DM Nagging: It's pretty much my job

Started by Anastasia, April 12, 2018, 12:35:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corwin

Spells, a bit cleaned up! Including the first one, which you wanted me to remind you of.

Dragonfire Burst
Spoiler: ShowHide
Dragonfire Burst
Evocation [Fire, Good]
Level: Pal 2
Components: V, DF
Casting Time: 1 swift action
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: 1 round/level

Your dragonfire wrath burns hotter and with a hint of gold, dealing an extra 1d8 points of damage. Any melee attack you make while under dragonfire's wrath counts as good to overcome damage reduction for the duration of this spell.

Seira's Arcane Thesis
Seira's Arcane Thesis
Divination
Level: Sorcerer 10, Wizard 10
Components: V
Casting Time: 1 standard action

You mantle yourself in a powerful magical field that facilitates both your magical offense and defense. Your spells are stronger and much harder to resist, cast with a +10 bonus on caster level checks for the purposes of overcoming spell resistance, and with their save DC increased by 5. As for your defense against hostile magic, counterspelling is an immediate action for you, allowing you to counterspell even when it is not your turn without having previously readied an action. You must still have the immediate actions available to counterspell in this manner.

Seira's Majestic Visage
Seira's Majestic Visage
Transmutation [Good]
Level: Cleric 12, Sorcerer 12, Wizard 12, Druid 12, Bard 10, Paladin 10, Duskblade 8
Components: V, S

You are surrounded by a fiery haze, radiant and terrible beyond measure. Your allies are reassured, even awed, while the evil you are facing down is cowed with the surety of its defeat. You become a blazingly hot beacon of the powers of good. Your creature type changes to outsider (good) for the duration of the spell. Unlike other outsiders, you can be brought back from the dead if you are killed in this form.

You undergo the following transformations:
• You grow feathered wings that allow you to fly at twice your normal speed (good maneuverability).
• You gain +1 natural armor.
• You gain low-light vision.
• You gain resistance to acid 10, cold 10, and electricity 10.
• You gain immunity to disease.
• You gain a +4 racial bonus on saving throws against poison.
• You gain damage reduction 10/magic.
• You gain spell resistance 25.
• You gain the following bonuses to your ability scores: +4 Str, +2 Dex, +4 Con, +2 Int, +4 Wis, +4 Cha.

You gain a +10 enhancement bonus on Diplomacy checks with Good characters, and a +10 enhancement bonus on Intimidate checks with Evil characters for the duration of the spell.

Any fire you generate during the duration of the spell becomes Goldenfire, ignoring fire resistance or immunity and dealing x1.5 more damage to Evil targets and no damage at all to Neutral and Good targets.

This spell is a closely guarded secret of Seira's faith, only taught personally by Seira to her most capable faithful. The inspiration for the spell is Seira's friend Alicia overcoming terrible odds.

Special: Seira's faithful can cast this spell as a swift action.

Seira's Glorious Visage
Seira's Glorious Visage
Transmutation [Good, Fire]
Level: Cleric 10, Paladin 8
Components: V, S, DF

You draw up to your full height, and your presence acquires the special quality that suggests to all who gaze upon you the favorable touch of divinity. You assume the physical appearance and many of the qualities and abilities of a movanic deva. While under the effect of the spell, your creature type changes to outsider (good) and your size changes to Medium. You gain a +4 sacred bonus to Strength, Dexterity and Constitution. You gain darkvision out to 60ft. You gain a +4 sacred bonus on saving throws. You gain damage reduction 5/evil. Your base land speed increases by 10 feet. Your touch attacks and any melee weapons you wield become infused with this power as well. They are treated as good-aligned weapons for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction.

Your melee or natural weapons are cloaked in flames, dealing grievous harm to evil. You deal an extra 1d8 points of fire damage per strike for every 5 caster levels you have. This extra fire damage stacks with any other sources of fire damage you might have, such as from Dragonfire Wrath. For the duration of this spell, you also gain the Stand Fast paladin ability as a paladin of your level. If you already are a paladin with this ability, your uses of it from both sources stack.

