News:

No longer content with mere attendance, the middle-class suburban poseurs have begun to put their hands in the air and wave them like they just don't care

Main Menu

DM Nagging: It's pretty much my job

Started by Anastasia, April 12, 2018, 12:35:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iron Dragoon

Quote from: Anastasia on November 16, 2018, 11:08:26 PM
That look right, Iddy?

Ability Hamstring
Transmutation
Level: Sor/Wiz 9
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Target: One touched living creature
Duration: 1 round/level
Saving Throw: Will negates
Spell Resistance: Yes

You temporarily remove one extraordinary or supernatural ability of your choice from the target creature. You must know of the ability you wish to remove, either from seeing it, experiencing it, with a Knowledge check or some other means.

Oozes, constructs or undead are immune to this spell. Spellcasting cannot be removed by this ability, nor can deific abilities.

Yeah, but I was going through the spells (literally just now) and came across 'Spurn the Supernatural' which is basically the same thing, except with Truename weirdness and concentration.

And the more powerful version, Expunge the Supernatural.

How about just dumping the Truename weirdness and concentration, and making it Abjuration, Transmutation?
This is not the greatest post in the world, no... this is just a tribute.

Iron Dragoon

Also, wanted to ask what your opinion is on Baleful Polymorph. I know you have rules against polymorph, but it seems to be okay by your rules.

I think the the permanent effect is a little powerful for a 5th level spell, so how about something that dumps that to round or minute/level, and makes it less likely to be resisted?

Anastasia

Uh, I'd have to read up on truenaming, since they use those mechanics and are balanced around it. Truenaming's also a notable mess so I'm hesitant to bring in things from it due to that factor.

Let me go read up on that over the weekend.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Iron Dragoon

MOAR SPELLS

Clouds for Armor
Transmutation
Level: Sor/Wiz 4
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Effect: Ray
Duration: 10 minutes/level
Saving Throw: None

A dark red ray projects from your hand. You must succeed on a ranged touch attack to strike a target. The target's worn armor bonus is reduced by 4 points, +1 point per two caster levels above 7th (maximum reduction 10 points at 17th level). This spell can't reduce equipment's armor bonus to less than 0, nor does it have any effect on an magical enhancement bonuses (such as that granted by +1 enchantment bonus, though the bonus of the base armor is still affected).

Material Component: A shed snakeskin.

Weapon Lock
Transmutation
Level: Brd 4, Sor/Wiz 4
Components: V, S
Target: One creature wearing armor
Duration: 1 round/level (D)
Saving Throw: Fortitude partial; see text

The scabbard, or whatever serves to hold a weapon, swells and stiffens, making it exceendingly difficult to draw the weapon.

On a failed Fortitude save, the target must make a Strength check as a standard action to draw their weapon. Failure results in the weapon not being drawn. On a successful Fortitude save, the target must still take an action to draw the weapon.

Shrink Weapon
Transmutation
Level: Sorcerer/wizard 2
Target: One creature wielding a weapon
Saving Throw: Will negates (harmless, object)
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless, object)

With a shriek of warping wood and scraping metal, your weapon shrinks, becoming far less effective.

The targeted melee weapon reduces by one size category (Small weapons become Tiny, Medium weapons become Small, and so on). As its size reduces, the damage the weapon deals reduces as well (PH 114).

If the affected weapons is dropped, or are disarmed, or hand the weapon to another creature, the spell ends.

Nephrite

[22:30] <Nephrite> Also, get to my improved spells over the weekend!
[22:30] * Nephrite cracks whip
[22:30] <Iddy> Heh.
[22:30] <Kotono> Where are they?
[22:31] <Nephrite> http://www.soulriders.net/forum/index.php/topic,104100.msg1130977.html#msg1130977
[22:31] <Kotono> PAste this chat into nagging, I'll do it when Is weep out nagging tonight or int he morning.
[22:31] * Kotono whimpers. Scary!

Anastasia

Baleful Polymorph has been long nailed by the anti polymorph ban (save for polymorph subschool spells).

