DM Nagging: It's pretty much my job

Started by Anastasia, April 12, 2018, 12:35:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anastasia

Sulia hits level 35. Quick version since NPC notekeeping here.

- Noble 35 and Favored Soul 35.
- Maximum hit points per hit die, for a total of 22 hit points and a grand total of 770 hit points.
- BAB rises to 26.
- Inspire greatness how affects up to 9 allies.
- Gains level 35 favored soul spellcasting. Grabbed a bunch of 14th level spells to get that part of her spell debt settled.
- +1 all saves.
- Skills go up normally.
- Sacred Spell(Holy Word) as her FS35 feat.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Anastasia

Hi, just a friendly DM reminder.

Level 36 IS NOT a level for epic save bonus to progress. (29, 32, 35, 38, 41)
Level 36 IS a level for a feat. (30, 33, 36, 39, 42)
Level 36 IS a level for a stat point. (28, 32, 36, 40, 44)
<Afina> Forever.

Nephrite

Rather unsurprisingly, there aren't a lot of Bard 11 spells, or 12, or 13, for that matter... so I have some work cut out for me in the next few weeks and months.

anyway, here's a spell.

Celestia's Inspiration
Enchantment/Transmutation (Compulsion) [Good, Mind-Affecting, Sonic]
Brd 11
Components: V
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: 200 ft
Targets: All allies within 200ft
Duration: 1 round/level
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

When you cast this spell, you channel the barest fragment of the inspiration one can find within Mount Celestia into yourself and your allies. Anyone affected by this spell is treated as being affected by Haste and Freedom of Movement, has fast healing 7, and they also gain a +7 bonus to attack and weapon damage rolls. Their weapons also count as Good for the purposes of overcoming Damage Reduction.

For whatever it's worth, I could also see this as a sanctified spell but would probably need to be changed a little. I also may have overshot it.

Anastasia

Okay, so once we finish Seira's scene and Alicia's we're in level up time.

I'm going to take at least a week off. There's a ton of DM work that needs to get done and a week is a highly optimistic timetable. Two weeks is a lot more realistic but I'd prefer not to spend two weeks off if I can help it, so I'm going to try and make good progress.

To help facilitate this, once I do pause us and enter downtime, I have the following requests.

1. Do not PM me on IRC about Balmuria stuff. That's what we have nagging and related topics for. This tends to tank my productivity via distractions. Likewise, if I don't respond to non Balmuria IRC PMs, it's not that I'm ignoring you. Well, I am, but it's for a good cause since I want to get a ton of DM work done.
2. If you need DM work done, post about it in nagging as soon as you're aware of it.
3. Make sure to post level up summaries.
4. If you see some spot of DM work that you can do yourself - most likely spell creation - and you want to do it yourself, by all means. I wouldn't mind seeing new spells since that's one less thing I have to create. Just try and not to overshoot the power level on them.
5. By far the biggest timesink will be deific writeups. I'm going to try and finish Seira's node first, then do any outstanding ones. When I post on these, comment even if it's just a throwaway comment that it looks fine. It lets me know I can move on in the process.

Additionally, as I do level ups, I'm also going to do divine tabs as needed. Expect each level up to take longer on account of this. I'll be doing those in order probably, moreso since Alicia's node needs the least divine tabs so getting those done first makes sense, so bear with me as I go through those.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Anastasia

These. It's mostly filling in variables so it's not the end of the world, but it requires some time and effort to get right. Antenora's as an example, since she beat the herd to get DvR and I did it back then.

Divine powers:
Spoiler: ShowHide

Spell-Like Abilities

At will-aid, atonement, augury, blade barrier, bless weapon, bolt of glory, castigate, clairaudience/clairvoyance, crown of glory, dance of the unicorn, deathwatch, deific vengeance, detect scrying, dispel evil, disrupt undead, fires of purity, gate, greater scrying, greater visage of the deity, heart's ease, heroes' feast, holy aura, holy smite, holy sword, holy word, magic circle against evil, miracle, nimbus of light, protection from evil, recitation, righteous wrath of the faithful, searing light, status, summon monster 9 (lawful good only), sunbeam, sunburst, sword of conscience, time stop, vision, vision of heaven, wages of sin, yoke of mercy. Caster level 33rd. The save DCs are 35 + spell level.