An aura of silvery glow springs into being around your body, providing illumination to a radius of 20 feet. Anyone within those 20 feet of you gains a +4 deflection bonus to AC and a +4 resistance bonus to saves against attacks made or effects created by evil creatures. You gain a -20 circumstance penalty on Stealth checks made while under the effect of this spell.

This spell is a closely guarded secret of Seira's faith and is given to her most capable clerics and paladins.

Special: Outsiders cannot cast this spell.

Seira's Draconic Visage
Seira's Draconic Visage
Transmutation [Fire]
Level: Sorcerer 12, Wizard 12

A spell created by Seira, it is designed to showcase her combat spirit and help those not blessed by the blood of dragons grasp the pinnacle of their power, however fleetingly. It draws its inspiration from two seemingly opposite aspects of her, the primal draconic power running through her veins and the carefully thought-out approach to combat she all-too-often favors, managing to perfectly mesh them for an unstoppable juggernaut!

You undergo the following transformations:
• You grow draconic wings that allow you to fly at twice your normal speed (perfect maneuverability).
• You gain +4 natural armor.
• You gain low-light vision and darkvision out to 60ft.
• You gain immunity to fire.
• You gain immunity to sleep and paralysis effects.
• You gain a breath weapon that deals 10d10 points of damage of fire (120ft line or 60ft cone). A successful Reflex save (DC 10 + 1/2 HD + Con modifier) reduces damage by half.
• You gain the following bonuses to your ability scores: +8 Str, +2 Con, +2 Int, +2 Cha.

You gain proficiency with Seira's favorite weapon (short sword) and the Weapon Focus feat for it, as well as the ability to use it with a monk's flurry. You also gain the Weapon Finesse feat and the evasion ability (PH 50).

You gain a +3 luck bonus to Armor Class, a +5 luck bonus on Reflex saving throws and a +15 competence bonus on Perception and Stealth checks.

You deal an extra 5d6 points of damage whenever you attack an opponent that you flank or an opponent denied its Dexterity bonus to Armor Class. This extra damage works like the rogue's sneak attack ability.

This spell is a closely guarded secret of Seira's faith.

Special: Dragonblooded cannot cast this spell.
Special: Clerics who serve Seira may select this spell as if it was on the cleric list.
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Corwin

What happens when a Martyr's Kiss is cast on a summoned creature or on a willing elemental?
What about willing mortals and immortals who are your faithful? Will their souls reach you after this spell executes? Are you restricted from reincarnating or elevating them after this?

Corwin

Now for fresh spells.

Blazing Radiance
Blazing Radiance
Evocation [Fire, Good]
Level: Sorcerer 12, Wizard 12, Duskblade 8
Range: Close (25ft + 5ft/2 levels)
Effect: Ray
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: Yes

You blast your enemy with a fiery ray. The ray requires a ranged touch attack to hit and deals 1d12 fire damage per caster level (maximum 40d12). Undead struck by the ray take double damage.

Basically an anti-undead single target ray.

Greater Dispelling Breath
Greater Dispelling Breath
Abjuration
Level: Sorcerer 12, Wizard 12
Components: S
Target: Your breath weapon

This spell functions as Dispelling Breath, except as noted here. The dispel check made is 1d20 + 1 per caster level (maximum +40). Dispels made with this check an automatically destroy an antimagic field, as well as affect anything a magic disjunction can.

Exactly as it says on the tin.

Three-Fold Breath
Three-Fold Breath
Transmutation
Level: Sorcerer 11, Wizard 11

You bring other aspects of your arcane might into play, imbuing your fiery breath weapon with concussive force and bright light.

You imbue your damaging breath weapon with concussive force that can stun those caught in its area. Creatures that take damage from the breath weapon are blinded for 1 minute per caster level. They must also make successful Fortitude saves (DC equal to your breath weapon save DC) or be stunned for 1 round.

