News:

"Destiny Challenged us and so we chose to end the world.  There was nothing to regret.  Nothing."

Main Menu

DM Nagging: It's pretty much my job

Started by Anastasia, April 12, 2018, 12:35:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nephrite

It's been really neat that Moore's been able to see what other groups are learning and apply it to himself, but also learn how to show others good ways to handle certain situations.
Because there is always hope.
It fits a lot with his motif.

Anastasia

Apologies for these being a little short, morning back pain killed my drive to write. I'd rather get something out than nothing.

Alyssa

My main thought is that Alyssa is a bit of a risk taker - as said, the Words are not safe to use. There's power there for sure, but be careful. One miscalculation or bit of bad luck and you'll burn yourself out like a twig in a bonfire. That being said, she did pretty well with them and is doing fine in her section. I liked how her and Moore approached the tavern problem. That and the general banter of the node feels good.

Seira

I want to say even if I don't have a lot of words on this - I'm not feeling verbose this morning - I like how Seira's handled most of the problems in this dungeon. She's kept her head and generally avoided mistakes. I have liked how she's pursued things with the blue and the white as well, she's done a great job there as has Moore. Really, the impression I've gotten from Seira here is general competence.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Anastasia

Commander Oberuth reaches level 34.

- Fighter 34 and Dwarven Defender 24.
- Maximum hit points per hit die, for a total of 35 hit points and a grand total of 1170 hit points.
- +1 BAB for a total of 34.
- Impossible step now triples Oberuth's movement speed.
- Impossible step now allows Oberuth to fly by ignoring gravity and the need for any anything to stand on.
- Trap sense rises by 1 to +6.
- No change to saves.
- A new feat: Epic Toughness(F34). That subs out for the level 24 Epic Toughness, which is retrained into Great Ability(Strength) so he can get closer to Pulverize.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Nephrite on December 16, 2019, 08:16:41 PM
It's been really neat that Moore's been able to see what other groups are learning and apply it to himself, but also learn how to show others good ways to handle certain situations.
Because there is always hope.
It fits a lot with his motif.

It's fit in pretty well, yeah.
I hope you're right about hope.
It's a step forward regardless, all of you have done well here.

<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Ebiris on December 16, 2019, 01:56:55 PM
Yeah, I mean helping out Queen is just a nice thing to do, but I've got high hopes for her ending up as a really strong ally in the future so it'll pay off too.

Funny how just being polite to the sad and crazy boss monster paid off so well.

Sometimes being polite is all you need. It is funny it worked out that way, because you also said the right things at the right times as well as had some luck.

I'm not shedding tears over it, as I did legitimately feel bad for her. As a reference, my prep for her began with the simple question: How could a being not limited by Creation's rules (kinda/sorta/it's complicated) dick over some poor lillend in an interesting and horrifying way?
<Afina> Forever.

Iron Dragoon

Quote from: Anastasia on December 17, 2019, 10:38:47 AM
Alyssa

My main thought is that Alyssa is a bit of a risk taker - as said, the Words are not safe to use. There's power there for sure, but be careful. One miscalculation or bit of bad luck and you'll burn yourself out like a twig in a bonfire. That being said, she did pretty well with them and is doing fine in her section. I liked how her and Moore approached the tavern problem. That and the general banter of the node feels good.

Well, it's sort of two fold. On one hand, she needs to learn, and learn fast. She's the furthest behind and knows it.

On the other hand, if she fails and dies, well... The universe is heading that way anyway. If she can increase her chances with a bit of a gamble when the pay off is that much higher than normal, well... Why not, really?

Like with the Abbey, she specifically picked it. It set itself up as a physical object, and a large one. Sure, changing that much material is a risk, but by having set itself up with that much material, she reasoned it was inherently more anchored to reality than maybe some of the others, so it'd be easier or faster to finish making that link stronger and whole.

I mean, sure, the others are an iron rod and and strands, but those things can become a lot of *other* things. They're a bit more flexible than an entire building.
This is not the greatest post in the world, no... this is just a tribute.

Anastasia

She does need to learn, though this is hopefully a big step forward on it. I get the logic about why you made the risk, admittedly. No comments if I think it was worth it, for obvious spoiler reasons.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Notes for level ups.

