Started by Anastasia, April 12, 2018, 12:35:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anastasia

Weekly Roundup Time!

Dicing them out this time.

<Serith> Kotono roll for Serith < 3 > [d5=3]
> roll 1d5 board order 1 Alicia 5 Seira high to low

Tryll

Langersun continues apace. Not a lot to say other than that 100 will have repercussions, but right now you're mid dungeon. We'll see about clearing some territory there soon and getting you moving again. I want to get things moving rather than you sitting in a long dungeon, since you feel a little outside of the plot's going ons right now. Missing a few night sessions didn't help, that's mostly on me. Fundamentally though, you don't have any of your node with you currently, which is something I regret setting up.

I may break my day off a little early and run you tonight, if you get home and are up to a posting session. I wanna see Tryll go.

> roll 1d5 board order 1 Alicia 5 Seira high to low
<Serith> Kotono roll for Serith < 1 > [d5=1]

Alicia

This week was almost pure plot advancement on your end, as well as a lot of setting up in the future. Good chats about this all around, mostly digesting what it all meant and setting longer term goals. I thought the hot springs talk was really good, advancing both Antenora and Latha's characters quite a bit. For Antenora, of course she had things worked out and already considered. That's very much who she is, and moreover, she'd consider that. Not out of grasping for power, but because she has taken the measure of it and realizes it's something that she could do and would help many others, including Alicia.

Latha, on the other hand, was about a mentor having to look within and how to define themselves against the past. Her name has always had an unspoken implication of exactly what she is, something discussed there and entirely relevant. Confronting that head on got me into her head and I thought lead to some good reflections, especially the suggestions about her and endurance. That's an aspect of her worth exploring in the future, and overall, I feel that entire scene was excellent for both characters. (Marie too, though I'm waiting for a chance for her and Antenora to really interact.)

It's nice to see all sorts of plot seeds I've laid out over the years finally getting to bloom. Things like Io vanishing or Eblis possibly being relevant to it all, y'know?

> roll 1d5 board order 1 Alicia 5 Seira high to lowCoo
<Serith> Kotono roll for Serith < 5 > [d5=5]

Seira

This was a solid week overall - just a lot of character work and setting up the next short term adventure. The Chan talk was fun and the elemental thing was a smashing success. Congrats on getting Omni - you got lucky with that 99 - and it nicely shored up another aspect of Seira. So that worked out well for everyone. Elle's finding her voice - she's having fun playing up the teacher angle but not doing it to death, the occasional comment as I feel her out. Sanzha's more reserved but that's on purpose. She was a little more direct with Afina as I recall, but I'm letting her find her footing in inter node dynamics.

> roll 1d5 board order 1 Alicia 5 Seira high to lowCoo
<Serith> Kotono roll for Serith < 2 > [d5=2]

Moore

Let's be honest, your week was about two things: Makim fallout and Cresiel.

As far as Makim goes, we've hashed that over but fallout from that will likely happen again in the near future. Not much to say there otherwise.

Cresiel, Cresiel, Cresiel. Amazing stuff there and a ton of fun. I could write a few paragraphs about it, but really, I think all that needs to be said is already said.  Villisa's a ton of fun and it's great showing them being so completely incompatible, as well as how they handle it. Sometimes you're related to someone who you don't click with and it's all about handling in. In Cresiel's instance, well...it's obvious he mostly lets her talk after token protests and signs of exasperation. That's interesting to read into.

Finally since the dice didn't' favor her, Alyssa.

Dungeon was finished this week. A bit of a skip I admit, but I'm realizing quickly I don't think I want a ton of super long dungeons this game. They will have a time and place, but right now I think I'd prefer to keep things moving. (Tryll's running into this.) Anyway, I liked how you handled things and the negotiations (or whatever happens) with the gith should be good.

Jarem's having fun right now, be fun to see how he grows from these early encounters.