Alter Reality (Su)

Antenora exerts a considerable measure of control over reality itself, and her presence can command the very essence of the world around her. This warping of reality manifests in a number of ways. Antenora can use limited wish when doing so can help her promote the redemption, purification and righteousness. Note that in the situation where Antenora and another deity both try to Alter Reality in opposition to each other, an opposed rank check may be necessary to determine how reality is actually altered.

Domain Powers

Glory: +2 to the DC of channel energy and +1d6 to the energy channeled.
Good: +1 caster level for good spells.
Law: +1 caster level for lawful spells.
Planning: Extend Spell as a bonus feat.
Purification: +1 caster level for abjurations.
Redemption: Immunity to forced alignment changes.

Divine Aura (Ex)

The save DC against Antenora's divine aura is 24 and the radius is 10ft.

Immunities (Ex)

Antenora is immune to polymorphing, petrification, or any other attack that alters her form. Any shape-altering powers she might have function normally on herself. She is not subject to energy drain, ability drain, or ability damage, and is immune to mind-affecting effects (charms, compulsions, phantasms, patterns, and morale effects). She are also immune to disease, poison, stunning, sleep, paralysis, death effects, and disintegration. An opposed rank check may bypass any of these immunities; each attempt to do so requires a separate check.

Checks: Antenora gains a divine bonus equal to her divine rank on all skill checks, ability checks and caster level checks.

Antenora does not automatically fail on a natural attack roll or saving throw roll of 1.

Communication: Antenora can understand, speak, and read any language, including nonverbal languages. She can speak directly to any beings within one mile.

Remote Communication: As a standard action, Antenora can speak to any of her own worshipers, and to anyone within one mile from a site dedicated to her, or within one mile from a statue or other likeness of her. The creature being contacted can receive a telepathic message that only it can hear. Alternately, her voice can be heard as a strong, clear declaration. In this case, anyone within earshot of the sound can hear it.

Create Items: Antenora can create any wondrous item with power related to good, purification or redemption; the maximum is 4,500 gold.

Portfolio Sense: Amaryl is aware of any act of good, redemption or planning that involves 1,000 or more people.

<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Okay, this is how I'm going to handle the work flow for the coming downtime. These are all from my todo topic.

1. A post about divine advancement rates in the upcoming arc and a refresher of how I plan to handle this, since the next arc is going to focus on that.
2. Level ups.
A. The actual level up. This includes any spell topic updates as well as any custom spells needed.
B. Spoiler block update after.
C. Divine block, if needed.
3. Deific writeups, both the basic stat block and the longer writeup of the faith. This is the most time and effort intensive part by a lot, so expect the basic stat blocks first, probably soon, and then the full on writeups as I get them done. Seira's have priority here since I said I'd do Seira's first.
4. Alyssa prestige class. Came up in discussions, will probably morph into an outright PrC. I'll do this one whenever inspiration hits, or last if it doesn't.
5. Routine nagging and loot replies as required. These will be sprinkled in as I work.

Note that I may end up putting out unrelated content. Sometimes inspiration rebels by inspiring me to do something completely different than what I should be doing.

I'm hoping for only a week of downtime. Two weeks is more realistic but we'll see.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

I'm going to segment this into multiple posts since this post is getting big.

For the new realms, I think a full realm writeup could be a good exercise. This is how Alicia and Seira did it in B1 and it ended up being a wonderful resource and way to develop things. It lets you directly set things up and smooth over the transition lightly, as well as give both yourself and the DM a lot of material to work with. Examples are as follows, though they may be a bit out of date compared to current game events.

http://www.soulriders.net/forum/index.php/topic,104124.msg1109329.html#msg1109329
http://www.soulriders.net/forum/index.php/topic,104118.msg1109277.html#msg1109277

The trait section I'll need to talk both of you through, but most of this is straightforward enough. It's a direct way to shape your realms, so read those and let me know what questions y'all have.

