News:

You have made a powerful enemy today, stop sign.

Main Menu

DM Nagging: It's pretty much my job

Started by Anastasia, April 12, 2018, 12:35:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anastasia

Bastian now has DvR0. Pretty straightforward with him.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on March 13, 2020, 07:42:13 AM
Yeah, read it. Even took the time to uplift my own writeup to be current. Amusingly, The Future was always part of Seira's portfolio.

Toss a copy of the new version in here? I'm curious to read it.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on March 13, 2020, 04:06:55 AM
Quote from: Anastasia on March 12, 2020, 08:53:13 PM
Quote from: Corwin on March 12, 2020, 03:22:04 PM
Quote from: Anastasia on February 12, 2020, 10:03:50 AM
Yeah, sure, with the proviso to post it here first so I can make sure there isn't something hilariously broken about it? I don't think there is, but just in case I'm forgetting something.

Right, so let's do that, first thing.

Related, I've asked before about using Node points to upgrade the Aegis's 50% miss chance to all attacks rather than lines, cones and rays. You didn't give a judgement or a cost, so I'd appreciate your thoughts there.

I can't lay hands on what I said about it, do you have it handy by any chance?

http://www.soulriders.net/forum/index.php/topic,104121.msg1164710.html#msg1164710

I'm going to say no for now for balance reasons. It's possible I'll come back to this one later, I'll note that in the thread for all of that.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on March 13, 2020, 09:39:12 AM
Divine item creation question.

From the SRD:
Magic supplies for items are always half of the base price in gp and 1/25 of the base price in XP. For many items, the market price equals the base price.

This is the basic 'crafting items costs you half the market price', and we houseruled the xp component to be further represented as gp in the market price.

From the Divine Rules:
QuoteCreate Items: A deity of rank 1 or higher can create magic items related to her portfolio without item creation feats or other prerequisites. The maximum item value a deity can create is a function of her divine rank (see the table below). If a deity has the item creation feat pertaining to the item she wishes to create, the cost (in gold) and creation times are halved. If she has the Craft Artifact salient divine ability, all item creation costs are halved.

Divine Rank   Maximum Market Price
1-5   4,500 gold
6-10   30,000 gold
11-15   200,000 gold (any non-epic item)
16-20   400,000 gold

This speaks of divine discounts. Half the cost if the deity has the relevant item creation feat, and half the cost if the deity has the Craft Artifact SDA.

How does it all combine? This is relevant because Elle and Latha exist!

They don't stack - instead, instead of just being on things they have the feat for, Craft Artifact makes it universal. Let me add a note to clarify that in the divine rules.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

Clarification questions for Permanent Emanation. I understand that it uses an emanation spell you can cast. What about an emanation spell you can cast adjusted with a metamagic feat you have that doesn't adjust it past your available spell level?

You can adjust a spell you cast and use a lower CL so long as that CL is sufficient to cast a spell of that level. Can you shuffle your CL like that every time you restart a permanent emanation spell?
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Anastasia

I'd rule it's just the spell, not a metamagiced version. It just seems a lot simpler and less prone to shenanigans that way, and I'd imagine metamagic use could open some up.

To the second, DM judgment call but I'd allow it as long as it's not abusive or getting up to things. If you have something in mind, lemme know so I can get an idea of where you're going with that.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

Not yet, no. Just trying to see what would work for me the best. What about stuff like Sudden Metamagic or the Automatic Metamagic SDA? Could they apply to a permanent emanation?

Corwin

Quote from: Anastasia on March 13, 2020, 02:11:35 PM
They don't stack - instead, instead of just being on things they have the feat for, Craft Artifact makes it universal. Let me add a note to clarify that in the divine rules.

So if I understand this right, Mortal Elle making a 2,000gp magical sword would pay 1,000gp and take up 2 days to create it. Deity Elle would pay 500gp and take up 1 day to create it, and Deity Elle with Craft Artifact would still make that sword for 500gp and take up 1 day, except she doesn't even need to have the Craft Magic Arms and Armor feat? I'm not sure what else making it universal would mean.