Not a ton to say this week for the same reasons as Tryll - a lot of it was dungeon stuff which isn't the best for character grist.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Iron Dragoon

Quote from: Anastasia on June 01, 2018, 10:17:45 PM

Dungeon was finished this week. A bit of a skip I admit, but I'm realizing quickly I don't think I want a ton of super long dungeons this game. They will have a time and place, but right now I think I'd prefer to keep things moving. (Tryll's running into this.) Anyway, I liked how you handled things and the negotiations (or whatever happens) with the gith should be good.

Jarem's having fun right now, be fun to see how he grows from these early encounters.

Not a ton to say this week for the same reasons as Tryll - a lot of it was dungeon stuff which isn't the best for character grist.

Agreed, not a ton here. Need to find a good spread of spells. I need to figure out what buff spells are the most efficient. Part of why I didn't do a ton of buffing here is because it was mostly just Jarem and Alyssa, and Jarem had solid defenses already. Also, not a whole lot of combat needed it.

Weakness of gear showed itself. Other than that, yeah, not a whole lot there.
This is not the greatest post in the world, no... this is just a tribute.

Nephrite

I don't have a lot to add to this week except yes, I imagine the other shoe is in the process of dropping right now.

Anastasia

Quote from: Iron Dragoon on June 01, 2018, 10:27:28 PM
Quote from: Anastasia on June 01, 2018, 10:17:45 PM

Agreed, not a ton here. Need to find a good spread of spells. I need to figure out what buff spells are the most efficient. Part of why I didn't do a ton of buffing here is because it was mostly just Jarem and Alyssa, and Jarem had solid defenses already. Also, not a whole lot of combat needed it.

Weakness of gear showed itself. Other than that, yeah, not a whole lot there.

Yeah. I feel like what you need is a good long posting run, and our schedules don't always mesh for it.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Nephrite on June 01, 2018, 10:39:38 PM
I don't have a lot to add to this week except yes, I imagine the other shoe is in the process of dropping right now.

Like a rock.
<Afina> Forever.

Iron Dragoon

Quote from: Anastasia on June 01, 2018, 10:59:21 PM
Yeah. I feel like what you need is a good long posting run, and our schedules don't always mesh for it.

Eh, yeah, but that's fairly normal. The only time I'm really around for posting is after work, and you leave not too long after I get home, and at night, so it is what it is. We'll get there.

Corwin

Quote from: Anastasia on June 01, 2018, 08:56:28 PM
Dragonfire Burst added to spell collection.

QuoteSeira's Arcane Thesis
Divination
Level: Sor/Wiz 10
Components: V
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: 1 round/level

You mantle yourself in a powerful magical field that facilitates both your magical offense and defense. Your spells are stronger and much harder to resist, cast with a +10 bonus on caster level checks for the purposes of overcoming spell resistance, and with their save DC increased by 5. As for your defense against hostile magic, counterspelling is an immediate action for you, allowing you to counterspell even when it is not your turn without having previously readied an action. You must still have the immediate actions available to counterspell in this manner.

From PM:

> Mmmm. If the counterspelling isn't anything new or crazy with the duration and not expiring, maybe...mmmm. It's basically a multitarget assay SR, which I'd put at something like level 6-7? Very roughly. Duelward is in the same range I think so a few more levels at least and then the DC bump. Hm. 13-14, very tentatively and not holding me to that since I have homework to do on that if it goes that far.

I haven't done that homework, will do it tonight and decide.

---

Did you add swift casting to each of the last three spells?

If you mean the three Visage spells, I did indeed! I asked you if it was possible to do the 'Seira worshippers' condition instead of 'dragonblooded cast this spell as swift' and you said you'd look into how dragonblooded spell boosts go. If you'll decide I can't, then I'll use the dragonblooded thing for all but the draconic visage for obvious reasons. This doesn't matter to Seira personally much since she has means for swift casting, but it seems like the sort of boon her faithful would enjoy.
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Corwin

Let's see here....

Approved spells:

Quote from: Corwin on June 01, 2018, 08:26:40 AMBlazing Radiance
Blazing Radiance
Evocation [Fire, Good]
Level: Sorcerer 13, Wizard 13, Duskblade 8
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Close (25ft + 5ft/2 levels)
Effect: Ray
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: Yes

You blast your enemy with a fiery ray. The ray requires a ranged touch attack to hit and deals 1d12 fire damage per caster level (maximum 40d12). Undead struck by the ray take double damage.

QuoteGreater Dispelling Breath
Abjuration
Level: Sorcerer 12, Wizard 12
Components: S
Casting Time: 1 swift action
Target: Your breath weapon

This spell functions as Dispelling Breath, except as noted here. The dispel check made is 1d20 + 1 per caster level (maximum +40). Dispels made with this check an automatically destroy an antimagic field, as well as affect anything a magic disjunction can.

QuoteSeira's Unicorn Rainbow
Conjuration
Level: Sorcerer 11, Wizard 11
Components: V, S, F
Range: 120ft
Area: 120-ft. line
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

This spell creates a rainbow of colorful unicorn arrows. The caster makes a ranged touch attack with a flanking bonus that applies to every creature within the area of the spell. Each creature determines hits and misses as normal, with a hit subjecting them to a pair of unicorn arrows. This effect is identical to an unicorn arrow created by Seira's unicorn arrow spell, except that each arrow deals 1d8+CL damage (maximum +40). Creatures struck by this spell are subject to sneak attack regardless of how far the caster is from them. This only applies if the caster has sneak attack and the creature would be subject to sneak attack in the first place. The pair of unicorn arrows attacking each creature are considered flanking with each other.

At the DM's discretion, other types of damage similar to sneak attack may apply to these arrows. Such could include skirmish and sudden strike damage.

Focus
An ivory replica of an eagle riding a unicorn worth 2,500 gold.

New drafts:

QuoteThree-Fold Breath
Transmutation
Level: Sorcerer 11, Wizard 11

You bring other aspects of your arcane might into play, imbuing your fiery breath weapon with concussive force and bright light.

You imbue your damaging breath weapon with concussive force that can stun those caught in its area. Creatures that fail the breath weapon Reflex saves take full damage from the breath weapon and are blinded for 1 minute per caster level. They must also make successful Fortitude saves (DC equal to your breath weapon save DC) or be stunned for 1 round.

QuoteLet's not do no save blindness. The thing is, unless a creature has evasion, they're taking damage from the breath weapon regardless of the save. Therefore they're automatically blinded. The base spell specifics if they fail the save, not if they take damage from it.

Better? Honest mistake there.

QuoteHarmonic Breath
Transmutation
Level: Sorcerer 9, Wizard 9

Your energy breath weapon deals whichever energy type that is most beneficial to you. For example, a creature immune to acid and cold, with resistance to electricity 30 and vulnerability to fire would take all fire damage from your breath weapon's energy damage.

QuoteEntirely reasonable for the level. But as much as Donald would like it for his transformation as long as he's your proxy, it's simply not in the limited range of spells duskblades get, so that needs to go.

Donald nuked, will consider a better alternative for him.

QuoteHealing Flames
Conjuration (Healing) [Fire, Good]
Level: Cleric 6, Paladin 5, Sorcerer 7, Wizard 7
Components: V, S, DF
Area: 10-ft.-radius burst, centered on you
Saving Throw: Reflex half; see text;
Spell Resistance: Yes

You unleash a blast of holy flames that washes over all creatures in the area in a glorious display of divine power. This deals damage to evil creatures and heals good creatures in the area. The amount of damage dealt and the number of hit points restored in each case is 1d8 points per 2 caster levels (maximum 5d8).

Half of the damage this spell deals to evil creatures is fire damage, and half of the damage is pure divine power that is therefore not subject to reduction by energy resistance to fire-based attacks.

Neutral enemies within the spell's area of effect also take the fire damage, but do not take the divine damage. Neutral allies within the area are healed by half as much as good creatures. A successful Reflex saving throw halves the damage taken in all cases.

QuoteI'd bump it up a level or two for 3.5. Multitarget healing is hard in 3.5. But the base spell idea isn't objectionable at all.

I messed with the spell levels some, is it okay now?

Corwin

Quote from: Iron Dragoon on June 01, 2018, 09:53:40 PM
Quote from: Anastasia on June 01, 2018, 09:36:39 PM
Okay then. We'll consider that a +4 equivalent for the sake of adding things to it, so treat it as a baseline +5 weapon before you start improving it with item familiar.

Okay, well, there's +10 in bonuses, meaning the total bonuses is +15. The chart only goes up to +10, so what would the math be on it? I toyed with the math, but the multiplier isn't consistent between the bonuses.

Save yourself the headache and bond with a masterwork sword or a sword +1. Then sell your Life-Drinker later once you no longer need it.

Ebiris

QuoteAlicia

This week was almost pure plot advancement on your end, as well as a lot of setting up in the future. Good chats about this all around, mostly digesting what it all meant and setting longer term goals. I thought the hot springs talk was really good, advancing both Antenora and Latha's characters quite a bit. For Antenora, of course she had things worked out and already considered. That's very much who she is, and moreover, she'd consider that. Not out of grasping for power, but because she has taken the measure of it and realizes it's something that she could do and would help many others, including Alicia.

Latha, on the other hand, was about a mentor having to look within and how to define themselves against the past. Her name has always had an unspoken implication of exactly what she is, something discussed there and entirely relevant. Confronting that head on got me into her head and I thought lead to some good reflections, especially the suggestions about her and endurance. That's an aspect of her worth exploring in the future, and overall, I feel that entire scene was excellent for both characters. (Marie too, though I'm waiting for a chance for her and Antenora to really interact.)

It's nice to see all sorts of plot seeds I've laid out over the years finally getting to bloom. Things like Io vanishing or Eblis possibly being relevant to it all, y'know?

Very talky week. Got important plot coupons from Xerona, and it was nice to see Romiel as well. Then talking more with Jessica's family and then with Latha and Anty... then talking about the same stuff with Seira... by that point I was mentally checked out and wishing for something to stab.

Don't mean to sound so down on it but when you get to that point it feels like 'talking about talking' and it's hard to sustain interest. It was good and valuable to bring up Latha and Antenora's feelings on what sort of deities they might be, brought more out of Latha too. And having Marie get involved was nice, since by now she's pretty sharp and tuned into this sort of thing so has a lot to contribute from the worshipper side of the equation, which as a familiar and low-tier outsider she feels more in tune with. And when seeing Seira I enjoyed finally getting an IC reaction from her to the Kascha dragon curse debacle.

I just feel it could've been spaced out with some action, find a balance between these things y'know?

I'm not massively invested in the Oberuth's bad dreams subplot either, mainly since it just feels like it came out of nowhere. I'd completely forgotten that one scene in B1 where it came up - it might well have been the very last scene of that game or after it officially ended, I dunno. It just leaves it pretty weightless, like when it first got raised in B6 I was struggling to recall at what point during the Dark Six/Neverborn plotline had Oberuth been kidnapped and why was it never referred to afterwards because it just hadn't stuck in my memory at all. I have vague recollections of a few other hanging threads from the end of B1 that I'm hoping aren't relevant now because I sure don't remember them in enough detail to pick them back up.

Lastly I'm a bit worried that Zariel's getting lost in the shuffle, so I hope we can get back to dealing with her soon.

Corwin

I got to talk about different things so it worked out well for me! Also, success with the elemental side~

Re: Oberuth, it came out of the left field for me as well, though I do like Oberuth the character and that makes me invested. I'll help him!

I'm holding out hope that by crusading for Chan or against shitty efreet slavers I'll come across a usable proxy, but if not my friends across the planes might offer me a lead on one. Should be fair.

Anastasia

Quote from: Iron Dragoon on June 01, 2018, 11:07:37 PM

Eh, yeah, but that's fairly normal. The only time I'm really around for posting is after work, and you leave not too long after I get home, and at night, so it is what it is. We'll get there.

