News:

"The truth is stranger than fiction, but not stranger than fanfiction."

Main Menu

DM Nagging: It's pretty much my job

Started by Anastasia, April 12, 2018, 12:35:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on June 11, 2019, 01:53:07 AM
A brief question on dispel caps. The dvr mod is added to the rolls on top of a cap? So for a greater dispel I'd roll 1d20+22, not 1d20+20?

Yes. The cap for dispels is just what your CL can provide. Things like that or the granted power of the Inquisition domain go above that unless noted otherwise.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Corwin

Thanks. Thought as much but decided to reconfirm.
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on June 11, 2019, 05:27:51 AM
Reworded as per your suggestion.
Cauldron's Hearth
Transmutation
Level: Clr 10, Sor/Wiz 10
Components: V, S, M, special
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Target: Creature touched
Duration: 1 round/level
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance No

Intoning a prayer to Seira and Sanzha, you call upon their insights into elemental harmony to make your elemental spells more fluid conceptually. The harmony of balance between the elements protects your spells from restrictions upon elemental magic that have been created by planar conditions, terrain or other spells. Conditions of impeded magic, such as needing a Spellcraft check to cast water spells in Fire, are negated for you for the duration of this spell.

Material Components

Cauldron steel mined personally by Yandrazrt, of no less than 1,000 gold value.

===

Shield of Sylica served as inspiration

I'm pondering on the specifics. For Imix's Desiccating Aura, the need to use Spellcraft is negated, but water spells within the Aura still immediately dry up? For the Plane of Fire, is ongoing Fire damage negated as with Attune Form, or still taken? I'd like to see how this stuff resolves to determine how to price the spell.

Okay, reading it through here, I think there's a few problems that boil down to this.

1. Elemental magic isn't a mechanical term. It's a situation where you need a defined term or define something in the spell and define it precisely.
2. Even then what precisely it blocks and how it interacts is fuzzy because of this.
3. As of now it doesn't need the special in components. Minor issue.

I'll level with you - I like the attempt at being brief here and nailing the spell down. I really do, it's unfortunately a situation where the concept doesn't support it due to a need to define terms.

So let's start with a few:

1. What do you mean by 'elemental magic?' I'd presume earth, fire, air and water descriptor spells (or perhaps the more expansive description the various impeded magic planar traits use), but that's an educated guess.

2. What do you mean by restrictions? Impeded magic is a good example, but I think that needs more elaboration.

<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

11th level damage spells should be up tomorrow, I was going to do it last night but I forgot the PYR reboot premiered last night.
<Afina> Forever.

Iron Dragoon

Buff spread for divvying up:

Long Duration:

Everyone:
Create Magic Tattoo: +1 Spellcaster Level, CL 32, Duration: 24 Hours.
Spoiler: ShowHide
+1 spellcaster level.

Create Magic Tattoo: Spell Resistance 20, CL 29, Duration: 24 Hours.
Spell resistance equal to 10 + 1 per three caster levels.

Create Magic Tattoo: +1 Luck to Attack, CL 25, Duration: 24 Hours.
+1 luck bonus on attack rolls.

Magic Vestment +5 (Shield), CL 23, Duration 23 Hours.
+5 armor bonus to armor/shield.

Greater Magic Weapon:Life-Drinker +5, CL 33, Duration: 32 Hours.
enhancement bonus on attack and damage rolls of +5

Mind Blank, CL 33, Duration: 24 Hours.
This spell protects against all mind-affecting spells and effects as well as information gathering by divination spells or effects. Mind blank even foils limited wish, miracle, and wish spells when they are used in such a way as to affect the subject's mind or to gain information about it. In the case of scrying that scans an area the creature is in, such as arcane eye, the spell works but the creature simply isn't detected. Scrying attempts that are targeted specifically at the subject do not work at all.

Energy Immunity (Cold), CL 33, Duration: 24 Hours.
Immunity to Cold.

Energy Immunity (Electricity), CL 33, Duration: 24 Hours.
Immunity to Electricity.

Energy Immunity (Acid), CL 33, Duration: 24 Hours.
Immunity to Acid.

Mass Energy Immunity (Sonic), CL 33, Duration: 24 Hours.
Immunity to Sonic.

Epic Mage Armor, CL 33, Duration: 33 Hours.
This spell is identical to mage armor, except that it grants a +20 armor bonus to armor class.

Agility of the Dragon Princess, CL 33, Duration: 33 Hours.
+4 insight bonus to Dex.

