News:

Because we're grown ups now, and its our turn to decide what that means.

Main Menu

DM Nagging: It's pretty much my job

Started by Anastasia, April 12, 2018, 12:35:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nephrite

Anastasia

Quote from: Nephrite on September 30, 2019, 11:34:32 AM
Moore's Marvelous Invisibility (name subject to change)

Illusion(Glamer)/Abjuration
Level: Bard 10, Sor/Wiz 12
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 10 minutes
Range: Personal or touch
Target: You or a creature or object weighing no more than 100 lb./level
Duration: 1 hour/level (D)
Saving Throw: Will negates (harmless)
Spell Resistance: No

This spell functions like Superior Invisibility, except as noted here. Creatures under the effect of the spell can not be detected by true seeing. In addition, this spell also functions as if nondetection had been cast on the recipient at the same caster level as this spell.

Sounds reasonable-ish. How do you intend for it to interact with higher level abilities to overcome illusions, such as an epic spell?
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Nephrite

I think, assuming that there was, say, an epic version of True Seeing (not Greater True Seeing, because I don't feel like that should count -- but if you do, we can have a separate discussion on that particular point), that it shouldn't just immediately uncover whatever has this on them.

Maybe allow for... I really don't know what kind of roll would be acceptable, Perception vs. Stealth?

Obviously, if there was something that dispelled illusions, I think that should work just fine... I'm trying to think of one that does so... is there a Selunite spell that does it, maybe? ...ah, yeah, there it is, Moonlight Revelation. I feel like that one is specific enough to this sort of thing that it ought to counter it, and other mundane things are always going to work, like if you throw a giant net or something...

I'm not sure if that answers your question in a fundamental and whole enough manner.

Ebiris

Wouldn't higher level divinations just have to work against the nondetection DC?

Barring invisibility purge which is an evocation.

Nephrite

That's a valid point, yes, I would agree with that.

Invisibility purge is an interesting one, since it really only has one job, but I don't know if I'd see it working on epic level versions of invisibility? I don't know on that one.

Corwin

Following our conversation, Dune, I'd be interested to learn more of Ron's insights into teleportation and portals.
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Anastasia

Looking for opinions here.

Magic Missile Massacre
Evocation [Force]
Level: Sor/Wiz 13
Components; V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Long (400ft + 40ft/level)
Target: One creature
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: Yes

This spell functions similar to magic missile and follows that spell, but with several adjustments noted here. You can only target one creature with this spell. You generate a number of missiles equal to your caster level times two, to a maximum of 80 missiles. A surviving creature is surrounded by an aura of force for one minute after. If the creature is ethereal, ghostly or otherwise incorporeal, any attack against it can strike and harm it as if were a force effect.
<Afina> Forever.

Ebiris

It's okay? I guess it's particularly useful if you're fighting a really buff ghost with your party. Otherwise it's just a lot of damage, which is nice enough.

Anastasia

Quote from: Nephrite on October 01, 2019, 08:59:13 PM
That's a valid point, yes, I would agree with that.

Invisibility purge is an interesting one, since it really only has one job, but I don't know if I'd see it working on epic level versions of invisibility? I don't know on that one.

That's pretty much it, but I wanted to be sure I understood where you were on that.

Okay, lemme make sure the spell's in proper D&Dese and I'll go move it over.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Ebiris on October 02, 2019, 11:24:07 AM
It's okay? I guess it's particularly useful if you're fighting a really buff ghost with your party. Otherwise it's just a lot of damage, which is nice enough.

At heart it's using excessive power to do something a pure warmage can't do - something like one of the spells that makes a ghost materialize or allows weapons the ghost touch property. It makes the most sense when understood it's a warmage's spell first and foremost.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on October 02, 2019, 01:09:56 AM
Following our conversation, Dune, I'd be interested to learn more of Ron's insights into teleportation and portals.

Portal Insights (Ex)

You gain a +3 bonus to Knowledge (Arcana) and Spellcraft checks regarding portals.

Moore's seen enough to get something like this as well frankly, but I'll cross that bridge when he's done with his current adventure.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

This look good, Moore? It's purely little rewordings and formatting.

Moore's Marvelous Invisibility
Abjuration/Illusion (Glamer)
Level: Brd 10, Sor/Wiz 12
Components: V, S
Range: Touch
Target: Creature touched or an object touched weighing no more than 100 lbs per caster level
Duration: 1 hour/level (D)
Saving Throw: Will negates (harmless)
Spell Resistance: No

This spell functions like superior invisibility, except as noted here. Creatures under the effect of the spell can not be detected by true seeing. In addition, this spell also provides the benefits of a nondetection spell.
<Afina> Forever.

Nephrite

Anastasia

Magic Missile Massacre and Moore's Marvelous Invisibility are in the collection now.
<Afina> Forever.

Nephrite

Greater Commune
Divination
Level: Clr 10 (11?)
Components: V, S, DF
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: 1 round/5 levels

This spell functions as commune, except that the answers can be as long as the being answering the questions wishes them to be.

(Should this have a cost too? Something higher to prevent it being used willy-nilly? Is this too good regardless of a cost?)