Naturally, she'd still need said feat to make a 500,000gp magical sword, as it's above the price range she can create as a deity. Is that correct?

Anastasia

Quote from: Nephrite on March 12, 2020, 11:15:38 PM
This is just a touchup to add music and reword the symbol since I wasn't as clear about it as I should've been originally.

Moore
Duke of Songs, Song of Hope
Demigod
Symbol: An open hand palm up, holding a shining ball of light
Home Plane: Hope's Landing
Alignment: Neutral Good
Portfolio: Hope, inspiration, friendship, bonds, music
Worshipers: Clerics, bards, entertainers, poets, factotums
Cleric Alignments: LG, NG, CG
Domains: Good, Inspiration, Hope
Favored Weapon: Refrain (Rapier)

Looks fine overall there.

QuoteMoore's one goal in Creation is to rid the world of hopelessness. The idea of not having the power, courage or wisdom to overcome something is anathema to him. His teachings provide comfort to those who need it and make every effort to empower those followers with the knowledge and ability to go into the world and do good there.

His followers know they can rely on him to support them in times of need, but also know that sometimes he may be silent if they need to find their own path to hope without him. He trusts every one of them to be able to not lose themselves in their own struggles.

To that end, Moore encourages those of his faith to go out into the world and find people to help. For those who may not feel they can do much in the world, or who have more of an entreprenurial spirit than one of adventure, he encourages them to bring hope to a community through support, with things like jobs or even donations to local charities.

There's no requirement of taking vows of poverty, people are free to choose their own ways of life, as long as their actions bring hope to others. While he would prefer people follow the law in their actions, he understands that sometimes people must take a difference stance. As long as their path is one that is not evil, he will generally approve of their lifestyle.

Spelling nitpick since my autochecker catches it: It's not 'entreprenurial', it's 'entrepreneurial'. I'd suggest thickening it just a little more - maybe a bit of lore mixed it, or a few more comments that help direct things. But it's a good first draft there.

QuoteHistory/Relationships

Not much is known about Moore prior to his ascension. Some say that those who know the truth simply say they see a "sea of light" and nothing else. Regardless, on the scale of Creation, Moore is a young deity who has quickly become the friend and enemy of many.

History first records his name as part of Aurora, a group of planar warriors that fight evil. He had a hand in the liberation of Lifasa and is heralded as one of its saviors.

I'd suggest spending a few more sentences filling in his time in Aurora. Nothing too super detailed, but some meat to that feels better than two sentences. Probably touch on what he did on a surface level and how it helped make him known?

QuoteThrough all of this, he established a small location in Lunia known as Hope's Landing. It has grown a great deal from the time it was first noticed by a passing traveler, boasting a rather booming trade and annex for those passing by.

Same with this one, should probably tie in a bit about when he ascended and how that changed (or will considering the current timeframe we're in) things.

QuoteWhile he is extremely friendly to the powers of Celestia, he's also made several diplomatic efforts with the likes of Brightwater's powers and seems to have a good rapport with Crystalle of Mineral. He stands firmly against the machinations of Hell, as well as those of Shar - as all with any sense about them should.

I'll admit, I like the bit of editorializing here about Shar, but it feels a little off tone. Maybe frame it as something he's said rather than asserted in the text like that.

QuoteWhile he is strongly tied to Celestia, he does not require that anyone follow the Holy Mountain's path, believing that those who pursue a path of hope and inspiration in others are already fulfilling the greatest virtues of Chronias.

That one probably stands fine as it is, though some discussion of the theological ramifications of it would be nice. More honestly though that's likely to come up in game in due time as everyone gets a grasp of Moore and how he rolls.

QuoteDogma: Moore believes in hope above all else. To offer others around you hope, inspiration and help when they need it; especially when they don't know they need it. Hope for a better tomorrow, hope to continue on even in the face of hopelessness, to shine boldly so that others may find you when the night falls.

Okay, this is a formatting nitpick, but it should be formatted like this:

QuoteDogma

Moore believes...

That aside, a bit more meat and it's fine. The core of it feels right.

