treated as being affected as by a targeted dispel attempt. The dispel check uses a modifier equal to your caster level, maximum+30.

You also have a 1% chance per caster level of destroying an antimagic field. If the antimagic field survives the disjunction, no items within it are dispelled.

Artifacts and divinities are unaffected by mortal magic such as this.

Note: This spell replaces Mage's Disjunction.