DM Nagging: It's pretty much my job

Started by Anastasia, April 12, 2018, 12:35:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on March 11, 2019, 05:26:25 PM
Hey Dune, this feat doesn't really work within your epic rules: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/feats.htm#intensifySpell

Given improved metamagic and how cheap empower and maximize are even without it, there's no incentive of grabbing an epic feat that increases spells by 7 levels just to double them.

Maximize and empowered are houseruled to give x1.5 for any spell, and only cost a 5 spell level increase. With improved metamagic, that drops to +3. The discrepancy between improved metamagic and intensify spell means you would never choose the latter as your epic feat of choice, which is sad. Can you make intensify more attractive?

I've been considering a decrease to +5. I don't want to change the feat's mechanics, as double max damage is pretty good as it is, it just suffers the way things have worked out.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Anastasia

Amaryl reaches level 33.

- Dragonbreath Archer 12 and Sorcerer 18.
- Max hit points per hit die, for a total of 18 hit points and a grand total of 572 hit points.
- +1 BAB for a total of +27.
- Spell resistance rises by 1 to 48.
- Gains 20th level sorcerer spellcasting. This provides 2 more 9th level spells per day and 1 more 9th level spell known. Amaryl selects unbinding, mostly to acknowledge the fact that it's utility and at this point, she already has time stop and wish at that level. Her slots are pretty spoken for in that case, so she'd rather have something only needed occasionally, but really useful when it is.
- No change to saves.
- Skills go up as normal.
- Amaryl gains two new feats: Ignore Material Components(33), Distant Shot(DBA12). She freed up a feat earlier from bonus feats from SDAs, so she has a free feat to play with this level. She'll grab that for now and maybe retrain it a little later, once she can spend a sorcerer bonus feat on it.

Okay level up. Feels in between for her the way it worked out.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Lady Sanzha reaches level 33.

- Marid 33 and Madalani 9.
- Maximum hit points per hit die, for a total of 17 hit points and a grand total of 561 hit points.
- +1 BAB for a total of +33.
- Drench's dispel modifier rises by 1 to +33.
- Channel water's damage rises by 1 to 17d6.
- Spell resistance rises by 1 to 44.
- Channel water evolves into channel elements. She her racial powers tab for more details.
- Gains melody of water(trickle). Temp HP's always nice to have.
- Gains 31st level bard spellcasting. She gains a new 9th and 10th level spell per day and a new 10th level spell known. She selects Bredanalundalum's Wit.
- No change to saves.
- Lady Sanzha gets one new feat: Great Ability(Constitution)(33). Makes sense with her madalani focus now.

Lady Sanzha also wishes to talk to Seira as soon as they have a moment, as she has not been idle on other important fronts.

Anyway, good level for her.
<Afina> Forever.

Yulia

The last bit of Sanzha's will be finished when I get back on, computer problems.

Anastasia

Reminder: If you need custom spells, speak up ASAP. The more time I have, the better.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

Quote from: Anastasia on March 11, 2019, 07:17:48 PM
Hey Dune, this feat doesn't really work within your epic rules: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/feats.htm#intensifySpell

Given improved metamagic and how cheap empower and maximize are even without it, there's no incentive of grabbing an epic feat that increases spells by 7 levels just to double them.

Maximize and empowered are houseruled to give x1.5 for any spell, and only cost a 5 spell level increase. With improved metamagic, that drops to +3. The discrepancy between improved metamagic and intensify spell means you would never choose the latter as your epic feat of choice, which is sad. Can you make intensify more attractive?

I've been considering a decrease to +5. I don't want to change the feat's mechanics, as double max damage is pretty good as it is, it just suffers the way things have worked out.

Not +4?  >_>
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Corwin

Don't we know Orcus's divine rank from the rolls in Moore's thread?

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on March 12, 2019, 03:49:42 AM
Quote from: Anastasia on March 11, 2019, 07:17:48 PM

Not +4?  >_>

No. Baseline Empower + Maximize is +5. I can't remotely justify making Intensify +4 based on that. +5 is a stretch, but justified thanks to spending an epic feat on it and the fact that Empower + Maximize responds so well to Improved Metamagic.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on March 12, 2019, 03:50:45 AM
Don't we know Orcus's divine rank from the rolls in Moore's thread?

Yes, 16.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

I'll go with Enhance Spell for lvl33, and Spell Stowaway/Time Stop for the bonus spell of Epic Arcane Trickster 12 (lvl32).

Corwin

Quote from: Anastasia on March 12, 2019, 08:05:29 AM
No. Baseline Empower + Maximize is +5. I can't remotely justify making Intensify +4 based on that. +5 is a stretch, but justified thanks to spending an epic feat on it and the fact that Empower + Maximize responds so well to Improved Metamagic.

I get your reasoning, but for me Empower+Maximize cost an effective +2 increase if I use both on a spell. Getting x2 instead of x1.5 for an effective +2 increase would be better, but not if I need to pay an epic feat for it. Still, maybe someone else will grab it so why not make the +5 thing an official houserule? No one's going to be taking it at +7.

Anastasia

Kascha reaches level 33.

- Ghaele 33 and Wyrm Wizard 23.
- Max hit points per hit die, for a total of 17 hit points and a grand total of 564 hit points.
- +1 BAB for a total of +33.
- Damage reduction rises by 5 to 20/cold iron, epic and evil.
- Phoenix cry's healing rises by 1d6 to 17d6.
- Gains 33rd level wizard spellcasting. This gives her a new 13th level spell and 2 14th level spells. Kascha selects a maximized wrath of the elder treant, dreamscape and a maximized empowered wrath of the elder treant. She may make up a homebrew spell or two for 14th a bit later, but these will serve for now.
- No change to saves.
- Kascha selects Epic Toughness(33) as her new feat. Between this and max HP per HD, she's finally fixed her bad hit points. Aurora cheers.

Okay level.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on March 12, 2019, 11:46:53 AM
I'll go with Enhance Spell for lvl33, and Spell Stowaway/Time Stop for the bonus spell of Epic Arcane Trickster 12 (lvl32).

Cool, cool. See how enhance works for you.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on March 12, 2019, 01:36:34 PM
Quote from: Anastasia on March 12, 2019, 08:05:29 AM

I get your reasoning, but for me Empower+Maximize cost an effective +2 increase if I use both on a spell. Getting x2 instead of x1.5 for an effective +2 increase would be better, but not if I need to pay an epic feat for it. Still, maybe someone else will grab it so why not make the +5 thing an official houserule? No one's going to be taking it at +7.

I probably will once I'm out of level ups and/or someone takes it this level up set. I've been thinking about this change for some time.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Elle reaches level 33.

- Wizard 33 and Dragon Disciple 23.
- While she gets max hit points per hit die as a proxy of Seira, I'm going to roll Elle's HP for future reference in case she ever loses the template. She got an 11 on a d12, so noted. So -1 HP from this level if it ever happens.
- Max hit points per hit die, for a total of 25 hit points and a grand total of 801 hit points.
- +1 BAB for a total of +23.
- School Mastery (Evocation)'s bonus rises by 1 to +33.
- Gains 33rd level wizard spellcasting. This grants her a new 13th level spell and 2 14th level spells known. She'll grab greater polar ray and radiant stormx2. The latter are placeholders since she'll want something more custom and I don't want to slow myself down with spell creation right now.
- No change to saves.
- She gains a new feat, which is Superior Initiative(33).

Okay level. Don't have a strong opinion about it yet since I haven't done the spellwork for it.
<Afina> Forever.