Level 35 IS NOT a level that grants a feat. The last was 33 and the next is 36.
Level 35 IS a level that grants a +1 bonus to all saves from epic save progression. The next after this is level 38.
Level 35 IS NOT a level that grants a stat point. The last was 32 and the net is 36.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Ebiris

Alicia reaches level 35
Sorcerer 35//Duskblade 18
+20 hp, +1 bab, +1 all saves, skills go up as normal, +1 SR
Sorcerer bonus feat! She takes Enhance Spell because that can make stuff like combust and vampiric touch even more fun to channel.
+1 Sorcerer/Duskblade/SLA CL
+1 14th level sorc spell per day, +1 14th level sorc spell known. She takes Soul Reave.

Soul Reave
Necronancy
Level: Sor/Wiz 14
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Close (25ft + 5ft 2/levels)
Target: One creature or object (see text)
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Will partial
Spell Resistance: Yes

This spell directly attacks the soul of the target, inflicting damage that is hard to resist or heal. The target suffers 1d4 points of damage per caster level to a maximum of 45d4, this damage is always considered lethal damage regardless of any regeneration the target possesses, and cannot be healed by magic or fast healing, requiring mundane rest and time to recover from.

Because most creatures do not have a physically present soul, this spell inflicts half damage on most creature types with no damage on a successful save as the body provides a buffer of protection for the soul - most humanoids, dragons, and corporeal undead fall under this.

Most mindless creatures such as golems and unintelligent undead have no soul and thus suffer no effect from this spell.

Outsiders, elementals, and incorporeal undead suffer the full effect as their body and their soul are one indivisible unit.

This spell does not completely destroy a soul however anything killed by it suffers a -50% penalty to their resurrection chance, and contingent methods of resurrection such as a lich's phylactery or a clone spell have a 50% chance of failing. If cast on a creature that is currently being possessed, such as by a magic jar spell, the spell only injures the possessing creature and not the host, though they are treated as a normal mortal even if they are actually an outsider or ghost because the host body acts as a buffer. Casting on the magic jar focus, or a crystal that has been used for a trap the soul spell, injures the creature as though they were an outsider regardless of their creature type.

Certain forms of soul mutilation may render a creature more vulnerable to this spell. The process of becoming a lich for instance will inflict a penalty to spell resistance and the will save of -11 (the caster level required to become a lich). A creature that has benefitted from Violet's skill implantation procedure suffers a penalty to spell resistance and the will save equal to the total number of class levels worth of skills gained.

Alicia intends to keep this spell a secret until the first time she actually casts it on someone, after which it will be in play normally like any other spell with no restriction on who can learn it.

+2 6th level duskblade spells per day, +1 6th level duskblade spell known.

I repeat my issue about there being no proper epic duskblade spell list, the homebrew epic duskblade page only links to custom spells where other epic duskblades (such as Donald and Imix) are clearly pulling in existing sorc/wiz spells. Both actually have the exact same spells known at this level too and Alicia will follow them.

She takes waves of exhaustion.

---

Marie reaches level 35
Outsider 35//Master of Missiles 4
+19 hp, +1 bab, +1 all saves, skills go up as normal, +1 SR
+1 sorcerer/SLA CL
Greater piercing missiles (magic missiles now ignore shield spell, greater globe of invulnerability, force immunity)
+1 13th level spell per day, +3 14th level spells per day (+4 with her charisma). +1 14th level spell known. She takes Duelist's Friend.

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on December 20, 2019, 07:06:04 AM
Must... read... book....

It shall be done soon, before we restart. I'm going to get my head above water with level ups first before doing those things, though. So we're on the same page and since I have a lot of plates in the air right now, refresh me on precisely what you want here?
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Level up looks fine, Eb.

QuoteI repeat my issue about there being no proper epic duskblade spell list, the homebrew epic duskblade page only links to custom spells where other epic duskblades (such as Donald and Imix) are clearly pulling in existing sorc/wiz spells. Both actually have the exact same spells known at this level too and Alicia will follow them.

She takes waves of exhaustion.

I need an updated list is what I need. I'll do that in a bit.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

How does it change the One ritual? If it's more feasible now, I'll try it first thing.
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Ebiris

Also to clarify something with Duelist's Friend.

Creatures under mind blank or epic abjurations that block divinations are not affected by this spell and the benefits of it do not apply against them.

Does that mean if Marie casts it on herself while she has mind blank up she receives no benefit, or does it mean if Marie is fighting Alicia who has mind blank up then Marie doesn't get the automatic knowledge/concealment beating/extra damage versus Alicia? Or both?