News:

"It occured to me while drunk, so it must have been genius."

Main Menu

DM Nagging: It's pretty much my job

Started by Anastasia, April 12, 2018, 12:35:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anastasia

Also let's get post 3000 in nagging.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Anastasia

<Afina> Forever.

Nephrite

Quote from: Anastasia on April 22, 2020, 10:11:49 AM
If nothing else, it being an untyped +7 bonus to attack is a thing. I'd imagine it would be morale or sacred considering the source of it.

Oh no, it's homework time! Gasp! Are there any other boosting bard spells of about 10th to 12th level that roughly compare to this?

Greater Snowsong, Brd 10, +8 morale to Charisma, attack rolls and +8 insight to AC

Song of the Sea, Brd 10, +6 insight bonus to attack, saving throws and AC, but only to aquatic or water subtypes

Glorious Rally, Brd 12, +6 morale bonus to attack, weapon damage, saving throws, AC, as well as 2x CL temporary HP

I did actually forget to give it a typed bonus, I'd actually almost say it makes sense to be insight, since that's sort of the point of the spell. The problem with the bard line of spells having morale bonuses is they don't play nice with, you know, what bards actually do when it comes to their songs.

Honestly, I don't  see any bard ever casting Glorious Rally. It's fine because other people can cast it that don't get morale bonuses, but that's entirely an aside.

Nephrite

Bonus, secondary nagging.

Epic Inspire Courage [Epic]
Prequisite: Inspire Courage +5
Benefit: The morale bonus provided by your Inspire Courage increases by 2. In addition, those that hear it are immune to charm and fear effects for the duration of the ability.

On the surface, this is... fine? I don't know. +2 to IC is good, and goes up to +4 with Words of Creation. It's balanced (in my opinion) since Epic Inspiration gives a bonus to all different songs, whereas this is just Courage. I feel like it's lacking some punch, though, and I don't want to just "make numbers bigger." Maybe give Inspire Courage a movement speed bonus too?

Small edit, I realized Inspire Courage +8 is actually way too high. +6 would be level 32, which is also fine I guess. YMMV if that matters.

Anastasia

Xandra reaches level 36.

- Trumpet Archon 36 and Mage of the Illuminated Temple 24.
- Maximum hit points per hit die, for a total of 20 hit points and a grand total of 720 hit points.
- +1 BAB for a total of 36.
- +1 spell resistance.
- Another glorious spell, which I'll resolve with her new spellcasting level.
- Smite evil (domain)'s damage rises by 1.
- The duration of mysticism's granted power rises by 1 round.
- Got Xandra's SLAs in order.
- +1 CL for SLAs.
- 34th level warmage casting. This gets her two more spells known, which are radiant storm and raging inferno. For the sake of stress testing it, I'll grab raging inferno as her new glorious spell. Moore, let me know if you have any changes you'd like here. You run her in battle a lot, so feel free to have a say.
- No change to saves.
- +1 Constitution for 35 total. Her HP need has fallen a bit, but I'll follow through with that just to help secure it for the future.
- Skills go up as normal.
- Going to audible for Toughness(36) as her new feat. Her hit point issues have been mostly put to bed, but this will ensure any further ones are easily treated.
- Spoiler block updated.

Whew.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Kaja reaches level 36.

- Fighter 36 and Dervish 26.
- Maximum hit points per hit die, for a total of 25 hit points and a grand total of 900 hit points. Oh no.
- +1 BAB for a total of 36 and DM nightmares.
- +1 spell resistance.
- +5ft fast movement speed increase. Note to self, fly speed looks 10ft too low because of Celerity's granted power, which is explicitly land movement speed.
- Kaja's SLAs added.
- No change to saves.
- +1 con for a total of 31.
- Epic Skill Focus(Perception)(36), Epic Dodge(D26) and Penetrate Damage Reduction(Silver)(F36) are his new feats.
- Spoiler block updated.

Pretty routine for Kaja, but his levels usually are.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Jetina reaches level 36.