Inspirations are Stunning Breath, Blinding Breath and Breath Flare. Also, Tiamat.

Harmonic Breath
Harmonic Breath
Transmutation
Level: Sorcerer 9, Wizard 9, Duskblade 6

Your energy breath weapon deals whichever energy type that is most beneficial to you. For example, a creature immune to acid and cold, with resistance to electricity 30 and vulnerability to fire would take all fire damage from your breath weapon's energy damage.

A Cauldron research project! Suck it, Tiamat!

Seira's Unicorn Rainbow
Seira's Unicorn Apocalypse
Conjuration
Level: Sorcerer 11, Wizard 11
Components: V, S, F
Range: 120ft
Area: 120-ft. line
Spell Resistance: No

This spell creates a rainbow of colorful unicorn arrows. The caster makes a ranged touch attack with a flanking bonus that applies to every creature within the area of the spell. Each creature determines hits and misses as normal, with a hit subjecting them to a pair of unicorn arrows. This effect is identical to an unicorn arrow created by Seira's unicorn arrow spell, except that each arrow deals 1d8+CL damage (maximum +40). Creatures struck by this spell are subject to sneak attack regardless of how far the caster is from them. This only applies if the caster has sneak attack and the creature would be subject to sneak attack in the first place. The pair of unicorn arrows attacking each creature are considered flanking with each other.

At the DM's discretion, other types of damage similar to sneak attack may apply to these arrows. Such could include skirmish and sudden strike damage.

Focus
An ivory replica of an eagle riding a unicorn worth 2,500 gold.

Subaru is the inspiration for this spell. Also, rainbow unicorns!

Healing Flames
Healing Flames
Conjuration (Healing) [Fire, Good]
Level: Cleric 4, Paladin 4, Sorcerer 5, Wizard 5
Components: V, S, DF
Area: 10-ft.-radius burst, centered on you
Saving Throw: Reflex half; see text;
Spell Resistance: Yes

You unleash a blast of holy flames that washes over all creatures in the area in a glorious display of divine power. This deals damage to evil creatures and heals good creatures in the area. The amount of damage dealt and the number of hit points restored in each case is 1d8 points per 2 caster levels (maximum 5d8).

Half of the damage this spell deals to evil creatures is fire damage, and half of the damage is pure divine power that is therefore not subject to reduction by energy resistance to fire-based attacks.

Neutral enemies within the spell's area of effect also take the fire damage, but do not take the divine damage. Neutral allies within the area are healed by half as much as good creatures. A successful Reflex saving throw halves the damage taken in all cases.

I found this pathfinder spell while looking for something similar and liked it!
https://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/h/healing-flames/

Corwin

A review of my sheet revealed that the Battle Metamagic SDA relies on Widen Spell, and it's a feat I culled in the rebuild. Dropping Dragonfire Strike in the meantime in favor of Widen Spell.

Anastasia

Quote from: Iron Dragoon on May 29, 2018, 09:22:23 PM
Better/more clear?

Blade of the Righteous
Transmutation
Level: Brd +12, Sor/Wiz +12
Range: Close (25ft + 5ft 2/levels)
Target: One weapon touched
Duration 1 round/level

The touched weapon become the pinnacle of evil slaying, becoming a +5 weapon of Holy and the Bane of Evil Outsiders, Lawful Outsiders, and Undead of Transmuting. The affected weapon gains the Holy property, imparting an additional 2d6 points of damage against all of evil alignment. In addition, the weapon gains the Bane property against Evil Outsiders and Lawful Outsiders, as well as the Undead. Finally, the weapon gains the Transmuting property, able to adjust its composition to overcome the DR of the target the round after a successful strike. It retains this composition until a new target is hit or for 10 rounds.

Okay, let's compare and contrast the following spell.

QuoteShardread Weapon
Evocation [Good]
Level: Sanctified 11
Components: V, S, F
Range: Touch
Target: Weapon touched

This spell allows you to transform a melee weapon that you touch. The weapon gains a +7 enhancement bonus. Against servants of Shar and creatures commonly associated with her (such as shadows or nightwalkers), it functions as a dread weapon.