Mind of the Dragon Princess, CL 33, Duration: 33 Hours.
+4 insight bonus to Int.

Endurance of the Dragon Princess, CL 33, Duration: 33 Hours.
+4 insight bonus to Con.

Pre-Combat (10 min/level):

Everyone:

Heroics, CL 33 Duration: 330 minutes.
Improved Initiative.

+4 to initiative checks.

Spiderskin, CL 33, Duration: 330 minutes.
+5 ehnacnce to Natural Armor, racial bonus on saves vs. poison, racial bonus on Hide checks.

Hamatula Barbs, CL 33, Duration: 330 minutes.
Any creature that hits with a handheld or natural weapon takes 1d8 points of slashing and piercing.

Combat Readiness, CL 33, Duration: 330 minutes.
+6 insight bonus on initiative checks. If flanked, opponents gain no bonus on attack rolls.

Interplanar Telephatic Bond, CL 33, Duration: 330 minutes.
Self +11 gain a telepathic bond that functions on the same plane and across planes.

Self Only:
Spell Turning, CL 33, Duration: 330 minutes.
Turn 1d4+6 spell levels of spells and spell-like abilities.[/i]

Battlemage's Touch, CL 33, Duration: 330 minutes.
Use your caster level plus your casting ability in place of base attack bonus and dexterity modifier when you make ranged touch attack rolls with a spell you cast.

Pre-Combat (1 min/level):

Everyone:

Power of the Huntress, CL 33, Duration: 33 minutes.
+10 enhancement to str, dex, con. +8 enhancement to Natural Armor. +20 competence bonus to Hide/Move Silently, +6 to iniative checks, cannot be flatfooted, gain Combat Reflexes feat, and scent special quality.

Blade of the Vampire, CL 33, Duration: 33 minutes.
Weapon deals an extra 1d8 points of damage to living creatures, heals user for equal amount.

This is not the greatest post in the world, no... this is just a tribute.

Anastasia

Draft 1. Still plunking at it, this spell is complicated and requires fairly precise wording. This isn't done and it needs tightening. Todos: Spell level is a placeholder that will be changed on a final version, consider some sort of possible caster level check for spells above a certain level, possibly. Depends on how this balances. Tighten language more and hone the phrasing down.

Any suggestions welcome on wording or any concerns, this spell started as a neat idea and has been a bear to get right. I think it's gonna be the record holder when it's done.

Cauldron's Hearth
Transmutation
Level: Clr 10, Sor/Wiz 10
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Target: Creature touched
Duration: 1 round/level
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance No

Through the blessings of the Cauldron, your magic is bolstered by elemental harmony. Your spells ignore the impeded magic trait of the Inner Planes, including quasi and para elemental planes. Conditions that block spells with the air, earth, fire and water descriptors can be ignored, as follows. Local conditions that would stop, impede or otherwise interfere with those spells are ignored. Spells that would prevent those spells from being cast are likewise ignored.

This protection does not extend to a spell being countered. Natural conditions that may stop a spell still do so (such as a simple fire spell being ineffective due to casting it at a target within a lake). Antimagic and dead magic areas still suppress these spells as normal.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

I think this one should be revised or taken out:

QuoteNatural conditions that may stop a spell still do so (such as a simple fire spell being ineffective due to casting it at a target within a lake).

Casting fire spells underwater is basically the same simple spellcraft check that exists under impeded magic, which the spell is meant to allow you to ignore.

That's an issue with the example rather than with natural conditions in general, true, but I can't think of any other natural conditions that would actually get in the way. Trying to cast a fire spell on Earth while traveling ethereally through the rock and not having the open space to target something with it?

Corwin

Since I got diverted again, let's just make this happen OOC. Sanzha is directed to provide the Io book to Moore, and she'll deliver it personally to him given its importance.

Neph, where are we on the Calley notes front? When's the last time we compared our notes?

Nephrite

I think it was at Io, if I'm not mistaken.

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on June 14, 2019, 04:49:55 AM
I think this one should be revised or taken out:

QuoteNatural conditions that may stop a spell still do so (such as a simple fire spell being ineffective due to casting it at a target within a lake).

Casting fire spells underwater is basically the same simple spellcraft check that exists under impeded magic, which the spell is meant to allow you to ignore.

That's an issue with the example rather than with natural conditions in general, true, but I can't think of any other natural conditions that would actually get in the way. Trying to cast a fire spell on Earth while traveling ethereally through the rock and not having the open space to target something with it?