<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Belated, but Alicia has reached level up time. Let me know how it goes.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Anastasia on November 16, 2018, 11:16:51 PM
Uh, I'd have to read up on truenaming, since they use those mechanics and are balanced around it. Truenaming's also a notable mess so I'm hesitant to bring in things from it due to that factor.

I'm going to punt the truenaming spells entirely. It's simply not worth the headache of trying to salvage those spells from that mess. In lieu of it, we can drop ability hamstring a few levels to compensate. Sound okay?
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Iron Dragoon on November 16, 2018, 11:18:02 PM
MOAR SPELLS

Clouds for Armor
Transmutation
Level: Sor/Wiz 4
Effect: Ray
Duration: 10 minutes/level

A dark red ray projects from your hand. You must succeed on a ranged touch attack to strike a target. The target's worn armor bonus is reduced by 4 points, +1 point per two caster levels above 7th (maximum reduction 10 points at 17th level). This spell can't reduce equipment's armor bonus to less than 0, nor does it have any effect on an magical enhancement bonuses (such as that granted by +1 enchantment bonus, though the bonus of the base armor is still affected).

Material Component: A shed snakeskin.

What spell did you crib from here? It looks familiar but I can't place it.

QuoteWeapon Lock
Transmutation
Level: Brd 4, Sor/Wiz 4
Target: One creature wearing armor
Saving Throw: Fortitude partial; see text

The scabbard, or whatever serves to hold a weapon, swells and stiffens, making it exceendingly difficult to draw the weapon.

On a failed Fortitude save, the target must make a Strength check as a standard action to draw their weapon. Failure results in the weapon not being drawn. On a successful Fortitude save, the target must still take an action to draw the weapon.

Same as above, along with what is the DC of the Strength check?

QuoteShrink Weapon
Transmutation
Level: Sorcerer/wizard 2
Target: One creature wielding a weapon

With a shriek of warping wood and scraping metal, your weapon shrinks, becoming far less effective.

The targeted melee weapon reduces by one size category (Small weapons become Tiny, Medium weapons become Small, and so on). As its size reduces, the damage the weapon deals reduces as well (PH 114).

If the affected weapons is dropped, or are disarmed, or hand the weapon to another creature, the spell ends.

Looks fine.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Nephrite on November 16, 2018, 11:33:38 PM
[22:30] <Nephrite> Also, get to my improved spells over the weekend!
[22:30] * Nephrite cracks whip
[22:30] <Iddy> Heh.
[22:30] <Kotono> Where are they?
[22:31] <Nephrite> http://www.soulriders.net/forum/index.php/topic,104100.msg1130977.html#msg1130977
[22:31] <Kotono> PAste this chat into nagging, I'll do it when Is weep out nagging tonight or int he morning.
[22:31] * Kotono whimpers. Scary!

QuoteI was thinking of making a stronger version of Share Talents, but I wasn't sure if it deserved to have a "stronger" and then "much stronger" version. I have provided both for consideration.

As a note, the PHBII refers to the Consecrated Harrier class when discussing this spell that I just knocked off of here because I don't know what the fuck it is but you could always add it back in if you wanted to.

I also admit I'm confused that Druids don't get the spell, but Rangers do? I dunno, just seems weird to me.

Greater Share Talents
Transmutation
Level: Bard 6, Cleric 7, Ranger 7, Sorcerer 7, Wizard 7, Spellthief 7

This spell functions as Share Talents, except it gives +6 bonus to skill checks.

Superior Share Talents
Transmutation
Level: Bard 9, Cleric 10, Ranger 10, Sorcerer 10, Wizard 10, Spellthief 10

This spell functions as Share Talents, except it gives +10 bonus to skill checks.

1. A big source of untyped bonuses. The base spell is a little oddity that is no big deal on it, but continuing it makes it one of those spells you stack everything on because it's untyped. I'd probably want to change the bonus to something like an insight bonus to compensate.
2. I don't think you need two spells if all you want is a bigger number. If anything, I think it's a spell that should improve in breadth rather than depth. Some other function is added that makes sense based on the concept, rather than a raw bonus. Not sure what offhand, though.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Kascha reaches level 32.