The bonuses from this spell overwrite a weapon's normal properties, but it cannot affect an artifact.

For the sake of this spell, servants of Shar means creatures that worship Shar, serve her or otherwise work with her forces.

This spell was created by Selune, who has made a point to spread it far and wide.

Focus

The melee weapon to be enhanced.

Okay, so let's compare. A +12 weapon vs a +11 weapon, with the proviso that dread's +4 is probably underpriced a bit due to how specifically broad it is in this instance. I'd say they're in the same ballpark overall, so let's say 11. We can tweak it up or down a level later as needed.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Anastasia

Quote from: Iron Dragoon on May 30, 2018, 10:48:39 AM
So, the spells I've been posting and tinkering with have been an effort to try and get things streamlined. With the help of a couple others, I got this, with then intent to invest in a select few really good weapons.

Alyssa's Aerial Assembly
Transmutation/Conjuration
Level: Brd 11, Sor/Wiz 11
Range: Close (25ft + 5ft 2/levels)
Target: One weapon touched
Duration 1 round/level

With a word and a gesture, the weapon you touch becomes blurred, then sudden splits into copies of itself.

This spell creates one copy per caster level of the targeted weapon, which retain all effects of the original weapon. Additionally, the original weapon and all copies become animated as the Dancing Blade spell, with the additional ability to gain the benefits of feats and abilities the caster might have.

Okay, walk me through how this would work in practice.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Iron Dragoon on May 30, 2018, 04:52:39 PM
Question regarding item familiar. It requires a magic item/weapon. In this example I'll use Life-Drinker, which is a +1 great axe.

Once I establish it as my familiar, it says enchantments are reduced to half cost. So, if I wanted to add another +4 to make it a +5, then Transmuting (+2), Holy (+2), Ghost Touch (+1), that's a total bonus of +10. the d20srd chart lists +10 as 200,000gp, so it'd be 100,000gp for the item familiar, yes?

That sounds right, barring the cost of the baseline item, which wouldn't be discounted. (The +1 great axe part, and doesn't it have energy draining too?)
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Iron Dragoon on May 30, 2018, 05:03:33 PM
1st draft of Epic Mapmaking. Wasn't sure how to do a balanced DC bump to have a single map include multiple or all of the features.

Craft (Mapmaking)

TaskDC
Detecting Map50
Tracking Map60
Teleporting Map70
Map of the Universe90

Keeping this separate so I can reference it.

QuoteDetecting Map
The map you create must be of an area you have a thorough knowledge of. You must be familiar with the local flora, fauna, and geography. A Detecting Map can show you the location of any object, resource, or creature you desire. This effect displays and records the location of the detected item and is usable 3/day, and each use can display a different object, resource, or creature. The targets detected are displayed this way for 24 hours.

So it can show you the location of things on the map? Walk me through this, I'm not sure I grasp it or it needs a revision for clarity.

QuoteTracking Map
A Tracking Map can track the designated object, resource, or creature you desire in real-time. The map can only display one Tracking at a time, but can the target can be changed 3/day. The tracking effect lasts for 1 hour per character level of the creator.

Okay, so you make a map and it tracks the designated object, resource or creature? Sort of like a scrying effect that follows the target? What about if he goes off the boundaries of the map?

QuoteTeleporting Map
A Teleporting Map will allow the user and anyone touching him to teleport to any position on the map 3/day as a Greater Teleport spell.

Seems straight forward.

QuoteMap of the Universe
A Map of the Universe records all of the places its user has ever been. It records the area around the user up to 1 mile per caster level of the creator, and a single map records all locations, regardless of planes. Additionally, by laying the Map of the Universe over another map, it can copy all information into itself. Furthermore, the map can be changed to display any place that has been recorded and allow the user to travel to a designated point as a Greater Plane Shift spell 3/day. Finally, once per day, the user can use the map to display the entirety of the world they are on for 24 hours. They can use this revealed map to detect, track, and teleport anywhere in the world, though none of the information is permanently recorded unless the user travels to a specific location.

