News:

"In closing, we have the best hobby ever. The End."

Main Menu

DM Nagging: It's pretty much my job

Started by Anastasia, April 12, 2018, 12:35:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anastasia

Obviously, no weekly roundup this week. Just heads up.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Anastasia

Quote from: Iron Dragoon on July 05, 2018, 11:22:02 PM
What about something like this:

<name>
Transmutation
Level: Sor/Wiz 11
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: 1 round/level
Saving Throw: Will negates (harmless)
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless)

Calling on the power of the Weave, you gain deeper insight into the workings of the Weave and a closer connection to it. This connection confers a +18 enhancement bonus to intelligence, wisdom, and charisma. You also gain a +10 enhancement bonus to your saving throws and a +5 bonus to all DCs for spells and spell-like abilities.

Overshot it, I think.
<Afina> Forever.

Iron Dragoon

Quote from: Anastasia on July 06, 2018, 08:55:30 PM
Overshot it, I think.

Okay, in what way? Too much stat bonus? Too much saves?
This is not the greatest post in the world, no... this is just a tribute.

Anastasia

Status update and notes.

I feel much better and the game will resume tomorrow.

1. This had nothing to do with game burnout, to be perfectly clear. Life gave me a good ol' fashion beating, it happens. Back in B3 I might've powered through this, in B6 I took downtime. I think this was the right choice.

2. Since this came up in PM with Yuth, in the event I do lighten my load, I'd probably drop down to 4 days a week. I'd probably drop a midweek day, with details TBA if I get to that point. As of now it's not on the table, I'm merely explaining my thoughts in case it does come to pass.

3. I'll be doing some DM work later tonight. A few odds and ends as well as a bit of posting. Expect posts to everyone before the evening ends, but no replies until tomorrow.

4. I'm going to try and get in an extended session for Yuth. Life's been disagreeable for both of us lately, let's compensate.

5. Finally, I may need a few extra days off between here and the end of my current job. I'm expecting a lot of crap to come my way until the end, so we'll see how I hold up.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Iron Dragoon on July 06, 2018, 09:20:47 PM
Quote from: Anastasia on July 06, 2018, 08:55:30 PM
Overshot it, I think.

Okay, in what way? Too much stat bonus? Too much saves?

The combo of stat boost and spell DC boosts work together, giving gigantic DC boosts here. I'd trim the DC boosts from the spell to begin with and see from there. Thing is, the boost to ability scores raises spell DCs on top of the flat bonus to spell DCs.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Yuth, reading your power roundup last page, did you make any of the changes I said to make, like boosting the level of greater dispel psionics?
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Anastasia on July 04, 2018, 09:42:04 PM
Quote from: Iron Dragoon on June 29, 2018, 10:59:55 PM
Reminder poke:

http://www.soulriders.net/forum/index.php/topic,104100.msg1114587.html#msg1114587

Okay, going back to this, it feels like you're fundamentally making the same thing (a map that finds/tracks things) a few times with different iterations. Is that what you're going for?

So let's back up a step real quick. Epic craft (mapmaking), what would you want out of it? Thinking about it myself, I'd assume things like drawing maps to treasures you aren't aware of, drawing perfect maps, maps that can do basic magical tricks to help them work better, so on and so forth. The tracking/visual layout map is certain something it could touch on.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Epic healer is up, sans spell list. That's being posted elsewhere and epic spell lists are going to be updated later tonight.
<Afina> Forever.

Iron Dragoon

Quote from: Anastasia on July 08, 2018, 09:30:25 PM
The combo of stat boost and spell DC boosts work together, giving gigantic DC boosts here. I'd trim the DC boosts from the spell to begin with and see from there. Thing is, the boost to ability scores raises spell DCs on top of the flat bonus to spell DCs.