Something like that, yeah. I felt it's a clause that should be in there, but thinking up a good, natural reason for it the way magic works is hard.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

Quote from: Nephrite on June 14, 2019, 08:52:39 AM
I think it was at Io, if I'm not mistaken.

Did you gain anything new since?

Nephrite

I'm at 240 now which I think is higher than we were at at Io. I'd have to check the thread to verify.

Corwin

Purifications! What are the quests for these EVIL items?

Inevitable: This ring was worn by Agares, appearing as a wide band of dead gray metal that slowly twists into nothing as it loops around, ending just before it finishes making the ring, leaving a tiny gap in it. Any time a creature deals lethal damage to the wearer, they must make a DC 30 will save. Failure deals 18 points of damage, the wearer healing the same amount minus 1. In addition, it grants a +2 profane bonus to armor class and saving throws. [Inevitable radiates strong evil.]

Todesurteil: This lantern sheds life draining green light in a thirty foot radius. Each round a being is exposed to it, they suffer one point of vile consitution drain. This can only be healed by a Restoration spell cast in a sanctified area.

Sorrowful Sword: Large greatsword+6. Any damage this blade deals is vile damage. As a swift action, you may attempt to absorb a spell cast on you into the blade. Make an opposed caster level check, the sword has a modifier of 1d20+33. Success absorbs and negates the spell, failure has the spell unaffected. 350,000 gold.

Dead Moons: 2 chakrams+6, unholy and returning. When both chakrams strike the creature, a delayed blast fireball modified by the corrupt spell metamagic is cast (CL24th), centered on where the creature stands.  The thrower of Dead Moons is immune to this fireball. 287,500 gold.

Nightfall: Bracers of Armor+14. Grants a +2 profane bonus to the caster level of spells from the evil domain. 280,000 gold.

Decursing! Here my intent is to request Legend Lore (the long version), along with divine power'd creator and last owner names, and if possible the name of the person/being who cursed them.

Qualles: This cloak of elvenkind grants a +15 competence bonus to Stealth checks and a +6 enhancement bonus to Dexterity. When worn by an elf, they gain a +2 bonus to Dexterity (stacks with the enhancement bonus), a +2 to attack rolls with long swords or longbows and a +5 bonus to saves against enchantment spells and effects. However, Qualles is cursed. Any who wear it suffer 4d10 damage per round and are nauseated (no save). As it is cursed, no price is provided.

Star Shot: Longbow+5, anarchic. Gains the ghost touch, holy and keen properties under star light or in the hands of a star elf. Star Shot is cursed. Whenever an arrow is fired from it, one of the wielder's fingers are sliced away by the razor sharp bowstring. This deals 3d10 damage as well as results in the loss of a finger. A DC 20 Dexterity check avoids this fate. This check must be repeated for each arrow and any result of a natural 1 always fails this check, no matter how the total. As it is cursed, no price is provided.

Star Sword: Longsword+5, holy. Gains the ghost touch, keen and frost properties under star light or in the hands of a star elf. Star Sword is cursed. Any attack with it has a 25% chance to strike an adjacent ally instead. If there is no adjacent allies, the attack instead targets the wielder. As it is cursed, no price is provided.

Reforging. Technically somewhere between purification and remaking an item, perhaps at a loss. I'm wondering whether I could do it for these items (via Elle or a deity with Create Artifact) since Amaryl thinks they're icky but I can see ways to twist the underlying concept into cool items she'd use.

[Storage]Bowl of Lost Treasures: This bowl can steal treasures from up to ten creatures at once. It steals the magic item the creature values the most (as if by a Soul's Treasure Lost spell), except they are absorbed into the bowl rather than being destroyed. With the proper command word, objects absorbed by the bowl can be freed from it.

[Storage]Shadowbond Ring: Grants a +1 bonus to caster level to spells that draw on shadows, such as shadow evocation.

Corwin

Incidentally, Kascha has the following on her sheet. We should plant them!

[Misc]Black Rose Seeds: These seeds are for black roses said to be native to the Deep Ethereal plane. Grow them and who knows what magic they'll have.

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on June 16, 2019, 11:29:49 AM
Incidentally, Kascha has the following on her sheet. We should plant them!

[Misc]Black Rose Seeds: These seeds are for black roses said to be native to the Deep Ethereal plane. Grow them and who knows what magic they'll have.

Got anyone in your node who has any related skills for this or magic to help?
<Afina> Forever.