News:

You have made a powerful enemy today, stop sign.

Main Menu

DM Nagging: It's pretty much my job

Started by Anastasia, April 12, 2018, 12:35:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anastasia

Zaaman Rul's up in misc NPC with the DvR adjustment.

It's less because he's going to play a role worthy of it - though he could - and more because I try not to edit C&M posts as they happen for changes. There's a variety of reasons for this, so I'll stick him in there for now.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Anastasia

Quote from: Iron Dragoon on June 08, 2019, 11:47:58 PM
Field of Blades
Transmutation
Level: Sorc/Wiz 7
Components: V, S,
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Close (25ft +5ft per 2 levels)
Area: One 10 foot square per level
Duration: 1 min./level, Special Concentration (See text)
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

As you cast this spell, the sound of a blade unsheathing can be heard. Your spell causes the ground to tremble noticeably under foot as it transform into blades of random design and push up from the ground.
These blades cause difficult terrain for everyone in the area and deals 1d6 per level (maximum of 15d6) and reduces land movement speed by half.

If the caster chooses to Concentrate on the spell, they can exert a level of control over it. This grants them two options per round: they can exclude creatures from the effect by drawing the blades in their path back into the ground, or they can target a flying creature with the spell, firing blades at a flying creature, dealing 1d6 damage per level (maximum of 10d6) with a Ranged Touch Attack. Any creature with the ability to fly from discernible anatomy (wings, for example) damaged this way loses their ability to fly.

The speed penalty and loss of flight lasts as long as the damaged creature is in the field and 1d4+1 rounds after they exit it.

Okay, needs some style changes and general adjustments. Lemme take a crack at it from here.

Field of Blades
Transmutation
Level: Sor/Wiz 7
Components: V, S
Range: Close (25ft + 5ft 2/levels)
Area: One 10ft square per level
Duration: 1 min/level or concentration; see text
Saving Throw: Reflex half
Spell Resistance: Yes

As you cast this spell, the sound of a blade unsheathing can be heard. The ground trembles noticeably underfoot as blades erupt in the area of the spell.

Any area with blades in it is considered difficult terrain. A creature within the area or who passes through the area takes 10d6 points of damage. Any creature that takes damage from the blades suffers foot injuries that reduce their land movement speed by half. This lasts until magical healing or rest restores hit points equal to the damage taken from this spell.

When this spell is cast, you can choose to concentrate on it. If you do, you exert a level of control over the blades. This changes the duration of the spell to concentration. Additionally, each round you may have the blades do one of the two following actions as a free action on your turn.

Control Blades: You can control the blades to exclude any creatures you wish from the effect, allowing them to pass through the affected area safely. The blades return once ac reature has passed through, which prevents other creatures from following safely.

Blade Shot: You can cause the blades to fire upwards up to 50ft and attack a creature directly above the area of the spell. This requires a ranged attack roll and deals 10d6 points of damage. These blades target wings and other anatomically discernible means of flight, a creature who flies from such means loses their ability to fly from this damage. This lasts until magical healing or rest restores hit points equal to the damage taken from this spell.

---

How does this look? Does this work for you?

Also, just looking for a person or two to chip in as a quick check: What level do you think this spell is?
<Afina> Forever.

Iron Dragoon

Looks good to me. I just sorta picked a spell level. Wasn't sure where it fit.
This is not the greatest post in the world, no... this is just a tribute.

Anastasia

Whoops, forgot to elaborate how the save works. Fixed.

Field of Blades
Transmutation
Level: Sor/Wiz 7
Components: V, S
Range: Close (25ft + 5ft 2/levels)
Area: One 10ft square per level
Duration: 1 min/level or concentration; see text
Saving Throw: Reflex half
Spell Resistance: Yes

As you cast this spell, the sound of a blade unsheathing can be heard. The ground trembles noticeably underfoot as blades erupt in the area of the spell.

Any area with blades in it is considered difficult terrain. A creature within the area or who passes through the area takes 10d6 points of damage. Any creature that takes damage from the blades suffers foot injuries that reduce their land movement speed by half. This lasts until magical healing or rest restores hit points equal to the damage taken from this spell. A successful Reflex save halves the damage and negates movement speed being halved.

When this spell is cast, you can choose to concentrate on it. If you do, you exert a level of control over the blades. This changes the duration of the spell to concentration. Additionally, each round you may have the blades do one of the two following actions as a free action on your turn.

Control Blades: You can control the blades to exclude any creatures you wish from the effect, allowing them to pass through the affected area safely. The blades return once a creature has passed through, which prevents other creatures from following safely.

