News:

"The truth is stranger than fiction, but not stranger than fanfiction."

Main Menu

DM Nagging: It's pretty much my job

Started by Anastasia, April 12, 2018, 12:35:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anastasia

I'll comment on this once I whop up my god blooded template or just houserule the existing one properly.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Anastasia

Godsblood

The blood of the divine has several uses, one of which includes ingestion by lesser creatures. This ingestion, when done with the consent and support of the deity that provides it, can empower a non divine creature. That's the main focus of this article, though I'll briefly touch on that and other uses of godsblood first.

First and foremost, godsblood is valuable as a material component to make the greatest arms, armors and magical equipment. In particular, items created with divine blood are often fated to become artifacts in the future, or are designed for a higher (or lower, as it may be) purpose. For example, divine blood was used in the creation of the Aegis(es) of the Tarrasque.

Secondly, godsblood can be used in all the ways normal blood can be. It makes a superb focus for scrying a deity for example, though it does nothing to mitigate the other difficulties or hazards of such a foolish act. While not every use will work as some many are foiled by various immunities deities enjoy, there are still entirely mortal ways to sue it to another's advantage.

Thirdly, godsblood is capable of being poisonous. The godsblood poison can be found in the link here. It is a powerful agent that can destroy a non divine creature's mind completely, by using what a deity is as a weapon. Non divine creatures are not equipped to cope with such things and the result is routinely catastrophic.

However, it is the fourth use we will discuss further: The use of godsblood to bestow blessings, including the god blooded creature template.

To begin, when any of these blessings are discussed, it involves a single droplet of divine blood. Only the most extraordinary of extraordinary creatures could withstand more than one droplet, and the benefits for more than one droplet not that much better than a single droplet. Generally speaking, a non divine creature can withstand one droplet, plus an additional droplet at 21 hit dice and every 20 hit dice thereafter.

The most well known and common ability of godsblood is the ability to grant a mortal creature maximum hit points per hit die. This is assumed to be a bonus of any ingestion of godsblood sufficient to provide benefit. The higher status and perfection of the divine revises the mortal body, which in turn perfects it in an echo of the divine it came from.

Another use is to bestow the god-blooded creature template. This template works as written, except that the divine endurance ability is replaced by maximum hit points her hit die. This removes the mechanism to expend the template's powers entirely.

Additionally, godsblood can be used to elevate a mortal creature to the outsider type, or another type suitable to the deity in question, such as dragon for a dragon deity. This may or may not come packaged with a deific gift as well.

However, for all the potential benefits of godsblood for mortal creatures, there are a few drawbacks.

The most obvious is that it marks the gifted creature as a champion of that deity, or at least someone the deity is willing to reward and watch over. While this may dissuade some threats, it opens up others who wish to strike against that deity or have more nefarious purposes yet. In some ways this is not wholly a drawback, but the risk attached via a powerful entity being interested in a creature's godsblood is not trivial.

More importantly, a creature may seek to extract the godsblood from a gifted creature for their own purposes. The viability and difficulties of such a task are discussed below. However, any serious attempt to extract godsblood is invariably fatal to the gifted creature regardless of success or failure.

Finally, a discussion of the risks of godsblood for the deity who gifts it appropriate. Fortunately, these risks are generally mild and precautions will largely mitigate them.

Unauthorized ingestion of godsblood is a rare problem, as it is a self correcting problem. Those who imbibe divine blood open themselves to the power and notice of that deity, with the blood as a powerful bridge between them. This provokes divine wrath on the foolish creature that did so. The results vary by deity but are routinely fatal to such a creature that dares. A deity is aware of who imbibed its blood and why, and can choose to act appropriately.

As mentioned before, it is possible to extract godsblood from a gods-blooded creature. However, after ingestion, the blood begins to integrate itself into the gifted creature. After approximately three days, it is highly difficult to successfully remove godsblood due to this integration. As such, most deities keep watch on a creature so gifted for at least three days after they bestow this template. In any case, attempts to steal this godsblood are epic rituals and magic, and even a perfectly performed one has a considerable failure rate.

Finally, while less dangerous and damaging than the loss of a proxy, successfully stolen godsblood can be used against the deity. For other gods, the primary use is actually for scrying, which is far less foolish for them than mortal creatures. However, it can be used in other ways against a deity, which vary considerably.

<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Jayne's posted (and that took up this evening session, just FYI). There's a few oddities on her sheet, she's a decided exception to the rule sort of situation here.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Notes

- I took a week off from the various worshiper interludes and interrupts. This was mostly to conserve energy as while I feels better to DM, RLwise my energy level still isn't great. I plan to phase those back in over the next week in some capacity, pending how I feel.

- Should my energy levels improve, I'd really like to get back into design work. I do this for enjoyment but I simply haven't had the energy for extra design work the past several months. I'll start small and see how that goes. In light of that, anything y'all would like to see statted out that wouldn't be an undue spoiler? I'm open to suggestions.

- I owe both Moore and Alicia a spell, something I intend to do on Monday. Just heads up not to expect that today and probably not tomorrow. Speaking of, remember we're off Mondays now. Anyway, I intend to do that and hopefully whittle on the todo list otherwise as energy permits.

- I may do feedback, I'd love to get back into the habit but I'm being careful about overdoing it right now.
<Afina> Forever.

Ebiris

If you want suggestions for things to stat out, how about some artifacts? Just to show off some of the things potentially floating around that have unique circumstances and abilities.

Anastasia

Quote from: Ebiris on July 11, 2020, 12:45:24 PM
If you want suggestions for things to stat out, how about some artifacts? Just to show off some of the things potentially floating around that have unique circumstances and abilities.

Sure. Have one relevant to Alicia's concerns then. Not everything is said about this, but you can make some inferences and assumptions about it, as well as speculate reasonably as to why it's a greater artifact. If nothing else, the high save DC all but says it's something important.

Kyre'quarlani

This steel helmet is in pristine condition, as if polished and newly made. It is impossible to damage, scuff or mar by any means and always appears as a plain, open faced helmet. It does not radiate magic at all, though it has a few peculiarities. When a creature's reflection is seen in the polished steel of the helmet, it shows the creature how it wishes to be, not as it currently is. This works even on creatures warded from divinations by any means short of mind blank. Creatures under a mind blank spell are not reflected, but nor are they are able to see or perceive Kyre'quarlani by any means.

The origins of this helmet are not clear and attempts to discern its history routinely fail, be they mundane or magical. Those who use 10th level or higher magic find they can discern that this helmet was made by Beezlebub, Lord of the Seventh Hell. However, with this knowledge comes a curse (DC 70 Will negates) that causes the caster to be unable to hear anything but the buzzing of flies. This curse can only be removed by a deity who succeeds on an opposed rank check against Beezlebub or a wish or miracle spell that succeeds on a CL 70 caster level check.

Kyre'quarlani's has a single ability, one that takes effect when it is worn. When it is worn, check the the creature's ability scores. Ignore any temporary bonuses to ability scores as well as any bonuses from items, but count any increases from permanent gains to an ability score. Ability damage and ability drain are also not counted. What happens next depends on the creature's ability scores.

If all of the creature's ability scores are 18 or higher, nothing happens. The helmet may be removed freely. If worn it serves as a normal, non magical helmet save that it is never damaged in any way and cannot be penetrated. While it does not protect against concussive trauma to the head, no blade, claw or weapon will pierce it.

If any of the creature's ability scores are below 18, they rise to 18. This is a permanent increase. However, for each point the creature gains in this fashion, they suffer 7d10 points of damage. This damage is taken before the ability score increase. This damage ignores damage reduction and similar mitigating factors, and if any of the damage is prevented, the ability score increase fails. A creature reduced to zero hit points or less from this damage is instantly slain and cannot be resurrected by any means. Worse, the creature's soul is drawn to Maladomini and becomes property of the Lord of the Seventh.

A creature who survives the damage must succeed on a DC 70 Will save or shift one step towards lawful alignment and one step towards evil alignment. For example, a neutral character who uses the helmet would become lawful evil, while a chaotic good creature would become neutral. Should a character succeed on this saving throw, the helmet vanishes. They suffer no other drawback, save that they are known and noted by the Lord of the Seventh, who now has an interest in them.

Kyre'quarlani rarely stays in one place or world for long, and if used 7 times will vanish as above.

Kyre'quarlani is a major artifact. Its means of destruction are being worn by a chaotic good saint who has at least one ability score rise from it, survives the damage taken and who passes the Will saving throw to resist alignment change.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

This spell is a bit odd because it's old. It has some notable similarities with Many Moments of Prescience.

Warlord's Insight
Divination
Level: Clr 13, Sor/Wiz 13
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Target: Creature touched
Duration: 1 min/level
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

This spell channels vast knowledge of your enemies into you. You gain a +8 insight bonus to attack rolls and weapon damage rolls. As an immediate action once per encounter, you may triple the bonus for a single attack roll and weapon damage roll (if the attack hits).
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Mystra's Barrier
Universal
Level: Brd 11, Clr 14, Pal 11, Rgr 11, Sor/Wiz 14
Components: V, S, Special
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Target: Creature touched
Duration: 1 day/level
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

This spell creates a special barrier around the touched creature. This barrier harmlessly reflects any attempts for a proxy spark or similar divine essence, save for the creature's own if they are a deity, that may flow into the creature through the Weave. The most likely source of this is a fragment of divine essence piggybacked onto a spell sent to the creature if they are a deity. The divine essence is not harmed or affected in any way, and safely returns to whence it came.

While this spell may be cast on a mortal, it offers them no practical benefit.

Special

This spell may only be cast by a deity.

