DM Nagging: It's pretty much my job

Started by Anastasia, April 12, 2018, 12:35:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nephrite

As requested, here's a list of Moore's Folks who aren't already listed on the Node.

Moore's Home Base:

Grias, Lantern Archon
*Manages household affairs and keeps things organized.

Rackon, Human
*Sees to the pantry and keeps food in stock.

Annely, Hound Archon
*Cleaning and upkeep.

Stone, Golem
Rock, Golem
*Awakened stone golems who stand guard at the gate.

Seven Unnamed Hound Archons
*Will assuredly bite and growl at people.

Anastasia

<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Nephrite

Anastasia

Okay, great. Can you put that on your board somewhere for reference?
<Afina> Forever.

Nephrite

Would it be acceptable to add Heroics (Spell Compendium, 113) to the Bard spell list? I have no idea why it is just a Sor/Wiz spell, honestly.

Corwin

Iddy, CMD gets a base +10 to it, so yours is wrong. Was bored, glanced at your sheet.
As an aside, is your current sheet design comfortable for you? I found it very hard to find all the relevant information. Myself, I tend to keep a simplified sheet like you've seen Dune use, and a cheatsheet with all the relevant combat boosts and notes on how the math was done.
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Iron Dragoon

Thanks Cor.

Sheet setup is that same as for Surraruthru. Works great for me.
This is not the greatest post in the world, no... this is just a tribute.

Anastasia

As a general rule, I don't care how y'all do your sheets, so long as it works for you and it isn't impossible to find something if I need to.

I use the format I do because I'm used to it and find it the best for me. Opinions vary and other people find different formats better.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

I'd like a couple of clarifications for Miracle/Wish, specifically about this line from the writeup in the houserules:
- Asking for a modified version of a spell is acceptable, including scaled up versions that are within the limits of the spell's power.

Say you're working with Miracle, so you could emulate any lvl8 cleric spell and any lvl7 other spell (or lower, of course).
Presumably, you could use it to cast Crown of Flame (Clr5, 2d6 anti-evil aura of 10ft radius). Using Miracle for a scaled-up version could increase the range, the duration, the damage and so on, which is pretty clear (and would likely be up to the GM in terms of balance).
I'd say that if you wanted to use Wish to cast a really strong fireball, you'd look at how fireball is Sor/Wiz3, and Delayed Blast Fireball is Sor/Wiz6 and does double max damage, and then consider what sort of lvl8 Sor/Wiz spells to blast people with energy exist and how hard they hit.

Assuming the above is correct, what about metamagic? I believe I've asked about this before and gotten general approval, but I don't see it in the houserules so I figured it's best to check. Let's take the above examples.

Could I cast a Maximized Crown of Flame (effective Clr8 spell) with Miracle? A Widened Empowered Fireball (effective Wiz/Sor8 spell) with Wish?

Would that be restricted to metamagic feats I had, or would it allow me to use, say, Chain Spell (which I don't have) with an emulated spell, so long as it fit the level restrictions?

What about my means for diminishing the cost of metamagic? If I have three epic Improved Metamagic feats, a Twinned spell only costs me a +1 adjustment instead of +4. If I were using Wish or Miracle to emulate a Twinned spell, would this count? Specifically, could I emulate a Twinned lvl7 spell, elevated to an effective lvl8 spell instead of effective lvl11 for someone without those Improved Metamagic feats? Could I emulate an Empowered Maximized Widened Crown of Flames with Miracle? Would it be an effective lvl8 cleric spell after the metamagic feat costs have been reduced to 1 each by the Improved Metamagic feats, or would they not apply to use of Miracle/Wish?

Anastasia

Just a quick note: Weekly roundup at some point today or tomorrow, but taking some desired downtime. I'll let you all know if this threatens Monday's session.
<Afina> Forever.

Iron Dragoon

In regards to Jarem's spells, consider having him quick-sheet the following:

Legion's Gates
Bolts of Glory
Mass Regenerate
Visage of the Deity, Greater
This is not the greatest post in the world, no... this is just a tribute.

Anastasia

Quote from: Iron Dragoon on June 11, 2018, 08:54:19 AM
In regards to Jarem's spells, consider having him quick-sheet the following:

Legion's Gates
Bolts of Glory
Mass Regenerate
Visage of the Deity, Greater

Done. Everything but bolts of glory was added, as that spell really felt off on Jarem.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

72. List of common spells in spoiler block format for easier spoiler block creation.

This is one of my todos. What spells do y'all feel are common enough to have spoiler block summaries for pre made?
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

Haste, Greater Magic Weapon, Magic Vestment, Fortunate Fate, (Mass) Death Ward, Spell Turning, Vision of the Omniscient Eye, Celestial Valor, Greater Heroism, Recitation, Mind Blank, Nondetection, Glorious Rally and Good Hope. Let's start with those.

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on June 11, 2018, 12:41:46 PM
Haste, Greater Magic Weapon, Magic Vestment, Fortunate Fate, (Mass) Death Ward, Spell Turning, Vision of the Omniscient Eye, Celestial Valor, Greater Heroism, Recitation, Mind Blank, Nondetection, Glorious Rally and Good Hope. Let's start with those.

Added. Formatting will probably be adjusted at some point.
<Afina> Forever.