I do understand this is a fair shot of work to do. I think the effort is well rewarded, as these writeups have been invaluable for me over the years.
<Afina> Forever.

Iron Dragoon

Quote from: Anastasia on April 19, 2020, 02:50:54 PM
I'm going to segment this into multiple posts since this post is getting big.

For the new realms, I think a full realm writeup could be a good exercise. This is how Alicia and Seira did it in B1 and it ended up being a wonderful resource and way to develop things. It lets you directly set things up and smooth over the transition lightly, as well as give both yourself and the DM a lot of material to work with. Examples are as follows, though they may be a bit out of date compared to current game events.

http://www.soulriders.net/forum/index.php/topic,104124.msg1109329.html#msg1109329
http://www.soulriders.net/forum/index.php/topic,104118.msg1109277.html#msg1109277

The trait section I'll need to talk both of you through, but most of this is straightforward enough. It's a direct way to shape your realms, so read those and let me know what questions y'all have.

I do understand this is a fair shot of work to do. I think the effort is well rewarded, as these writeups have been invaluable for me over the years.

Did this for a quick template thingy:

New Demiplane: <<Name>>

<<Description of plane. Feel/atmosphere.>>

<<Plane>> Traits

- <<Gravity level>>

- <<Time flow>>

- <<Size and description of borders>>

- <<Divinely morphic description>>

- <<Elemental traits>>

- <<Planar trait>>

- <<Planar trait>>

- <<Planar trait>>

- <<Planar trait>>

<<Plane>> Links

<<Descirption of what other planes it links to>>

<<Plane>> Inhabitants

<<Description of inhabitents, flora, and fauna>>

Movement and Combat

<<Movement/combat modifiers>>

Features of <<Plane>>

<<Desciription of notable places/features. Can be cities, towns, special venues, special terrain features, ect.>>

Notable People of <<Plane>>

<<Notable people: PCs, NPCs, Leaders, legendary crafters, ect.>>

<<Plane>> Encounters

Use this tables to determine random encounters within <<Plane>>.

<<Poduce encounter table. D100% table>>

<<Encounter notes>>
This is not the greatest post in the world, no... this is just a tribute.

Anastasia

<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Okay, so when we resume the next arc is aimed to be focused on divine growth and the Competition. This is something I've touched on regularly without going into depth about it, set examples and shown it without getting into the nuts and bolts. This arc will be going into that, as the aim of it is to set all of you up into it and get directly, hands on into it. The aim is going to be spending time here, showing divine growth and ideally, seeing the parties prosper in the Competition and advance in divine rank.

First and foremost, I'd to see the following from each of you: 3 or more divine goals to accomplish as well as 3 or more notable, non epic worshipers who serve your will on the Prime. I don't need a lot, just a 1-2 sentences to set them up. This is meant to give me material to work, as well as a chance for you define your goals and what your worshipers are like.

Here's an example of what Antenora's may look like. These aren't final, they're just examples and her actual work here may vary.

Goals

1. I'm going to focus on Balmuria. I'm known there and I can establish a base of faithful there, ones who can spread far and wide. Every faith needs support and this will be my support.
2. I'd like to make some inroads in Lifasa. I'm known there from my aid with Aurora and there's sure to be some penitents there who would welcome a patron.
3. I want to save souls from Baator, and right now my faithful are going to focus on that.

In general, aim for developmental goals like this. Don't aim for things like, "I'm going to kill X rival deity" or other events of a plane shaking scale for this.

Worshipers

1. Danoth, a half elf paladin 4//rogue 4. He was raised in a Bane worshiping family and escaped, and now seeks to save others from evil. He hails from the Prime Material of Arythma.
2. Meridian, a tiefling from dwarven heritage knight 8//cleric 5/knight of sylica 3. A former executioner of Cyric, he turned to Sylica and then me when he realized her life was a dead end. He hails from the Prime Material of Massas.
3. Val, a dragontouched arctic elf cleric 3//noble 3. A sadist and potential Aurilite badly shaken by a vision of heaven spell. I'm answering her prayers and helping her overcome her darkness. She hails from the Prime Material of Hamar.

