News:

No longer content with mere attendance, the middle-class suburban poseurs have begun to put their hands in the air and wave them like they just don't care

Main Menu

DM Nagging: It's pretty much my job

Started by Anastasia, April 12, 2018, 12:35:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ebiris

Alicia reaches level 32

Sorcerer 32 and duskblade 15

Max hp so +8 there.
+1 bab
+1 to all saves
+1 SR
+1 CL for SLAs
Stat point this level goes to charisma. Odd numbered so does nothing.
Bonus feat from epic sorcerer. She takes spell stowaway (time stop) because it's cool and good.
+1 13th level spell per day.
New sorcerer spell known, she takes antimagic zone.
Quick cast gets another use for 3/day.
+1 3rd/4th/5th level duskblade spells per day.
New duskblade spell known, she takes prismatic touch.
Skills all go up.
Silver fire DC goes up by 1.

Ebiris

Marie reaches level 32

Outside 32 and... well her build's complete, so either epic incantatrix, more sorcerer, or some other new PrC. Has to be full casting.

You know what, I'm going to make one up.

Master of Missiles

Hit die

d4

Requirements

Skills

Spellcraft 23 ranks

Feats

Arcane thesis (magic missile)

Spells

Must be able to cast magic missile.

Class skills

The Master of Missiles class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Craft (Int), Knowledge (all skills, taken individually) (Int), Perception (Wis), Profession (Wis) and Spellcraft (Int).

Level   Base Attack Bonus   Special   Spells
1   +0   Extra missiles   +1 arcane
2   +1   Bonus epic metamagic feat   +1 arcane
3   +1   Phasing missiles   +1 arcane
4   +2   Piercing missiles   +1 arcane
5   +2   Extra missiles 2   +1 arcane

Extra missiles (Ex)

The master of missile's magic missile spell gains a maximum of 10 missiles instead of five. These are gained as normal for every two caster levels above 9th.

Epic Metamagic Feat

At 2nd level, the master of missiles gains a bonus epic metamagic feat of her choice that she meets the requirements for.

Phasing missiles (Su)

The master of missiles may ignore total cover and total concealment when targeting creatures with her magic missile spells. She must be aware of the target via other means (such as scent or tremorsense) to target them.

Piercing missiles (Ex)

Magic missiles spells cast by the master of missiles gain a +4 bonus to their caster level for the purpose of overcoming spell resistance.

Extra missiles 2 (Ex)

The master of missile's magic missile spell gains a maximum of 20 missiles instead of five. These are gained as normal for every two caster levels above 9th.

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on November 17, 2018, 09:11:01 AM
I've been working on Domain spells, and started with War. It's relevant to me, and I did have unfinished business from B3 with them. I scrapped my old efforts and started afresh! The following spells are for lvl12-14, and they are upgraded version of lvl2-4 in the War Domain. Please give me your thoughts, as well as whether any of them could also be Sor/Wiz spells. I kept that part as the base versions, but spells do change that up sometimes.

War Domain spells, pre-epic:
Magic Weapon
Spiritual Weapon
Magic Vesment
Divine Power
Flame Strike
Blade Barrier
Power Word Blind
Power Word Stun
Foresight

Custom epic War Domain spells:
10: War's Blessing
11: Superior Mighty Wallop
22: Warrior's Boon

Mass Spiritual Weapon
Evocation [Force]
Level: Clr 12, War 12
Components: V, S, DF
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Personal
Area: 100ft/level radius spread
Effect: Magic weapons of force
Duration: 1 round/level (D)
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: Yes

This spell functions like Spiritual Weapon, except the cap is extended to +15. Your feats and combat actions affect the weapons, as if you were wielding them. If one of the targets is destroyed, goes beyond the spell range or goes out of your sight, the weapon attacking it is dispelled.

As with Spiritual Weapon, this spell uses the caster's relevant ability rather than Wisdom.

Unlike with Spiritual Weapon, this spell doesn't allow redirecting the weapons to a new target.

Army Magic Vestment
Transmutation
Level: Clr 13, Strength 13, War 13
Range: Long (400 ft. + 40 ft./level)
Targets: See text
Duration: 1 hour/level
Saving Throw: Will negates (harmless, object)
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless, object)

This spell functions as Mass Magic Vestment, except the cap is extended to +10. The targets are one or more allied creatures within spell range.

Greater Divine Power
Evocation
Level: Clr 14, War 14
Target: You
Duration: 1 round/level

This spell functions like Divine Power, except you receive an extra attack. This extra attack is not a haste effect and stacks with other sources of extra attacks such as Haste. You gain a +20 enchancement bonus to Strength, and you gain 3 temporary hit points per caster level.

Are any of these retreads? I swear I've at least seen a greater divine power before from you. Am I wrong? Lemme know that before I get into it, so I can check what I said then.

None of these would be sor/wiz spells, they're upgraded versions of non sor/wiz spells and nothing in them really makes sense for them to make the leap.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Anastasia

Quote from: Iron Dragoon on November 16, 2018, 11:18:02 PM
MOAR SPELLS

Clouds for Armor
Transmutation
Level: Sor/Wiz 4
Components: V, S, M
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Effect: Ray
Duration: 10 minutes/level

A dark red ray projects from your hand. You must succeed on a ranged touch attack to strike a target. The target's worn armor bonus is reduced by 4 points, +1 point per two caster levels above 7th (maximum reduction 10 points at 17th level). This spell can't reduce equipment's armor bonus to less than 0, nor does it have any effect on an magical enhancement bonuses (such as that granted by +1 enchantment bonus, though the bonus of the base armor is still affected).

Material Component: A shed snakeskin.

It's fine, rewriting so you're not copying the other spell directly. We'll see how it works in play.

Clouds for Armor
Transmutation
Level: Sor/Wiz 4
Range: Close (25ft + 5ft 2/levels)
Effect: Ray
Duration: 10 minutes/level

You fire a red ray from your hand at a single target, you must succeed on a ranged touch attack roll to hit the target. The target's worn armor bonus decreases by four points, with an additional loss of one point per two caster levels above 7th level (maximum decrease of 10 points at caster level 19th). The target's armor bonus cannot be less than zero, nor does it reduce any enhancement bonus from magic that the armor possesses.

Material Component

A bit of cotton.

QuoteWeapon Lock
Transmutation
Level: Brd 4, Sor/Wiz 4
Components: V, S
Target: One creature wearing armor
Duration: 1 round/level (D)
Saving Throw: Fortitude partial; see text

The scabbard, or whatever serves to hold a weapon, swells and stiffens, making it exceendingly difficult to draw the weapon.

On a failed Fortitude save, the target must make a Strength check as a standard action to draw their weapon. Failure results in the weapon not being drawn. On a successful Fortitude save, the target must still take an action to draw the weapon.

Check out peacebond in Cityscape, same idea.

QuoteShrink Weapon
Transmutation
Level: Sorcerer/wizard 2
Components: V, S
Target: One creature wielding a weapon
Saving Throw: Will negates (harmless, object)
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless, object)

With a shriek of warping wood and scraping metal, your weapon shrinks, becoming far less effective.

The targeted melee weapon reduces by one size category (Small weapons become Tiny, Medium weapons become Small, and so on). As its size reduces, the damage the weapon deals reduces as well (PH 114).

If the affected weapons is dropped, or are disarmed, or hand the weapon to another creature, the spell ends.

Seems okay, I'll rewrite it but the concept seems fine. Surprised I didn't find something like it already, I'll have to look deeper later.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Iron Dragoon on November 17, 2018, 09:12:29 AM
Quote from: Anastasia on November 17, 2018, 07:09:36 AM
Quote from: Anastasia on November 16, 2018, 11:16:51 PM
Uh, I'd have to read up on truenaming, since they use those mechanics and are balanced around it. Truenaming's also a notable mess so I'm hesitant to bring in things from it due to that factor.

Let me go read up on that over the weekend.

I'm going to punt the truenaming spells entirely. It's simply not worth the headache of trying to salvage those spells from that mess. In lieu of it, we can drop ability hamstring a few levels to compensate. Sound okay?

Yup, it was just something I came across that did the same basic thing. Would it be better to drop it levels or make it harder to resist? Not sure.

