News:

Game for the gaming god; co-op for the entertainment couch!

Main Menu

DM Nagging: It's pretty much my job

Started by Anastasia, April 12, 2018, 12:35:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anastasia

Quote from: Nephrite on January 02, 2020, 11:48:43 AM
Please adjudicate.

HOPE IS THE ANSWER
Prerequisites: Hope Domain, Charisma 30

Moore's answer to the question of Creation is that of Hope. This is so true that being near him fills others with an unstoppable hopefulness. All creatures around Moore (but not Moore himself) he considers allies gain a +2 morale bonus to their ability scores within 100 feet plus 100 feet per divine rank. In addition, they are immune to any spell or effect that would inflict negative emotions, such as fear or the effects of symbol of hopelessness.

Offhand, it feels a little weak for a specific SDA, but I am a bad judge of these things.

I'd suggest shortening the name to something snappier. Hope is the answer feels a little too clunky for a name.

Stylistic commentary aside, it's meant to be a passive aura of +2 morale to ability scores?
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Nephrite

Quote from: Anastasia on January 02, 2020, 11:53:20 AM
Please adjudicate.

HOPE IS THE ANSWER

Moore's answer to the question of Creation is that of Hope. This is so true that being near him fills others with an unstoppable hopefulness. All creatures around Moore (but not Moore himself) he considers allies gain a +2 morale bonus to their ability scores within 100 feet plus 100 feet per divine rank. In addition, they are immune to any spell or effect that would inflict negative emotions, such as fear or the effects of symbol of hopelessness.

Offhand, it feels a little weak for a specific SDA, but I am a bad judge of these things.

I'd suggest shortening the name to something snappier. Hope is the answer feels a little too clunky for a name.

Stylistic commentary aside, it's meant to be a passive aura of +2 morale to ability scores?

Effectively, yes. My thought was that over time (i.e. divine strata) it would grow in power, but that's a long ways off.

Nephrite

Quote from: Anastasia on January 02, 2020, 11:51:13 AM
Quote from: Nephrite on January 02, 2020, 11:47:43 AM
That was kind of my thought too. Giving it +2 (so a total of +3 levels) feels like too much, unless you also made the pre-reqs a lot higher, which I could see.

Yeah. Raw +1 doesn't feel like it quite passes the smell test, since other epic bard feats are really good. At the same time...meh.

It's just a tough spot to be sure. Maybe it unlocks access to a followup feat that does something nice as well, I don't know.

How about this?

Epic Inspire Spellpower
Prerequisites: Inspire Spellpower, five bardic musics known

Benefit:

When you use Inspire Spellpower, the effected allies' caster level increases by 2 instead of 1, and the DC for those allies' spells rise by 1.

So you basically get +3 to the DC of spells, but only +2 to the spell level for the purposes of damage. Is that too confusing?

Anastasia

Quote from: Nephrite on January 02, 2020, 11:56:18 AM
Quote from: Anastasia on January 02, 2020, 11:53:20 AM
Please adjudicate.

HOPE IS THE ANSWER

Effectively, yes. My thought was that over time (i.e. divine strata) it would grow in power, but that's a long ways off.

I don't really have any mechanical objection to it per se - it's in your wheelhouse and +2 isn't broken or anything - but the bookkeeping on it will be a thing.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Nephrite on January 02, 2020, 11:58:35 AM
Quote from: Anastasia on January 02, 2020, 11:51:13 AM
Quote from: Nephrite on January 02, 2020, 11:47:43 AM
That was kind of my thought too. Giving it +2 (so a total of +3 levels) feels like too much, unless you also made the pre-reqs a lot higher, which I could see.

Yeah. Raw +1 doesn't feel like it quite passes the smell test, since other epic bard feats are really good. At the same time...meh.

It's just a tough spot to be sure. Maybe it unlocks access to a followup feat that does something nice as well, I don't know.

How about this?

Epic Inspire Spellpower

Benefit:

When you use Inspire Spellpower, the effected allies' caster level increases by 2 instead of 1, and the DC for those allies' spells rise by 1.

So you basically get +3 to the DC of spells, but only +2 to the spell level for the purposes of damage. Is that too confusing?

I'd just have the bonus also apply to DCs, honestly. Simpler that way.
<Afina> Forever.

Nephrite

So like this?

