News:

You have made a powerful enemy today, stop sign.

Main Menu

DM Nagging: It's pretty much my job

Started by Anastasia, April 12, 2018, 12:35:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anastasia

Black Glass Splash added to the spell collection. It's not available for selection until after Moore's current adventure finishes.

It is on her sheet now, but likewise restricted. I don't want to forget it and reinvent the wheel.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Anastasia

Tossing this spell up. It's experimental and from the depths of development. I'd really like opinions and feedback on this one.

Magic Missile Massacre
Evocation/Necromancy [Fear, Force, Mind-Affecting]
Level: Sor/Wiz 13
Components; V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Long (400ft + 40ft/level)
Target: One creature plus all creatures within 60ft; see text
Duration: Instantaneous and 1 round/level; see text
Saving Throw: Will partial; see text
Spell Resistance: Yes

This spell functions similar to magic missile and follows that spell, but with several adjustments noted here. You can only target one creature with this spell. You generate a number of missiles equal to your caster level times two, to a maximum of 80 missiles. This display of missiles is a gruesome spectacle, striking the target from all directions and punching through flesh and bone. All creatures within 60ft of the target must succeed on a Will save or be frightened. If the target is slain by this spell, this becomes panicked instead.

The target is not subject to being frightened or panicked by this spell, nor is the target allowed a Will save. Creatures affected by the fear are not subject to the damage from this spell. Immunity to mind-affecting or fear has no impact on the damaging aspect of this spell, nor does immunity to force damage impact the fear portion of this spell.

Creatures that are frightened or panicked by this spell are so affected for one round per caster level.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

Is the awkward phrasing there to negate Mettle?
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Anastasia

More for clarity with the save. Mettle's not really on the radar with this.
<Afina> Forever.

Ebiris

Yeah I get what the wording is going for there but it is super awkward.

Anastasia

That better?

Magic Missile Massacre
Evocation/Necromancy [Fear, Force, Mind-Affecting]
Level: Sor/Wiz 13
Components; V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Long (400ft + 40ft/level)
Target: One creature plus all creatures within 60ft; see text
Duration: Instantaneous and 1 round/level; see text
Saving Throw: Will partial; see text
Spell Resistance: Yes

This spell functions similar to magic missile and follows that spell, but with several adjustments noted here. You can only target one creature with this spell. You generate a number of missiles equal to your caster level times two, to a maximum of 80 missiles. This display of missiles is a gruesome spectacle, striking the target from all directions and punching through flesh and bone. All creatures within 60ft of the target (but not the target themselves) must succeed on a Will save or be frightened. If the target is slain by this spell, this becomes panicked instead. Creatures that are frightened or panicked by this spell are so affected for one round per caster level.

The Will save only applies to the creatures who would be frightened or panicked by this spell.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Anything else on that spell before I approve it?

---

Build charts are full updated, pending Yuth and Iddy's nodes levelling.
<Afina> Forever.

Ebiris

The wording's fair enough.

I'm not much of a fan of it, like in fluff terms being hit with a bunch of magic missiles is no more or less scary than being hit with a meteor swarm or an epic full attack, but someone could design a combo magic missile/fear spell because that's what they want so fair enough.

I just feel like thematically 'scary-violent' spells (as opposed to spells that are scary through spookiness like Fear) should either be the realm of metamagic or feats like frightful/daunting presence that get adapted for magic instead of melee attacks.

Anastasia

Tweaked Ranbar's spells. A few spells that are twinned are purely because they don't need to be barraged anymore. More adjustments later, going to sit down and run it by a few people.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Ebiris on September 10, 2019, 02:25:01 PM
The wording's fair enough.

I'm not much of a fan of it, like in fluff terms being hit with a bunch of magic missiles is no more or less scary than being hit with a meteor swarm or an epic full attack, but someone could design a combo magic missile/fear spell because that's what they want so fair enough.

I just feel like thematically 'scary-violent' spells (as opposed to spells that are scary through spookiness like Fear) should either be the realm of metamagic or feats like frightful/daunting presence that get adapted for magic instead of melee attacks.

Yeah, I kinda agree? I like the spell concept a lot but I'm not quite finding a way to it work as it is. I may fiddle with this one some more.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Working on spreadsheet support sheets. I have a beta for Antenora done and one for Amaryl mostly done. I'll start spreading these more once I get them to workable states. Those two make good testing dummies.

They aren't meant to be sheet replacements, but ways to handle math smoothly and serve as double checks for sheet math.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Changelot of fixes and notes for these spreadsheets. It lets me catch a lot of mistakes and clean up the sheets.

Antenora

Surprisingly none at all. I did do a minor sheet audit when she gained DvR1, so maybe I caught them all then.

Amaryl

Her con mod wasn't adjusted for level 34. Her HP was correct, it just read 330 instead of 340 for con mod. This is now fixed.
Fort and Will were too high and Ref was too low. This is fixed. Unfortunately, I forgot to record the exact changes, but it was within a few points as I recall. This mistake won't be made again, it was this and the other mistakes that lead me to making a change log.
Intimidate did not factor in the +2 bonus from draconic creature. This is now fixed and is 2 points higher.
Perception was +1 too high on her sheet. This is fixed, I suspect a simple math error here.
Readded Easy Metamagic in place of Split Ray, as I think that got mistakenly removed and not added back. It's a prereq she needs for Specialized Metamagic.

This doesn't surprise me, Amaryl's had a lot of tweaks and gains over the years and in this game. Not sure what was with the saves.

Jarem

Saves were a few points too low. 2 for Fort, 1 for Ref and 1 for Will, I believe.

Jarem isn't done, got other things to do today, so he may have more. He's also newer and fairly straightforward, so I think there's less ways for him to have mistakes. I hope.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quick note before I go off: Jarem's sheet had no more mechanical mishaps that I came across.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

Quote from: Anastasia on September 10, 2019, 09:40:41 PM
Tweaked Ranbar's spells. A few spells that are twinned are purely because they don't need to be barraged anymore. More adjustments later, going to sit down and run it by a few people.

Why doesn't it?

And incidentally, what's her divine salient ability from the proxy template?
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Anastasia

Unless I'm crazy, and correct me if I'm wrong I have emergency repairs to make them, wasn't it automatic metmagic?
<Afina> Forever.