I'd say just reduce it in levels and call it done here.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

Quote from: Anastasia on November 17, 2018, 09:15:13 PM

Are any of these retreads? I swear I've at least seen a greater divine power before from you. Am I wrong? Lemme know that before I get into it, so I can check what I said then.

None of these would be sor/wiz spells, they're upgraded versions of non sor/wiz spells and nothing in them really makes sense for them to make the leap.

QuoteI've been working on Domain spells, and started with War. It's relevant to me, and I did have unfinished business from B3 with them. I scrapped my old efforts and started afresh!

With that said, please take a look at the spells and give me your thoughts?
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Anastasia

Quote from: Ebiris on November 17, 2018, 10:47:00 AM
Marie reaches level 32

Outside 32 and... well her build's complete, so either epic incantatrix, more sorcerer, or some other new PrC. Has to be full casting.

You know what, I'm going to make one up.

Master of Missiles

Hit die

d4

Requirements

Skills

Spellcraft 23 ranks

Feats

Arcane thesis (magic missile)

Spells

Must be able to cast magic missile.

Class skills

The Master of Missiles class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Craft (Int), Knowledge (all skills, taken individually) (Int), Perception (Wis), Profession (Wis) and Spellcraft (Int).

Level   Base Attack Bonus   Special   Spells
1   +0   Extra missiles   +1 arcane
2   +1   Bonus epic metamagic feat   +1 arcane
3   +1   Phasing missiles   +1 arcane
4   +2   Piercing missiles   +1 arcane
5   +2   Extra missiles 2   +1 arcane

Extra missiles (Ex)

The master of missile's magic missile spell gains a maximum of 10 missiles instead of five. These are gained as normal for every two caster levels above 9th.

Epic Metamagic Feat

At 2nd level, the master of missiles gains a bonus epic metamagic feat of her choice that she meets the requirements for.

Phasing missiles (Su)

The master of missiles may ignore total cover and total concealment when targeting creatures with her magic missile spells. She must be aware of the target via other means (such as scent or tremorsense) to target them.

Piercing missiles (Ex)

Magic missiles spells cast by the master of missiles gain a +4 bonus to their caster level for the purpose of overcoming spell resistance.

Extra missiles 2 (Ex)

The master of missile's magic missile spell gains a maximum of 20 missiles instead of five. These are gained as normal for every two caster levels above 9th.

Okay, when making an epic PrC, the main premise I work with is 'how do I make this epic'? Generally, an epic PrC takes something to the next level. It's meant to move things beyond being non epic and progress it in a real and material way. Some examples from homebrew:

Cosmic Descryer: Allows infinitely advancing the hit dice of non epic summons. Allows gates that last for an entire day. So on and so forth.
Dragonheart Shapeshifter: Allows a new shapeshift form, one that's a mighty dragon with room to advance further. As dragons are one of the more powerful and iconic creatures in D&D, taking shapeshift to this next level makes sense.
Grand Weaver: Advances a war weaver's craft into epic, moving beyond the limitations of the original PrC with adding new spells to it, more spell levels and other benefits.
Hellfire Master: Takes the hellfire warlock to a new level, concluding in a diabolical apotheosis into true mastery of Hell's corruptive power.
Singer of the Celestial Choir: Mastery over new songs related to the Words of Creation and ultimately use them far better than a mere mortal.

So on and so forth. The point is that an epic PrC represents something more than a normal PrC. It's meant to take things to a new level, yeah? Not every epic PrC I've made quite manages that (dragonbreath archer comes to mind, though it's a good PrC on its own merits and Amaryl has zero complaints, not to mention it's grandfathered in), but that's the standard I try to measure up to. So when I apply that to the idea of an epic PrC dealing with magic missile, I'm not quite happy with your entry. There's nothing -wrong- with it per se, but it could use more work, more polish along those lines. It feels like it should be more, y'know?

Like let's start with a simple question: What does an epic PrC that focuses on a lowly first level spell look like and why? Well, at that point you've taken a simple arcana beyond any reasonable limits. You've reached a sublime grand mastery with it that's above and beyond even force missile mage, something that takes the spell even farther and higher. Fundamentally this is a purely offensive spell, so it focuses on making magic missile stronger in that way, rather than something more esoteric like swiftblade.

