News:

Game for the gaming god; co-op for the entertainment couch!

Main Menu

DM Nagging: It's pretty much my job

Started by Anastasia, April 12, 2018, 12:35:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anastasia

Tossing this in here since I think I missed Cor on IRC.

> Lemme chat with you when session starts. In the meantime: Cor, if you get here, do you have any preference for your high cleric before I build her?

Just want to touch base with you before building her, since she'll be a more complex build. Let me know.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Anastasia

Meanwhile, inspiration is a funny thing. She was a one off line by Alicia today in thread, but something about it inspired me. Since I ended up waiting to touch base with Cor, I had some extra design time to work with.

Clara Eointir

Hi, I'm Clara. Is this seat taken? Great. So I I heard you asking about me when the mayor paid out the bounty reward for those trolls. I serve Saint Alicia as a paladin, a holy warrior that sees to the protection of others, as she protected all of us. I'm still young, I was born right around the death of Emperor Ferdi. My Dad didn't survive the war, but my Mom and family took good care of me; I always knew I was loved. My hobbies are reading scripture, telling stories and grooming Swifthoof, my heavenly mount. I strive to be the best paladin I can, including mixing in some of my family's more high flying fencing styles.

You see this rapier here? It was my Mom's when she was a warrior, and my Grandmother's and so on. It's named Eiontir, just like my last time. It's perfect for a warrior like me - after all, it's no two bladed sword or falchion, but Saint Alicia fought with a mere quarterstaff and defeated great evils with it. She's so inspiring, isn't she, and she's so beautiful and strong and the stories make her out to be incredible and all of her friends are incredible, like Syala and Latha and Antenora and Jessica, plus she's defeated emperors, demons, devils and liches, not to mention...er...

Er...

Sorry! I get excited talking about Saint Alicia. She's really the best. Why don't I get you a meal and rinks and we talk about her over it? She's the one who guided my blade against those trolls. I can tell you all the best stories about her. Like the time she faced a down Death itself over Balmuria, that's my favorite. You see, it was after...

- Clara Eointir, half elf paladin of Alicia Reynes, discussing herself and her faith to her future fiancee, Accursed Danlin.

Paladin 7//Swashbuckler 5/Knight of Sylica 2
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Nephrite on February 13, 2019, 06:40:55 PM
Quote from: Anastasia on February 13, 2019, 05:39:47 PM
Quote from: Nephrite on February 08, 2019, 12:34:21 PM1. Divine Favor
2. Blessed Aim - Another morale bonus that fits the inspiration theme.
3. Mass Aid - I think this continues to fit the idea of inspiration.
4. Glibness - This is more about personal inspiration, but I think it works. I could find a different one, though.
5. Atonement
6. Surge of Hope
7. Aura of Vitality  - This one is again, more morale-based inspiration. You're basically infusing either yourself or others with help.
8. Lion's Roar - Here we have one where you're showcasing a damage while also giving your allies a bit of pep in their step by being inspired.
9. Freedom - I can see arguments against this one, but Freedom (the word, not the spell) is one of the best things someone could be inspired to work on their own, so I feel like from a thematic standpoint it fits.

The old list is below for my personal reference.

1. Divine Favor
2. Share Talents
3. Glibness
4. Battlecry
5. Atonement
6. Surge of Hope
7. Empyreal Ecstasy
8. Crown of Glory
9. Moment of Prescience

1 is still good. 2's better than share talents, certainly. Mass aid fits. Atonement still works. Same with surge of hope. Lion's roar is a bit tangential but I can see it.

That leaves glibness, aura of vitality and freedom.

Freedom makes sense, insofar as there's no knock out option at 9th level. Any choice I saw would need some self justification due to that or a custom spell. So yeah, that's fair enough.

Go ahead and keep glibness, but I'd really rather swap aura of vitality out.

Okay, then I'll just swap it for the same thing, slightly different in Mass Animalistic Power. I was considering Holy Word/Whatever the evil version is but ehh, that one isn't as clean a fit, I think.

Animalistic is an enhancement bonus, but I think it still works?

Seems a little off brand if you ask me - it's not really about inspiration, it's about channeling the power of wild animals to bolster yourself. If you have an argument otherwise I'm all ears, like a freakish mutant.
<Afina> Forever.

Nephrite

That's fair, I don't really have much other than "It's a spell that's already a cleric spell, so it fits."

Righteous Wrath of the Faithful fits very well, but I don't know if there's an "evil" version of it, though I also don't know if there are really a lot of evil characters who'd actually fall under an "Inspiration" domain anyway.

I could also see Greater Restoration (fitting into the "I'll give you a hand up out of the situation you're in") but that feels less like a connection to me.

Maaaaaaybe Regenerate??

I think Righteous Wrath works really well, but if there's no "evil" counterpart to the spell then I don't know what to do there.

Anastasia

How about Greater Heroism? It's morale and it's certainly inspiring, as well as being 6th level sor/wiz, so getting it at 7 for cleric isn't indefensible.
<Afina> Forever.

Nephrite

I'd have no objections to that.

EDIT: I think it'd be good to replace Glibness with Heroism, too. That would fit better. What do you think of Heroism at 4 and Greater at 7?

Anastasia

That's fine if you want to do that, sure. Go ahead and paste an amended version of the domain with those, then?
<Afina> Forever.

Nephrite

On second thought, I think I like Glibness being there, because inspiration should also mean personal inspiration, and should ALSO mean you're good at convincing people to do things.

Inspiration Domain

Granted Power: Once per day, you may inspire yourself or another ally. You may increase a single attack, damage, skill check or saving throw roll by your Cleric level / 2.

1. Divine Favor
2. Blessed Aim
3. Mass Aid
4. Glibness
5. Atonement
6. Surge of Hope
7. Greater Heroism
8. Lion's Roar
9. Freedom

Anastasia

Actually, one more needed question. What kind of action is to to use the domain power?
<Afina> Forever.

Nephrite

I think Standard makes the most sense. Swift would probably be too strong, unless you think otherwise?

Corwin

Maybe one of those exalted classes that allow you to hit evil better, and vivacious spell?
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Anastasia

New worshiper post for Alicia. This one was mentioned yesterday and just slammed into place.  Go figure.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Nephrite on February 14, 2019, 10:32:47 AM
I think Standard makes the most sense. Swift would probably be too strong, unless you think otherwise?

Okay, posted in the spell collection.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on February 14, 2019, 11:24:00 AM
Maybe one of those exalted classes that allow you to hit evil better, and vivacious spell?

Sure, I'll see what classes fit and how much homebrew this is going to need, as well as figuring out her exact level.

Real talk a sec, is she someone you might be interested in interacting with and noding? You really have maybe one more slot left.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

Yes. I want a cool cleric, and I want to see a competent champion of Seira.
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake