News:

I have a dream that one day, men will be punched in the face not for the color of their skin, but for the awful content of their character.

Main Menu

DM Nagging: It's pretty much my job

Started by Anastasia, April 12, 2018, 12:35:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iron Dragoon

How does Arcane Strike interact with Aerial Assembly? Since AAA is supposed to benefit/copy abilities?
This is not the greatest post in the world, no... this is just a tribute.

Anastasia

I enjoy weekly feedback in B6. Unfortunately workload concerns means it usually doesn't happen. It's regrettable so let's do some feedback. I'll do this one at a time so expect multiple posts as I work. The order (diced out so it's random) is Alicia, Seira, Moore, Alyssa.

Alicia

I feel that the past arc was one of solidification and development. That's largely true of everyone in this race for the divine seeds, but Alicia did a strong job in her representation of Sylica's interests. This is meant to be inclusive of both the divine seeds as well as a handful of diplomatic moves. Alicia's established a strong relationship with Mystra, as well as strong bonds with both Empress Sulia and Queen. The last adventure was productive to strengthen those bonds, as the shared hunt for a seed helped firm up both friendships and alliances. After all, to invite them on a quest for something so precious is a favor that will not be easily forgotten.

The question of it it was worth two charges overall is a fair question. It certainly strengthened Sylica's position, but if the sacrifice will ultimately be worthwhile is a fair question to ask as well. It ties both Brightwater and the Queendom closer to Sylica, something that will surely bear further dividends in the future. Fortunately for PC initiative, Zaphkiel's attitude can largely be distilled down the establishment of a plan and allowances for the chosen heroes to change the non core parts of it. Only time will tell if this was a wise choice or not.

I think that the strongest message I can take away beyond that is that Sylica is a strong and vibrant realm. This is the strongest advantage you imported from B1, as you came with a well defined realm. Alicia, Syala, Marie, Antenora, Latha and Jessica all fulfill rolls there and there's a clear structure in place. With the seed hunt mostly wound down and the next arc focused on the Competition, I'd like to explore those aspects of Sylica as well. Further, comparisons between Brightwater and Sylica are evident and relevant, as both are exclusively female ruled realms. While the difference between male and female is somewhat less when all are superhuman reality warpers, there's still worthwhile spaces to explore there.

Mechanically, I feel that the realm's in a good place. Alicia's a beast like all of the PCs and covers any serious melee needs as well as magic. Marie's a more niche mage but provides an extra punch there, as well as some tricks with magic missile that aren't to be neglected. Antenora's a giant wrecking ball with plenty of healing to keep her and allies going, something that shines through whenever she's there and damage gets to her. She's competitive with Latha on it, who is both a healer and a sun magic monster. Syala's something of a generalist like Alicai, but also provides a druid twist. Finally, Jessica takes care of stealth and does it very well, as well as simple burst damage when she can sneak attack. I can't think of any serious weaknesses here.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Nephrite

Quote from: Anastasia on April 23, 2020, 10:41:13 AM
Quote from: Nephrite on April 22, 2020, 02:38:07 PM
Bonus, secondary nagging.

Epic Inspire Courage [Epic]
Prequisite: Inspire Courage +5
Benefit: The morale bonus provided by your Inspire Courage increases by 2. In addition, those that hear it are immune to charm and fear effects for the duration of the ability.

On the surface, this is... fine? I don't know. +2 to IC is good, and goes up to +4 with Words of Creation. It's balanced (in my opinion) since Epic Inspiration gives a bonus to all different songs, whereas this is just Courage. I feel like it's lacking some punch, though, and I don't want to just "make numbers bigger." Maybe give Inspire Courage a movement speed bonus too?

Small edit, I realized Inspire Courage +8 is actually way too high. +6 would be level 32, which is also fine I guess. YMMV if that matters.

I'd put it at +3 or +4, somewhere in the teens for levels. That said, I don't think it's in theory broken, but I think it's a bad idea based on facts on the ground. There's already a very good feat that improves bardic music already, but is slower and more general. With how between divine bard and WoC bardic music is expected to be very strong, I don't think a feat that's stronger and focused on the money ability of bard is a great idea for balance. The ability to peak IC even higher isn't desirable because epic bards are already extremely good at this.

I'm fine with how it adds to the ability of Inspire Courage by allowing immunity to charm and fear, that's fine and an angle worth exploration.

I don't necessarily disagree with your thoughts here, but if it doesn't increase the ability numerically, it should do something interesting... hm.

Prequisite: Inspire Courage +4
Benefit: Your inspire courage now causes those who are affected by it to be immune to charm and fear effects, as well as gives them a movement speed bonus of +40.

I'm not sold on a movement speed bonus, but I'm having trouble thinking of something else that fits "being courageous." I don't want to just say 'gives immunity to mind affecting' here, so any thoughts on something unique would be fine.

I think the issue, at least to me, is "just" giving immunity to charm and fear effects doesn't seem that great for an epic feat. I'll keep thinking about it.

Ebiris

It's not just a case of 'give friends seed so friends do good' but also it prevents jealousy and bad feelings that Shar or someone else could potentially exploit. I mean Sulia's a sweetheart but it was obvious she was feeling left out when the topic of seeds came up and even for a saintly person like her that splinter could work its way deeper and eventually cause us deeper problems later. Being too focused on our secret conspiracy to save the world that our natural allies feel excluded/offended and eventually cause us trouble is pretty much a classic literary trope so it just makes sense to head that off at the pass, that's why Alicia's been a bit more open about the seeds with Mystra as well, while still keeping quiet about her sources.

Plus Sulia was right there when we attacked Shar last time, she's clearly in the right place even if she's not part of the conspiracy.

As far as Sylica and the team, yeah we're doing good. About our only problem is probably skill checks. Alter reality can cover buffing for knowledge checks done at leisure but we're lacking a marshal or skill boosting items so our checks tend to be a lot lower than what Seira or Moore do. I'd kind of like to get some epic skill boosting items but it's awkward to manage since even if we should have functionally unlimited money it still feels wrong to buy items without a budget.

edit: I just did the math, if Alicia sat somewhere on Sylica creating a 200gp value ingot/gem every round with her Create Object SDA, she could make a million gp in 8 hours. So maybe I should just say fuckit and have Latha make me all the epic stuff I want.

Anastasia

Seira

Seira's last arc feels like one of general successes.  It's safe to say she accomplished her goals both with the divine seeds and for the Cauldron in particular. There's a lot to unpack there, though I feel her successes with the seeds stands on its own merits. What really grabs my attention is the Bytopia arc. While this arc began with Alicia's adventure there, the two nodes came together to address a mystery from back in B1 onward. The resolution of this was well reasoned, as Oberuth had the one thing in Creation that could make this right and lead to a good resolution.

This entire arc feels like it ended on triumph for Seira because of that. While there's a lot more to go here, without a doubt it was a good ending to one of the biggest questions and left over threads from B1. I think the possible returns on this are obvious and while I'll miss the Cauldron being in the Astral, this is too good an opportunity to pass up. Of course, the question is what do you do with it now that you have it?

While your realm is strong and defined, but the nature of current events it is also being expanded and redefined. I'm curious as to how that will work out, but early signs are good. If I'm going to be honest, all four of you have done good jobs with realm definition over this game and previous games. I'm not worried at all, merely curious as to how it will resolve in the future. This, your political situation and the gnomish situation is definitely something to explore in the next arc, and there should be ample opportunities to do so.

To touch on mechanics since I opened that door with Alicia's feedback? Seira covers a ton by herself and the entire node has arcane magic down. There's not really many gaps here, there's melee, there's archery, there's magic. Ranbar even covers epic level cleric stuff. The only real weak spot is a druid, but the Cauldron's never gone in that direction so I don't feel this is a huge loss.

Bonus content.

The one thought that dominates my mind is how much I enjoyed Sanzha's recent trip out. This just happened IC so this is naturally fresh in my mind, but it really was a lot of fun to explore her past and past relationships. Despite her vast age, this is something that only seldom happens and it felt long overdue. She does have strong feelings as you see, but she usually holds them well beneath the surface. What's the saying about still waters that run deep?
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quick question for Moore, just so I can price the spell properly: Do bards normally get haste and freedom of movement?
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Iron Dragoon on April 23, 2020, 11:17:16 AM
How does Arcane Strike interact with Aerial Assembly? Since AAA is supposed to benefit/copy abilities?

It would depend on how liberally I read the part of AAA that reads 'Additionally, the original weapon and all copies become animated as the Dancing Blade spell, with the additional ability to gain the benefits of feats and abilities the caster might have.' Have I ruled on this before, it feels like I did? If you check and I haven't I'll make a ruling, but I swear this came up.

Better yet, show me your damage output and benefit if it does apply to all. That'll be more productive so I can see how crazy it would be.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Nephrite on April 23, 2020, 11:23:53 AM
Quote from: Anastasia on April 23, 2020, 10:41:13 AM
Quote from: Nephrite on April 22, 2020, 02:38:07 PM
Bonus, secondary nagging.

Prequisite: Inspire Courage +5
Benefit: The morale bonus provided by your Inspire Courage increases by 2. In addition, those that hear it are immune to charm and fear effects for the duration of the ability.

On the surface, this is... fine? I don't know. +2 to IC is good, and goes up to +4 with Words of Creation. It's balanced (in my opinion) since Epic Inspiration gives a bonus to all different songs, whereas this is just Courage. I feel like it's lacking some punch, though, and I don't want to just "make numbers bigger." Maybe give Inspire Courage a movement speed bonus too?

Small edit, I realized Inspire Courage +8 is actually way too high. +6 would be level 32, which is also fine I guess. YMMV if that matters.

I'd put it at +3 or +4, somewhere in the teens for levels. That said, I don't think it's in theory broken, but I think it's a bad idea based on facts on the ground. There's already a very good feat that improves bardic music already, but is slower and more general. With how between divine bard and WoC bardic music is expected to be very strong, I don't think a feat that's stronger and focused on the money ability of bard is a great idea for balance. The ability to peak IC even higher isn't desirable because epic bards are already extremely good at this.

I'm fine with how it adds to the ability of Inspire Courage by allowing immunity to charm and fear, that's fine and an angle worth exploration.

I don't necessarily disagree with your thoughts here, but if it doesn't increase the ability numerically, it should do something interesting... hm.

Benefit: Your inspire courage now causes those who are affected by it to be immune to charm and fear effects, as well as gives them a movement speed bonus of +40.

I'm not sold on a movement speed bonus, but I'm having trouble thinking of something else that fits "being courageous." I don't want to just say 'gives immunity to mind affecting' here, so any thoughts on something unique would be fine.

I think the issue, at least to me, is "just" giving immunity to charm and fear effects doesn't seem that great for an epic feat. I'll keep thinking about it.

I feel like the speed bonus doesn't fit. It's just that yes, it's hard to pin something worthwhile down.

If you can come up with a good feat here I'll likely approve it, it's just going to be tough now that I think about it. Ideas welcome if you come up with one.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Ebiris on April 23, 2020, 11:31:18 AMIt's not just a case of 'give friends seed so friends do good' but also it prevents jealousy and bad feelings that Shar or someone else could potentially exploit. I mean Sulia's a sweetheart but it was obvious she was feeling left out when the topic of seeds came up and even for a saintly person like her that splinter could work its way deeper and eventually cause us deeper problems later.

This was on my list as a possibility later down the line, I eliminated it when you made this choice. Sulia's a wonderful person but she's not perfect, and even she has limitations.

Queen wasn't, but that's because she's so grateful to you that she'd do almost anything for you.

QuoteBeing too focused on our secret conspiracy to save the world that our natural allies feel excluded/offended and eventually cause us trouble is pretty much a classic literary trope so it just makes sense to head that off at the pass, that's why Alicia's been a bit more open about the seeds with Mystra as well, while still keeping quiet about her sources.

Fair enough.

QuoteAs far as Sylica and the team, yeah we're doing good. About our only problem is probably skill checks. Alter reality can cover buffing for knowledge checks done at leisure but we're lacking a marshal or skill boosting items so our checks tend to be a lot lower than what Seira or Moore do. I'd kind of like to get some epic skill boosting items but it's awkward to manage since even if we should have functionally unlimited money it still feels wrong to buy items without a budget.

edit: I just did the math, if Alicia sat somewhere on Sylica creating a 200gp value ingot/gem every round with her Create Object SDA, she could make a million gp in 8 hours. So maybe I should just say fuckit and have Latha make me all the epic stuff I want.

Within reason, yeah. I did extend that offer to you and Seira for a reason. If either of you ever really get into it, you can make enough money for almost any need and you have the in house epic crafting to do it. Do bear in mind that I will enforce caster level limits as needed, mostly to prevent shooting the moon. Right now only weapon/armor/shield limits are in the epic level topic, but I'll add those if needed or requested.

You all have literal afterlives producing resources for you, which if nothing else produces plenty. The reason I don't go into much beyond signature gear for the various deities I write up is that. if one actually tried, they can make a whole lot.

Besides, you're literally at the point where you can make portfolio relevant magical items through divine will.
<Afina> Forever.

Iron Dragoon

Quote from: Anastasia on April 23, 2020, 03:50:12 PM
Quote from: Iron Dragoon on April 23, 2020, 11:17:16 AM

It would depend on how liberally I read the part of AAA that reads 'Additionally, the original weapon and all copies become animated as the Dancing Blade spell, with the additional ability to gain the benefits of feats and abilities the caster might have.' Have I ruled on this before, it feels like I did? If you check and I haven't I'll make a ruling, but I swear this came up.

Better yet, show me your damage output and benefit if it does apply to all. That'll be more productive so I can see how crazy it would be.

It's come up before, but I don't recall you definitively deciding. You've been doing it case-by-case, I think. You've allowed it to copy spells I cast on my weapon before AAA was cast.

Here's a recent attack string:

Spoiler: ShowHide
ATK 1:
Rolled 2d12+57 : 3, 4 + 57, total 64

Rolled 1d8 : 2, total 2

ATK 2:
Rolled 2d12+57 : 4, 1 + 57, total 62

Rolled 1d8 : 1, total 1

ATK 3:
Rolled 2d12+57 : 6, 3 + 57, total 66

ATK 4:
Rolled 2d12+57 : 6, 9 + 57, total 72

ATK 5:
Rolled 2d12+57 : 11, 6 + 57, total 74

Rolled 1d8 : 4, total 4

ATK 6:
Rolled 2d12+57 : 5, 11 + 57, total 73

ATK 7:
Rolled 2d12+57 : 12, 1 + 57, total 70

This is not the greatest post in the world, no... this is just a tribute.

Nephrite

Quote from: Anastasia on April 23, 2020, 03:46:31 PM
Quick question for Moore, just so I can price the spell properly: Do bards normally get haste and freedom of movement?

Haste is Brd 3, Freedom of Movement is Brd 4.

Nephrite

I think just being basic may be the best idea. I looked over the Courage domain and none of that fits either.

Benefit: Your inspire courage can now be used as a swift action, and now causes those who are affected by it to be immune to charm and fear effects.

I'm still not 100% sold that this is "good enough" as an epic feat, but it feels like it's at least something to consider.

Anastasia

Moore

It has to be said that the start of this arc was a high point for Moore. He'd accomplished his game long goal and was in position to strengthen his node further. This has largely come through this arc - a possible delayed result in Elysium aside - and I feel he's done well for himself. A strong and now fully functional node is well worth praise and I'll discuss that more below. Besides that, this feels like the arc to where the beginning of something more was founded. In particular Hope's Landing has been established earlier and now has a chance to come into its own.

What strikes me as I type this as how it doesn't feel like something new, but only a continuation of what Moore's done for some time. So this can really been seen as the realization of the node's efforts thus far, which feels properly organic. How they'll all treat divinity is an open question and one that will be explored in the coming arc. Still, I feel like the biggest step has been taken and the rest should sort itself out in the days to come.

Beyond that, what comes to me is that the node has a certain resilience. Some of it's Jetina of course, since she provides the ability to recover from almost anything. More of it is attitude. Cresiel survived captivity by Lixer, Moore's survived a lot, Kaja survived a long recovery from injury and Sylvie's come back from something unthinkable. It feels like to me that the node's seen a lot and won't give up easily. Something about that translates to them directly, from Cresiel's relentless attitude to Sylvie's hard won fearlessness.

Mechanically speaking, it's Moore doing Moore things so everyone can excel. Kaja alone covers melee but Sylvie and Cresiel are both excellent there as well. Xandra covers offensive magic while Sylvie chips in, Jetina manages healing but most everyone can heal and finally Sylvie can do stealth if needed. Really, Moore makes everyone so much better at things that it blows certain people way over the top. Kaja's the most obvious offender here, but Sylvie gains a ton too. It's hard to do wrong in this node because of it, and that is by far Moore's greatest mechanical strength.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Alyssa

This arc was both more difficult and more rewarding for Alyssa than the others. To address the corpse in the room, Ianvasah's demise had a serious impact on the node. It's unfortunate that she perished in such a way, as it's safe to say that if Shar takes you that you probably aren't coming back short of divine rank. As such, this arc felt like an answer to that - an answer to step forward in spite of it and keep going. While it was rough, by the end of it Alyssa and friends had lived up to exactly that.

At the same time, the nature of this means a lot more will resolve next arc. None of your node members besides arguably Emily are the type to seek divinity of their own. The nature of this being a responsibility of need rather than a quest for power felt the most stark in your node. There were some private discussions you missed out on and opinions changed a few times as a result of it. Ultimately it came down to the fact that Jarem rather likes Creation being intact, Emily's not willing to abandon everyone she cares about and Bastian saw enough in Chronias, even blindfolded, to understand that this was necessary. It was Dolmaya who chose to step back and rather unexpectedly. For all her power she ultimately chose not to advance further in that way, that perhaps to stay as she was would be a service to herself and to her allies.

The next arc will go a long way to show if Dolmaya is right or wrong. For my money, I don't have a strong opinion here since it's an impossibly difficult task laid before the party. There will probably never be a harder quest in Creation assuming the heroes succeed and save Creation, save perhaps the formulation of an Answer. How each person reacts to it and chooses to cope in face of this impossible situation will vary, and perhaps Dolmaya simply got a bit chaotic and chose a different path altogether.

Mechanically, Dolmaya, Alyssa and Emily play the kill all the monsters with spells game. Beyond that Bastian and Jarem handle melee and almost everyone handles utility, so it's a fairly balanced node there. Most everyone's reasonably talented as it is, and frankly Emily and Dolmaya are both strong enough to carry if needs must. Alyssa's come to her own for numbers now as well, so we'll see how that stacks up in a few more levels.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

The epic level rules thread now has a noted CL cap for how high you can boost skill enhancement items, such as a cloak of elvenkind. This table is reprinted below for reference.

Caster LevelMaximum Competence Bonus
21-25+20
26-30+25
31-35+30
36-40+35
41-45+40

This pattern continues infinitely.

If you have an item that's too strong according to this, it's grandfathered in. Congratulations.
<Afina> Forever.