DM Nagging: It's pretty much my job

Started by Anastasia, April 12, 2018, 12:35:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anastasia

Quote from: Ebiris on July 02, 2018, 12:04:24 PM
Also re: access level stuff? Any spells Alicia makes should be treated as access level 0. She tends to make straightforward battle magic that anyone can use and she's more than happy for it to be spread around.

Fair enough. I won't actually use that at the end of the day I think - effort and I'd rather err on the side of epic level spells being available due to needing more of them to choose from - but it's mirrors some of my own internal processes on them.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Anastasia

Quote from: Yuthirin on July 02, 2018, 12:25:52 PM
Quote from: Anastasia on June 27, 2018, 09:45:02 AM
Okay Yuth, where are we at on powers? Wanna finalize them when possible and start getting them moving.
This weekend sucked. I missed this post. I'll get on it.

All good, totally understand. This weekend...well, it ain't been a few good days, hopefully this week is the rebounder.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Yuthirin on July 02, 2018, 12:30:43 PM
Quote from: Anastasia on June 24, 2018, 12:48:16 PM
Quote from: Yuthirin on June 24, 2018, 02:23:39 AM
Examine Astral Reverberations
Clairsentience
Level: Psion/wilder 9
Display: Mental and visual
Manifesting Time: 1 minute
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: Instantaneous
Power Points: 17

This power taps information stored in tha astra, such as a creature's movements or location. This power shows the movements of said creature and all of their actions taken within the last week, as well as who and what they interacted with.

This power does not work on any plane that is not connected in some way to the astral plane. This power only functions on creatures and objects with an astral presence; a mind. Inert, non-magical objects such as walls or non-thinking creatures such as non-intelligent oozes and mindless undead are invisible to this power.

Augment
If an additional 5 power points are spent, the power also attempts to postulate a likely future outcome. This provides a benefit similar to that of a divination, but less cryptic. Any information conveyed would concern one single action or possible action regarding that creature, and the question must be phrased to outline the direction for the power to take. Information conveyed can be contained in no more than one single sentance.

If an additional 10 power points are spent, the manifestor may make an opposed caster level check to reveal information about a target that has or had an active mind blank spell.

You have a typo in the first sentence, that should read 'the astral'. Also spell check the last word 'sentence' in augment's first paragraph.

It's fine in principle, though since it targets a specific creature rather than a location or the like, I'd include a saving throw. Creatures get those, locations generally don't. Likewise note how it works with mind blank and the like.

That aside the basic idea is fine. It needs a save since it's targeting creatures, however. No save abilities against a creature are something I try to avoid.
Clairsentience

This power taps information stored in the astral, such as a creature's movements or location. This power shows the movements of said creature and all of their actions taken within the last week, as well as who and what they interacted with.

This power does not work on any plane that is not connected in some way to the astral plane. This power only functions on creatures and objects with an astral presence; a mind. Inert, non-magical objects such as walls or non-thinking creatures such as non-intelligent oozes and mindless undead are invisible to this power.

Augment
If an additional 5 power points are spent, the power also attempts to postulate a likely future outcome. This provides a benefit similar to that of a divination, but less cryptic. Any information conveyed would concern one single action or possible action regarding that creature, and the question must be phrased to outline the direction for the power to take. Information conveyed can be contained in no more than one single sentence.

If an additional 10 power points are spent, the manifestor may make an opposed caster level check to reveal information about a target that has or had an active mind blank spell.

For every 2 power points spent in either of the above augmentations, the power's DC increases by 1.

Didja add the save like I asked?
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

QuoteWell, there's the rub. The original Gate spell was fine on its own as it stood for a 9th level spell. The fact that the rules of this game alter the spell's functionality should have been taken into consideration when the changes were made. Changing it from a Call Major Planar Ally And Also A Portal spell to Just A Portal Spell is a rather huge change. 2/3 of the value of the spell is removed, if we were in a normal game without any house rules. I'd say that Gate in itself in your world is overpriced as a 9th level spell, because it's been pretty heavily neutered.

Well no, I'd say canon Gate isn't fine as written. The travel part of it's fine, but the calling feature is a mess. Incidentally, it's been used to summon allies instead of the default calling feature (such as allies from Aurora and node members in this game (though that functionality hasn't been used yet)). But looking at how greater plane shift is priced? No, that's not overpriced at all. You're paying up to get a gate you can leave open for a time and let people pass through and with perfect precision, above even greater plane shift.

QuoteAs for plane shift, yes. There's a psionic version. It's just as inaccurate as the magic version. Also, it's overpriced for arcane spellcasters. The SRD lists it as cleric 5, sor/wiz 7. No real reason for that, in my opinion.

Planar travel's meant to be a cleric thing as they're servants of extraplanar deities. I'm personally shaky on the logic, but never felt it worth changing.

QuoteI'm requesting that plane shift be made a flat 5th or 6th level spell/power, and Gate be a flat 7th level spell/power because of the massive changes to its functionality. Yes, it's more precise than plane shift, thus the 2 spell/power level increase.

I'll consider amending plane shift - I need to do some homework there - but Gate's right where it should be relative to plane shift and greater plane shift.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Today's sessions have been pretty laid back and not covering anything hugely important, expect that to continue tonight. Still dealing a bit with RL, brain's places at times that isn't the game. Bear with me.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Small update: Added ignore material components to the epic feat list of epic VoP. Feels reasonable for them.
<Afina> Forever.