QuoteClergy and Temples: Moore believes that anyone has the ability to inspire hope in others and does not discriminate when there is interest in his faith. He believes that a single act of bringing hope and inspriation to another can have a cascading effect, and encourages his followers to always be on the lookout for those in need.

His places of worship tend to be initially placed in places that need them the most, though over time as hope spreads to those nearby, they are able to be beacons to those farther and farther away. Their doors are always open, time does not discriminate when it comes to those in need.

Inspiration is misspelled says my spellchecker, and who am I to question it?

I do think this last part misses the point a little bit. What are his clergy and temples like? Do they have any holidays, do they dress in a particularly way, do they have any interesting and distinctive features?

That being said this is a solid first draft. You're definitely going in the right direction.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on March 13, 2020, 06:45:55 PM
Not yet, no. Just trying to see what would work for me the best. What about stuff like Sudden Metamagic or the Automatic Metamagic SDA? Could they apply to a permanent emanation?

No, no metamagic.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on March 13, 2020, 06:51:56 PM
Quote from: Anastasia on March 13, 2020, 02:11:35 PM

So if I understand this right, Mortal Elle making a 2,000gp magical sword would pay 1,000gp and take up 2 days to create it. Deity Elle would pay 500gp and take up 1 day to create it, and Deity Elle with Craft Artifact would still make that sword for 500gp and take up 1 day, except she doesn't even need to have the Craft Magic Arms and Armor feat? I'm not sure what else making it universal would mean.

Naturally, she'd still need said feat to make a 500,000gp magical sword, as it's above the price range she can create as a deity. Is that correct?

It would mean she could make something that's covered by the deific create items ability and have it discounted, in spite of not having the feat to even make them in the first place. So not only can she make something she can't normally as long as it falls under the price limit and the requirement to be tied to her portfolio, but she makes it cheaper and faster. It's a little extra benefit for Craft Artifact, since almost anyone who takes it is invested in item creation.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

I always assumed the Create Items ability means you could create items under the stated cap. So for a dvr1 deity, you could make a +1 sword out of nothing and give it to some dude, and the price (and reductions to price) are used when the deity wants to make an item past the stated cap.

If that's incorrect, and in fact the deity pays for everything, does it mean a deity with the relevant crafting feat will pay 25% of market price so long as an item is under cap, and 50% of market price if an item is over cap?

Iron Dragoon

Okay, looking for some advice. DvR 1 opened up a bunch of stuff for me and I'm not sure what would be the best route. Alyssa's doing a lot better combat-wise, so unless there's some really solid stuff for Monk or other unarmed routes, this is what I'm juggling:

I took SDA Automatic Metamagic (Quicken Spell). This opened up a number of feats for me by getting rid of Easy Metamagic: Quicken Spell (Non-epic slot), and Specialized Metamagic: Quicken Spell (Epic slot). I also took Divine Factotum which gives me Improved Cunning Insight, which also opened up the Epic Feat slot that was using. So I have 1 non-epic slot and 2 epic slots open.

Now, one idea is to take Maximize Spell in the non-epic slot and SDA Automatic Metamagic (Maximize Spell), and then use the two epic slots for Great Ability: Dex and Int. This would bump my Dex up to 29, which opens up the higher Dex SDAs like Divine Celerity.

Another is to take Chain Spell in the non-epic feat and SDA Automatic Metamagic (Chain Spell), and the Dex/Int.

OR... I can use the non-epic feat for something else, take Great Dex/Int, and take Divine Celerity in place of a second Automatic Metamagic.

Or other suggestions?
This is not the greatest post in the world, no... this is just a tribute.

Iron Dragoon

Also, a reminder for me: HONEYDIP.
This is not the greatest post in the world, no... this is just a tribute.

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on March 13, 2020, 07:23:54 PM
I always assumed the Create Items ability means you could create items under the stated cap. So for a dvr1 deity, you could make a +1 sword out of nothing and give it to some dude, and the price (and reductions to price) are used when the deity wants to make an item past the stated cap.

Like it means you can double the range of what you can make pricewise, since it's half price? Just to be clear on where you're coming from.
<Afina> Forever.