That sounds more like a magic item than an epic skill usage, frankly.

A lot of this feels like you're saying, 'I wanna make that one magic map from Harry Potter'.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Nephrite on May 30, 2018, 08:58:25 PM
Sing the Holy Choir
Enchantment (Compulsion) [Mind-Affecting, Sonic]
Level: Bard 7
Duration: 3 rounds

When you cast this spell, your next use of any 'Inspire' bardic music can be augmented in two ways, chosen by you at the time casting. You can either create music so holy and good that it infuses the weapons those who hear you carry and wield, giving them the Holy Power weapon property for their next attack, or create such harmonious music that those that hear it gain the Consecrate and Widen Spell metamagic feats for their next spell.

These bonuses are in addition to the normal benefits of the 'Inspire' abilities. If you do not use an 'Inspire' ability before the spell's duration expires, the effects are lost.

I'd bump it up for the swift action casting, not sure how much offhand. Also it should have the good descriptor regardless.

Lemme say...8? For now, see how it plays in reality.
<Afina> Forever.

Nephrite

Quote from: Anastasia on June 01, 2018, 10:19:46 AM
Quote from: Nephrite on May 30, 2018, 08:58:25 PM
Sing the Holy Choir
Enchantment (Compulsion) [Mind-Affecting, Sonic]
Level: Bard 7
Duration: 3 rounds

When you cast this spell, your next use of any 'Inspire' bardic music can be augmented in two ways, chosen by you at the time casting. You can either create music so holy and good that it infuses the weapons those who hear you carry and wield, giving them the Holy Power weapon property for their next attack, or create such harmonious music that those that hear it gain the Consecrate and Widen Spell metamagic feats for their next spell.

These bonuses are in addition to the normal benefits of the 'Inspire' abilities. If you do not use an 'Inspire' ability before the spell's duration expires, the effects are lost.

I'd bump it up for the swift action casting, not sure how much offhand. Also it should have the good descriptor regardless.

Lemme say...8? For now, see how it plays in reality.

Roger dodger.

Anastasia

Quote from: Nephrite on May 31, 2018, 02:14:08 PM
T-t-t-t-tell me about Lovitar!

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Loviatar

I've never had a chance to use her much - Shar muscles in a bit on the sadism part in Balmuria and there's always Belial. I do reference her occasionally, but I've never had a campaign where she feels right as a serious force in them. Also it's Loviatar, I don't use her often so I usually make that typo without realizing it. Whoops.

Bane, Cyric, Loviatar and a few others tend to be backburnered a bit so far. I've never given them a serious chance to shine, which is really too bad. Alas, too many balls in the air. Someone has to get shafted.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on June 01, 2018, 07:32:11 AM
What happens when a Martyr's Kiss is cast on a summoned creature or on a willing elemental?
What about willing mortals and immortals who are your faithful? Will their souls reach you after this spell executes? Are you restricted from reincarnating or elevating them after this?

RAW it would work just fine on a summoned creature, though I'd view that as missing the point of the spell and disallow the use. In particular, the willing part at the end. A summon generally obeys the caster (at least a typical summon monster one, stuff like planar ally is different) so I'd rule along those lines. The spell's really not meant to be used trivially like that, to summon monster X something and have them go super mode without the drawbacks.

Anyone willing is a different story. It would work fine, kill them and the soul would reach you normally. Though on reflection and as it is a really old spell, I think it could use some tightening. One sec while I do that. Okay, I changed the target to 'mortal creature touched' and a note in the spell notes that 'For the sake of this spell, a mortal is any creature that is not an outsider, construct, undead, elemental or fey.' The original intent of this spell was to give a mortal hero one last shot of glory before leaving their mortal life behind. It isn't meant to be thrown on a disposable summon or something that death isn't a huge deal to. It's very powerful because it's meant to be used in a narrow frame. I didn't really comprehend that all the way back then, and a lot of spell design is making what you want out of a spell perfectly clear and elaborated on.