Blade Shot: You can cause the blades to fire upwards up to 50ft and attack a creature directly above the area of the spell. This requires a ranged attack roll and deals 10d6 points of damage. These blades target wings and other anatomically discernible means of flight, a creature who flies from such means loses their ability to fly from this damage. This lasts until magical healing or rest restores hit points equal to the damage taken from this spell.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on June 09, 2019, 01:18:49 PM
I did read the rest of the commentary, I just preferred to focus on some parts of it first. Let me try to respond to all aspects here, then.

-Scale
It's unclear whether you would allow an epic Dispel spell (capped at +40) with an Area of 20-ft.-radius burst/level. Some of what you said suggested yes, some no. I'd appreciate having it cleared up. And if so, how would you price it.

Possibly. The main thing that all dispels have been pretty low range, with Rain of Desolation the one with the biggest range so far.  Expanding the range of dispels, which have so far avoided that sort of range expansion, requires some consideration. My gutshot is 'yes but high spell level adjustment and tread carefully'.

My gutshot is that a superb dispel with an expanded range, and not necessarily 20ft radius/level, would be a minimum of 15th or 16th level. This also depends on if it's area dispels or targeted dispels, which would adjust the considerations a good deal as well. Feel free to write something up here and I'll see how it looks. If you don't, I likely will experiment with this concept next time I sit down and work on new spells.

Quote-Saves and SR
How much would dropping a save from a spell would raise its spell level?

It's auto rejection. Don't do that.

QuoteWhat about SR?

It depends, but it usually isn't done. It's possible to peel away SR from a target - hi Factotum and Wyrm Wizard - but in general if a spell should give SR, it does give it. Most spells that lack it are spells that require an attack roll, and not even all of those.

QuoteWhat about both?

No.

QuoteForgetting Evocation was my mistake, but I did intend to drop the save. To me, that felt like a +1 spell level price given how this stuff usually works out, but I'd like to hear your thoughts. One of the things I liked most in epic spells in B is that many have primary effects that hit without a save, and a save (if it exists) only applies to the secondary splash damage.

Elaborate on what spells you have in mind here? I'm thinking mostly of spells that deal damage and an effect, and a save either stops the effect or halves the damage and stops the effect.

Quote-Damage cap
From what I understand, you're saying the level cap for a lvl12 spell (which Rain of Desolation is) should be much below 50d6, but it's balanced by how in our gaming history it only reached that once in nine uses? If I intended to use this spell only for situations where I believed I could reach the cap, would that make the spell unbalanced in your eyes?

The average damage of a 12th level spell is somewhat below 50d6, though it's not the most damaging 12th level spell there is. There's variance, there's highs and lows. There's usually a soft cap in place by what the other spells are and how that informs the damage level of that level's direct damage spells.

I'd say as written the spell's unbalanced for the reasons I said previously. This is a situation where intended use doesn't really matter, because on paper I have serious problems with the spell's balance.

Quote-Dispel cap
How would you price a jump from +30 to +40 in spell levels? What about to +35? +45?

2-3 levels is about right, usually. Example: Dispel Magic is level 3 and Greater Dispel Magic is level 6. There's variance here, especially because dispels usually pick up a secondary function or gimmick to them rather than just being another iteration of Dispel Magic.

QuoteAnd a question about Rain of Desolation, since I've been thinking about it. It's listed as [Cold] in the description, but its name and the fluff suggest it's cold water. Would it do double damage vs Imix, or does it need to explicitly be a [Water] spell for that?

It's rain, I'd allow it to do double damage in that case. The ability's written saying 'spells that deal damage using water' rather than calling on water subtype spells, so it works fine.

This isn't a question I'd normally answer, but his build is publicly posted and it's a situation where I feel the clarification is worthwhile.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

The divine gift rules have been updated. Part 10 in particular, which is reproduced here. Additions are in bold.

10. Finally, the direct servants of deities are usually awash in the power of the divine. For example, Latha has her sun based powers and Donald his luck powers. You generally can't reward them often as they're considered nearly full already. It's not off the table in a suitable situation, but for balance reasons I'd rather not have it be anything but a rare treat. Rewards to your direct allies are 1 per 3 levels. The proxy template being left on them fills up any remaining chances for bonuses - it's already a big boost, bigger than the rewards you could give with divine gifts. An occasional dip into being a proxy doesn't trigger this, but someone being a full time proxy triggers this.

I had a long thought about this last night and ultimately decided on the following.

1. If you're what's looking to be a permanent (or at least semi permanent proxy), you've already gotten plenty of a power up. Since I suspect it may be asked: The line between occasional dip and full time is a DM judgment call.
2. I left how often it could be done open before, so codifying it to have a 3 level cooldown is simply setting a standard to it. This is roughly what I had in mind when I wrote that, it just didn't get clarified at the time.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

6/10/19: Added some added detail to how Pathfinder material can be used. Short version: I haven't seen much I usually want to bring over in all my years running with it, and some of it has various problems due to the divergences between 3.5 and Pathfinder, so be aware that I'm giving any Pathfinder material an extra careful look. To be honest, this matches how I've treated in the few times it comes up the past few years.