We will, but I'd like a run with you some time. Maybe on a Sunday?
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Ebiris on June 02, 2018, 08:08:41 AMVery talky week. Got important plot coupons from Xerona, and it was nice to see Romiel as well. Then talking more with Jessica's family and then with Latha and Anty... then talking about the same stuff with Seira... by that point I was mentally checked out and wishing for something to stab.

Don't mean to sound so down on it but when you get to that point it feels like 'talking about talking' and it's hard to sustain interest. It was good and valuable to bring up Latha and Antenora's feelings on what sort of deities they might be, brought more out of Latha too. And having Marie get involved was nice, since by now she's pretty sharp and tuned into this sort of thing so has a lot to contribute from the worshipper side of the equation, which as a familiar and low-tier outsider she feels more in tune with. And when seeing Seira I enjoyed finally getting an IC reaction from her to the Kascha dragon curse debacle.

I just feel it could've been spaced out with some action, find a balance between these things y'know?

Fair enough there. I mean I get it, you want that balance. Fortunately an adventure's coming up so that should resolve itself nicely. Watch out for the giant birds.

Really though, Avernus wasn't a great adventure for node interactions. This wasn't anyone's fault, just that Lixer and Glasya needed time onscreen plus it being a very high tempo and pressure adventure. There was no slack in it, only constant pressure against mounting odds. I wanted some reflective time to contrast that.

QuoteI'm not massively invested in the Oberuth's bad dreams subplot either, mainly since it just feels like it came out of nowhere. I'd completely forgotten that one scene in B1 where it came up - it might well have been the very last scene of that game or after it officially ended, I dunno. It just leaves it pretty weightless, like when it first got raised in B6 I was struggling to recall at what point during the Dark Six/Neverborn plotline had Oberuth been kidnapped and why was it never referred to afterwards because it just hadn't stuck in my memory at all. I have vague recollections of a few other hanging threads from the end of B1 that I'm hoping aren't relevant now because I sure don't remember them in enough detail to pick them back up.

Some are, some aren't. The ones that are will get refreshers as needed, Oberuth showed up to reframe his situation with that and start establishing hooks for it. I don't blame you at all, the point of this is to begin to set up interest for it, rather than immediately get a pay out. Oberuth's having problems, this establishes it and sets things up for the future. The scene at the end about it was important, but I realize it was a long time ago and it needs reestablishment. So this is it. I don't really expect you to be immediately super invested because of that.

Really, a lot of this week was groundwork for the future.

QuoteLastly I'm a bit worried that Zariel's getting lost in the shuffle, so I hope we can get back to dealing with her soon.

Fair enough. I figure y'all will tackle this post Raven's Nest, unless you decide to postphone that in favor of Zariel. Up to y'all.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on June 02, 2018, 09:13:20 AM
I got to talk about different things so it worked out well for me! Also, success with the elemental side~

Re: Oberuth, it came out of the left field for me as well, though I do like Oberuth the character and that makes me invested. I'll help him!

I'm holding out hope that by crusading for Chan or against shitty efreet slavers I'll come across a usable proxy, but if not my friends across the planes might offer me a lead on one. Should be fair.

It may or may not, depending on how things work out. I mean, it may well be possible but a proxy gets away or you simply choose options that lead to it not happening. Or maybe you don't find one at all. Fortunately, kicking over enough divine anthills on this level usually produces a proxy or two, along with possibly an avatar.

If so, great. If not, well, more reasons to beat up bad guys. I think that all works out.
<Afina> Forever.

Iron Dragoon

Quote from: Anastasia on June 02, 2018, 09:25:53 AM
Quote from: Iron Dragoon on June 01, 2018, 11:07:37 PM

We will, but I'd like a run with you some time. Maybe on a Sunday?

That's fine. I'm good whenever on the weekend, for the most part. Until blacksmithing starts again, at least.