It's one of those things you learn as you make spells. If you want a spell to do something, say precisely what you want it to do. Don't rely on intent or hopes, especially for something meant to be highly thematic like this spell. I trip over this one myself occasionally, hence sometimes editing spells for focus and clarity. It happens, learn and move on. (Side note: Managing that and reasonable brevity in spells is something of an art.)

Anyway, once they die under the spell, the soul goes where it's supposed to go normally. If after that a deity wants to reward them - and as a martyr of the faith that's quite possibly in the cards - that's okay. Even a resurrection or reincarnation wouldn't be out of the question, though the way Creation works means that direct, back to being a mortal resurrections after this wouldn't be common. More likely they're directly made into an outsider and divine servant.

Anyway, spell's hot patched and I'll probably tweak it more in the future. It is an early spell, after all. I may add a clause of 'a creature can benefit from this spell only once', though that's a bit heavy handed for my tastes. I just really, really dislike finding loopholes to try and work around the intent of this spell. It's meant to be a grand gesture, a great final thing, not something to take advantage of.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on June 01, 2018, 08:47:42 AM
A review of my sheet revealed that the Battle Metamagic SDA relies on Widen Spell, and it's a feat I culled in the rebuild. Dropping Dragonfire Strike in the meantime in favor of Widen Spell.

So noted, these things happen.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Seira spell review a little later, gonna finish off Kaja and take a look at Xera before diving into more spell work.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

Quote from: Anastasia on June 01, 2018, 10:40:18 AM
Quote from: Corwin on June 01, 2018, 07:32:11 AM

RAW it would work just fine on a summoned creature, though I'd view that as missing the point of the spell and disallow the use. In particular, the willing part at the end. A summon generally obeys the caster (at least a typical summon monster one, stuff like planar ally is different) so I'd rule along those lines. The spell's really not meant to be used trivially like that, to summon monster X something and have them go super mode without the drawbacks.

Anyone willing is a different story. It would work fine, kill them and the soul would reach you normally. Though on reflection and as it is a really old spell, I think it could use some tightening. One sec while I do that. Okay, I changed the target to 'mortal creature touched' and a note in the spell notes that 'For the sake of this spell, a mortal is any creature that is not an outsider, construct, undead, elemental or fey.' The original intent of this spell was to give a mortal hero one last shot of glory before leaving their mortal life behind. It isn't meant to be thrown on a disposable summon or something that death isn't a huge deal to. It's very powerful because it's meant to be used in a narrow frame. I didn't really comprehend that all the way back then, and a lot of spell design is making what you want out of a spell perfectly clear and elaborated on.

It's one of those things you learn as you make spells. If you want a spell to do something, say precisely what you want it to do. Don't rely on intent or hopes, especially for something meant to be highly thematic like this spell. I trip over this one myself occasionally, hence sometimes editing spells for focus and clarity. It happens, learn and move on. (Side note: Managing that and reasonable brevity in spells is something of an art.)

Anyway, once they die under the spell, the soul goes where it's supposed to go normally. If after that a deity wants to reward them - and as a martyr of the faith that's quite possibly in the cards - that's okay. Even a resurrection or reincarnation wouldn't be out of the question, though the way Creation works means that direct, back to being a mortal resurrections after this wouldn't be common. More likely they're directly made into an outsider and divine servant.

Anyway, spell's hot patched and I'll probably tweak it more in the future. It is an early spell, after all. I may add a clause of 'a creature can benefit from this spell only once', though that's a bit heavy handed for my tastes. I just really, really dislike finding loopholes to try and work around the intent of this spell. It's meant to be a grand gesture, a great final thing, not something to take advantage of.

I want to use it but I'm not a cleric. Can it be part of the divine powerset or open to wizards or whichever?