A worshiper should have a name, their classes, a bit about them and why they're one of yours and a note of what Prime they're on. Feel free to make up names of new Primes for one if you want, this is just to give me a rack to hang my hat on. Likewise, don't be afraid to have them low level. You don't get any bonus points if they're all level 20 epic heroes, and I will scale them down if I feel they're overshot. This is about what they represent and offer for you to work with, not how big their numbers and reach are.

Feel free to be creative with what they are, as long as it's within reasonable bounds.

Expect things to move fairly briskly with little vignette adventures of your faithful as you watch and occasionally act, as well as offer guidance at key times. Often these will weave in with others that you know and may be a fine opportunity for politics and interactions.

----

As far as divine advancement goes, expect to see the newer faiths advance faster in divine rank than the established ones. The reasons for this are multifold. First of all, I've said before that each divine rank (seeds aside obviously) takes more effort to get than the last. Compared to DvR1 to 2 for Alicia and Seira or 0 to 1 for Amaryl, these 1 to 2s and other low gains will progress faster. There's story reasons why you're being pushed of course, but even beyond that a lot of that is chalked up to Alicia and Seira being NPCs at the time, as well as not having Zaphkiel personally offering advice. All of you are fortunate to be in a situation that is the essence of exceptional times and measures.

Additionally, as an out of character motivation, it would be nice to give everyone a chance to help even it up a bit. I knew going into this game there would come this point where the playing field has leveled some, so let's see how that works out.

---
One aspect of this will be about allies, bonds and other deific politics. This goes in the other direction, as enemies may well be made and rivalries began. You've seen some of this in the various nodes before now, so expect this to continue apace.

Generally, Zaphkiel's been very quiet this past arc. That's on purpose since you all had a purpose and needed time to grow as well as digest your task. He'sgoing to be more talkative now that you're all settling in, so expect that to come up as well. Some of this will be to set things up and other preparatory matters and others will be to move the plot along, as you might expect.

Each of you, who do you feel your divine allies are and why? Not necessarily ones you have compacts with to aid you, but in a more general sense. Who is close to you and willing to throw down for you if needs must?
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Antenora reaches level 36.

- Hellreaver 26 and Paladin 36.
- Maximum hit points per hit die, for a total of 25 hit points and a grand total of 900 hit points. Ominous.
- BAB goes up by 1 to 36.
- +1 spell resistance.
- Divine succor's healing rises by 10 to 110 total. Nice, she wants to constantly improve this aspect of her routine.
- Holy fury points rise by 1 to 41. Never hurts to have more endurance.
- Lay on hands rises to 540 hit points. Nice to have that big healing bomb.
- Channel energy's damage rises by 1d6 to 18d6.
- In completely irrelevant news, another weekly use of remove disease is here.
- CL of SLAs rises by 1.
- Gains 36th level paladin spellcasting. This is purely another 8th level spell, which goes into an opal protection since she's spontaneous. She could use a new custom spell, but it's hardly essential so she'll wait until I have the downtime to do it.
- No change to saves.
- +1 charisma. That puts her at 41, so this is building for the future.
- Skills go up as normal.
- Great Ability(Strength)(36) as her new feat.
- Spoiler block updated.

Solid level.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Latha reaches level 36.