So quick and dirty:

Master of Missiles

Prereqs of blah blah blah.
Poor BAB (as wizard), 10/10 or 9/10 progression.

1: Magic Missile Mastery: Add an extra missile to the maximum magic missile can produce. So 6 at 11th level would be the cap. This rises to 7/13th at level 3 in the PrC and so on. You rapidly move beyond the normal limits of the spell, especially if you have bonus missiles from force missile mage.

???: Metamagic Missiles: -1 total level of metamagiced magic missiles, stacks with the same effect from arcane thesis (hence it being a prereq). Might be a good halfway ability around level 5 or stuck to patch over a dead level. Point is to give you a lot of free metamagic (2 levels worth) on any magic missile you cast, which is definitely one of the spellcaster strategies in epic. Could be written as a direct upgrade to arcane thesis in that aspect.

???: Magic Might: Caster level bonus to magic missile. As good as it sounds. Probably 3+3 progression for it. So 3, 6, 9, 12, 15, ect sees +1 caster level for magic missile. (Incidentally, when possible with a PrC, I try to pattern it so there's a 1+2 OR a 2+2 ability as well as a 3+3 ability. This covers a good chunk of levels with some sort of advancement, helping prevent dead levels.

???: I can't think of another alliterative M name. Dang. Anyway, 1 or whatever times per day use magic missile as an immediate action when you're struck in melee. Being able to use anything as an immediate action is rare and precious, let along your signature spell. That sort of rare advancement feels epic enough to pass muster here.

I dunno, I'm tired and I'm spitballing at this point. The point of this rambling post is that it feels like the PrC should be more. Additionally, something that can keep improving, so that the spell can be taken as far as Marie can, rather than just a big, flat bonus.

You can tell I've spent a lot of time thinking about epic PrCs.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on November 18, 2018, 12:56:27 AM
Quote from: Anastasia on November 17, 2018, 09:15:13 PM

QuoteI've been working on Domain spells, and started with War. It's relevant to me, and I did have unfinished business from B3 with them. I scrapped my old efforts and started afresh!

With that said, please take a look at the spells and give me your thoughts?

Sure, at some point tomorrow or perhaps Monday. Today was such a fiasco that I'm just now catching nagging up.
<Afina> Forever.

Iron Dragoon

Quote from: Anastasia on November 17, 2018, 10:09:47 PM
Quote from: Iron Dragoon on November 17, 2018, 09:12:29 AM
Quote from: Anastasia on November 17, 2018, 07:09:36 AM
Quote from: Anastasia on November 16, 2018, 11:16:51 PM
Uh, I'd have to read up on truenaming, since they use those mechanics and are balanced around it. Truenaming's also a notable mess so I'm hesitant to bring in things from it due to that factor.

Let me go read up on that over the weekend.

I'm going to punt the truenaming spells entirely. It's simply not worth the headache of trying to salvage those spells from that mess. In lieu of it, we can drop ability hamstring a few levels to compensate. Sound okay?

Yup, it was just something I came across that did the same basic thing. Would it be better to drop it levels or make it harder to resist? Not sure.

I'd say just reduce it in levels and call it done here.

Okay. What about a version built from Expunge? Perm. destruction?
This is not the greatest post in the world, no... this is just a tribute.

Corwin

Posting per your request.

Quote07:34 <CC> I noticed an error in your post to Iddy
07:34 <CC> You rewrote that clouds spell to be +1 per level till lvl17
07:34 <CC> Where the original was +1 per two levels
07:35 <CC> At present, it doesn't actually work (+4 at CL7 +1 per CL will reach +10 much earlier)
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Anastasia

Not sure on output today, it's picking up where yesterday left off.
<Afina> Forever.

Ebiris

Master of Missiles

Prereqs of blah blah blah.
Poor BAB (as wizard), 10/10 or 9/10 progression.

1: Magic Missile Mastery: Add an extra missile to the maximum magic missile can produce. So 6 at 11th level would be the cap. This rises to 7/13th at level 3 in the PrC and so on. You rapidly move beyond the normal limits of the spell, especially if you have bonus missiles from force missile mage.