- Pious Templar 26 and Healer 36.
- Maximum hit points per hit die for a total of 24 hit points and a grand total of 864 hit points.
- +1 BAB for a total of 36.
- +1 spell resistance.
- Another daily templar smite.
- SLAs added. Lots of mass healing. Mass heals for everyone!
- 26th level pious templar casting. She selects two star explosions from the sanctified spell list.
- 36th level healer casting. Not much to say since it's all automatic there. She needs a bunch of 14th and 15th level spells, but this isn't something I need to do this second as there's a few in the Spell Collection.
- No change to saves.
- +1 Wisdom for 39 total.
- Audible called to take Blinding Speed(36) as her feat. This is mostly because Cresiel took Epic Divine Shield and it looks very alluring for her. Being able to set that up without losing other actions is big for her, plus she qualifies for it now so she'll take the prereq.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Jetina's divine tab is up. Almost there.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Sylvie reaches level 36.

- Factotum 36 and Chameleon 26.
- Maximum hit points per hit die for a total of 22 hit points and a grand total of 798 hit points.
- +1 BAB for a total of 28.
- +1 spell resistance.
- +1 to CL of SLAs.
- Gains 26th level chameleon spellcasting. This is one more 10th level arcane and divine spell. She goes with Greater Cone of Cold and Energy Immunity.
- No change to saves.
- +1 intelligence.
- Feats are Master of Knowledge(36), Epic Font of Inspiration(F36) and Epic Master of Knowledge(C26).

Spoiler topic update and divine tab in the next post.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Sylvie's spoiler block is done, as is her divine tab.

Whew.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Nephrite on April 22, 2020, 02:35:07 PM
Quote from: Anastasia on April 22, 2020, 10:11:49 AM
If nothing else, it being an untyped +7 bonus to attack is a thing. I'd imagine it would be morale or sacred considering the source of it.

Oh no, it's homework time! Gasp! Are there any other boosting bard spells of about 10th to 12th level that roughly compare to this?

Greater Snowsong, Brd 10, +8 morale to Charisma, attack rolls and +8 insight to AC

Song of the Sea, Brd 10, +6 insight bonus to attack, saving throws and AC, but only to aquatic or water subtypes

Glorious Rally, Brd 12, +6 morale bonus to attack, weapon damage, saving throws, AC, as well as 2x CL temporary HP

I did actually forget to give it a typed bonus, I'd actually almost say it makes sense to be insight, since that's sort of the point of the spell. The problem with the bard line of spells having morale bonuses is they don't play nice with, you know, what bards actually do when it comes to their songs.

Honestly, I don't  see any bard ever casting Glorious Rally. It's fine because other people can cast it that don't get morale bonuses, but that's entirely an aside.

Okay, go ahead and tweak and then repost then and I'll take a gander.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Nephrite on April 22, 2020, 02:38:07 PM
Bonus, secondary nagging.

Epic Inspire Courage [Epic]
Prequisite: Inspire Courage +5
Benefit: The morale bonus provided by your Inspire Courage increases by 2. In addition, those that hear it are immune to charm and fear effects for the duration of the ability.

On the surface, this is... fine? I don't know. +2 to IC is good, and goes up to +4 with Words of Creation. It's balanced (in my opinion) since Epic Inspiration gives a bonus to all different songs, whereas this is just Courage. I feel like it's lacking some punch, though, and I don't want to just "make numbers bigger." Maybe give Inspire Courage a movement speed bonus too?

Small edit, I realized Inspire Courage +8 is actually way too high. +6 would be level 32, which is also fine I guess. YMMV if that matters.

I'd put it at +3 or +4, somewhere in the teens for levels. That said, I don't think it's in theory broken, but I think it's a bad idea based on facts on the ground. There's already a very good feat that improves bardic music already, but is slower and more general. With how between divine bard and WoC bardic music is expected to be very strong, I don't think a feat that's stronger and focused on the money ability of bard is a great idea for balance. The ability to peak IC even higher isn't desirable because epic bards are already extremely good at this.

I'm fine with how it adds to the ability of Inspire Courage by allowing immunity to charm and fear, that's fine and an angle worth exploration.
<Afina> Forever.

Nephrite

Celestia's Inspiration
Enchantment/Transmutation (Compulsion) [Good, Mind-Affecting, Sonic]
Brd 11
Components: V
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: 200 ft
Targets: All allies within 200ft
Duration: 1 round/level
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

When you cast this spell, you channel the barest fragment of the inspiration one can find within Mount Celestia into yourself and your allies. Anyone affected by this spell is treated as being affected by Haste and Freedom of Movement, and they also gain a +7 insight bonus to attack and weapon damage rolls. Their weapons also count as Good for the purposes of overcoming Damage Reduction.