From houserules. It isn't banning the options there, but be aware that I'll be taking an extra close look at anything from there. Do note as a rule I'm happy not seeing much Pathfinder material to begin with, as this is a 3.5 game and not a Pathfinder game.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Spells updated with Asgeroth's spells and those old spells of Seira's.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Second to last draft of this. I'm going to sleep on it and see if any changes need to be made. If you see any errors or have any suggestions, you're welcome to make them. I think it's a hard template to price, but +4 roughly works.

Elemental Harmony Template

Creatures of elemental harmony are the result of Seira Aryn's deep research into harmonizing the elements. They are balanced between all four elements and have reached a state of enlightenment as a result.

Creating an Elemental Harmony Creature

"Elemental Harmony" is an acquired template that can be added to any living creature (referred to hereafter as the base creature).

Size and Type

The base creature's size and type are unchanged.

Speed

An elemental harmony creature can fly at the base creature's land speed (perfect maneuverability) and swim at the base creature's land speed.

Special Attacks

An elemental harmony creature retains all the special attacks of the base creature and also gains the following special abilities.

Elemental Energy (Ex)

The elemental harmony creature's command of the elements is without peer, replacing one with the other easily. A number of times a day equal to the base creature's Constitution modifier, they may change a spell, spell-like ability or supernatural ability that deals acid, cold, electricity or fire damage to one of the other listed types of damage. For example, a fireball could be changed to deal cold damage instead of fire damage. Any relevant descriptors for a spell or spell-like ability change appropriately. For example, a fireball changed to deal cold damage would lose the fire descriptor and gain the cold descriptor.

Elemental Tempest (Su)

Three times per day as a standard action, the elemental harmony creature can emit a burst of raw elemental power. This is a 20ft radius burst that has a range of 100ft. This deals 1d6 points each of acid, cold, electricity and fire damage. This damage rises by 1d6 for each type of damage for every four hit dice the base creature has.

Special Qualities

An elemental harmony creature has all the special qualities of the base creature, plus the following special qualities.

Elemental Grace (Su)

An elemental harmony creature is never hindered or harmed by the air, earth, fire and water dominant traits of a plane. When in a quasi-elemental or para-elemental plane, this applies to the positive and negative dominant traits as well. Treat this as an avoid planar effects spell with a caster level equal to the base creature's hit dice.

Elemental Harmony (Ex)

An elemental harmony creature is balanced between all the elements and threatened by none of them. They gain immunity to acid, cold, electricity and fire damage.

Abilities

Increase from the base creature as follows: Str +2, Dex +2, Con +4, Int+2, Wis+4, Cha+2.

Level Adjustment

+4.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

From epic skills, a new epic usage of spellcraft. This one gets requested a lot and I don't think it's unreasonable.

Follow Plane Shift

You can follow the paths of magic that part dimension and study it to reveal the plane of destination for a plane shift, greater plane shift or similar spell. You may only do this when studying the lingering magic of an already cast spell. This reveals the plane and the layer, if applicable. Following plane shift takes a full round action.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

Quote from: Anastasia on June 10, 2019, 10:56:10 PM
From epic skills, a new epic usage of spellcraft. This one gets requested a lot and I don't think it's unreasonable.

Follow Plane Shift

You can follow the paths of magic that part dimension and study it to reveal the plane of destination for a plane shift, greater plane shift or similar spell. You may only do this when studying the lingering magic of an already cast spell. This reveals the plane and the layer, if applicable. Following plane shift takes a full round action.

How long does it linger?
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Anastasia

Depends on the strength of the spell. This is covered in detect magic.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

A brief question on dispel caps. The dvr mod is added to the rolls on top of a cap? So for a greater dispel I'd roll 1d20+22, not 1d20+20?

Corwin

Reworded as per your suggestion.
Cauldron's Hearth
Transmutation
Level: Clr 10, Sor/Wiz 10
Components: V, S, M, special
Range: Touch
Target: Creature touched
Duration: 1 round/level
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance No

Intoning a prayer to Seira and Sanzha, you call upon their insights into elemental harmony to make your elemental spells more fluid conceptually. The harmony of balance between the elements protects your spells from restrictions upon elemental magic that have been created by planar conditions, terrain or other spells. Conditions of impeded magic, such as needing a Spellcraft check to cast water spells in Fire, are negated for you for the duration of this spell.

Material Components

Cauldron steel mined personally by Yandrazrt, of no less than 1,000 gold value.

===

Shield of Sylica served as inspiration

I'm pondering on the specifics. For Imix's Desiccating Aura, the need to use Spellcraft is negated, but water spells within the Aura still immediately dry up? For the Plane of Fire, is ongoing Fire damage negated as with Attune Form, or still taken? I'd like to see how this stuff resolves to determine how to price the spell.