Yuthirin

Force of Will: ShowHide
Force of Will
Psychokinesis
Level: Psychic warrior 6
Display: Visual
Manifesting Time: 1 standard action
Duration: 1 round/level
Power Points: 11

All physical attacks made by you are treated as force effects for the duration of this power.

Augment
For every additional power point you spend, this power's duration increases by 2 rounds.

Examine Astral Reverberations: ShowHide
Clairsentience

This power taps information stored in the astral, such as a creature's movements or location, if that creature or object fails a Will save. This power shows the movements of said creature and all of their actions taken within the last week, as well as who and what they interacted with.

Augment
If an additional 5 power points are spent, the power also attempts to postulate a likely future outcome. This provides a benefit similar to that of a divination, but less cryptic. Any information conveyed would concern one single action or possible action regarding that creature, and the question must be phrased to outline the direction for the power to take. Information conveyed can be contained in no more than one single sentence.

For every 2 power points spent in either of the above augmentations, the power's DC increases by 1.

Astral Ingress: ShowHide
Astral Ingress
Psychoportation
Level: Psion/wilder 8
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Target: Willing creature touched, or up to eight willing creatures joining hands
Duration: Instantaneous or concentration (up to 1 round/level)
Power Points: 15

This power creates an interdimensional connection between your current plane of existence and a plane you specify, allowing travel between those two planes in either direction. The ingress itself is a circular hoop or disk from 5 to 20 feet in diameter (manifestor's choice), oriented in the direction you desire when it comes into existence (typically vertical and facing you). It is a two-dimensional window looking into the plane you specified when manifesting the power, and anyone or anything that moves through is shunted instantly to the other side.

Augment
If you spend an additional 4 power points, the duration of this power becomes minutes/level.

Echoing Implosion: ShowHide
Echoing Implosion
Psychokinesis
Level: Psion/wilder 10, Kineticist 10
Display: Auditory and material
Mainfesting time: 1 standard round
Range: Medium :100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Area: One explosion in a 20 ft. radius.
Duration: Instantaneous.
Saving Throw: Reflex half; see text
Power Resistance: No
Power Points: 21

Upon manifesting this power, you choose cold, electricity, fire, or sonic. You create a single implosion, pulling said energy out of the surrounding area toward the power's epicenter. This implosion deals 10d10 damage to every creature and object in the specified area. The implosion creates a strong inward pressure, pulling loose objects and even creatures into the epicenter from up to 40 ft. away from the epicenter. Any creature or object that fails a reflex save to grab onto something to anchor it is pulled into the center of the implosion.

Augment
For every 4 additional power points you spend, the implosion occurs again. Any creature or object that has failed its Reflex save or was caught at the epicenter is expelled violently from the epicenter in a random direction, only to be immediately pulled back inside. The violent motion causes any creatures to become nauseated. Additionally, the power's DC increases by 1 for every echo caused.

Greater Dispel Psionics: ShowHide
Greater Dispel Psionics
Psychokinesis
Level: Psion/wilder 6
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Target or Area:   One manifester, creature, or object; or 20-ft.-radius burst
Duration: Instantaneous or 1d4 rounds; see text
Saving Throw: None
Power Resistance: No
Power Points: 11

This power functions like dispel psionics, except as shown in the augment below.

Augment
For every additional power point you spend, the bonus on your dispel check increases by 2 (to a maximum bonus of +40 for a 10-point expenditure).

Additionally, if 10 or more power points are spent, greater dispel psionics can dispel any effect that remove curse can remove.
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Anastasia

Xera's mostly done, just spells and I'm going to let those mellow until tonight. I have a few feat choices I wanna consider anyway for her.

Onto other things now.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Iron Dragoon on June 21, 2018, 10:54:07 PM
So all of the big Transmutation/Polymorph spells of level 9+ are focused on physical stuff. Str/Con/Dex. What do you think of a version for casters? Int/Wis/Cha?

No real problem with it (I wouldn't do it as Polymorph subschool due to the way those spells work, but a mind boosting transmutation strikes me as okay).
<Afina> Forever.

Iron Dragoon

Quote from: Anastasia on July 05, 2018, 03:22:58 PM
Quote from: Iron Dragoon on June 21, 2018, 10:54:07 PM
So all of the big Transmutation/Polymorph spells of level 9+ are focused on physical stuff. Str/Con/Dex. What do you think of a version for casters? Int/Wis/Cha?

No real problem with it (I wouldn't do it as Polymorph subschool due to the way those spells work, but a mind boosting transmutation strikes me as okay).

Okay. So, same sort of bonus caps? +16 to one type deal?
This is not the greatest post in the world, no... this is just a tribute.

Anastasia

What spells do you have in mind here?
<Afina> Forever.

Iron Dragoon

So, take Might of the Solar for example. +18 to str/dex/con, +14 to natural armor, +bane, +2 to Hit/Damage, +2d6 damage.

That's a bunch of bonuses. So. I was thinking of something that gave a boost to Int/Wis/Cha, + to saves, and + to spell/SLA DCs or something.

Anastasia

Whip something up and we'll see how it looks.
<Afina> Forever.

Iron Dragoon

What about something like this:

<name>
Transmutation
Level: Sor/Wiz 11
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Duration: 1 round/level
Saving Throw: Will negates (harmless)
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless)

Calling on the power of the Weave, you gain deeper insight into the workings of the Weave and a closer connection to it. This connection confers a +18 enhancement bonus to intelligence, wisdom, and charisma. You also gain a +10 enhancement bonus to your saving throws and a +5 bonus to all DCs for spells and spell-like abilities.