Epic Inspire Spellpower

Benefit:

When you use Inspire Spellpower, the effected allies' caster level increases by 2 and the DCs of their spells also rise by 2.

Nephrite

Also I revised this, since I wasn't happy with the aura part of it, and working it into songs and music makes more thematic sense.

SONGS OF HOPE

Moore's answer to the question of Creation is that of Hope. His songs and music are likewise infused with this hopefulness. All creatures affected by Moore's bardic music gain the following benefits: They are immune to any spell or effect that would inflict negative emotions, such as fear or the effects of symbol of hopelessness, they gain fast healing 10, and gain DR/10. These effects last for as long as the creatures are affected by Moore's bardic music.

Anastasia

Quote from: Nephrite on January 02, 2020, 12:36:56 PM
So like this?

Epic Inspire Spellpower

Benefit:

When you use Inspire Spellpower, the effected allies' caster level increases by 2 and the DCs of their spells also rise by 2.

I'd change the phrasing but it's about right.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Nephrite on January 02, 2020, 12:57:25 PM
Also I revised this, since I wasn't happy with the aura part of it, and working it into songs and music makes more thematic sense.

SONGS OF HOPE

Moore's answer to the question of Creation is that of Hope. His songs and music are likewise infused with this hopefulness. All creatures affected by Moore's bardic music gain the following benefits: They are immune to any spell or effect that would inflict negative emotions, such as fear or the effects of symbol of hopelessness, they gain fast healing 10, and gain DR/10. These effects last for as long as the creatures are affected by Moore's bardic music.

What's the damage reduction overcome by, if anything?
<Afina> Forever.

Nephrite

Quote from: Anastasia on January 02, 2020, 01:10:43 PM
Quote from: Nephrite on January 02, 2020, 12:57:25 PM

SONGS OF HOPE

What's the damage reduction overcome by, if anything?

It was intended to be unable to be overcome. I could lower it, if you think that'd be more appropriate in that case.

Anastasia

Funny D&D note, almost all ability score prerequisites are an odd number.

SONGS OF HOPE
Prerequisites: Hope Domain, cha 31
Benefit: Moore's answer to the question of Creation is that of Hope. His songs and music are likewise infused with this hopefulness. All creatures affected by Moore's bardic music gain the following benefits: They are immune to any spell or effect that would inflict negative emotions, such as fear or the effects of symbol of hopelessness. they gain fast healing 10, and gain damage reduction 10/-. These effects last for as long as the creatures are affected by Moore's bardic music.

That looks about right. Maybe 11 for the healing and damage reduction, with the unstated but understood math that's it meant to be 10 + DvR. It's one of the cases where allowing it to scale with that may make sense, as both of those numbers have a lot of room to grow.
<Afina> Forever.

Nephrite

Quote from: Anastasia on January 02, 2020, 01:38:25 PM
Funny D&D note, almost all ability score prerequisites are an odd number.

SONGS OF HOPE
Benefit: Moore's answer to the question of Creation is that of Hope. His songs and music are likewise infused with this hopefulness. All creatures affected by Moore's bardic music gain the following benefits: They are immune to any spell or effect that would inflict negative emotions, such as fear or the effects of symbol of hopelessness. they gain fast healing 10, and gain damage reduction 10/-. These effects last for as long as the creatures are affected by Moore's bardic music.

That looks about right. Maybe 11 for the healing and damage reduction, with the unstated but understood math that's it meant to be 10 + DvR. It's one of the cases where allowing it to scale with that may make sense, as both of those numbers have a lot of room to grow.

I am fine with that. I suppose change the title to "Song of Hope," if you would, since I feel it has better pzazz.

Nephrite

If anyone's looking for good colors for divine text, here you go: https://absitomen.com/index.php?topic=331.0

Anastasia

<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Okay then.

SONG OF HOPE
Benefit: Moore's answer to the question of Creation is that of Hope. His songs and music are likewise infused with this hopefulness. All creatures affected by Moore's bardic music gain the following benefits: They are immune to any spell or effect that would inflict negative emotions, such as fear or the effects of symbol of hopelessness. they gain fast healing 11, and gain damage reduction 11/-. These effects last for as long as the creatures are affected by Moore's bardic music.

Go ahead and add this to your sheet.
<Afina> Forever.