- Ghaele 32 and Wyrm Wizard 22.
- 8 on a d8 for a total of 17 hit points and a grand total of 441 hit points.
- +1 BAB for a total of +32.
- Caster level of SLAs rises by 1 to 32.
- Spell resistance rises by 1 to 44.
- The bonus of knowledge of the wyrm rises by 1.
- Gains a new spell from spell research. She takes moon barrage for now, understanding that it's a placeholder.
- Kascha gains 32nd level wizard spellcasting. She gains a new 13th level spell, she selects Seira's Arcane Thesis.
- All saves go up by 1.
- +1 Int for a total of 34. Here we go. +Intelligence skills for one thing. Another is new bonus spells: 4th, 8th and 12th. She goes with another maximized empowered scorching ray, maximized twinned greater fireburst and a quickened maximized twinned righteous smite.
- Skills go up as normal.

Decent level.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

I've been working on Domain spells, and started with War. It's relevant to me, and I did have unfinished business from B3 with them. I scrapped my old efforts and started afresh! The following spells are for lvl12-14, and they are upgraded version of lvl2-4 in the War Domain. Please give me your thoughts, as well as whether any of them could also be Sor/Wiz spells. I kept that part as the base versions, but spells do change that up sometimes.

War Domain spells, pre-epic:
Magic Weapon
Spiritual Weapon
Magic Vesment
Divine Power
Flame Strike
Blade Barrier
Power Word Blind
Power Word Stun
Foresight

Custom epic War Domain spells:
10: War's Blessing
11: Superior Mighty Wallop
22: Warrior's Boon

Mass Spiritual Weapon
Evocation [Force]
Level: Clr 12, War 12
Components: V, S, DF
Range: Personal
Area: 100ft/level radius spread
Effect: Magic weapons of force

This spell functions like Spiritual Weapon, except the cap is extended to +15. Your feats and combat actions affect the weapons, as if you were wielding them. If one of the targets is destroyed, goes beyond the spell range or goes out of your sight, the weapon attacking it is dispelled.

As with Spiritual Weapon, this spell uses the caster's relevant ability rather than Wisdom.

Unlike with Spiritual Weapon, this spell doesn't allow redirecting the weapons to a new target.

Army Magic Vestment
Transmutation
Level: Clr 13, Strength 13, War 13
Range: Long (400 ft. + 40 ft./level)
Targets: See text
Duration: 1 hour/level

This spell functions as Mass Magic Vestment, except the cap is extended to +10. The targets are one or more allied creatures within spell range.

Greater Divine Power
Evocation
Level: Clr 14, War 14
Range: Personal
Target: You

This spell functions like Divine Power, except you receive an extra attack. This extra attack is not a haste effect and stacks with other sources of extra attacks such as Haste. You gain a +20 enchancement bonus to Strength, and you gain 3 temporary hit points per caster level.
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Iron Dragoon

Quote from: Anastasia on November 17, 2018, 07:12:36 AM
What spell did you crib from here? It looks familiar but I can't place it.

Soften Armor. Reduces Natural Armor. Edit: Scale Weakening, sorry. Was just waking up.

Quote from: Anastasia on November 17, 2018, 07:12:36 AM
Same as above, along with what is the DC of the Strength check?

Armor Lock. No idea what would be reasonable for DC, so I left it blank!

Iron Dragoon

Quote from: Anastasia on November 17, 2018, 07:09:36 AM
Quote from: Anastasia on November 16, 2018, 11:16:51 PM

I'm going to punt the truenaming spells entirely. It's simply not worth the headache of trying to salvage those spells from that mess. In lieu of it, we can drop ability hamstring a few levels to compensate. Sound okay?

Yup, it was just something I came across that did the same basic thing. Would it be better to drop it levels or make it harder to resist? Not sure.

Iron Dragoon

Quote from: Anastasia on November 17, 2018, 06:59:51 AM
Baleful Polymorph has been long nailed by the anti polymorph ban (save for polymorph subschool spells).

Cool. It was just similar in concept to Limb to Salt so I figured I'd ask.