Alyssa's Burst of Inspiration
Transmutation
Level: Sor/Wiz 11
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: 1 round/level
Saving Throw: Will negates (harmless)
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless)

Calling on the power of the Weave, you gain deeper insight into the workings of the Weave and a closer connection to it. This connection confers a +18 enhancement bonus to intelligence, wisdom, and charisma. You also gain a +10 enhancement bonus to your saving throws.

Anastasia

Okay, I'll level with you. I haven't pushed mental ability scores this high for this sort of booster. So this is largely going to be testing it by fire and seeing how it stacks up for gameplay. It may be fine, it may need revisions once we see how it works out. So I'm going to approve it for now with an understanding it may be revised in the future.
<Afina> Forever.

Iron Dragoon

Quote from: Anastasia on July 08, 2018, 09:35:39 PM
Okay, going back to this, it feels like you're fundamentally making the same thing (a map that finds/tracks things) a few times with different iterations. Is that what you're going for?

So let's back up a step real quick. Epic craft (mapmaking), what would you want out of it? Thinking about it myself, I'd assume things like drawing maps to treasures you aren't aware of, drawing perfect maps, maps that can do basic magical tricks to help them work better, so on and so forth. The tracking/visual layout map is certain something it could touch on.

It sorta was. I was meaning for it to do sorta what you hinted at: finding and revealing things that aren't quite known, but I wasn't sure how far to go with it. Like the finding treasures thing sorta falls under Detecting Map's "any object." I mean, treasure is objects. Tracking Map could easily be rolled into this, but I wasn't sure how the 'power level' of an item/skill like this should be broken down.

The Teleporting Map was there to be utility. 3/day Greater Teleport is pretty useful and helps out anyone who has UMD but can't cast themselves.

Map of the Universe was more to be a single all encompasing use map, instead of carrying around a bunch of seperate maps type deal.

I was sort of imaging the end point of the maps to, ultimately, be a cross between like google maps and a powerful scrying spell.

I'm fully open to suggestions, though. You've got way more experience doing this than I do, so you're a better judge of what's appropriate.

Iron Dragoon

Quote from: Anastasia on July 08, 2018, 11:30:25 PM
Okay, I'll level with you. I haven't pushed mental ability scores this high for this sort of booster. So this is largely going to be testing it by fire and seeing how it stacks up for gameplay. It may be fine, it may need revisions once we see how it works out. So I'm going to approve it for now with an understanding it may be revised in the future.

Sounds good. I just sorta picked a number that was on level with the physical boosts.

Anastasia

Quote from: Iron Dragoon on July 08, 2018, 11:31:59 PM
Quote from: Anastasia on July 08, 2018, 11:30:25 PM

Sounds good. I just sorta picked a number that was on level with the physical boosts.

That's fine. I'm pretty sure this one's gonna be nerfed, but I need a testing case anyway so that'll serve for it.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Iron Dragoon on July 08, 2018, 11:31:16 PM
Quote from: Anastasia on July 08, 2018, 09:35:39 PM

It sorta was. I was meaning for it to do sorta what you hinted at: finding and revealing things that aren't quite known, but I wasn't sure how far to go with it. Like the finding treasures thing sorta falls under Detecting Map's "any object." I mean, treasure is objects. Tracking Map could easily be rolled into this, but I wasn't sure how the 'power level' of an item/skill like this should be broken down.

The Teleporting Map was there to be utility. 3/day Greater Teleport is pretty useful and helps out anyone who has UMD but can't cast themselves.

Map of the Universe was more to be a single all encompasing use map, instead of carrying around a bunch of seperate maps type deal.

I was sort of imaging the end point of the maps to, ultimately, be a cross between like google maps and a powerful scrying spell.

I'm fully open to suggestions, though. You've got way more experience doing this than I do, so you're a better judge of what's appropriate.

I'll take a swing at this once I finish sor/wiz spell summaries over in the spell collection.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Okay, check out the spell collection, in the middle of adding spell summaries and class spell lists for epic spells. This will be finished over the next few days.

Let me know if this project is useful for y'all.
<Afina> Forever.