This spell gets an OOC note. To be clear, Mystra's breaking the rules as far as she safely can. To avoid headaches for myself in the future, nothing in this spell should be considered typical or standard, or anything to necessarily copy into other spells. It's worth noting that the only reason this spell works even then is because it involves an attack that passes through the Weave. As Mystra is supreme in the Weave short of shenanigans, she can manage something like this. Additionally, Zaphkiel offered aid which allows the boundaries to be further pushed.

I wouldn't expect to ever see another spell that can only be cast by a deity.
<Afina> Forever.

Ebiris

So not only does the spell not steal what Shar expends in her casting, it actually ensures she doesn't actually expend it? That's pretty disappointing since rather than acting as a deterrent it actually encourages Shar to spam her own spell since it won't cost her anything to fire it against someone protected by this.

Anastasia

Zanimoth is posted in C&M.

This isn't a hugely important built storywise, but this is the first time in a long time I've had the energy to work on a stat block purely for the pleasure of it. It's good that I'm slowly feeling better and better as I work, and slowly turning more DMing aspects back on.
<Afina> Forever.

Ebiris

Alicia retrains Radiant Storm for Mystra's Barrier.

Anastasia

Okay, as you may notice I've done about zero creative work for B6 the past month or so. The simple truth is my health is growingly poor and that's impacted both my DMing performance as well creative output. I don't think this'll change, save anything mandatory, until after I can (hopefully) get some things treated. That's why it's been a quiet month for posts here, I've had zero energy when my body's more interested in shaking than cooperating.

In light of that, I'm going to take a week off sometime in the next month. This will probably be the week after next (starts September 7th, which is Labor Day in the US), but that's not set in stone yet. What is set is that I'd like to run a Friday one shot on that week. Something light and breezy, something to see how I hold up under a different gaming paradigm. It will be an IRC one shot.

I'm open to suggestions, though no complex systems to learn just for this, please.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

That one shot didn't happen for reasons that basically come down to fatigue and no one showing interest. I may still do it in the near future but not right now.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

Amaryl-related questions.

Is Tactical Advantage an eligible feat? How about Improved Favored Enemy?
What about a Salient Divine Ability that gives TA for all favored enemies the ranger has and IFE or Extra Favored Enemy to round it out?

Swift Hunter advances progression of skirmish bonus to AC, skirmish damage and favored enemy progression. From Amaryl's sheet I can see that 'favored enemies (+4 elementals, +2 undead, +4 evil outsiders)' doesn't take that under consideration, as her progress there is for 10 levels, not 31. Unless I miss my mark, the scout side is likewise calculated via Scout 21+Dragon Devotee5, and not Scout31+Dragon Devotee5.

Does Amaryl ever use Extend Spell? Energize Spell might be more interesting and fit her more. In fact, if she also changed Maximize Spell (which she never uses) to Concecrate Spell, Amaryl could aim for Vivacious Spell which is pretty neat! Maybe even instead of Epic Skill Focus(Stealth).
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on September 16, 2020, 05:16:41 PM
Amaryl-related questions.

Is Tactical Advantage an eligible feat?

Yes, she meets the prerequisites for it. That's just base attack bonus+5 and a single favored enemy.

QuoteHow about Improved Favored Enemy?

The non epic or epic feat? There's two feats with the same name. She qualifies for both regardless.

QuoteWhat about a Salient Divine Ability that gives TA for all favored enemies the ranger has and IFE or Extra Favored Enemy to round it out?

For the first, no need.

Epic Tactical Advantage [Epic]
Prerequisite: Tactical Advantage, at least four favored enemies, wis 23
Benefit: The benefits of your tactical advantage feat apply to all of your favored enemies. You use the bonus for each favored enemy on that respective type of favored enemy.

She would need one more favored enemy to qualify for it, though.

QuoteSwift Hunter advances progression of skirmish bonus to AC, skirmish damage and favored enemy progression. From Amaryl's sheet I can see that 'favored enemies (+4 elementals, +2 undead, +4 evil outsiders)' doesn't take that under consideration, as her progress there is for 10 levels, not 31. Unless I miss my mark, the scout side is likewise calculated via Scout 21+Dragon Devotee5, and not Scout31+Dragon Devotee5.

Remember, it's gestalt. The feats that allow classes to stack don't work that way in it because of houserules tied to gestalt. You can still take the feats to get any other advantages they offer, and Swift Hunter offers a neat way to enhance a build, but the class stacking isn't operational here.

QuoteDoes Amaryl ever use Extend Spell? Energize Spell might be more interesting and fit her more. In fact, if she also changed Maximize Spell (which she never uses) to Concecrate Spell, Amaryl could aim for Vivacious Spell which is pretty neat! Maybe even instead of Epic Skill Focus(Stealth).

Amaryl doesn't use much metamagic because most of her magic isn't that important for her. She's primarily an archer, the metamagic is purely there because she gets bonus feats for metamagic. They're nice options but on a foe who can shut down her arrow game, odds are it has the defenses to shut down her secondary magic game, too.

That being said I don't really care if she adjust them, so go nuts there if you have suggestions.
<Afina> Forever.