???: Metamagic Missiles: -1 total level of metamagiced magic missiles, stacks with the same effect from arcane thesis (hence it being a prereq). Might be a good halfway ability around level 5 or stuck to patch over a dead level. Point is to give you a lot of free metamagic (2 levels worth) on any magic missile you cast, which is definitely one of the spellcaster strategies in epic. Could be written as a direct upgrade to arcane thesis in that aspect.

???: Magic Might: Caster level bonus to magic missile. As good as it sounds. Probably 3+3 progression for it. So 3, 6, 9, 12, 15, ect sees +1 caster level for magic missile. (Incidentally, when possible with a PrC, I try to pattern it so there's a 1+2 OR a 2+2 ability as well as a 3+3 ability. This covers a good chunk of levels with some sort of advancement, helping prevent dead levels.

???: I can't think of another alliterative M name. Dang. Anyway, 1 or whatever times per day use magic missile as an immediate action when you're struck in melee. Being able to use anything as an immediate action is rare and precious, let along your signature spell. That sort of rare advancement feels epic enough to pass muster here.

I dunno, I'm tired and I'm spitballing at this point. The point of this rambling post is that it feels like the PrC should be more. Additionally, something that can keep improving, so that the spell can be taken as far as Marie can, rather than just a big, flat bonus.

You can tell I've spent a lot of time thinking about epic PrCs.

Yeah, well the point of Extra Missiles/Extra Missiles 2 is to keep it improving past the point where it ordinarily caps out, kinda like how Enhance Spell boosts the damage dice cap on spells. Magic missile mastery works as well for that, though. Metamagic missiles is good too, even if Marie's already stacked that deck about as far as it'll go it's still good. Magic might works well for keeping ahead of the SR curve. Not sure about the immediate action thing, since an immediate action magic missile isn't going to do much to stop a melee attack.

From my version, Phasing Missiles honestly might be better as its own separate metamagic or something, since it's the sort of thing I really want on the amazing barrage for better depopulating castles.

Iron Dragoon

Okay, I've read through the Permanency rules and I'm interested in making a few spells permanent. I've set up two sections, one that I know/think should be good for it, and one that's iffy (like a spell with round duration, but isn't really abusable), but count as mainly quality of life type things:

Alyssa has 32 HD, which means she can Perm. spells up 10th level.
Alyssa has 31 CL, so she can Perm up to CL 23, which is 10th level.

Good:
Detect Magic (Cantrip, Concentration, 1 min/level) See magic things.
Identify (1st level, Listed as an example in Good list in Perm. Post) ID magical items
Scent (2nd level, 10 min/level) Detect/track by smell.
Heart of Air (2nd level, 1 hour/level) 10 ft enhancement bonus to fly speed, +10 enhancement bonus to Jump, Feather Fall.
Telepathy (3rd level, Spell Collection, 10 min/level)

Iffy:
Scholar's Touch (1st level, 1 book/round, concentration) Instantly read books
Detect Secret Doors (1st level, Concentration, 1 min/level)

Iron Dragoon

Upgraded Bestow Wound, level 1 spell:

Greater Bestow Wound
Transmutation
Level: Sorc/Wiz 5
Range: Touch
Target: Living creature touched
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Fortitude negates

If wounded, you can cast this spell and touch a living creature. The target takes damage equal to your wounds at the rate of 3 points of damage per your caster level, or the amount needed to bring you up to your maximum hit points, whichever is less. At the same time, you heal that much damage, as if a cure spell had been cast on you.

Material Component: A small tiger's eye worth 100gp

Also, would like to ask if Quickshift (level 6 spell) could be altered to apply to Dimension Door:

Alyssa's Quick Jaunt
Transmutation
Level: Sorc/Wiz 6
Components: V, S,
Casting Time: 1 round
Target: You

For the duration of this spell, the caster's Dimension Door spell-like ability is quickened (as if enhanced with the Quicken Spell feat). This spell has no effect on other spells or spell-like abilities.

Iron Dragoon

Changing up my spells. Adding a few:
Rot of Ages, Resinous Tar, Arcane Conversion, Control Weather, Starmantle, Magic Disjunction, Stone Skewers.