- Astral Deva 36 and Angelic Champion 15.
- Maximum hit points per hit die, for a total of 22 hit points and a grand total of 800 hit points. Ribbit.
- BAB goes up by 1 to 36.
- DC of glorious stun rises by 1 to 48.
- +1 spell resistance.
- Regeneration rises by 1 to 15.
- Sense motive's bonus from the truth domain rises by to 18.
- CL of SLAs rises by 1.
- Gains 36th level cleric spellcasting. That's another 14th level spell per day and two 15th level spells per day, as well as a 15th level domain spell. For the 14th level spell she'll select another sunstorm. For the 15th level domain spell, she'll go with an empowered sunstorm for the moment. She'd like domain spells there, but that's a todo rather than immediate since she can fill that with a metmagiced sunstorm, which is something she wants to do anyway. The others are call primal elemental and solar pulse, both which offer her options and fit well. She's spontaneous so she can sub in as needed any which way. Others need custom spells, but I think Latha's okay for now.
- No change to saves.
- Latha's wisdom rises by 1 to 41. Yay.
- Skills go up as normal.
- Improved Metamagic(36) as her new feat.
- Spoiler block updated.

Spoiler block in the next post.
<Afina> Forever.

Nephrite

This is an extremely rough first draft for Hope's Landing. Once this is done, I'll start work on the other bits and pieces.

New Demiplane: Hope's Landing

It is a light in a sea of lights.

It is where any can find hope.

It is where those who are in need can find a way ahead.

Hope's Landing is a finite demiplane tucked against the first layer of Mount Celestia. It is approximately 50 miles from one end to another, though it continues to steadily grow to accomodate more inhabitants. As it is in Lunia, one can easily find it when they arrive in Celestia, as it is relatively close to the waters of the Silver Sea.

Hope's Landing Traits

- Normal gravity

- Normal time

- Finite size: Hope's Landing is currently rather small by demiplane standards. It borders the Silver Sea as well as has a path nearby for those wishing to explore the rest of Celestia, or to try and climb higher.

- Divinely Morphic: Certain powerful creatures (Moore, Sylvie, Cresiel, Xandra, Kaja, Jetina) can alter Hope's Landing with a thought. This also extends to the other deities of Mount Celestia. It is alterable in the normal manner for more ordinary creatures, though Moore will likely help them accomplish what they desire.

- No elemental or energy traits.

- Mildly good aligned: Evil creatures in Hope's Landing suffer a -2 penalty to all Charisma based checks.

- Normal Magic

Hope's Landing Links

Hope's Landing resides in Lunia, and as such can be accessed by any traveler coming and going through there. It can also be accessed via the Silver Sea.

Hope's Landing Inhabitants

Hope's Landing is primarily filled with those who have recently heard about it as a mercantile hub, where merchants are welcomed to sell their wares and better themselves while being exposed to the virtues of Mount Celestia.

Hope's Landing has more and more travelers and those that decide to settle there every day, which includes inhabitants from all across Creation, even including mortals.

As it is in Lunia, many of the grasses, trees and other wondrous things that can be found there exist inside of its walls as well.

Movement and Combat

The same as on the Prime Material.

Features of Hope's Landing

Currently, its biggest feature is 'Merchant's Walk,' a sprawling alley where all are welcomed to come and set up shop. The name of the game is to invest in yourself, which allows you invest in others, and spread hope and inspiration by doing so.

Slowly but surely, there are more and more people arriving every day, which necessitates new domiciles and additions, but those are added as easily as they are asked for.

Notable People of Hope's Landing

Moore: Leader

Moore is the leader of the pantheon of divinities that call Hope's Landing their home. He has an active role in everything to do with it and can be seen every day wandering the streets.

The Others When I have their cool demigod names

Hope's Landing Encounters

Unless otherwise stated, these encounters are with a singular entity, but more may be part of it at DM discretion.

[th]d%[/th]
   [th]Encounter[/th]
1-40Waukeenite Merchant
41-60Non-Waukeenite Merchant
61-70Mortal Pilgrim
71-76Passerby onto Celestia
77A Unique Celestian Encounter*
78-85Lantern Archons
86-93Sea Elves
94-99Hound Archons
100Unique Encounter**

*A Unique Celestian Encounter can be any being that calls Celestia home. It may also be the interdiction of the will of Mount Celestia itself.
**A Unique Encounter can be any named PC within Hope's Landing.

Iron Dragoon

Rough draft below. Still thinking on encounters.

