News:

"With great power comes the opportunity to abuse that power."

Main Menu

DM Nagging: It's pretty much my job

Started by Anastasia, April 12, 2018, 12:35:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anastasia

I've fiddled with a Miranda PrC and it's not really come together. Her build and gimmick's basically complete as it is, and adding anything to it feels extraneous. Nonetheless, a few fragments from an epic favored enemy PrC.

Devastating Strike (Su)

A foe's nightmare is known for her many ways of slaying her favored enemies, bypassing defenses and striking true. At 1st level, the foe's nightmare can always deal critical hits to her favored enemies, even if they would normally be immune. This bypasses protection of all kinds, from creatures naturally immune to critical hits (such as oozes) to a creature wearing armor with the heavy fortification special ability.

Bane (Ex)

At 2nd level, the foe's nightmare's bonuses from her bane of enemies feats rises by 1 and 1d6 to +3 and +3d6. At 6th level and every 4 levels thereafter, this bonus rises by an additional 1 and 1d6.

Lethal Blow (Su)

At 5th level, the foe's nightmare is so sure in their ability to damage their hated enemies that not even regeneration can slow them down. The foe's nightmare's melee and ranged attacks always count as lethal damage against favored enemies with regeneration.

Unusual types of regeneration, such as that possessed by certain abominations, may not be subject to this ability at the DM's discretion.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Anastasia

Yeah, on reflection Miranda's going to stick pure valkyrie/ranger, unless she ever gets to the point where she can take angelic champion. Her entire build focuses on simplicity and effectiveness.

There's surprisingly few PrCs that focus on favored enemy or do anything but add one.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Miranda reaches level 32.

- Valkyrie 32 and Ranger 32.
- 5 on a d8 for a total of 16 hit points and a grand total of 421 hit points.
- +1 BAB for a total of 32.
- Damage reduction rises by 5 to 20.
- Spell resistance rises by 1 to 43.
- Gained 32nd level ranger casting. This goes into another heal spell.
- All saves rise by 1.
- +1 Dex for a total of 33.
- Skills go up as normal.
- Miranda selects Improved Favored Enemy(R32) as her new feat.

Okay level up for her.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Punting this to all of you out of curiosity. How many spells should an epic warmage add per level to his spells known?

Spellcasting

At 21st level and every level thereafter, the epic warmage's spellcasting improves. His caster level increases as normal. Further, once the epic warmage obtains the Epic Spell Capacity feat, he gains spells of 10th level and higher. Unlike non epic casting, the epic warmage has no spell list for spells of 10th level or higher. Instead, he may choose x spells at each level. These spells may be of any level from 10th level to the highest level of spells he can cast. These spells are added to his spell list and may be cast normally. The epic warmage's spells per day use the same table as epic sorcerers.

The spells chosen must fit one of the following criteria:

The spell is an evocation that appears on the sorcerer/wizard spell list.

The spell fits the warmage based on their spell list for non epic spells.

Epic warmages do not gain spells known from level 21 and on until they obtain the Epic Spell Capacity feat. Once they do, they gain any spells they would have gained from level 21 onward.
<Afina> Forever.

Nephrite

I'm confused here, so they continue to only gain evocation spells from 10th level casting, or does "evocation" mean something different here?

Anastasia

This would replace what we were previously doing.

The epic warmage would get x number of spells each level to choose to fill his epic warmage spell list. Those spells can be one of the following: An evocation on the sor/wiz spell list or a spell that fits based on the non epic warmage spell list.

So if you wanted to grab an evocation? Great, it's done, no further examination needed. Otherwise, it needs to fulfill the second requirement.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Benyen reaches level 32.

- Fighter 32 and Fist of Raziel 22.
- 9 on a d10 for a total of 23 hit points and a grand total of 632 hit points.
- +1 BAB for a total of 32.
- Gains 27th level paladin spellcasting. He selects another heal spell.
- All saves rise by one.
- Charisma rises by 1 to 32.
- Benyen selects the following feats: Armor Skin(F32), Spectral Strike(FoR22).

DONE. DONE WITH LEVEL UPS. YAY.
<Afina> Forever.

Nephrite

Quote from: Anastasia on December 23, 2018, 05:59:59 PM
This would replace what we were previously doing.

The epic warmage would get x number of spells each level to choose to fill his epic warmage spell list. Those spells can be one of the following: An evocation on the sor/wiz spell list or a spell that fits based on the non epic warmage spell list.

So if you wanted to grab an evocation? Great, it's done, no further examination needed. Otherwise, it needs to fulfill the second requirement.

Ah! Okay, I thought it had to meet all the criteria.

In that case, I think 1 is fine? It matches the progression for sorc/wiz for the most part... actually, does warmage have its own Epic spell progression, or did the original just curb from sorc/wiz to begin with?

Anastasia

It's essentially copied sorc progression, with the sole exception of getting one less 9th level spell at level 20.
<Afina> Forever.

Nephrite

Okay. Then it's probably fine to just say 1. You might be better served by just saying "warmages gain the same spells as epic sorcerers" though, unless you want to differentiate it and make it distinct.

Anastasia

Bolded part is changed. Does that read better?

Spellcasting

At 21st level and every level thereafter, the epic warmage's spellcasting improves. His caster level increases as normal. Further, once the epic warmage obtains the Epic Spell Capacity feat, he gains spells of 10th level and higher. Unlike non epic casting, the epic warmage has no spell list for spells of 10th level or higher. Instead, he may choose x spells at each level. These spells may be of any level from 10th level to the highest level of spells he can cast. These spells are added to his spell list and may be cast normally. The epic warmage's spells per day are the same as an epic sorcerer's.

Epic warmages do not gain spells known from level 21 and on until they obtain the Epic Spell Capacity feat. Once they do, they gain any spells they would have gained from level 21 onward.
<Afina> Forever.

Nephrite

Anastasia

Anyway, I'm thinking two spells per level up is the way to go. It's more than say a sorc gets, but sorcs get a vastly expanded variety of choices to compensate for it.  Warmages are mostly choosing which ways they want to blast things.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Sanzha is now rebuilt. I may tweak her a little bit before she shows on screen again, but this is little things.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Spellcasting

At 21st level and every level thereafter, the epic warmage's spellcasting improves. His caster level increases as normal. Further, once the epic warmage obtains the Epic Spell Capacity feat, he gains spells of 10th level and higher. Unlike non epic casting, the epic warmage has no spell list for spells of 10th level or higher. Instead, he may choose a new spell at each level. These spells may be of any level from 10th level to the highest level of spells he can cast. These spells are added to his spell list and may be cast normally. The epic warmage's spells per day are the same as an epic sorcerer's.

---

There, that's finalized. I'll see how it works for them. Honestly, warmages are about expanding the list anyway, be it by rainbow servant or other shenanigans. I'm going to post this on the DM board for now and have an epic warmage sooner or alter that goes into this. But now generating up Xandra's spell list.
<Afina> Forever.