Anastasia

An analysis of 10th level damage dealing spells. The purpose of this is to get a grasp of what the average damage of a 10th level spell is and how things balance out. The ground rules here are simple: The spell's maximum amount of damage dice are assumed. So while you're get these spells at a base CL of 21, this is looking at effectiveness once you reach a high enough caster level to get everything you can out of it. Certain spells that deal a minor amount of damage as a secondary effect are omitted so that they don't skew the average.

Raw List

Spell Name/Damage, Max Damage and Average Damage/Targeting/Misc Effects/Save Type/Spell Resistance

Asgeroth's Groundbreaker/25d6, 150, 87.5/5ft line per level, reaches up to 100ft above the line/Creates difficult terrain that deals 5d6 going through/None due to ranged touch/Yes
Bone Burst/25d6, 150, 87.5/1 creature per level/slowed and sickened/Fortitude partial, reduces damage to 10d6 and negates slowed and sickened/Yes
Canderella's Sudden Thunderbolts/20d6, 120, 70/1 creature per level/None/Reflex Half/Yes
Cleansing Rain/20d6, 120, 70/80 by 80 cylinder/Damage per round for 1 round per CL, dissolves slain creatures/Reflex half at -4/Yes
Corruptor's Touch/20d6, 120, 70/Creature touched/Alignment change to evil/Will partial/Yes
Gae Assail/30d6, 180, 105 OR 30d12, 360, 195/Ray/Blinds/None due to ranged touch/Yes
Gathgorian's Fireball/25d6, 150, 87.5/40ft spread/Ignores fire resistance and immunity for chaotic or good/Reflex half/Yes
Greater Cone of Cold/30d6, 180, 105/60ft cone/None/Reflex half/Yes
Hellball/40d6, 240, 140/40ft radius spread/Damage is 10d6x4 for all elements but cold/Reflex half/Yes
Seira's Fireburst/40d10, 400, 220/5ft burst/Creatures slain reduced to ash/Reflex half, reduces base damage to 5d10/Yes
Sonic Shattering/30d6, 180, 105/80ft/Crystalline creatures only, otherwise damage is 15d6, defeans and dispels, complex/Fortitude partial/Yes
Star Explosion/25d6, 150, 87.5 OR 25d10, 250, 137.5/70ft radius spread/d10 damage is vs creatures vulnerable to bright light/Reflex half/Yes
Stone Skewers/35d6, 210, 122.5/1 creature/A bunch of effects, see the spell/Fortitude partial/Yes
Telay's Ice Horror/30d6, 180, 105/1 creature/Slain creature becomes an ice golem/Fortitude partial/Yes
True Meteor Swarm/30d6, 180, 105/60ft impact crater/Secondary damage from secondary meteorites/Reflex half/Yes
Unseen Needle/25d6, 150, 87.5/1 creature/Invisible needle is hard to detect/None due to ranged touch/No
Vitrification Bomb/20d6, 120, 70/10ft cube per 5 levels/Various effects, see spell/Reflex half/No

So what do I take away from this?

1. Average damage is roughly around 25d6. So scoring about 90 damage on an average casting of a 10th level spell is about right, though this can swing higher on certain single targeted spells.
2. Most spells of this level have some effect beyond raw damage, or otherwise have an unusual way of adjudicating the damage they deal. There's very few 'x damage, done' spells, even if it's merely more damage against a certain type of creature.
3. A good 10th level spell should be both interesting and not just a glob of damage. I think this fits fairly well. You have spells like Asgeroth's Groundbreaker, that causes a visceral effect on the battlefield as well as hitting enemies, or Telay's Ice Horror, that creates a golem from a slain foe. There's very much a feeling of pushing the boundaries, of doing magic more interesting beyond merely a bigger fireball. This produces a sense of doing something, of being active on the game world in more of a way than just dealing damage.
4. Ranged touch spells with no save are extremely uncommon and that's as designed. SR ignoring spells are likewise rare, though Vitrification Bomb is also an old spell that needs revamping. Otherwise that's just Unseen Needle.

Specific Spell Notes

1. Stone Skewers and Vitrification Bomb are old spells and it shows. They could use sprucing up.
2. Seira's Fireburst is a strange spell and this was known when I approved it. By the way, it it supposed to be a flat 5d10 on a save or 5d10 halved, Seira? The text is a little unclear, I think that's an editing snarl somewhere along the line. Anyway, I don't think it has a lot of analysis value due to how the save completely guts the damage.
3. Gae Assail may be better as an 11th level spell. It's enough of an outlier that it feels like it may well be underpriced by a spell level. I don't believe it's seen much use in B6, so sitting down and figuring out of it is isn't a big priority.
4. Hellball is balanced for what it is despite the out of line damage, due to how the elemental damage works and stacks up.
<Afina> Forever.