New Divine Plane: Alyssum

Alyssum is a place of open fields and mountains. The fields are host to villages and farms, while the mountain ranges form a massive natural labyrinth, riddled with valleys and cave systems.

The largest city of the plane is built around the Alyssum Royal Academy.

Alyssum Traits

- Normal Gravity

- Normal time

- Finite size: 300,000 sq mi. Alyssum is bordered on all sides by mountains.

- Divinely Morphic: Certain powerful creatures (Alyssa and Dolmaya for now) can alter Alyssum with a thought. Normal creatures find Alyssum as easy to alter as the Prime Material Plane.

- No elemental traits.

- Normal magic

Alyssum Links

Alyssum links to the Gates of the Moon.

Alyssum Inhabitants

Alyssum is home to wanderers and settlers of all races, as long as they pursue knowledge in good faith (and not to hide or hoard it).

The fauna is of all types; Alyssum actively welcomes druids of all types, and with them come animals of all kinds.

The flora is similar; Alssyum supports the flora of all kinds.

Movement and Combat

Movement on Alyssum is the same as on the Prime Material Plane, as is combat.

Features of Alyssum

Alyssum Royal Academy

A sprawling campus, focused not only on magical learning, but education and trade skill of all types, centered around a massive library. The library is a massive spire, with the higher levels dedicated to the discovery of knowledge and revelation of secrets. Alyssa's personal quarters sit at the top the of the spire.

Labyrinth Mountains

The mountains are especially eye-catching as many of the ridges and spires are angled, or outright bent, to create a sort of natural canopy, making surveying from the air extremely difficult. Exploration of this labyrinth can only be done by foot in many places. Many of the hidden valleys are idyllic: wide and deep bowls, flowing rivers and natural springs, soil rich with nutrients, and oftentimes with large sections of evergreen trees. In an odd trait of the plane, once such a valley is found and settled, to include a school, the ridges and peaks that hid it from above are often found to bend away, opening them being seen and approached from the air.

Notable People of Alyssum

Alyssa Songsteel: Queen

Alyssa is the unopposed ruler of Alyssum. Her touch on the daily lives of those who call Alyssum home is light, as long none tread over her tenets. She favors a hands-off approach to ruling and imposes few laws or rules, but those that exist are iron-clad and enforced with her full might. She is new to divinity and her realm is likewise new. She encourages the exploration and settlement of it as a means to expand it.

Dolmaya Augurson

An immortal Empress in her own right, Dolmaya is the known Proxy of Alyssa. She often takes personal interest and control over the larger and more critical events of the plane. As Proxy, she holds full authority to settle any matter that might cross her path.

Delaize

Delaize is a mentor, friend, and adviser to Alyssa. He is often found overseeing the administrative side of Alyssum and is known to be wise and fair. And to have Alyssa's full backing, should any seek to subvert him.

Walt Songsteel

Father of Alyssa Songsteel and master blacksmith. He runs a smithy in Alyssum. While he has no official authority or placing in the administration of the plane, he is respected and Alyssa can often be found working in his forge alongside him on projects.

Alilynn Songsteel

Mother of Alyssa Songsteel and master seamstress. She runs her own tailoring shop in Alyssum. While she has no official authority or placing in the administration of the plane, she is respected and Alyssa can often be found taking tea with her. She makes the majority of Alyssa's formal wear, in an odd quirk, as Alyssa prefers to involve her in such events.

Alihana Songsteel

Sister of Alyssa Songsteel and student at the Royal Academy. Though not blessed with odd turns of fate that lead Alyssa to her current power, Alihana is now blossoming into what she should have been. While her current goals are still undecided, she is exploring her potential and talents. Though not having always seen eye to eye with Alyssa, she can often be found conspiring with her sister over things some might consider mundane. She is currently apprenticed to Dolmaya and being evaluated by her for potential.

Alyssum Encounters

Use this tables to determine random encounters within <<Plane>>.

<<Produce encounter table. D100% table>>

<<Encounter notes>>
This is not the greatest post in the world, no... this is just a tribute.